Author Topic: Legitimate criticisms of each 2016 Presidential Candidate  (Read 741470 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Legitimate criticisms of each 2016 Presidential Candidate
« Reply #700 on: February 26, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
Yeah, for the first debate, we did devise a simple drinking game, but we had to stop about half an hour in.  Again, not kidding.

For 1/2 the country: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-official-gop-debate-drinking-game-rules-pt-10-20160225.

For the other 1/2: http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/meme-reveals-hilarious-official-bernie-sanders-drinking-game.

Those are awesome. If I'd done the first one during the Republican debate last night, I'd be in the hospital right now after getting my stomach pumped.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #701 on: February 26, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
Going back to the previous discussion about polling, I found this one amusing:

Finally we find that 38% of Florida voters think it's possible that Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer. 10% say he for sure is, and another 28% say that they are just not sure. Cruz is exonerated from being a toddler serial killer by 62% of the Sunshine State populace.

(Note: Cruz was born in 1970, two years after the Zodiac killer began murdering people. Insert Fark.com "Florida" tag here.)

If I was the Zodiak killer that is precisely the kind of alibi that I'd want to have lined up.
31% of people in South Carolina that voted for Trump think white people are a superior race or are unsure if white people are a superior race, while 69% of them think races are equal.
Only 1% of the South Carolina Carson supporters think it and 8% of South Carolina Kasich supporters. To be fair South Carolina is a pretty racist state though.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/25/upshot/measuring-donald-trumps-supporters-for-intolerance.html?_r=0

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #702 on: February 26, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »

31% of people in South Carolina that voted for Trump think white people are a superior race or are unsure if white people are a superior race, while 69% of them think races are equal.

The breakdown of that 31% is pretty crucial here.  There's a big gap between thinking something and being unsure.  We're also talking about a subset of a subset of a population (less than 5% of the total population of SC voted for Trump, of which only 31% answered that question "i don't know" or "yes" - which means about 1.5% of the population in SC overall.)

Only 1% of the South Carolina Carson supporters think it and 8% of South Carolina Kasich supporters. To be fair South Carolina is a pretty racist state though.
Holy crap that's an inflammatory statement.  Can we tone it down a bit?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #703 on: February 26, 2016, 01:59:21 PM »
Well... Chris Christie has endorsed Trump.

Trump/Christie 2016?  The two biggest verbal-brawlers in this entire primary?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #704 on: February 26, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »

The breakdown of that 31% is pretty crucial here.  There's a big gap between thinking something and being unsure.  We're also talking about a subset of a subset of a population (less than 5% of the total population of SC voted for Trump, of which only 31% answered that question "i don't know" or "yes" - which means about 1.5% of the population in SC overall.)

I was toning it down when I used "pretty racist"

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #705 on: February 26, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »

That's still way out of line, IMO.  You just called a state with almost 5 million people "Pretty racist".  holy crap man.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #706 on: February 26, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »

That's still way out of line, IMO.  You just called a state with almost 5 million people "Pretty racist".  holy crap man.
Well that is nicer than "most racist state":
http://www.thetoptens.com/most-racists-states-us/south-carolina-459214.asp
I think if you use the textbook definition of racism and then use the state as verbiage for "the people of the state of", he might be accurate.  Is that nice?  No, but it may be reality.  Should we not say truthful statements because they might upset someone especially when that fact harms others or is it better to call out that harm (racism/sexism etc)?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #707 on: February 26, 2016, 02:48:16 PM »

I think if you use the textbook definition of racism and then use the state as verbiage for "the people of the state of", he might be accurate.  Is that nice?  No, but it may be reality.  Should we not say truthful statements because they might upset someone especially when that fact harms others or is it better to call out that harm (racism/sexism etc)?
That's not even an article or empirical evidince, it's just online hate... a bunch of random strangers voting.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #708 on: February 26, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »

That's not even an article or empirical evidince, it's just online hate... a bunch of random strangers voting.
I did not say it was accurate.  I said it was nicer than it could be.  I also said he might be right. 

