Author Topic: Do you regret paying off your mortgage early?  (Read 250738 times)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Do you regret paying off your mortgage early?
« Reply #800 on: December 28, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »
Like I said, I actually do not have a mortgage but in hindsight have realized that this "no capital gains" benefit to selling a house is hogwash. I used to believe the fable as well.
Dunno, but I think the $250/$500 Capital Gains exemption is after all costs, so it may not be cost free to acquire or dispose of a house, but the exemption is what it is.

Yes, true, we all need a place to live.

I just wanted to point out that if you are purchasing a house for the "no capital gains tax" benefit solely and that this is a reason why investing in homes is better than investing in stocks, that argument will not hold water.

Housing/mortage decisions should not be made based on the "no capital gains" reason alone.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #801 on: December 28, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »
Like I said, I actually do not have a mortgage but in hindsight have realized that this "no capital gains" benefit to selling a house is hogwash. I used to believe the fable as well.
Dunno, but I think the $250/$500 Capital Gains exemption is after all costs, so it may not be cost free to acquire or dispose of a house, but the exemption is what it is.

Yes, true, we all need a place to live. Hmm, I don't think I said that.

I just wanted to point out that if you are purchasing a house for the "no capital gains tax" benefit solely and that this is a reason why investing in homes is better than investing in stocks, that argument will not hold water. Who actually does that?

Housing/mortage decisions should not be made based on the "no capital gains" reason alone. Again, who actually does that?
The Home Sale exemption is a nice benefit, and some people actually make a tax-free living doing this in my area. However, there is no guarantee that the loophole will exist when you're ready to sell, so why bank on it? I understand the new tax debacle code may include a tightening of this provision, so let's see where we end up when the dust settles.

It's not hogwash, it's not a fable, but it could one day be a memory.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #802 on: December 28, 2017, 11:26:47 AM »

Yes, true, we all need a place to live. Hmm, I don't think I said that.

I just wanted to point out that if you are purchasing a house for the "no capital gains tax" benefit solely and that this is a reason why investing in homes is better than investing in stocks, that argument will not hold water. Who actually does that?

Housing/mortage decisions should not be made based on the "no capital gains" reason alone. Again, who actually does that?
The Home Sale exemption is a nice benefit, and some people actually make a tax-free living doing this in my area. However, there is no guarantee that the loophole will exist when you're ready to sell, so why bank on it? I understand the new tax debacle code may include a tightening of this provision, so let's see where we end up when the dust settles.

It's not hogwash, it's not a fable, but it could one day be a memory.

You say "nobody does that" but you also say some people make a tax-free living doing this.

I don't invest in real estate by flipping homes, but I have read people on this forum that make a living flipping houses in order to avoid the capital gains tax. In fact, some of them were complaining about the new tax law possibly taking this away (I don't think the final tax bill did this). The rule is you have to live in your house two out of the last five years in order to be exempt from capital gains tax. Some people purchase a house, live in in for two years and fix it up, then plan to rent it out for a few years, and then sell to avoid paying capital gains tax.

So I think some people do do this in order to avoid paying capital gains tax as opposed to investing in the stock market, but they may overlook the other costs with flipping homes that may zero out or even be more disadvantageous than just investing in the stock market and paying capital gains tax.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: December 28, 2017, 02:26:44 PM »
Sounds like a double waste. IMO.

Huh? IIRC, Spartana's cash is sitting around for a few months while she figures out whether she will buy a house or not. When the timeframe is that short, putting the money in the market would be stupid.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #804 on: December 28, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »
Seller pays RE commissions. You don’t pay on both ends. Also in my area 5% is more common than 6%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You kind of are because the seller takes that 6% into account when deciding on selling price alright make it 3% on each end then. There are other transaction costs as well.

Correct it doesn't really matter where the commission is paid from the seller wants a net return in their pocket.

Really putting it into the sale price just adds some more money to the commission the agents take. Real estate agents serve no purpose in most cases anymore.

