Author Topic: The Daily Shave: A Paradigm for Modernity?  (Read 12588 times)

Bolshevik Artizan

• Stubble
The Daily Shave: A Paradigm for Modernity?
« on: January 25, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »
A lot of we guys shave every morning, and the cost of the Gilette four, five, nay six-blade rotating razor that also speaks ten languages and undertakes differential calculus has been well documented both here and elsewhere. My wonderful wife bought me three very simple objects for my last birthday a few weeks ago:

1. A wooden bowl and some soap
2. A shaving brush
3. A 1930s style straight razor with a platinum finish on the blade.

So I've switched. And it takes me longer, but somehow I ENJOY shaving now - working the lather, lathering the beard, taking the necessary time and care to get it right...

The other morning, while trying to get a few tricky hairs under my nose, it struck me that what's happened to shaving is what's happened to society: we've forgone a lot of slower pleasures in the interests of efficiency and immediate facility. What's more, costs have gone to hell in a handbasket as a result of our rush to make everything more efficient and easier: if someone tells you they can get a daily task done ten minutes quicker, most folks will pay five times more than that particular thing is worth, purely because we perceive of ourselves as being time-poor, pressurized individuals...

thoughts, anyone?

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The Daily Shave: A Paradigm for Modernity?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 04:19:17 PM »
Yeah, just use dollar shave club/Dorco razors instead. The convenience and ease of use of Gilette Mach X, but at a fraction of the cost.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »
Props to your wife for taking the chance! And kudos to you for trying it before deciding!  So glad to hear your experience.

We've also switched to shaving brushes, pucks and DE razors.  Better shaves, much cheaper...and enjoying the ritual 10X more than before.  The time difference is insignificant.    My epiphany came about two weeks in, when I realized the rash and the ingrown hairs that had plagued me for years were totally gone, and my shaves were never smoother.

Not going back to disposable.   Also not going to SE because we are now happy where we are.

I've come to the conclusion that not all progress is forward. YMMV.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
Or just shun the modern baby-faced man look trend and instead allow your facial wool to prosper - saves time AND money!

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »
I recently got a Merkur double bladed safety razor.  I also got the brush and soap.

The shaves are so close, and the blades can be bought 100 for $10. 

This weekend I was out of town and it is somewhat difficult to take that whole kit.  So I took my old gillette fusion(4 blades) with me, and shaved with it this morning.  I never knew how horrible that was until I had something to compare it too.  My face like I ran sandpaper across it.  :( 

Tomorrow morning I get to use my Merkur again.  My stubble can't wait!

EDIT:  typo fix
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:20:36 PM by Indexer »

cacaoheart

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »
I tend to only stay clean shaven for a few hours at best and my skin is sensitive, so now I enjoy simply keeping my beard well trimmed, which takes maybe 20 seconds a couple times per week.

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:18:34 PM »
I have not gotten around to trying a DE razor yet. I would love to never shave again, but I work in a job where I have to be well-groomed most days. A long time ago I bought a boatload of Bic Metal disposable razors and I have yet to get through them. A single razor lasts me a while and gives me a closer shave than any of the Mach 3, Super Ultra Close Shave with Cleaning Gel junk. All that mess is overpriced.

jtriplett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 08:48:16 PM »
I hadn't ever heard of the Merkul before now.  But the price of $12 for 100 blades sounds much more reasonable than $1+ each or something.

How often do you change the blade?  Does it feel good?

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 09:15:21 PM »
A beard is probably the best financial decision you could ever make in your life. Saves time and money,

act0fgod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 05:28:36 AM »
I hadn't ever heard of the Merkul before now.  But the price of $12 for 100 blades sounds much more reasonable than $1+ each or something.

I'm interested in this too.  I usually buy my razors in bulk off e-bay but was told/realized I'm probably buying stolen goods and want to stop.  $12 for 100 blades sounds great if I can get a similar amount of uses as the mach 3's.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 06:12:32 AM »
A beard is probably the best financial decision you could ever make in your life. Saves time and money,

I disagree. If you can't grow a full beard and instead look like a patchy hobo, nice things like a good wife are harder to come by ;)

I've been using a straight razor for 3 years now, and absolutely love it. I will give that either a short beard (and clippers) or a safety razor with cheap blades will be cheaper in the long run. However, I love my Dovo straight razor and will never go to something else.