ForumModerator

• Global Moderator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #709 on: February 26, 2016, 02:56:38 PM »
MOD NOTE: Please get the discussion back on track.  In other words, not what's been happening.  Try to avoid over-generalizations, if possible.  Cheers!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #710 on: February 26, 2016, 07:42:11 PM »
MOD NOTE: Please get the discussion back on track.  In other words, not what's been happening.  Try to avoid over-generalizations, if possible.  Cheers!

Ok... so to get back on track with this topic thread (Legitimate cricisms of each 2016 (former) Presidential candidate)...

Christie....he endorsed Trump.  That pretty much drops him down a few notches in my book, and makes me not want to support him on any future presidential campaigns...

desertadapted

• Stubble
« Reply #711 on: February 27, 2016, 08:40:34 PM »
This thread has been populated by folks with far more stachian than this lurker, so I apologize for intruding.  I've been stuck on the following question: most of the articles I've read have compared Republican primary turnout to 2012 (it's higher in 2016), but have compared Democrat turnout to 2008 (it's lower - anyone who cried a bit seeing Will I Am's "Yes We Can" video isn't surprised by that).  But I've been struggling to find a good site/cite that compares D turnout in 2012 to R turnout in 2012 and 2016.  I'm a D.  Many of my best friends are R's and I seem to recall them telling me that R enthusiasm in 2012 was high, and that was one of the reasons that the "BO beating MR polls"  were all wrong (e.g., low Dem turnout invalidated the regular polls showing a D victory).  I'm trying to get a clear handle on the enthusiasm gap, if one exists.  I've heard a lot about the demographic challenges the R's are facing (those who followed 2012 are very familiar), and have assumed that what could beat a D in 2016 was enthusiasm by the R's.

I'm not trying to oversell the point, but it looks like Trump is doing pretty well, and HRC is set to lock up the nomination.  I'm not trying to upset those of you who feel Bernie has the revolution coming, or that Marco's going to mount a spectacular comeback. If I could predict the future I'd be like Biff and I'd be FIRE already.  But I'm trying to get a handle on what the polling actually means for later in the year.  If you've seen something that compares D enthusiasm today to what it was in 2012, and compares it to R 2016, I'd love to hear about it.  It may be off topic --  apologies.   I'm just trying to understand the Real Clear Politics polls I'm looking at.   Thanks.  I understand this is a question and not a "legitimate" criticism of the candidates -- whatever the hell that is.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #712 on: February 27, 2016, 08:50:07 PM »

Here's the bottom line: you can choose between a fascist, fascist, fascist, fascist, fascist... or Sanders.

desertadapted

• Stubble
« Reply #713 on: February 27, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
Seriously? Definition of fascism: "a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition"

Leaving aside the R's, because I'd never convince you.  But you actually believe that HRC is a fascist?  I get that she isn't as liberal as Sanders.  But fascist?  Is this like Godwin's law?  Or did I miss some irony that I'll be embarrassed about later? Which happens.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #714 on: February 27, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »
Here's the bottom line: you can choose between a fascist, fascist, fascist, fascist, fascist... or Sanders.

Seriously, out of all the above, you think that Sanders is the closest to Libertarian principles?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #715 on: February 28, 2016, 07:00:39 AM »

Fascism (Definition): an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

The hallmarks of fascism include a government that is totalitarian in nature, socially conservative in character, and militaristic in tone (with the military controlling domestic affairs).

Cruz isn't a fascist - he want's to utterly deconstruct the federal government and put (or return, depending on your viewpoint) almost all of the power to individual states and local governments.

Trump - who knows.  In the last 20 years he's been a Democrat, an independent, a moderate republican, "the most conservative guy in this race", and very lately someone who has gone against some of the right-wings dearest philosophies.