I found my previous place on my own on realtor.com. I tried to get the seller's agent (who was actually her sister) to reduce the 6% to 3%. She would still get paid her 3%. She declined to reduce the rate. So I ended up calling a real estate agent that had the easiest transaction ever as they barely did any work, but got their 3%. I surely wasn't going to let the seller's sister walk away with 6% because she didn't feel like negotiating it down.

Um, that's when you find a cash-back buyer's agent. We did that when we bought this house 10+ years ago. Did all the legwork ourselves, hired a buyer's agent to help with the offer process. She got 3% at closing, then promptly turned around and sent us a check for 2%.  Win all around. Very little work for her, cash back for us.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #805 on: December 31, 2017, 06:18:29 PM »
I'm so dang drunk already, i might just pay off B42's mortage early just to piss him off.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #806 on: December 31, 2017, 06:38:19 PM »
I'm so dang drunk already, i might just pay off B42's mortage early just to piss him off.

Reported to the moderators. Reason: absolutely fabulous.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: December 31, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »
Hope he has a sense of humor.. .

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #808 on: December 31, 2017, 11:10:35 PM »

He would just mortgage it again.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #809 on: January 07, 2018, 04:15:32 AM »
so its a personal lack of comfort and self control issues.  setting these aside the leveraged situation would work out better in most cases barring the catastrophic years historically and if you're worried about sequencing on a bit of money you leverage via a mortgage to invest while you're still accumulating then you'll be super worried when with drawing b/c the same logic applies to both about the first 10 years being indicative.  but in the FIREd situation you dont have an income stream other than your funds ie riskier where as in the accumulation phase you have a secondary income stream thats likely able to cover your assets. 
gage.

re: comfort / control. I think that personal finance is about 80% behavior, so this is definitely an important thing to consider. While you seem to make the comment disparagingly, I think it's just lack of hubris of my part. People are not econs...even people on this forum (myself included).

re: sequencing. I would argue that it's not "a bit of money" being leveraged here. If I believe that this strategy was a good idea, I should take the biggest mortgage that I can right? That's probably about 50% of my net worth.

another way to think about it instead of stopping or contributing less to a tax advantaged account think of it as moving money from a taxable account to a tax advantaged account and using your income to pay your mortgage.

Sure, this is obviously the way you would do this. But, anyone who does this and doesn't realize that they are ratcheting down their ravings rate in favor of a leveraged lump sum of money is lying to themselves.

To me, trading savings rate for a leveraged lump sum payment smells too much like trying to time the market. I don't think that's a great play right now. I get that the market beats the mortgage rate in most 30 year periods and my whole financial plan is based on long term gains in the market. But, I feel like the periods that lose look kind of like the period we're in.

Ultimately, I recognize that your strategy has a higher chance to win bigger in shorter time. But, I'm not interested in wining bigger or faster. At this point, I think my job is to minimize catastrophic risk.

Like many on this forum, I'm on 3rd with no outs and I don't need to try to steal home. Instead of trying to minimize my retirement age, I'm trying to cap the maximum age where I'll call it quits. I think both strategies are reasonable, but I like mine better (it's OK if you don't).

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #810 on: January 07, 2018, 04:55:48 AM »
Its perfectly fine if you've explored it all and determined it's a more enjoyable life for you to paydown or not have a mortgage. My point is and has always been this forum needs to preach the best and fastest ways to fire and this point people always tend to chime in with feelings and bad math which doesn't benefit the many new comers to this forum.  If Everytime someone posted about buying a brand new truck the truck lovers came out vocally telling them how great it feels and throwing down some math to make it seem like a good idea that would be bad for the forum, no? 

We are at a very unique time in history and it's highly unlikely these rates come back. What is most likely is bond rates recede to their norm and then your guaranteed return paying down a mortgage or buying a house lump sum looks like a poor decision.

It's not market timing if your strategy/plan is to hold low cost fixed rate mortgages if they make financial sense and are better stastically than not having them. And lump sum investing beats DCA stastically. You should go checkout the recently revived thread on how bad paying down a mortgage is for your FI date. Where many people were talking about the market being at all time highs and a crash was coming so it made sense to pay down a mortgage.  They've come out dramatically behind.  And most of the investors now would have to see greater than a 50% loss to hit the worst case that is always preached by the paydown crowd of selling at a loss. Bc they don't truly realize how incredibly unlikley selling at a loss really is.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #811 on: January 08, 2018, 09:07:04 AM »
Its perfectly fine if you've explored it all and determined it's a more enjoyable life for you to paydown or not have a mortgage. My point is and has always been......

