Author Topic: Best “cold weather” purchase to increase quality of life  (Read 6516 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Best “cold weather” purchase to increase quality of life
« on: September 23, 2021, 05:32:59 AM »
Last year was my first winter back in a cold weather climate and it really took a toll on me. ( Pandemic obviously was a large factor in this) I otherwise love where I live and the quality of life I have but late December- March can be brutal as most of my joy/muse comes from being active out in nature. I did by a fat tire bike and cross country skis which made a big difference but sometimes those freezing/ dark/grey days are just too much.

I’m curious to know what purchases folks have made for the cold winter months that have had the greatest impact on their quality of life and well being.

Some ideas I’m considering:
Saunna for the backyard, hot tub, nice treadmills, most expensive: “no matter what” travel fund to do 3-4 day get aways in warm weather climates each month.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Best “cold weather” purchase to increase quality of life
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 05:44:58 AM »
An apartment in a high-rise building with a heated indoor garage, all snow removal taken care of daily, a gym, indoor pool and sauna, and convenience store and salon accessible by tunnel.

I live in a land of frozen hellscape, and winters have become very, very easy since we moved. I now understand why so many seniors live here.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:52:24 AM »
My electric blanket is my top cold weather must have.  I can't live without it.  I also highly recommend getting a light therapy lamp to help with SAD. 

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 06:22:13 AM »
Good quality clothes that you can layer to keep you warm when outside in cold weather.  Wool base layers, a "puffy" down jacket (or synthetic alternate), and an outer shell all make a big difference in comfort while outside.  Wool socks and good boots along with good gloves also make a big difference. 

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 06:40:33 AM »
I found buying a bunch of taps for our Maple trees made late February and most of March go by a little easier.

I also bought a  "Happy Light" and some vitamin D supplements, both of which seem to make a real difference.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 06:44:16 AM »
I found buying a bunch of taps for our Maple trees made late February and most of March go by a little easier.

I also bought a  "Happy Light" and some vitamin D supplements, both of which seem to make a real difference.

I didn't buy a happy light, but I did buy a Philips sunrise light that simulates a summer sunrise all winter.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 07:28:35 AM »
I moved about five years ago from the mid-Atlantic to a place with harsher winters than I had ever previously experienced (despite the fact that I grew up at a similar latitude, the place I live now is significantly colder).

For indoors, I like to have some really warm slippers that cover my ankles in addition to my feet. My current favorite are felted wool.

For outdoors, a really warm coat that is long enough to cover at least some of my thighs (I prefer brands like Lands End, Eddie Bauer, and LL Bean for good quality and warmth at not so steep prices). I tend to layer my clothing and I wear a lot of merino wool in the winter.

It gets cold enough here that my eyebrows, eyelashes, and nose hairs can collect my exhaled breathe and freeze. This still boggles my mind. Yet I am able to stay comfortable outside in severely cold weather (say -20 degrees F).

There's a huge difference in what you will find comfortable if you are moving vs. staying still. In very cold weather, I try to keep moving as much as possible (even a brisk walk is enough to stay comfortable).

If you are active when it is cold, you can sweat. You need to make sure that your sweat doesn't result in you getting even colder; this is part of why I love wool so much as it still keeps you warm even when it is wet. But it also means that you may have to dress a little less warmly than you think when you are being active. My rule of thumb is that I need to be a little bit cold when I first step outside in order to not overheat while engaging in physical activity.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
Number one would be a woodstove, number two would be a hot tub.
If I come home and the house is cold, first I make a fire and while the house is warming I wait in the hot tub.
I sort of hibernate in the winter.

Morning Glory

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 07:42:45 AM »
A good pair of warm boots: A well-meaning acquaintance told me to wait to buy winter things until I got to Minnesota because there's no sales tax on clothing.  It was February and below zero. The stores did not have winter stuff out anymore, and this was before there were so many options for online shopping. My job did not have parking so I had to walk or ride the bus to work. I just dealt with cold toes for a few months and bought boots the next fall.

Membership to a gym with an indoor pool is also nice.

AccidentialMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 07:48:12 AM »
A house with large, south facing windows. On the internet, nobody knows I'm actually a cat and solar powered to boot.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 07:51:58 AM »
My wife moved here (WI) from the south and the first couple winters were quite an adjustment for her. She swears by a coat called "Shiver Shield" - they're expensive but incredibly warm compared to most other winter coats. Warm boots and warm socks are important as well. Long underwear can also make a huge difference. Having grown up here myself, this all seems like overkill for me and I'd be sweating like a pig wearing long underwear and her Shiver Shield, but it works for her!

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 08:03:34 AM »

I didn't buy a happy light, but I did buy a Philips sunrise light that simulates a summer sunrise all winter.

ooooo I need to check these things out. The darkness of winter really gets to my wife every year so I'm trying to figure out ways to help her.

Anyone have other suggestions? (We are actually active in winter - we have the right clothing. So it's not that.)

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 08:17:20 AM »
Saunna for the backyard, hot tub, nice treadmills, most expensive: “no matter what” travel fund to do 3-4 day get aways in warm weather climates each month.

I wouldn't recommend trying to travel monthly to a warm climate for short getaways in winter, because it can be a significant hassle (often full of delays) to make that kind of trip. Winter weather often leads to delayed flights to or from your destination. Also, if you were planning to fly to the warm destination, please consider the carbon/climate impact of your flights.

One warm getaway (for a longer stretch of time) can help deal with the winter blahs - try to avoid peak travel times over holidays.

My recommendations:
1. We get a lot of use out of the treadmill and elliptical machine in our basement - it's great to be able to move and stay fit in the winter.
2. Cultivate an activity / hobby that makes it fun to go outside when it's cold. For example, if you get a lot of snow where you live, invest in snowshoes, take up ice skating, etc.
3. Indulge in having someone else deliver your groceries occasionally, so you don't have to slog out to the stores in snowy/icy weather.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 08:28:31 AM »
I’m not that far north but winter cold and darkness still get to me.  I love my phillips sunrise alarm. It really helps me function at a reasonable hour.

I second and third the long coat at least to thighs rec. I also wear layers and long underwear. Don’t under estimate the addition of even a light scarf for daily wear and heavier scarf and hat for lengthy outdoor time. We also have a Stanley thermos and pack tea along on walks.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 08:28:42 AM »
A house with large, south facing windows. On the internet, nobody knows I'm actually a cat and solar powered to boot.
I'm not a cat.....but, I can second the benefit of south facing windows........we moved to our dream home mid winter last year.....I can tell you that we had the windows open in February some days, it was 80F+ inside, way too warm for unpacking boxes.    We got blinds up before the summer heat killed us.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 08:35:12 AM »
We looked into getting a therapy pool since my wife has RA and she loves it for physical therapy.
But it looks like it would be a minimum of $25k for a decent one.  Plus she doesn't want one without a privacy fence. We have an extremely tiny backyard, and putting up a fence would make it even tinier, let alone at another $5k to the cost.

https://myswimpro.com/blog/2020/07/01/why-you-should-consider-getting-an-endless-pool/

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 08:38:28 AM »
When we lived in the mountains I really enjoyed the heavy duty insulated jumpsuit, that I called my "Super Suit".  I also really liked nice rugged slip-on insulated boots.  I could work outdoors for hours in on the coldest days and stay cozy warm.  The jumpsuit was an inexpensive copy of the Carhartt type that I found at a discount store called "Roses", most of which have since closed.  Whenever I see a Roses still one it brings back "warm" memories.  ;)

My most recent brand of favorite insulated slip-on boots are made by Keen.  Slip-ons are important when you're going in and out of the snow & need to shed your boots by the door multiple times per day. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 08:52:22 AM »
Not yet mentioned: a hot water bottle.  Warms up your bed before you get in, under a blanket with you keeps you warm if sitting and reading, quick way to warm up if you are cold when coming indoors, a big comfort if you are ill.  Pennies to boil a kettle to fill one up and your sitting room and bedroom can be a few degrees cooler while you still stay comfortable.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 09:05:41 AM »
Already mentioned, but for me it was warm clothes. Fleece liked carhartt pants, merino wool shirts, boots, gloves. I moved to Maine in January, and was so cold. even inside, which made me incredibly miserable. I bought a new wardrobe, and was immediately happier.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 09:14:41 AM »

Literally everyone on the internet knows I'm a cat.

