Author Topic: Do you regret paying off your mortgage early?  (Read 252355 times)

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
Re: Do you regret paying off your mortgage early?
« Reply #850 on: January 10, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
vs a upfront(trad ira/401k) 15~% + index fund growth

I don't think you'll find such a fund, unless you're counting an employer match.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #851 on: January 10, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
I hadn't thought about the opportunity cost on not maxing out retirement accounts and still paying down the house.

My brother's in this situation, he emotionally wants to pay off his house quickly and probably will <_<. 

Im to lazy to do the math but im sure 4% return vs a upfront(trad ira/401k) 15~% + index fund growth would absolutely crush the 4% over almost any time scale.

yes the tax savings are emense. and really this should only be discussed as a "debate" in what to do with after tax dollars.  if you have tax advantaged space and are prepaying a 4% mortgage you're making an extremely poor math decision that could add 3-4 years to your FIRE timeline.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #852 on: January 10, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
vs a upfront(trad ira/401k) 15~% + index fund growth

I don't think you'll find such a fund, unless you're counting an employer match.

pretty sure the poster is referring to tax savings

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #853 on: January 10, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »
I hadn't thought about the opportunity cost on not maxing out retirement accounts and still paying down the house.

My brother's in this situation, he emotionally wants to pay off his house quickly and probably will <_<. 

Im to lazy to do the math but im sure 4% return vs a upfront(trad ira/401k) 15~% + index fund growth would absolutely crush the 4% over almost any time scale.

yes the tax savings are emense. and really this should only be discussed as a "debate" in what to do with after tax dollars.  if you have tax advantaged space and are prepaying a 4% mortgage you're making an extremely poor math decision that could add 3-4 years to your FIRE timeline.

You really are a fan of the sweeping statement.

The correct answer may be a little more nuanced, although we agree on the general point that 401(k) money is even more mathematically favorable compared to pre-paying the mortgage.

First, if the 15% tax rate is the marginal tax rate of the person, it's questionable whether that person should be putting money in pre-tax at all.  That person is a good candidate for a Roth, so the tax savings (at least up front) aren't there.

Second, the 401(k) is not tax-free forever.  Indeed, when it comes out, it will come out as ordinary income, which if markets go the way you generally expect, could end up being a relatively high tax bracket, even for retirees, once distributions are required.

The real advantage of the 401(k) (pre-tax) is that the portion of the money that you get to invest that would have otherwise been paid in taxes (let's say 25% for a 25% tax bracket) gets to continue to grow and get market returns until you withdraw the money.  That's like having an additional 25% of your money to invest (or 1/3 more, depending on how you want to look at it).

(There is also the classic tax advantage of avoiding the presumably higher marginal tax rate at the time you're working compared to the presumably lower tax bracket in retirement at the time you withdraw the money, but assuming the normal market growth that we're discussing, that's actually not likely to be much of an advantage to us.  There's a very good chance that the portfolios will have grown to multi-million dollars by the time mandatory distributions are required, to be withdrawn at ordinary income tax rates, in addition to whatever income you're generating from other sources--pre-tax accounts, social security, etc.) 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:41:45 PM by Cycling Stache »

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #854 on: January 10, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »
or when they say i was able to increase my investment contribution a lot when i got done with my mortgage - bad

This is a bad argument.

I don't disagree with your main points but whether they pay off their mortgage fast or on time, one will have extra money to invest when you no longer have a mortgage payment.

Unless of course you're in favor of something like a reverse mortgage or something else to pull equity out and then invest on leverage.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #855 on: January 10, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
or when they say i was able to increase my investment contribution a lot when i got done with my mortgage - bad

This is a bad argument.

I don't disagree with your main points but whether they pay off their mortgage fast or on time, one will have extra money to invest when you no longer have a mortgage payment.

Unless of course you're in favor of something like a reverse mortgage or something else to pull equity out and then invest on leverage.

Correct when you don't have a mortgage and have the same cash flow you will have more to invest. But that's not a reason to pay your mortgage off faster as if you invest what you'd be using to pay it off you'd accrue money faster stastically.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #856 on: January 10, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »

You really are a fan of the sweeping statement.

The correct answer may be a little more nuanced, although we agree on the general point that 401(k) money is even more mathematically favorable compared to pre-paying the mortgage.

First, if the 15% tax rate is the marginal tax rate of the person, it's questionable whether that person should be putting money in pre-tax at all.  That person is a good candidate for a Roth, so the tax savings (at least up front) aren't there.

Second, the 401(k) is not tax-free forever.  Indeed, when it comes out, it will come out as ordinary income, which if markets go the way you generally expect, could end up being a relatively high tax bracket, even for retirees, once distributions are required.

The real advantage of the 401(k) (pre-tax) is that the portion of the money that you get to invest that would have otherwise been paid in taxes (let's say 25% for a 25% tax bracket) gets to continue to grow and get market returns until you withdraw the money.  That's like having an additional 25% of your money to invest (or 1/3 more, depending on how you want to look at it).

(There is also the classic tax advantage of avoiding the presumably higher marginal tax rate at the time you're working compared to the presumably lower tax bracket in retirement at the time you withdraw the money, but assuming the normal market growth that we're discussing, that's actually not likely to be much of an advantage to us.  There's a very good chance that the portfolios will have grown to multi-million dollars by the time mandatory distributions are required, to be withdrawn at ordinary income tax rates, in addition to whatever income you're generating from other sources--pre-tax accounts, social security, etc.)

Still even if a Roth is used that's tax advantaged space. I don't say trad or Roth I said tax advantaged.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #857 on: January 17, 2018, 10:58:51 AM »
it is when the information is you save xxxxx in interest look at how awesome that would be - bad

or it is when people are paying down a mortgage pre taxadvantaged maxing - bad

forgot my favorite worst reason - thinking its less risky to pay a mortgage down over time vs invest the money b/c what if i lose my job!!! - this is probably the worst take that shows up here b/c people tend to buy into this and its wrong on so many levels.

and most of the time its people saying do it - it feels so good to not have that debt
[/quote]

Dilly! Dilly!  I am going to sign-up through one of your CC referral links below as a token of my appreciation.  I'm obviously not with the majority here and wake up thanking the financial gods and government to have this great debt that is non-callable, fixed, low rate (2.75%), no prepayment penalty, 30 Years and interest tax-deductible.  If only it were transferable as well, but that would be too greedy.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #858 on: January 17, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »

Dilly! Dilly!  I am going to sign-up through one of your CC referral links below as a token of my appreciation.  I'm obviously not with the majority here and wake up thanking the financial gods and government to have this great debt that is non-callable, fixed, low rate (2.75%), no prepayment penalty, 30 Years and interest tax-deductible.  If only it were transferable as well, but that would be too greedy.

Thanks! - you're not really in the minority some just get really burnt out with the conversation.  and just move on