To the OP, did she also happen to get you a strop? If you want to do the maintenance on it yourself, you will need one of those and a very fine grain honing stone (can't remember what mine is, something something 'surgical black', but it was about $20 at a knife shop). Otherwise, you'll have to get it professional sharpened every 6-12 months, which could cost $10/time anyway.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
I also have some bald patches, or else I would grow a beard. One thing I've noted on these shaving topics is that very few people chime in about electric razors, and I'm curious why. Maybe I'm an oddity, but that is all I have every used. Literally, I have never shaved my face with a safety razor or straight blade or anything else, only pure 100% electric razors. I really like the convenience (except when they unexpectedly need a charge), no pain or cuts, useful for haircuts too, I may spend $50-70 once every few years, and maybe buy new blades once per life of each razor. Also I really dislike a hairy neck, and these work great. I've heard people claim that electrics don't work for them, and maybe that's true, I only need to shave every other day, and while I wouldn't say that it gets me smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom, it's pretty close. Also, I can choose to throw away the hair in the garbage rather than down the drain.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »
To the OPs point. I would agree that a lot of people miss out on some of life's simple pleasures because they're rushing off to work or trying to cram in more time for, facebook or television. It's tragic really. 

In some forms of Buddhism there is a concentrated focus on living in the present moment and enjoying life. Even while washing the dishes, shaving or sweeping the floor if you relax and try to enjoy it rather than rushing through it just to have it over with, it can be an enjoyable activity. I'm not there yet, I still hate housework from time to time. However, when I remember that I don't have to hurry and it's a choice, I feel better about the little day to day things.

I too use a Merkur and really enjoy the better shave and the savings. I get pissed if I have to use anything else, like when I fly and the TSA takes away the blade. The used to let me pass with it.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »

I agree, if you can make it work with a beard then it's a great idea. Don't think you need a big bushy beard to have savings. With a cheap clippers you can leave your beard just 1/4 of an inch long, and just trim it every week or so. I still shave my neck and upper cheeks in the shower, but a razor lasts about a year so that cost is very small.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »
I also have some bald patches, or else I would grow a beard. One thing I've noted on these shaving topics is that very few people chime in about electric razors, and I'm curious why. Maybe I'm an oddity, but that is all I have every used. Literally, I have never shaved my face with a safety razor or straight blade or anything else, only pure 100% electric razors. I really like the convenience (except when they unexpectedly need a charge), no pain or cuts, useful for haircuts too, I may spend $50-70 once every few years, and maybe buy new blades once per life of each razor. Also I really dislike a hairy neck, and these work great. I've heard people claim that electrics don't work for them, and maybe that's true, I only need to shave every other day, and while I wouldn't say that it gets me smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom, it's pretty close. Also, I can choose to throw away the hair in the garbage rather than down the drain.

I'm with you.  I had used a Mach 3 for close to a decade, but switched to electric about 18 months ago and I'm very happy with the switch.  I spent ~$45 for a razor and expect several years use.  I have no issues with the quality of the shave and it's definitely an easier process for me now.  I can't see going back to a wet shave.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »
To me shaving is about the low point of the day, so I'm not feeling the motivation to slow down and enjoy it.

Another tip is to "strop" razors weekly against an old piece of denim to keep them sharp.  Doing this I generally get about a month's use out of each razor.  Twelve blades a year is a bargain!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
I have returned to the DE razor after almost 20 years of moving up the Gillette  line.

I cannot believe how close a DE razor shaves. Love this.

Any reccomendations for Blades. I saw a vote for Merkur. Any thoughts on Feather? It has great reviews on Amazon.

NeuroPlastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 10:15:36 AM »
To the OPs point. I would agree that a lot of people miss out on some of life's simple pleasures because they're rushing off to work or trying to cram in more time for, facebook or television. It's tragic really. 

In some forms of Buddhism there is a concentrated focus on living in the present moment and enjoying life. Even while washing the dishes, shaving or sweeping the floor if you relax and try to enjoy it rather than rushing through it just to have it over with, it can be an enjoyable activity. I'm not there yet, I still hate housework from time to time. However, when I remember that I don't have to hurry and it's a choice, I feel better about the little day to day things.

I too use a Merkur and really enjoy the better shave and the savings. I get pissed if I have to use anything else, like when I fly and the TSA takes away the blade. The used to let me pass with it.