Also yes, our wonderful apartment has huge SW facing floor to ceiling windows and balcony.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »
I can also confirm that the Philips sunrise lights are nice. I like mine quite a bit. Makes it possible for me to wake up at a reasonable time in the winter without an audible alarm.

Other relatively inexpensive recommendations include wool socks, fleece/flannel lined jeans, a good pair of slippers, and a fleece or hoodie that's warm easy to get on and off.

Heated seats are mandatory equipment on my vehicles. If your vehicle doesn't have them, you can find places that will retrofit them in (at least with cloth seats, don't know on leather) for a price in the low hundreds. They warm up so much faster than the rest of the car when it's cold and heat you directly. Also great if you find yourself with a sore back anytime.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 09:23:44 AM »
A quality down jacket. I've lived like 15 winters as an adult without one. Finally I invested in it and frankly I'm pissed I spent so long being cold!

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 09:29:40 AM »
Hmmm. Not for everyone, but something I didn't see mentioned yet. We bought a winter dog who is absolutely happiest in a pile of snow. So we spend lots of time outdoors in the winter and it's pure pleasure. Until we need to de-snowball his legs and paws.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 09:37:48 AM »
Number one would be a woodstove, number two would be a hot tub.
If I come home and the house is cold, first I make a fire and while the house is warming I wait in the hot tub.
I sort of hibernate in the winter.

+1 on the woodstove.  Lots of great exercise, house as warm as you want it, no fossil fuel, backup heat and cooking when the power goes out.  Get one with a nice glass front.  The flames sure are cheery on a cold winter night.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 10:08:32 AM »
I do okay with warm weather gear for everything but my hands.....anyone have good suggestions for both gloves and mitts?   

TrMama

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »
As mentioned, take up a fun winter activity. A ski pass really makes me look forward to cold, snowy weather.

Failing that, or in addition, a gym membership. Staying active keeps me happy, especially if I can be active with other people. Pick a gym that has big windows so even is the weather sucks, you can at least enjoy some daylight. Bonus points if the windows have some kind of nice view.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2021, 11:01:27 AM »
I do okay with warm weather gear for everything but my hands.....anyone have good suggestions for both gloves and mitts?

I had a variety of them, depending on the temp and what I was doing.  I always kept plenty of the cheap brown cloth work gloves handy in the shop, the car, truck, & van and in coat pockets.  Of course I had a few pairs of other heavy gloves & mitts for really cold & long term outdoor activities. 

Btw, I really like glove and boot liners.  Cycle Gear's (motorcycle gear store) store brand ones are inexpensive and extremely effective.  They're a great way to convert regular (or cheap) boots & gloves into super-insulated ones.  I'm not sure what type of fabric they're made of but it really works.  They also carry a variety of other liners, like baklavas, and long-johns.  I often wore the boot liners around the cabin as slippers after stepping out of my boots. 

cannotWAIT

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2021, 11:05:00 AM »
- Heated mattress pad. I turn it on before bed then turn it off when I get in. Not only is it luxuriously cozy but the falling temperature after you turn it off is a natural trigger for sleepiness.
- A warm water bidet (bonus points for heated seat). My starting point is everyone should have a bidet, period, regardless of heated features. But if you have ever used a cold water bidet in winter, then you will deeply appreciate a warm water one! Heated seats are nice too, especially if you keep your house pretty cool.
- A dog who loves hiking in the snow and afterward sleeping all snuggled up next to you by the fire.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2021, 11:11:32 AM »
A lot of the obvious choices have already been mentioned, so I'll mention a good wetsuit if you're near water based activities. Around Chicago, you can continue to play in the big lake until it freezes so long as you have the right equipment.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2021, 12:19:42 PM »
We moved to Nova Scotia from Tampa last year.  I loved our first winter, and some of the purchases that helped were:

1) a pellet stove - fire is great for warmth and light.  We didn't buy it (it came with the house) but I love it.  Personally, I'd probably prefer a wood stove, but DW is fire adverse and values the convenience, so this is a nice compromise.
2) a spin bike - we get out a LOT in the winter, but this was great on days we didn't.  I have it in front of a smart TV in the basement and do rhythm spin videos on youtube.  I love having the music set the pace.  I don't listen to this type of music, but I really like the EDM and reggaeton ones.  Gabriella Guevara is my favorite, but there are a bunch.
3) TRX - same as above, plus I use it year round for the weight training (which I never did before).  Similarly, I use Youtube videos for pace and exercise ideas (TRX Blast)
4) ice skates - I'm no good, but there's a Lion's Club with a free outdoor rink and skating under a clear blue sky is awesome.
5) yak trax - great for hiking
6) south facing windows - I work from home and my desk is in front of two south facing windows overlooking a wooded ravine -- I LOVE it.
7) house plants - having green around is good
8) sprouts - easy to grow fresh veggies year round