Maybe we can get a sticky topic for boarder's point.  Then he won't have to spend so much of his time repeating it for us. 

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #812 on: January 08, 2018, 01:21:22 PM »
Cycling Stache, where did you get the idea that Mustachianism is "normal"? It's awesome that you seem to think so, but the belief in the possibility of successful early retirement is far, far from "normal" to most of the world's population.

We mustachians aim to do things differently. Learning before acting is all that's being suggested in this and related threads. Why is that so difficult? What does it cost anyone to learn before they act? Learning a different way to view the "norm" is the entire premise of mustachianism.

And unlike the person who wrote the words below, I'm happy to answer questions that help others learn. That's why I'm here.
This is all i wish to add on the topic, so no replies are expected.

So I thought about this for a while before responding.

Behavioral economics was founded on the fundamental insight that people act irrationally even when they believe that what they're doing is rational.   That was a big break from the idea that people acted rationally (as best they could) unless overcome by emotion.

The problem with that is that what appears to be rational behavior to the individual is very hard to shake precisely because it appears rational to them.

You note that Mustachians are different, but I suspect that they're different in the opposite way from what you're thinking.  Most people are loss averse, but who are the most natural Mustachians here?  Likely people who saved money (more than their peers).  Those are the more risk averse people--the people who have built up more of a buffer to protect themselves from future loss. 

It's all fine and good to talk about the trail blazers like MMM who are jumping off into FIRE, but really, that's not the vast majority of people on these forums.  Most are the savers and are excited about the idea that all this saving is for a purpose someday.  Will the majority jump when they hit their FIRE number?  I'm skeptical, at least until people build up significant buffers (and oversavings).

That's relevant because the question is what people will do when the market takes a sharp downturn?  If they stick it out, then that's fine.  But if they panic because they're thinking that they need to pay off the mortgage, or they don't want to see the loss, that's different.  Again, the math is all fine, but it's a question in part of what people will actually do.  And behavioral economics suggests that we are risk averse people who fear loss and might not make completely rational decisions, even though we believe we will.

We'll see.  Consider this a placeholder for now.  But if we wanted a short-term test, we should start a post on the Investor Alley forum that says "Market just hit an all-time high; should I take out a home equity loan so I can invest more?"  If you and boarder don't respond, I think the responses are likely to be 90% negative.  Even though it's the same question as whether people should invest while still paying down their mortgage, in which case most people would say of course.  The fact that the answer would be completely different for what is effectively the same question shows the impact of behavioral economics.

It's great for us all to believe we'll act rationally at all times, but that is the flawed premise of economics.  We often don't act rationally, even when we think we do.   So I agree that it's good to learn, and these are important points, but with the caveat that behavioral economics means that it can't be as simple as "just math" so long as there's the possibility that people won't be able to stick to the "just math" analysis at all times.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: January 08, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
Cycling Stache, where did you get the idea that Mustachianism is "normal"? It's awesome that you seem to think so, but the belief in the possibility of successful early retirement is far, far from "normal" to most of the world's population.

We mustachians aim to do things differently. Learning before acting is all that's being suggested in this and related threads. Why is that so difficult? What does it cost anyone to learn before they act? Learning a different way to view the "norm" is the entire premise of mustachianism.

And unlike the person who wrote the words below, I'm happy to answer questions that help others learn. That's why I'm here.

Behavioral economics was founded on the fundamental insight that people act irrationally even when they believe that what they're doing is rational.   That was a big break from the idea that people acted rationally (as best they could) unless overcome by emotion.

The problem with that is that what appears to be rational behavior to the individual is very hard to shake precisely because it appears rational to them.

You note that Mustachians are different, but I suspect that they're different in the opposite way from what you're thinking.  Most people are loss averse, but who are the most natural Mustachians here?  Likely people who saved money (more than their peers).  Those are the more risk averse people--the people who have built up more of a buffer to protect themselves from future loss. 