My wife and I have a ritual of making the morning coffee.  We do a hand-ground pour-over.  Each step of the process takes careful attention to get consistent results.  It is slower, but since it really acts as a meditation, the time is well spent, and it is spent together.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 10:18:13 AM »
...what's happened to shaving is what's happened to society: we've forgone a lot of slower pleasures in the interests of efficiency and immediate facility...

^^ This!!  Hence the rise in Tassimo/K-cups or whatever the hell they're called.  (Most) people now end up spending twice as much for their coffee in the interest of time and convenience. 

I now use the Dollar Shave Club, just because it's convenient and relatively inexpensive.  The shave takes longer isn't as good as good as Gillette, I don't care what they say.  But it'll do for the workday.  I now save my "good" Sensor Excel blades for special occasions and travel.  Can't believe I used to pay $20 for 5 or 6 blades.  That's just robbery!

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 10:26:16 AM »
A beard is probably the best financial decision you could ever make in your life.

I've been bearded over 90% of my adult life.  I used to just trim occasionally using my nail scissors.  Modern aesthetics and daily ease, along with the close-cropped hair look, made me switch to just using my electric hair clippers (purchased about 25 years ago on sale).  Every two weeks I go over my head with the #2 attachment, then do the beard and mustache with the #1 attachment.  Then I trim around the ears and edges with no attachment and touch up with the scissors that came with the clippers.  This takes maybe ten minutes and I've amortized the cost of those clippers down to about $2 a year.  Divide that by 26 trimmings a year, hair and beard are costing me 7¢ per trim.   

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:55 AM »
Any reccomendations for Blades. I saw a vote for Merkur. Any thoughts on Feather? It has great reviews on Amazon.

Feathers are very sharp but also harsh and hella expensive
I like Dorco blue's. Very smooth and cheap to boot

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »
I use Rapira blades. They are Russian and I buy them off eBay from some guy in Turkey. They have a reasonable reputation on the shaving forums and I really rate them. I use one blade per week. I bought my last lot in September last year, US$11.99 for 100 blades, delivered. That's almost two years worth :)

I actually use a very cheap DE razor: http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Double-Shaver-Nonslip-Handle/dp/B0050HO9MI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?tag=viglink20401-20

I've used it for 18 months. It was a "let's see if I like it" purchase and I'm still using it! I'll probably buy a 2nd hand adjustable Merkur or something at one point - I look at flea markets sometimes - but in reality this cheap one is doing the job OK for the moment.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »
I like Personna Blue blades with my Merkur razor. Cheap on Amazon.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 01:58:46 PM »
One thing I've noted on these shaving topics is that very few people chime in about electric razors, and I'm curious why. Maybe I'm an oddity, but that is all I have every used. Literally, I have never shaved my face with a safety razor or straight blade or anything else, only pure 100% electric razors. I really like the convenience (except when they unexpectedly need a charge), no pain or cuts, useful for haircuts too, I may spend $50-70 once every few years, and maybe buy new blades once per life of each razor. Also I really dislike a hairy neck, and these work great. I've heard people claim that electrics don't work for them, and maybe that's true

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't use electric razors on my face because every one that I have every used has literally hurt.  I think this may be because even though my hair grows in patchy, it's very coarse, and I have never tried an electric razor, even new, that did not feel like it was simply pulling the hairs out rather than neatly cutting them.  Whereas my straight razor glides through whatever happens to be on my face (even 1 months patchy growth) in one clean swipe.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »
They have a reasonable reputation on the shaving forums

There is such a thing as "shaving forums"?

I go for the stubble look all the time.  My MIL bought me a new electric razor as a gift two years ago for christmas and I use that everyday with the trimmer attachment.  Takes 3 minutes or less.  My skin doesn't do well with a close shave of any kind. 

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »
One thing I've noted on these shaving topics is that very few people chime in about electric razors, and I'm curious why. Maybe I'm an oddity, but that is all I have every used. Literally, I have never shaved my face with a safety razor or straight blade or anything else, only pure 100% electric razors. I really like the convenience (except when they unexpectedly need a charge), no pain or cuts, useful for haircuts too, I may spend $50-70 once every few years, and maybe buy new blades once per life of each razor. Also I really dislike a hairy neck, and these work great. I've heard people claim that electrics don't work for them, and maybe that's true

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't use electric razors on my face because every one that I have every used has literally hurt.  I think this may be because even though my hair grows in patchy, it's very coarse, and I have never tried an electric razor, even new, that did not feel like it was simply pulling the hairs out rather than neatly cutting them.  Whereas my straight razor glides through whatever happens to be on my face (even 1 months patchy growth) in one clean swipe.