Rubio wants a far larger military and favors constitutional amendments against gay marriage, which suggests large governmental control congruent with fascism.  BUT, he also wants to strike down federal oversight into things like Common Core, health Care etc... so also not a fascist.

Clinton isn't a fascist - she pretty much represents a continuation of Obama's policies (unless you are calling Obama a fascist too... which I also disagree with.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #716 on: February 28, 2016, 09:06:28 AM »
So, are y'all disagreeing with politicalcompass.org's characterization of every candidate except Sanders as a radical right-wing authoritarian, or my characterization that radical right-wing authoritarian = fascist? (I'm trying to find out if y'all are delusional, or if we're just quibbling over vocabulary.)

And yes -- between his support for unconstitutional mass surveillance, support for subjugation of civil rights in favor of corporate interests (e.g. the TPP), and willingness to execute American citizens without trial, I think Obama qualifies as much as Clinton does.

desertadapted

• Stubble
« Reply #717 on: February 28, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »
Well, you've won the thread.  Once someone attacks Obama from left as a fascist, it's time to move on.  There's not enough oxygen left.  Don't worry, I've face punched myself for engaging in the first place.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #718 on: February 28, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
So, are y'all disagreeing with politicalcompass.org's characterization of every candidate except Sanders as a radical right-wing authoritarian, or my characterization that radical right-wing authoritarian = fascist? (I'm trying to find out if y'all are delusional, or if we're just quibbling over vocabulary.)

I'm disagreeing with YOUR characterization of the candidates as fascist.  I could go into more detail, but let's just use Ted Cruz as an example.
I do not doubt that Ted Cruz is very, very far to the right.  However, he does not want a very strong federal government - his views are very clearly to take away power from the Federal Government and give/return it to the individual states and (in many case) individuals.  IN many ways it is the exact opposite of a fascist (who wants a very strong, authoritarian federal government that controls all facets of individual citizens' lives). 
Ergo - Cruz is NOT a fascist.  I don't agree with the vast majority of his views, but just because I don't like fascists and I don't like far-right politics doesn't mean that far-right politicians are fascists. 

If we can stick to legitimate criticisms of individual candidates we might actually get back this thread.  I have my doubts though.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #719 on: February 28, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »

I'm disagreeing with YOUR characterization of the candidates as fascist.  I could go into more detail, but let's just use Ted Cruz as an example.

When that web site characterizes every EU government in the same quadrant that Jack call fascist, it's entirely possible that both the site and Jack are completely wrong:
http://politicalcompass.org/euchart

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #720 on: February 28, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »

I do not doubt that Ted Cruz is very, very far to the right.  However, he does not want a very strong federal government - his views are very clearly to take away power from the Federal Government and give/return it to the individual states and (in many case) individuals.  IN many ways it is the exact opposite of a fascist (who wants a very strong, authoritarian federal government that controls all facets of individual citizens' lives). 

Okay, so... apparently, you inexplicably think Ted Cruz is libertarian? How do you explain him being at the top right of the graph instead of the bottom right? What other right-wing authoritarian label do you think fits him better? Dominionist, maybe? I can agree with that...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #721 on: February 28, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »

Okay, so... apparently, you inexplicably think Ted Cruz is libertarian? How do you explain him being at the top right of the graph instead of the bottom right? What other right-wing authoritarian label do you think fits him better? Dominionist, maybe? I can agree with that...

I never, ever called Ted Cruz a liberatarian.  I merely said he is absolutely NOT a fascist.  Just because someone has political ideals you intensely deplore doesn't make them a fascist. 

An analogy:  I think Adolph Hitler was a disaster for Germany, and I think that Fidel Castro was a disaster for Cuba.  But that doesn't make Castro a Nazi.  Likewise, being ultra-conservative doesn't automatically make you a fascist.  You must also believe in a totalitarian centralized government. 

