Author Topic: Is this fair?  (Read 6476 times)

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is this fair?
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:24:53 AM »
I'm looking ahead to summer, which in our family means pool season.  Our local private pool (5 minute walk from the house) went out of business at the end of this summer and the property is being redeveloped for condos, so we're having to look farther afield.  There is a pool 6.5 miles from us that is reachable mostly by a dedicated bike path (about 1.5 miles of city street biking to get to the path, and about .5 miles from the path to the pool).  Is it fair for me to expect my son to bike 13 miles (mostly flat) roundtrip to go the pool?  The only other options are 1) no pool (much wailing and gnashing of teeth); 2) take the bus (actually, two buses, with an exchange plus walking - about 1 hour for a one-way trip); or 3) I add to my stable of bikes by buying a used tandem that he can ride with me (but he's turning 11 - for how long would he be willing to ride on a tandem with his mom?)  He insists that we should drive there, but that is not happening (I might not even have a car by summertime anyway).

So...is it fair of me to predicate his pool attendance on biking a rather significant distance to get there?

Donovan

• Stubble
Re: Is this fair?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
(Note: I don't have kids, so I'm coming at this from a 'What would I have liked when I was younger' standpoint.)

Is there any way to use this to try and get your son into biking (since you clearly advocate it)? I would say that distance is not horribly far for an occasional trip, and it would provide good exercise and improve his confidence on the bike for other excursions. Any way you can incentivize the bike trips to he would go with it until he starts to enjoy it and see it as normal?

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
when I was a kid I rode a bike 5 miles each way regularly to get to the ball fields to play w my friends... if there had been a pool id probably have been willing to ride 10 miles each way.  If the bike route is safe, I wouldn't even make it up for discussion- I'd just say its your choice to go to the pool or not- if you go, you'll be taking your bike... and maybe don't buy a whole season pass until he actually does it a couple of times...

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
@sandandsun:  that's my attitude exactly - if you want it, this is what you have to do!  But I do have a tendency to be a bit hard-line about things, especially involving not driving, and I'm never sure when I'm being *too* hard-line, kwim?  And your point is good too - it's only nowadays that people think of distances like that as long (I was looking at it from his perspective).  I used to walk probably 10-12 miles a day in the summer when I was a kid and thought nothing of it.  It just requires a perspective shift.  When I first stopped teaching and was able to walk him to school everyday (.6 miles one way - not far at all!) he complained bitterly about it, but now he's used to walking to school no matter what the weather.  He did the same when I insisted that we only walk to his doctor's office (4 miles round-trip), and now he sees that as normal too. 

@donovan:  that's a good thought.  Maybe a new (used) bike would be a good incentive.  He's outgrown his old one, which is sized for perhaps the average 8-year-old and he is a very tall 10-year-old.  When biking, he looks kind of like the cycling equivalent of a giant clown in a tiny car!

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »
I don't think you're being too hardline at all. If he wants the luxury of the pool, he needs to take steps to make it happen. From what you say, replacing his bike sounds like a good idea.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
The riding isn't bad but I am not sure I would want an 11 year old to be be riding alone for that length and time, seems young to me.  If you or an older sibling/friend is riding with him then yeah no problem - 6.5 miles shouldn't be anything to an 11 year old.

StepMum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 09:32:29 AM »
Hi. Might want to take into account for the medical side of it//if a kid is exerting in the pool in the hot sun after an exerting bike ride for his age// and then bikes a significant way back home as well// that could be a prime  setup for dehydration. Just to keep in mind!!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 09:48:03 AM »
Why not bike alongside him for the first few days and find something to do nearby, to make sure it works? I don't think being alone for that length of a time in a non-terrifying area is any problem for the 11-year-old I remember being.

And yes, make sure he has a couple of good reusable water bottles strapped to his bike.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
I'm not 100% sure from your post if the plan was for you to bike together to the pool?  Or if you would expect him to go alone.

I would have no problem with a trusted 11 year old biking there with friends....I might worry if he were alone.

If you are going with him, this is a non-issue and I don't think it's too far, assuming he is relatively athletic, and you make sure he's got a water bottle and a good snack with him.

New (to him) bike sounds like a nice incentive too.

hunniebun

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 10:10:22 AM »
I think a 13 mile bike ride in an of itself isn't too bad...but add a few hours in the pool/sun and the ride home might be pretty exhausting.  I guess it would depend on his endurance!   My son is 6 and it is about a 30 minute ride to a really great park and I was thinking about this today if we could ride there, play the day and would he still have the energy to ride home? I am not sure...  So we might have to work up to it!  Maybe try riding there and back, together without the pool and see how long it actually takes?

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
I would make sure he had a cell phone so that he could call if he got too tired or wiped out and hurt himself or something.

HSLmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 01:56:31 PM »
I'm guessing that with a 10-11yo she'd be going with him, most people don't let kids swim unattended at that age. 

I think it's fair, I'm pretty sure my 6yo could do that if it was flat and not too hot.  Actually, he wouldn't mind the heat, I'm the one who wouldn't want to ride in the heat that much.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »
If your son can handle walking 4 miles then he can handle a 6.5 mile bike ride with you or an older person at least.  In this day in age someone might report you to child protective services even if it was reasonably safe for him to do it by himself.

Learner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »
When I was 13 (about 20 years ago) I really wanted to go to a basketball camp in the closest town - 40 km away.  There was no way I was getting a drive there, so I talked my parents into letting me bike.  Unfortunately, I knew next to nothing about bike maintenance at that point, so that trip only lasted a week before minors repairs caught up to me.

Oh, and side note: hitting one of those road to bridge transitions after a big hill while in a road bike will really mangle the tires.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »
My 7 and 8 year olds already do 16 miles RT with me.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »
When I was a kid we would bike that distance almost daily (in Texas heat).  If the route is safe and he knows it, I would give him a choice.  If he wants the pool then he has to bike, if he doesn't want to bike then no pool.  If he chooses to bike throw in a camelpak for hydration.   

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »
When I was a kid we would bike that distance almost daily (in Texas heat).  If the route is safe and he knows it, I would give him a choice.  If he wants the pool then he has to bike, if he doesn't want to bike then no pool.  If he chooses to bike throw in a camelpak for hydration.   
+1 Walked this distance to school in the Queensland heat! Rode bikes much further distances.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 05:17:52 AM »
More than fair.  At that age my kids would ride their bikes (together and with friends) around 5 miles to the lake to swim.  This was all done on sidewalks except for the road leading to the park and they were more than willing to do this to get the chance to swim.  We generally had at least one older teen or adult along (when they were in the 10-13yo age range) then once they hit teen years they could go on their own during lifeguard hours.  Even my 7yo will bike to/home to beach all summer without complaint. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!