I understand, I've had some electrics that do that, in fact about 6 months ago I needed to buy a new one because mine was dropped and I wasn't able to repair. I opted for the cheapest at Target, and that thing pulled enough that I started to fear it. I got a mid-priced one, and not a single problem. There are also different styles of electrics, and while I haven't researched it, it's possible that different people will find different ones preferable based on hair type and growth.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Thanks for this thread! Just ordered my hubs the "Frugal Dude" pack that is on sale this month at Dorco. He will give it a try and I will report back :-)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »
There is such a thing as "saving forums"?

FTFY
your interests are just as obscure

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »
They have a reasonable reputation on the shaving forums

There is such a thing as "shaving forums"?

Oh you have no idea. Here's a starting point: http://www.badgerandblade.com/

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 03:11:48 PM »

FTFY

I just don't even understand what they talk about on a shaving forum.  How many ways are there to shave your face?  How many different brands of razors are there?  I'm going to have to go check them out. 

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 09:41:27 PM »
I have returned to the DE razor after almost 20 years of moving up the Gillette  line.

I cannot believe how close a DE razor shaves. Love this.

We bought ourselves a sampler blade pack from Amazon.   I really recommend doing that the first time around because blades are really personal.

Each blade lasts DH a week or more.  Mine have been good for three weeks but I don't shave daily.  It might take us a year to get through the sample pack at this rate. ..Once were done with the sample pack we'll make a decision and a bulk buy.

Even if we hadn't gone to DE razors I would still enjoy the brush and shaving puck.  I can't believe how cheap, easy and effective it is.  I've used canned creams, which were not great (expensive and the cans left rust marks in the bathroom).  I've used plain soap, and I've used cheap hair conditioner...I can't rave enough about the shaving brush and pucks.  It looks like the puck will last > 6 months and damn, it is nice.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 10:03:25 PM »
I had an electric razor given to me growing up--it was pretty terrible.

After it died, I switch to mostly name-brand razors and shaving cream. This wasn't so bad, because I only shaved once per week. My wife has also gotten me the bowl, brush, and soap combo, but it'll be a couple years until I run out of my cream and razors with how little they are used.

Plus, I generally grow a beard for about three months a year and the clippers do well to keep it trimmed (as mentioned above). I am glad the OP can enjoy his time shaving, but I, for one, detest the practice as a whole.

josstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 02:10:46 AM »
I have a $75 electric razor I've been using for 5 years and counting.  Even shaving everyday it costs practically nothing and doesn't cut or irritate my skin or lead to ingrown hairs.  The shave isn't super close I suppose, but nothing is perfect.

Gilead1986

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 06:23:11 AM »
I've had a pair of electric clippers I bought from Wal Mart for $12.00, about 5 years ago.  They work fairly well for what I do with them; hair, beard, neck.  I also use a double edge razor my neighbor gave to me, I buy blades for it from the Dollar Store for 10/$1, one blade tends to last me about 2-3 weeks probably more if I strop it on my arm.  I usually just shave in the shower and use regular bar soap worked to a lather.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 08:31:05 AM »
Did the math while shaving this a.m..   I paid $1.80 for a 12 pack of Bic single edge disposable razors.  They last about 2 weeks per razor.   So for 1.8 I get about 24 weeks of shaves.   So I'm at around a penny per shave.   

I don't really get into the whole zen art thingy.  Sometimes I dry shave, sometimes a little Ivory soap and water.   

So the paradigm for me would be to do the minimum required for the maximum results.   Eventually,  According to Depak Chopra I'll be doing nothing and receiving everything. 

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 09:00:31 AM »

Same here. Most men that say electric razors don't work well for them probably never gave them a real chance. It takes some time for your skin to adjust to them but when it does they work GREAT!!! I find that the key is to never use any pre-shave lotion ever, just make sure you DO NOT wash your face before you shave. The natural oils in your skin are all that you will need. After you shave then just wash your face with a mild soap like Ivory or Lever 2000 and you will see great results every time!!!