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #722 on: February 28, 2016, 12:54:07 PM »

Well, as a woman of reproductive age, he seems pretty fucking fascist to me.

That's the thing with nut jobs like Ted Cruz -- they say they are for individual freedom, but really they are for the freedom for rich people to make as much money as they like, in any way they like. That and the freedom for white people to have and carry as many guns as they can.

As for the freedom for women to determine what's done with their own bodies, or for normal people to have the same access to politicians that rich people get, or for communities to have clean drinking water,  or for children to eat, well, those all seem to somehow fall outside the "freedom" umbrella.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:56:07 PM by miss madge »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #723 on: February 28, 2016, 02:37:56 PM »

That's the thing with nut jobs like Ted Cruz -- they say they are for individual freedom, but really they are for the freedom for rich people to make as much money as they like, in any way they like. That and the freedom for white people to have and carry as many guns as they can.

As for the freedom for women to determine what's done with their own bodies, or for normal people to have the same access to politicians that rich people get, or for communities to have clean drinking water,  or for children to eat, well, those all seem to somehow fall outside the "freedom" umbrella.
You can find someone's political ideology completely repulsive even though they aren't fascist.  Your response about allowing people to carry as many guns at they can proves that - a fascist government wouldn't individuals to arm themselves.  They also wouldn't try to strip powers from the federal government and give them to the states.

colloquially people like to call any political ideology they don't like 'fascist' but that makes the term somewhat meaningless. 

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #724 on: February 28, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »

Those 'freedoms', with the exception of your own body, are results of depriving other people of their stuff. If you need to deprive someone of their labor or property by force, it's not a freedom. I wish people would understand this. Taxpayer funding to an organization that performs abortions is not a freedom. It's not a right. Eating is not a right. Healthcare is not a right. Water is not a right. You have the right to purchase food that someone else grew, to purchase water that someone else purifies and extracts, to pay a doctor for their services, to pay for an abortion.

The Constitution clearly spells this out, try reading it once.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #725 on: February 28, 2016, 03:16:21 PM »
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are natural rights that cannot rightfully be revoked by any government (even though they are every day). Can you honestly say that the people of Flint have not had their rights violated? That Trayvon Martin didn't have his rights violated?

Still unclear why so many conservatives think that the right of someone to make and protect and hoard unlimited amounts of money is more important than any of these three.

But it's annoying to discuss politics with people whose ideologies so thoroughly blind them to reality, so, peace. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #726 on: February 28, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »

Those 'freedoms', with the exception of your own body, are results of depriving other people of their stuff. If you need to deprive someone of their labor or property by force, it's not a freedom. I wish people would understand this. Taxpayer funding to an organization that performs abortions is not a freedom. It's not a right. Eating is not a right. Healthcare is not a right. Water is not a right. You have the right to purchase food that someone else grew, to purchase water that someone else purifies and extracts, to pay a doctor for their services, to pay for an abortion.

"Water is not a right."

Wow.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #727 on: February 28, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
"Water is not a right."

Wow.

Go into a store, grab a jug of water off the shelf and walk out, see if the store protests. If they do, blithely tell them that you have a right to that stolen water.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #728 on: February 28, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »

How about when laws are passed to close clinics for no reason except that they provide abortion care?  Right to personal autonomy is very much a right.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #729 on: February 28, 2016, 03:21:25 PM »
"Water is not a right."

Wow.

Go into a store, grab a jug of water off the shelf and walk out, see if the store protests. If they do, blithely tell them that you have a right to that stolen water.

It terrifies me that there are people who have bought so far into the commodification of EVERYTHING that they have lost their basic humanity.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #730 on: February 28, 2016, 03:28:17 PM »
"Water is not a right."

Wow.

It terrifies me that there are people who have bought so far into the commodification of EVERYTHING that they have lost their basic humanity.