It's all fine and good to talk about the trail blazers like MMM who are jumping off into FIRE, but really, that's not the vast majority of people on these forums.  Most are the savers and are excited about the idea that all this saving is for a purpose someday.  Will the majority jump when they hit their FIRE number?  I'm skeptical, at least until people build up significant buffers (and oversavings).

That's relevant because the question is what people will do when the market takes a sharp downturn?  If they stick it out, then that's fine.  But if they panic because they're thinking that they need to pay off the mortgage, or they don't want to see the loss, that's different.  Again, the math is all fine, but it's a question in part of what people will actually do.  And behavioral economics suggests that we are risk averse people who fear loss and might not make completely rational decisions, even though we believe we will.

We'll see.  Consider this a placeholder for now.  But if we wanted a short-term test, we should start a post on the Investor Alley forum that says "Market just hit an all-time high; should I take out a home equity loan so I can invest more?"  If you and boarder don't respond, I think the responses are likely to be 90% negative.  Even though it's the same question as whether people should invest while still paying down their mortgage, in which case most people would say of course.  The fact that the answer would be completely different for what is effectively the same question shows the impact of behavioral economics.

It's great for us all to believe we'll act rationally at all times, but that is the flawed premise of economics.  We often don't act rationally, even when we think we do.   So I agree that it's good to learn, and these are important points, but with the caveat that behavioral economics means that it can't be as simple as "just math" so long as there's the possibility that people won't be able to stick to the "just math" analysis at all times.

well your thread title is a poor thread title by nature of the question its implying the poster is starting the thread b/c of a certain market event or afraid b/c of a market event.  if the question was just the latter half it would be a fair question b/c the valuation of the market being at an all time high should have nothing to do with the decision.  I actually just reached out to a couple mortgage lenders today to see what kind of HEL i could get on the extra equity i have in my home so i could dump it into the market.  with the real estate gains recently i could have as much as 100k in equity depending on who appraises my house that i could dump into the market.

Also its not just Dicey and boarder that think this - the others have been burnt out or are much less vocal @brooklynguy being the one who convinced me in the mega thread a while ago .

It may be worth while to make a sticky that goes thru the real math behind paying down your mortgage and include the calculators that show what you're risking in opportunity lost by paying one down.  including how PMI effects the interest on a loan which is almost always miscalculated.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #814 on: January 08, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »

It really isn't the same question though.  Two of the main appeals of not paying off a mortgage are the length of the term (30 years) and a low fixed rate of interest.   Both of those are necessary conditions for the argument against paying down the mortgage to make sense.   HELOCs are typically either variable interest, or fixed rate but with an amortization period of usually much less than 30 years (5-20 years is common).  Fixed rate HELOCs are higher interest than a regular mortgage as well. 

Taking out a HELOC and investing might make sense, but the outcomes are much less certain. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #815 on: January 08, 2018, 02:54:39 PM »

It really isn't the same question though.  Two of the main appeals of not paying off a mortgage are the length of the term (30 years) and a low fixed rate of interest.   Both of those are necessary conditions for the argument against paying down the mortgage to make sense.   HELOCs are typically either variable interest, or fixed rate but with an amortization period of usually much less than 30 years (5-20 years is common).  Fixed rate HELOCs are higher interest than a regular mortgage as well. 

Taking out a HELOC and investing might make sense, but the outcomes are much less certain.

to be fair it said Home Equity Loan which is basically a new mortgage and can be a fixed rate however they typically do have shorter than 30 year terms and slightly higher rates than a traditional mortgage.

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #816 on: January 08, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »
well your thread title is a poor thread title by nature of the question its implying the poster is starting the thread b/c of a certain market event or afraid b/c of a market event.  if the question was just the latter half it would be a fair question b/c the valuation of the market being at an all time high should have nothing to do with the decision.

But that's exactly the point.  The fact that the way the question is framed might affect the outcome of the responses--even though it has no effect on the analysis--shows the impact of the behavioral errors we may make. 