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 09:10:52 AM »
......also it's important to make sure that you buy an electric razor that has the trimmer option on the back, not all have them.  If you have not shaved in a few days you can't just put an electric razor on your beard with out it ripping out the hairs off your face. You need to use the trimmer first to get them down as much as possible then use the razor as intended.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
I used to shave with a straight razor.  It took me an extra few minutes which is why I ended up stopping.  I shower in the morning and want to shave right after that, but I am not a morning person and frequently run out of time.  I found that I used it about 1/3 of the time.. and the upkeep started to be too much work for only occasional use.

I do agree though with the point you make.  In my example I am definitely forgoing something I enjoy in order to get instant satisfaction!

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »

Merkur double bladed safety razor.

I got it for christmas.  I haven't changed the blade yet, but I have noticed one side(its double sided) is getting dull so I'm only using the other side now.  I'll probably give it another week. 

Once you get used to it the feeling is great.  It is more forgiving than a straight razor, but a lot less forgiving than the razors you are probably use to.  Your movements need to be more deliberate.  It will probably take you 2-3 times as long to shave, at least at first.  I actually really like the experience now.  It forces you to just slow down and take your time, and hopefully 'enjoy' shaving.  You can't rush, and in the morning that is actually very refreshing!

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 08:35:08 PM »
I shave 3 days a week, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. I shave while in the shower, I feel I shave better when I am in the shower. I use a Schick Hydro. I am not going to go el cheapo with a plain Bic. 

Doubleh

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 03:14:06 AM »
Having started using a merkur de about three years ago, and a straight a year ago, I would never go back to overpriced multi blade razors.

The de takes a couple of months to get the hang of, during which time you need to pay far more attention that with a Gillette. Once you've got the muscle memory it takes hardly any longer and doesn't really take any more effort. It does stay a more satisfying experience and leaves a closer shave with less burn and no ingrowns, all of which were problems for me before. If you want to learn how to use a de best place to start is look at the videos by mantic59 on YouTube.

I'd definitely recommend a blade sampler pack as everyone's faces react differently to different blades. I use feathers exclusively now with my de as I have stubble like high tensile steel and anything else tends to drag. Sure they cost twice as much as some other de blades, but they're still one eighth the cost of a Mach 3. If your existing blade already feels like you're wiping the soap off your face with a butter knife you probably won't benefit from a feather. If you have to pull on the razor give them a try.

Lastly I have to give a thumbs up for the cheap single blade bic yellow disposables. These get a lot of love on the shaving forums and I thought people were joking. If you try and shave with one like its a sensor you'll shred your face and think it's because the blade sucks. But trying one after learning to use a de was a revelation, they're actually great and I use them regularly for travelling.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 05:06:53 AM »
I use a 1950's era Gillette razor with Feather blades.  Works great and I enjoy shaving again.  Blades are pennies to buy and last me about a week (I have to shave 6 days a week).

ChrisLansing

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 07:55:19 AM »
Well, you asked for thoughts, so here goes -

I find younger men (I assume everyone here is younger than I am, and at 58 it's probably true in most cases)
get enamoured of doing things "Old School".   I suppose there is a certain pleasure in reviving lost arts.    I know some younger men who are very charged up about their old timey shaving paraphernalia.   If it brings you pleasure, then great.   

Neither my father or grandfather ever used s straight razor to shave (except the occasional barbershop shave)  Even in the 1930s the straight razor was technologically obsolete and the safety razor was king (Literally, King Gillette).    I started shaving in the 1970s, using a safety razor.    I quickly changed to the "newer" cartridge razors when they came out.   As far as close/smooth shaving goes, I'll take a multi-blade cartridge over a safety razor any day.   I have never tried a straight razor, but I see little reason to do so.   

If you enjoy the process, that's fine.     I don't.    Shaving for me is a daily chore and it's best to deal with it as efficiently as possible.     I'm not overly concerned about how much time it takes, though again I get no special charge out of lathering etc. etc.      My main efficiency concern is the cost of blades.   

So, a moth ago I bought an electric razor (Wahl)  I put it on the charger overnight as recommended and have not had it on the charger since.   The shave is not quite razor blade close, but it's close enough.    No shaving foam/creme/gel/soap.    No replacement blades (though the head will have to be replaced in time at a cost of about half the price of the shaver itself).   Takes about 2.5 minutes to shave and I don't have to wet my face.   

I assume the shaver will last several years, so the cost will just keep amortizing.   The head will last, I'm estimating, 2.5 years and then will require replacement at about $25.   Shaving daily my cost per shave (not including the shaver itself) is less than 3 cents per shave.   