It's actually basic economics. People work to provide that water, to build the infrastructure, to do maintenance and services. People that need a wage to support their family. If no one paid them, there would be no water available for anyone. Even your warped sense of 'humanity' has to bow to reality.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #731 on: February 28, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »
"Water is not a right."

Wow.

It's actually basic economics. People work to provide that water, to build the infrastructure, to do maintenance and services. People that need a wage to support their family. If no one paid them, there would be no water available for anyone. Even your warped sense of 'humanity' has to bow to reality.

So I'm guessing that you think the only reason air is a basic right is that no one has figured out how to bottle it?

Or do you think breatheable air isn't a right, either?

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #732 on: February 28, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
How about when laws are passed to close clinics for no reason except that they provide abortion care?  Right to personal autonomy is very much a right.

Not if it's supported by public funding. The public, even the people that disagree with you, have the right to where their money goes and what it goes towards. Now if they closed privately funded clinics I'd think differently.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #733 on: February 28, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »

You can find someone's political ideology completely repulsive even though they aren't fascist.  Your response about allowing people to carry as many guns at they can proves that - a fascist government wouldn't individuals to arm themselves.  They also wouldn't try to strip powers from the federal government and give them to the states.

colloquially people like to call any political ideology they don't like 'fascist' but that makes the term somewhat meaningless.

The worst part of it to me is the inconsistency and arbitrariness. Super authoritarian in some ways (reproductive rights) and super laissez-faire with others (the environment). It's not really a coherent ideology. There are fascist elements for sure -- the 'social conservative' parts -- and there are other elements that are just about sucking corporate cock.

Is sucking corporate cock fascist? I think it can be.

And I think that 'returning power to the states' can also be part of a fascist regime, especially when the districts have been drawn and voting rights have been curtailed to the point that the state level is tipped in one direction. Imagine -- Ted Cruz becomes president and nominates a justice that overturns Roe v Wade, or even just upholds some lower court rulings that allow for access to abortions to be limited to the point that women in half the states can no longer receive abortions. Would those women not experience this as authoritarian control of their lives from the right? Isn't authoritarian control from the right what fascism is?

I mean, if only one state decides to implement "The Handmaid's Tale," that is still serious fascism in that state.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:36:40 PM by miss madge »

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #734 on: February 28, 2016, 03:33:34 PM »

Not if it's supported by public funding. The public, even the people that disagree with you, have the right to where their money goes and what it goes towards. Now if they closed privately funded clinics I'd think differently.
Then you might want to think a bit differently, and google TRAP laws. 

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #735 on: February 28, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »
So I'm guessing that you think the only reason air is a basic right is that no one has figured out how to bottle it?

As far as I know no one has to work in order to provide breathable air for you. Does breathable air deprive anyone of their liberty?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #736 on: February 28, 2016, 03:36:55 PM »

As far as I know no one has to work in order to provide breathable air for you. Does breathable air deprive anyone of their liberty?

Maybe google Clean Air Act.

And also recognize that part of the reason drinkable water is an issue is because of industrial water use that pollutes water and then has to be cleaned.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #737 on: February 28, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »

Sure -- I might have to get the plant up the street to stop pumping chemicals into the air that fuck with my breathing. Those poor souls will then be denied their right to make as much money as possible by polluting the commons.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #738 on: February 28, 2016, 03:39:25 PM »

Then you might want to think a bit differently, and google TRAP laws.

TRAP laws, they're not closing clinics, how is this any different than increasing regulations on employers in a different sense, in the guise of safety or environmentalism? Or are we actually saying that increased regulations towards improving safety are harmful to a business and customers?

I'm against increasing regulations in general, so yes, I'm against TRAP.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #739 on: February 28, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »

And also recognize that part of the reason drinkable water is an issue is because of industrial water use that pollutes water and then has to be cleaned.

Both of you ladies are talking about the damage of pollutants which can cause physical harm. Your right in this case is a question as to whether the right to pollute (the company) is greater or less than your right to not be poisoned by the reasonable act of breathing. Basically it's saying that harming you is bad, not that you have a right to pure mountain spring air.