I framed the question that way on purpose, both because it suggests that OP would be making a poorly-reasoned decision, and because it triggers the risk aversion that most people have.  I think the response to the question as framed will be no your house is paid off don't risk it on something uncertain like stocks (just because--or especially because--stocks are at an all-time high).  The correct answer regardless of the wording of the question should be yes, you should invest (based on math).  But if the wording of the question is itself enough to throw off the analysis for most people, that suggests that the ability to consistently apply rational, mathematical analysis is itself questionable.  That was my point.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #817 on: January 08, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »
I would say it suggests most are under educated more than emotional.

Your posts suggests market timing which is viewer as bad. Even if it was the market is at all time lows should I remortgage my paid off house the answer would be no bc that's not the reason. The reason you remortgage is bc the market is going to outperform a low fixed rate for 30 years and has nothing to do with present value. So while the poster may be emotional this forum should act as an advisor to every member and help each other detach emotion.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:25:45 PM by boarder42 »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #818 on: January 08, 2018, 04:33:47 PM »

...But if we wanted a short-term test, we should start a post on the Investor Alley forum that says "Market just hit an all-time high; should I take out a home equity loan so I can invest more?"  If you [Dicey]and boarder don't respond*, I think the responses are likely to be 90% negative.  Even though it's the same question as whether people should invest while still paying down their mortgage, in which case most people would say of course.**  The fact that the answer would be completely different for what is effectively the same question shows the impact of behavioral economics.
* B42 and I sing different verses of the same song. Please point to where I have ever suggested taking out a HELOC or a home equity loan*** to  invest more. I'll wait.

**I do not agree that it is the same question.

***Clarification, based on b42's input below.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:48:10 AM by Dicey »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #819 on: January 09, 2018, 03:51:13 AM »
Again it says home equity loan not home equity line of credit. These are 2 very different things.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #820 on: January 09, 2018, 05:50:12 AM »
and on the under educated part - people may play the emotional card more readily than admit they just dont understand the math and arent eductated b/c people dont like to admit they dont know or understand something. 

IMO @Cycling Stache there are multiple things in play in addition to the emotional side of losing money people fear including how in general if you want to get financially "healthy" the first step is eliminate debt and many come here after doing some dave ramsey things so as @Dicey has indicated many times and what your initial reply was to - i think as mustachians we should push for the highest for everyone and support each other even though our feelings may want to push us another way.  As i said above the forum should act as a great financial advisor that steers you in the very best direction and then if you must b/c of personal reasons steer away thats fine but it shouldnt be a prominent voice here.

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #821 on: January 09, 2018, 08:13:01 AM »

...But if we wanted a short-term test, we should start a post on the Investor Alley forum that says "Market just hit an all-time high; should I take out a home equity loan so I can invest more?"  If you [Dicey]and boarder don't respond*, I think the responses are likely to be 90% negative.  Even though it's the same question as whether people should invest while still paying down their mortgage, in which case most people would say of course.**  The fact that the answer would be completely different for what is effectively the same question shows the impact of behavioral economics.
* B42 and I sing different verses of the same song. Please point to where I have ever suggested taking out a HELOC or a home equity loan*** to  invest more. I'll wait.

**I do not agree that it is the same question.

***Clarification, based on b42's input below.

This isn't a personal attack.  I mentioned you and boarder because you are both vocal and persistent with the idea that the math tells you what to do.  In the absence of that strong voice early on in response to my proposed hypothetical, I think most responses will go negative (don't take out a home equity loan) because of how the question is worded, which as stated above, is the entire point.  If the wording of the question can skew the responses, then it shows that people have difficulty consistently applying the correct, rational analysis.

The question I posed above is indeed exactly the same, or close enough for government work.

If you have a minimum amount of money that you have to pay to keep your house (either a mortgage payment or equity in the house that the bank won't let you tap), and you have extra dollars (beyond your mortgage payment or equity that the bank will let you tap), do you pay down the mortgage or invest in the market with those extra dollars?  If you're investing while paying a mortgage, you're choosing to put extra dollars towards the market rather than paying additional amounts towards the mortgage.  Mathematical analysis says you should do that, and I think most people would say you should do that.

