Author Topic: Reader Case Study: Cost Cutting, Reduce by $1000  (Read 18878 times)

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Reader Case Study: Cost Cutting, Reduce by $1000
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2015, 03:08:59 PM »
"Permanent" flooring isn't going to happen unless you put in slate/stone - anything else will wear sooner or later.
Would you consider ceramic tile as "permanent"?  Gas fireplace isn't a safety issue, a comfort and aesthetic thing.  The shed is semi attached to the house and with the poor drainage I am worried it may eventually cause an issue with the foundation (say over 15+ years).
Porcelain is more durable than ceramic, but also has the potential to be more expensive.

I agree getting the drainage sorted is worthwhile.

colganc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2015, 07:29:26 PM »
You seem to have garage drywall on your list twice, under "Drywall Garage..." and "Garage drywall..."

Make sure you're not double-counting the estimated cost in your more detailed list.

That was embarassing.  I did have it listed twice on my source list as well.  Estimate lowered.  :) Thanks.

colganc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 11:29:24 PM »
Sewer bill information:

- Base $51.70
- Usage $12.04
- Local Service Fee $4.08
- Surface Water Management $13.50
- Surface Water Management Local Service Fee $1.53

The usage is the only thing I can control.  I believe the surface water is calculated based on lot size.  This bill is bi-monthly.

Pretty crazy to me.  I forgot again to get the water bill, but will try to remember next month: it is bi-monthly.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 11:55:12 PM »
You have overestimated costs on a lot of your household stuff.

Water heater -- in many places they tell you water heaters will last 8-10 years because they get clogged full of hard water deposits.  Not in Oregon, though - our soft water means they go on for decades.  I had an installer tell me he knew of one that was still going after 35 years.  Mine was in the house when I bought it 19 years ago and it's doing fine.  Really there is no need to save up for something 19 years in advance.

Washer/dryer -- yeah, they'll give up at some point, but it could be years away.  I bought mine used 19 years ago.  Still going.  If you don't wash obsessively (I mean like some people do, putting in a load of just towels every day after taking a shower), and line-dry, they'll last even longer. 

Look for furniture etc. at estate sales.  Generally things are marked down to half price on Sundays.  Don't buy any of that stuff new.  The older stuff is much cheaper and generally much more durable.

A good front door should run you around $300.

Put all this extra money into eliminating your MI.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 07:38:48 AM »
You own a 2014 LEAF?! How much was that, $30,000? And you don't drive much? This is silly. Sell it and buy a <$10,000 Honda Fit. You'll probably get at least $10k cash extra instantly, and you can drop comprehensive/collision coverage and save tons on insurance! Check Geico, they're always cheapest when I shop for insurance (once a year)