I would agree with you, I don't want to be poisoned but certain levels of poison are acceptable. But that's not an inherent right, merely a measurement as to the level of pollution which is acceptable vs the harm that it does to society.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #740 on: February 28, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »

Both of you ladies are talking about the damage of pollutants which can cause physical harm. Your right in this case is a question as to whether the right to pollute (the company) is greater or less than your right to not be poisoned by the reasonable act of breathing. Basically it's saying that harming you is bad, not that you have a right to pure mountain spring air.

I would agree with you, I don't want to be poisoned but certain levels of poison are acceptable. But that's not an inherent right, merely a measurement as to the level of pollution which is acceptable vs the harm that it does to society.

Congratulations. You are an apologist for the worst tendencies in our society.

I'm done here. Feeling disgusted, and I have better things to do with my evening.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:49:36 PM by Kris »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #741 on: February 28, 2016, 03:49:09 PM »
Can you honestly say that the people of Flint have not had their rights violated?
What has happened in Flint is awful.

Unfortunately for Democrats who would like to use it as a political lever to dislodge the current Republican governor, it's likely that he is as blameless (or culpable, if you prefer) as Obama is for the EPA-caused river disaster in Colorado.

Sometimes CEOs, Presidents, Governors, etc. are truly bad actors.  Sometimes it is someone much further down the hierarchy that made the real mistake.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #742 on: February 28, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
Those 'freedoms', with the exception of your own body, are results of depriving other people of their stuff. If you need to deprive someone of their labor or property by force, it's not a freedom. ... Water is not a right. ...

Yaeger might not have picked the most eloquent example or given much of an explanation, but if you construe his or her post charitably, it does contain a substantive point that can't just be summarily dismissed -- certainly not with a bold assertion that this person is not human. That is a personal attack, not an argument. I think it's very likely that Yaeger is human, although I'm not completely sure given the progress discussed in the AI thread.

As for the merits, Yaeger refers to the US Constitution. This is the same Constitution that specifically authorises Congress to "lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to ... provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States". Art 1, § 8, cl 1 (emphasis mine). The power to provide for the general welfare through taxation necessarily involves taking the property of other people -- by coercive measures if necessary, up to and including violence -- and redistributing that property to those in need. This is clearly part of the vision of freedom that exists in the United States, as measured by the Constitution itself.

That said, we can and should recognise that employing coercive force to redistribute property is a serious matter that needs to be carefully considered at every step. As the National Taxpayer Advocate has recently explained,
                 ... taxation involves taking money from one person and applying that taking to the greater good of many, if not all. That is an extraordinary thing to ask of people. ...

When we talk about taxpayers’ willingness to comply, we really have to consider the relationship between the taxpayer and the government. This essentially involves an analysis of the dynamics between power and trust. Specifically, the government — and by extension, the tax agency — holds the awesome power of the state . For the tax system to work, the taxpayer has to trust that the government will use its power wisely and legitimately. If it does, taxpayers will be more willing to comply with the tax laws and meet their tax obligations.
Annual Report to Congress 2015, Executive Summary at *13 (emphasis mine).

In conclusion, the US Constitution supports depriving people of their property by force in order to redistribute wealth, but that doesn't mean this is a trivial thing to do. It is an action that needs to be carefully justified.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #743 on: February 28, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »
Those 'freedoms', with the exception of your own body, are results of depriving other people of their stuff. If you need to deprive someone of their labor or property by force, it's not a freedom. ... Water is not a right. ...

Yaeger might not have picked the most eloquent example or given much of an explanation, but if you construe his or her post charitably, it does contain a substantive point that can't just be summarily dismissed -- certainly not with a bold assertion that this person is not human. That is a personal attack, not an argument. I think it's very likely that Yaeger is human, although I'm not completely sure given the progress discussed in the AI thread.