We've thought about cross country skis but haven't yet.  This year, I want to check out some frozen waterfalls.  I'm also sort of interested in a sauna, but the cold doesn't really bother me so I don't know that I'll bother.  We have a friend with one on a trailer, though, so we might give it a try.  Along the same lines, I thought about an infrared sauna for the basement, but it doesn't seem necessary.

Asalted_Nut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2021, 12:23:53 PM »
Our family are big fans of microwaved corn bags, stick it in the microwave for a minute or two and then have nice toasty feet in bed or lounging on the couch! Can also be put in the freezer as an ice pack alternative, so good both ways for injuries as well.
I think we've ordered from here, or I have had colleagues find DIY instructions online - https://www.amazon.com/Microwavable-Filled-Heating-Washable-Bandana/dp/B07SH2NZJW

And not necessarily cold-weather related- but I know someone who knits yarn collars for use around ice cream pints to block the cold/condensation, similar to using a coffee sleeve for hot cups.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2021, 12:39:53 PM »
Not yet mentioned: a hot water bottle.  Warms up your bed before you get in, under a blanket with you keeps you warm if sitting and reading, quick way to warm up if you are cold when coming indoors, a big comfort if you are ill.  Pennies to boil a kettle to fill one up and your sitting room and bedroom can be a few degrees cooler while you still stay comfortable.

+1

A hot water bottle makes an incredible difference and is very cheap.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2021, 12:44:51 PM »
This is a bit of a stretch, because it is attached to a larger purchase...

But the car I currently own is the first one I've had with heated seats, and I wouldn't go back.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2021, 01:14:30 PM »

But the car I currently own is the first one I've had with heated seats, and I wouldn't go back.

Funny, I rarely even remember to use my heated seats, and it's bloody cold where I live. Because of the heated garage though, the car is just never cold.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2021, 01:19:15 PM »

I’m curious to know what purchases folks have made for the cold winter months that have had the greatest impact on their quality of life and well being.

An unhealthy level of alcohol consumption?  That's a popular option here. :D   

But I would definitely second a good and hot, absolutely melt your face off outdoor sauna.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
I’ll preface this by saying that I hate being cold.  So my strategy is to deliberately increase my cold tolerance as fall comes on by wearing only enough, indoors and outdoors, to feel cool.  In about 2 weeks, my body has adapted and I’m far more comfortable than when I used to resist feeling any degree of discomfort.  (Winter temperatures here are anywhere between -20C and -40C.). With consistent exposure to cooler temperatures, the body develops brown fat, which keeps you warmer than white fat.  I’m now comfortable at a steady 18C in the house.

Replace your lightbulbs with full spectrum ones - that helps with mood/energy issues.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2021, 02:43:40 PM »

Funny, I rarely even remember to use my heated seats, and it's bloody cold where I live. Because of the heated garage though, the car is just never cold.

That’s the difference, I’m sure. We don’t have heated garages. My car is cold when I get in it, but the seats heat up fast, meaning I am warm while I wait for the heater to come up to temperature.

AccidentialMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2021, 09:57:47 PM »
I look forward to the heated seats in my new, far too fancy car this winter. I look forward to the heated steering wheel more. Also, remote start and preconditioning the cabin.

