Author Topic: Need some encouragement  (Read 664 times)

wilderness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need some encouragement
« on: January 20, 2024, 11:49:56 AM »
I'm very stubborn about trying to DIY as much as possible, but I'm getting frustrated because what usually happens is that I put so much time and even some money into projects, and at the end, I can always see the flaws and it feels like a hackjob. Being bad at something is the first step towards improvement and mastery, sure, but how do you convince yourself to stick with it?

draco44

• Pencil Stache
Re: Need some encouragement
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 01:23:01 PM »
First of all, good for you for trying to learn new skills and take repairs into your own hands. I'm not sure what type of DIYs you are working on, but here are some general thoughts:

- Step back and try to see the "flaws" you are identifying in your projects as an outside observer. Would someone else even notice what you see as flaws (i.e. are you you just being too critical of yourself)? Conversely, maybe some parts do look objectively shitty after you are done, but maybe that's an honest reflection of the DIY skill level you are at, and it would be unreasonable to expect yourself to have done better at this point. Try to be proud of what you DID accomplish, as well as your being willing to make an effort in the first place. Maybe the end result looks rough but is still functional - take that as a win. If there are things you'd like to do differently next time, take that as a valuable lesson but don't discount the good in what you've done so far.
- Remember you don't have to be a master of everything, and that just because you are good at some things doesn't mean everything will come easily to you. If there's something you want to get better at, sure, keep learning and growing, but sometimes a "hack job" is plenty good enough. This might be an odd reference, but did you ever see the viral clip of Belgian shot putter Jolien Boumkwo running the 100-metre hurdles to save her team from disqualification after both of Belgium's hurdlers got injured? Boumkwo is a master shot putter but wholly unqualified to run hurdles against other country's champion athletes. She finished the hurdles dead last by miles, but being the best wasn't the goal - all she needed to do was finish, and she did.  Sometimes just trying and getting the job done on a basic level is enough. Don't let self-consciousness about your limitations stop you from even starting.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 01:49:01 PM »
The key is to “start small” and build your skills and confidence over time. 

Build a birdhouse, then a doghouse, then a storage shed.  Paint, wallpaper, or tile a small bathroom before trying the major rooms. Your mistakes will be easier to repair or ignore in the less important rooms than in the main living areas. 

Before trying anything new watch plenty of YouTube videos.  They are a wonderful gift of modern technology.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 04:49:04 PM »
I also start small. I do simple DIY projects like recaulking the bathroom. I watch lots of YouTube videos before attempting. Hack jobs also bother me, because I don’t like the idea of spending money and then negatively impacting resale value. Also, they just look ugly. I also know my limits, which means I don’t do anything that requires a license - electric and plumbing and knocking down walls.