As for the merits, Yaeger refers to the US Constitution. This is the same Constitution that specifically authorises Congress to "lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to ... provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States". Art 1, § 8, cl 1 (emphasis mine). The power to provide for the general welfare through taxation necessarily involves taking the property of other people -- by coercive measures if necessary, up to and including violence -- and redistributing that property to those in need. This is clearly part of the vision of freedom that exists in the United States, as measured by the Constitution itself.

That said, we can and should recognise that employing coercive force to redistribute property is a serious matter that needs to be carefully considered at every step. As the National Taxpayer Advocate has recently explained,
                 ... taxation involves taking money from one person and applying that taking to the greater good of many, if not all. That is an extraordinary thing to ask of people. ...

When we talk about taxpayers’ willingness to comply, we really have to consider the relationship between the taxpayer and the government. This essentially involves an analysis of the dynamics between power and trust. Specifically, the government — and by extension, the tax agency — holds the awesome power of the state . For the tax system to work, the taxpayer has to trust that the government will use its power wisely and legitimately. If it does, taxpayers will be more willing to comply with the tax laws and meet their tax obligations.

In conclusion, the US Constitution supports depriving people of their property by force in order to redistribute wealth, but that doesn't mean this is a trivial thing to do. It is an action that needs to be carefully justified.

I'd also note what you posted is incorrect. The phrase is "provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare." Meaning the government has the express permission to levy taxes for a military and defense force, but it can just promote the general Welfare. In addition to that, the 10th Amendment specifically grants the rights not specified in the Constitution (healthcare, anti-poverty, etc) to the states.

People may disagree, but I don't read "promote" to mean "provide".

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #744 on: February 28, 2016, 04:06:53 PM »

I'd also note what you posted is incorrect. The phrase is "provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare." Meaning the government has the express permission to levy taxes for a military and defense force, but it can just promote the general Welfare. In addition to that, the 10th Amendment specifically grants the rights not specified in the Constitution (healthcare, anti-poverty, etc) to the states.

Dude, when you're disagreeing with someone who's trying to defend you to correct them, you better be damn sure you're right.  And when that person provides a link to the text at hand, and you still erroneously "correct" them, you're just making sure that no one else is going to help you try to make your argument.

That Cathy knows the Constitution better than you is secondary to the fact that you ignore the text of the Constitution in favor of the preamble.  Don't bite the hand that tries to help you out.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #745 on: February 28, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »

Dude, when you're disagreeing with someone who's trying to defend you to correct them, you better be damn sure you're right.  And when that person provides a link to the text at hand, and you still erroneously "correct" them, you're just making sure that no one else is going to help you try to make your argument.

That Cathy knows the Constitution better than you is secondary to the fact that you ignore the text of the Constitution in favor of the preamble.  Don't bite the hand that tries to help you out.

You're right, when you're reading something like the Constitution interpreting the document based upon the intentions of the drafters is the most important thing. I'd recommend reading the Federalist Papers, good insight on the Constitution from the drafters and the reasoning behind it. I feel as if the Preamble is the most important part of the document, as it outlines the intentions of the Constitution and frames the general role of the federal government in one paragraph.

Posting that phrase from Art. 1 Sec. 8 doesn't really, in my opinion, better reflect the intentions of the document than the more descriptive phrase in the Preamble.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #746 on: February 28, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »
You're right, when you're reading something like the Constitution interpreting the document based upon the intentions of the drafters is the most important thing. I'd recommend reading the Federalist Papers, good insight on the Constitution from the drafters and the reasoning behind it. I feel as if the Preamble is the most important part of the document, as it outlines the intentions of the Constitution and frames the general role of the federal government in one paragraph.

Posting that phrase from Art. 1 Sec. 8 doesn't really, in my opinion, better reflect the intentions of the document than the more descriptive phrase in the Preamble.