Another thing I like about the electric is that I only need a miror (and then only near the sideburns).   So, if my wife is hogging the bathroom I can still shave in the living room, or wherever there is a mirror.   

So, for me, please, no shaving mug, no strop, no shaving soap, no badger hair brush, let me shave in the moment, and let the moment not last beyond 3 minutes and then no clean up.     

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »
Well, you asked for thoughts, so here goes -

I find younger men (I assume everyone here is younger than I am, and at 58 it's probably true in most cases)
get enamoured of doing things "Old School".   I suppose there is a certain pleasure in reviving lost arts.    I know some younger men who are very charged up about their old timey shaving paraphernalia.   If it brings you pleasure, then great.   

Neither my father or grandfather ever used s straight razor to shave (except the occasional barbershop shave)  Even in the 1930s the straight razor was technologically obsolete and the safety razor was king (Literally, King Gillette).    I started shaving in the 1970s, using a safety razor.    I quickly changed to the "newer" cartridge razors when they came out.   As far as close/smooth shaving goes, I'll take a multi-blade cartridge over a safety razor any day.   I have never tried a straight razor, but I see little reason to do so.   

If you enjoy the process, that's fine.     I don't.    Shaving for me is a daily chore and it's best to deal with it as efficiently as possible.     I'm not overly concerned about how much time it takes, though again I get no special charge out of lathering etc. etc.      My main efficiency concern is the cost of blades.   

So, a moth ago I bought an electric razor (Wahl)  I put it on the charger overnight as recommended and have not had it on the charger since.   The shave is not quite razor blade close, but it's close enough.    No shaving foam/creme/gel/soap.    No replacement blades (though the head will have to be replaced in time at a cost of about half the price of the shaver itself).   Takes about 2.5 minutes to shave and I don't have to wet my face.   

I assume the shaver will last several years, so the cost will just keep amortizing.   The head will last, I'm estimating, 2.5 years and then will require replacement at about $25.   Shaving daily my cost per shave (not including the shaver itself) is less than 3 cents per shave.   

Another thing I like about the electric is that I only need a miror (and then only near the sideburns).   So, if my wife is hogging the bathroom I can still shave in the living room, or wherever there is a mirror.   

So, for me, please, no shaving mug, no strop, no shaving soap, no badger hair brush, let me shave in the moment, and let the moment not last beyond 3 minutes and then no clean up.   

Yeah, this is a really great summation of how I feel also.

My analogy (imperfect though it may be) is to a dishwasher.  Yes, washing dishes by hand is "old school"...and you can pay more attention to detail and get it juuuust right....but there's no way in hell I'm giving up my dishwasher.  Shaving (like dishes) is a chore to be done for me, nothing more.  It's certainly not a romantic few minutes...and if I want to slow down and reflect, I'll just do it.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »

FTFY

I just don't even understand what they talk about on a shaving forum.  How many ways are there to shave your face?  How many different brands of razors are there?  I'm going to have to go check them out.

Some people go deep into the rabbit hole when it comes to shaving. There are different blades, oils, soaps, brushes, mugs, etc. People switch to a safety razor to save money and end up spending hundreds on soaps and different razors. I made the switch over the Summer and luckily have avoided that. I have an Edwin Jagger D89bl razor. I bought a case of Arko shaving soap and a pack of Astra blades off Amazon that should last a while. The process does take a little longer overall but the shaves are a lot closer and I get less irritation.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »
A beard is probably the best financial decision you could ever make in your life. Saves time and money
fixed

D Bopp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 03:39:25 PM »
I have a beard, but shave my head daily every morning. I use a Schick Mach 3 I think. I dry the blade off with a towel after every use, and I'm able to use each cartridge for about 4 months. One pack of 4 or 5 blades will last me a year.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2015, 03:54:13 PM »
I've been using the same package of 100 DE safety razor blades that I bought for $9 on September 3, 2013.  There's probably 70+ remaining in the package- I am on track for 10 cents a month in blade expenses. :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2015, 12:22:21 AM »
Husband was pretty happy with his first shave with a Dorco razor. He tried the 3 blade first and said it seemed the same as his Mach 3. So far, so good. Now we can experiment with how long it lasts. The "Frugal Dude" pack that we bought says that it will last about a year! If this works, we will be saving tons of $$$ each year on shaving! Its amazing how you think you've plugged all the holes in your leaky boat; all the while, there's still so many more that you have yet to discover!