Flipping the framework still poses the same question.  If you have a paid-off house, you can tap some of the equity in that house, either in the form of a home equity loan or a HELOC.  Those are extra dollars that don't have to remain "paid" towards the house/mortgage.  So do you use those to pay down the mortgage (i.e. keep them in the equity of the house), or do you invest them.  Math says invest (and boarder has been consistent on this point), but I think the responses to that hypothetical will tend much more towards not tapping the money to invest.  That's an irrational response based on the framing of the question, and the fact that you get different responses to the same mathematical question highlights the point that I'm raising.

The terminology of a home equity loan versus a mortgage is not meant to be an issue.  I understood a mortgage to be the loan taken out at the time of purchase to finance the purchase, and a home equity loan to be the loan you take out once your house is paid off and you're tapping the equity.  Whatever the equivalent loan terminology is, that's what I'm referring to.

Ultimately, I agree with boarder's final point that we should educate people on the math, and the math is what everyone should aspire to.  But we also need to consider how people act and whether they're going to be able to hold the line in times of crisis.  I'm less confident about that, because behavioral economics.

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #822 on: January 09, 2018, 09:19:37 AM »
Mathematical analysis says you should do that

Mathematical analysis does not say what you should do. It delivers an output based on your inputs. That gives you a data point to consider, along with any others you may have collected.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #823 on: January 09, 2018, 09:22:32 AM »
If you have a minimum amount of money that you have to pay to keep your house (either a mortgage payment or equity in the house that the bank won't let you tap), and you have extra dollars (beyond your mortgage payment or equity that the bank will let you tap), do you pay down the mortgage or invest in the market with those extra dollars?  If you're investing while paying a mortgage, you're choosing to put extra dollars towards the market rather than paying additional amounts towards the mortgage.  Mathematical analysis says you should do that, and I think most people would say you should do that.

I think this is where you've lost me. One of the most consistent fights I've seen this forum get into contradicts the bolded message. I believe you wouldn't even been 50/50 split on using that extra money to invest, at least looking at the size of the Pay off the Mortgage vs Don't Pay off the Mortgage threads.

Discussing why it is behavioral and emotional only jumps past the point that there are a ton of people that are not willing / unable to do the math to figure out the level of emotion they are actually pricing in.

It would help immensely if everyone would start doing the math and then making their decision. The emotional part of mortgage debt is never going to swing to loving having one... but if people can at least understand the magnitude of what their choice is costing them they can make more informed decisions. (And hopefully slowly challenge their emotional bias in more financial choices).

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #824 on: January 09, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »

Mathematical analysis does not say what you should do. It delivers an output based on your inputs. That gives you a data point to consider, along with any others you may have collected.

yes it does.  most all of this forum plans to use a 4% SWR or some variant of this - if you believe this will support you in FIRE then the math 100% supports not paying a mortgage down.  could you end up in a weird sequence of return risk scenario? yes but its not predictable and represents such a small likelihood historically that its mathematically a poor choice. 

you cannot believe in the 4% rule or some variant and then on the other hand say paying down a mortgage is mathematically a poor decision.

you can continue to refuse to believe it but there is an overwhelming large mathematical disadvantage you're creating for yourself if  you pay off a house vs not.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #825 on: January 09, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »
Flipping the framework still poses the same question.  If you have a paid-off house, you can tap some of the equity in that house, either in the form of a home equity loan or a HELOC.  Those are extra dollars that don't have to remain "paid" towards the house/mortgage.  So do you use those to pay down the mortgage (i.e. keep them in the equity of the house), or do you invest them.  Math says invest (and boarder has been consistent on this point), but I think the responses to that hypothetical will tend much more towards not tapping the money to invest.  That's an irrational response based on the framing of the question, and the fact that you get different responses to the same mathematical question highlights the point that I'm raising.

The terminology of a home equity loan versus a mortgage is not meant to be an issue.  I understood a mortgage to be the loan taken out at the time of purchase to finance the purchase, and a home equity loan to be the loan you take out once your house is paid off and you're tapping the equity.  Whatever the equivalent loan terminology is, that's what I'm referring to.

It can only be mathematically the same if the numbers are the same---and they aren't.  HELOCs or home equity loans are not mathematically the same as mortgages, and they aren't functionally the same either.