Speaking of laws: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_holes. :)

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #747 on: February 28, 2016, 04:23:59 PM »

Speaking of laws: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_holes. :)

Lol, I'll stop talking. Thank guys.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #748 on: February 28, 2016, 05:01:32 PM »

Bull. People like Cruz support the "right" for polluters to foul my air and water, but not my right to defend myself against them (indeed: as you pointed out, they'd destroy my ability to harvest it for myself, and then add insult to injury by forcing me to buy theirs instead!). People like Cruz support the "right" for theocrats to force their religiously-motivated laws upon me. People like Cruz would think it's perfectly fine for all technology to spy on everyone and for the corporations who control communications networks to shut off the free speech of anyone they don't agree with, and instead claim I'm "free" to build my own billion-dollar chip fab and build my own multi-billion dollar nationwide telecom network! (If you don't see how that's a problem, you can straight up go fuck yourself.) People like Cruz would have us all be bound by contracts of adhesion that destroy our right to bring class-action lawsuits, or indeed, redress grievances in court at all and instead be subject to blatantly biased 'binding arbitration' based on the utterly absurd and contemptible idea that an individual can reasonably negotiate a contract with a billion-dollar corporation. Cruz's philosophy is that money makes right, public good be damned. Maybe that kind of corporatism isn't technically fascist because the oppression has been outsourced instead of executed by the government directly, but it leads to the same result.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #749 on: February 28, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »

Bull. People like Cruz support the "right" for polluters to foul my air and water, but not my right to defend myself against them (indeed: as you pointed out, they'd destroy my ability to harvest it for myself, and then add insult to injury by forcing me to buy theirs instead!). People like Cruz support the "right" for theocrats to force their religiously-motivated laws upon me. People like Cruz would think it's perfectly fine for all technology to spy on everyone and for the corporations who control communications networks to shut off the free speech of anyone they don't agree with, and instead claim I'm "free" to build my own billion-dollar chip fab and build my own multi-billion dollar nationwide telecom network! (If you don't see how that's a problem, you can straight up go fuck yourself.) People like Cruz would have us all be bound by contracts of adhesion that destroy our right to bring class-action lawsuits, or indeed, redress grievances in court at all and instead be subject to blatantly biased 'binding arbitration' based on the utterly absurd and contemptible idea that an individual can reasonably negotiate a contract with a billion-dollar corporation. Cruz's philosophy is that money makes right, public good be damned. Maybe that kind of corporatism isn't technically fascist because the oppression has been outsourced instead of executed by the government directly, but it leads to the same result.

I think it's humorous that crony capitalism and corporatism exists in the form that it does today because people feel the need to regulate and control businesses and free enterprise for 'the common good'. That's always the cry isn't it? Big evil corporations doing big evil bad things, so we need to give government more power to benevolently swoop in and save us from the uncaring, greedy capitalists. Sadly, people don't realize that the only REAL threat to these big guys is market competition, yet our predilection towards increasing labor, regulations, and general restrictions only serves to disproportionally hurt their smaller competitors. Also, I don't think your base argument is well-reasoned. Corporations derive their power from money, specifically voluntary transactions from consumers. People willingly GIVE them money. I guess it's easier for you to vilify business instead of telling people to stop buying Starbucks.

Also, I think some of what your describing is a result of our tax policy. The government cares more about the taxpayers than it does the voters, like it should. People that contribute to the government, to the public good, will naturally have more influence on the use of those tax dollars than the people that contribute nothing. If you want a say in government, you pay your equal share of taxes. If you push the lion's share of the public burden on the shoulder's of the few, you're setting yourself up for failure, for cronyism, for corruption. It's partially the reason that prior to the 16th Amendment the government was only able to levy taxes proportionally across the population. For most of our history the federal government couldn't tax one citizen more than another. People were less likely to use votes to steal things from fellow citizens like healthcare, food, water, etc. "Trading votes for food" used to be a common phrase during the 1930's.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!