If you have to shovel snow, especially if it is wet and heavy, https://www.amazon.com/Snow-SW0310-Wheeled-Shovel-Strip/dp/B001I7JWTO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 is legit. We got ours at a welcome-back-students community garage sale/fund raiser in August for $20 a couple years ago. I'd pay the $200 msrp to replace it with a new one if it broke. Seriously. Assuming I could find one that is. I'm not sure they make them anymore.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2021, 02:07:53 AM »
An electric throw blanket for the couch.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2021, 06:05:31 AM »
I think little things do more than the big ones. Good warm winter clothes so you can be outside, cosy lighting whether it is candles or nice little lights of other kinds, nice blankets and warm things whether it be a hot tub, a bathtub indoors or some heating thing. Having an activity in winter, indoors or outdoors also makes it less dreary to get through those long cold months. I don't think you need a lot of warm weather holidays but if you can get one each year that might help.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2021, 06:57:28 AM »
Number one is the right clothing.
Get outdoors and enjoy the winter weather daily, it's unhealthy to stay indoors all the time, and refreshing to get outside.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2021, 08:36:05 AM »
Carhartt insulated overalls and coat.   I can go work outside when it's frigid and the wind is blowing and be totally comfortable.  For inside, I have a super thick and fluffy bathrobe.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »
I hate winter. That said, a lot of things make it better.

A SAD lamp. Vitamin D, which probably doesn’t accomplish anything except make me feel like I’m doing something, but still.

A well lighted basement with a treadmill and an exercise bike and a lot of houseplants.

A snowblower.

Good winter outerwear that isn’t too bulky.

Yak trax because I try to at least walk around the block every day.

Heated throws and a fireplace.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2021, 11:37:49 AM »

A SAD lamp. Vitamin D, which probably doesn’t accomplish anything except make me feel like I’m doing something, but still.

For me personally, I get deficient on vitamin D without supplementation in winter, as verified by a blood test.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2021, 11:38:17 AM »
My electric blanket is my top cold weather must have.  I can't live without it.  I also highly recommend getting a light therapy lamp to help with SAD.

Even better than an electric blanket- an electric mattress pad. Highly recommend. We have one that has two zones so we can each set it to whatever we like.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2021, 11:43:21 AM »
All mine have been named.

Good slippers
Yak Trax
Heated mattress pad
Exercise in some way shape or form (I used to go to a gym with a steam room..... Covid ruins everything)
SAD light

TrMama

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
I look forward to the heated seats in my new, far too fancy car this winter. I look forward to the heated steering wheel more. Also, remote start and preconditioning the cabin.

If you have to shovel snow, especially if it is wet and heavy, https://www.amazon.com/Snow-SW0310-Wheeled-Shovel-Strip/dp/B001I7JWTO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 is legit. We got ours at a welcome-back-students community garage sale/fund raiser in August for $20 a couple years ago. I'd pay the $200 msrp to replace it with a new one if it broke. Seriously. Assuming I could find one that is. I'm not sure they make them anymore.

That snow shovel is genius. It doesn't snow here often, but when it does there's lots of of it and it's wet and heavy. If your shovel breaks, a good bike mechanic may be able to fix it. It looks like a bike wheel attached to a shovel. I wonder if DH and Spawn1 would build me one . . .

Thought of one more. Years ago I repainted the inside of our house a nice light cream color and put up bright artwork. It makes it so much more cheery in here in the winter. Did the same thing when we renovated the basement last winter. It's probably no coincidence white paint and light wood and bright lighting are popular in Scandinavia.

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2021, 04:19:40 PM »
Seconding the suggestions of a hot tub with the added requirements of "outdoors" and "under cover."  You get the fresh air and feeling of being outside while staying toasty and can use it even if it's raining or snowing.  We have a small hot tub under a portable gazebo in the backyard and it's so soothing to be out there on a quiet winter night. Plus it helps with the aches that come with daytime cold-weather activities.  If a full gazebo isn't an option a large patio umbrella will do the trick.

To keep it as mustachian as possible look for used ones (used hot tubs are notoriously difficult to get rid of and around here they're sometimes available for free if you can pick up) and get the smallest size possible to reduce heating costs. 

ETA: Also make sure it's well insulated and beef up the insulation if it's not.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 04:22:43 PM by parkerk »

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2021, 06:39:04 PM »
At the low end, two things I really like are (a) a heated mattress pad (I prefer to an electric blanket, though basically the same idea), and (b) mulling cider on really cold/grey days so the house smells, well, yummy.

I'm also a fan of a reasonable quality down comforter. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2021, 08:26:35 PM »
We do not have an outdoor hot tub, but what we do instead is rent an Airbnb for an overnight in the winter, and buy a bottle of champagne to drink as we sit in hot bubbly water, looking up at the stars.

A short vacation somewhere else can do wonders, and you don’t have to own.