As I said previously,  two of the necessary conditions for the argument against paying down the mortgage are the length of the term (30 years) and a low fixed rate of interest.   I've never heard of a HELOC or home equity loan with a 30 year term.  They might exist, but they are rare and unusual creatures.   If the loan term is different, and the interest rates are different, then a mortgage and home equity cannot be mathematically identical.  It is a different problem, with different numbers and a different set of assumptions.   

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #826 on: January 09, 2018, 10:07:03 AM »
It can only be mathematically the same if the numbers are the same---and they aren't.  HELOCs or home equity loans are not mathematically the same as mortgages, and they aren't functionally the same either.

Again, this is a red herring.  Whatever the equivalent of a mortgage is that a person who owns their house can get, that's the loan we're referring to.  I've traditionally heard the term mortgage applied to the loan used to purchase a property, but if it's the same term for a loan for someone who owns their house outright, then fine, let's call it a mortgage. 

I've never heard of a HELOC or home equity loan with a 30 year term.  They might exist, but they are rare and unusual creatures.

This point about timing is more interesting, though.  Why does your analysis change if the term of the loan is shorter than 30 years?  If you have 4 years left to pay off your mortgage, are you more likely to make additional payments at that point?  If so, why?  If not, why does the length of the loan term matter to your analysis (assuming you don't need the money for something else at the end of the loan)?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #827 on: January 09, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »

As I said previously,  two of the necessary conditions for the argument against paying down the mortgage are the length of the term (30 years) and a low fixed rate of interest.   I've never heard of a HELOC or home equity loan with a 30 year term.  They might exist, but they are rare and unusual creatures.   If the loan term is different, and the interest rates are different, then a mortgage and home equity cannot be mathematically identical.  It is a different problem, with different numbers and a different set of assumptions.

correct and part of the problem with posing that question is those must be defined - and far to many people confuse HELs and HELOCs - they are very different and neither are as good as the original mortgage - which further pushes the problem of paying down a mortgage before you truly evaluate what you're doing to your financial future - its not as simple as just go get another one.  if i'd paid off my mortgage i couldnt go out today and get 3.25% for 30 years even if i sold my house and bought a new one.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #828 on: January 09, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »

Again, this is a red herring.  Whatever the equivalent of a mortgage is that a person who owns their house can get, that's the loan we're referring to.  I've traditionally heard the term mortgage applied to the loan used to purchase a property, but if it's the same term for a loan for someone who owns their house outright, then fine, let's call it a mortgage. 

I've never heard of a HELOC or home equity loan with a 30 year term.  They might exist, but they are rare and unusual creatures.

This point about timing is more interesting, though.  Why does your analysis change if the term of the loan is shorter than 30 years?  If you have 4 years left to pay off your mortgage, are you more likely to make additional payments at that point?  If so, why?  If not, why does the length of the loan term matter to your analysis (assuming you don't need the money for something else at the end of the loan)?

length of the loan matters becasue your making a commitment at the start of the loan based on the 30 year period of stock performance and over a 30 year period you'll come out ahead based on all previous 30 year periods.  with 4 years left we may be in a very differnet situation - either rates have risen or dropped if they've risen above the point that its not economical to REFI and still come out ahead over the next 30 or theyve dropped and you refi and keep going - if they've risen guess what - bonds are going to be returning more than your mortgage interest so why would you pay your mortgage down over taking that.

in 10 years people are going to be in this forum wishing they'd had the rates many of us have locked in - and others will feel remorse for having given up a once in a life time gift the US govt gave its citizens for 10 - 15 years.  i'll be able to buy bonds that return much higher than the mortgage i have on my house which is an easily rebalanced vehicle as opposed to a house. 

10 years is just a number it could be 5 it could be 20 it may never happen and rates will remain at the bottom forever - this is unlikely though.

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #829 on: January 09, 2018, 10:21:20 AM »

yes it does.  most all of this forum plans to use a 4% SWR or some variant of this - if you believe this will support you in FIRE then the math 100% supports not paying a mortgage down.  could you end up in a weird sequence of return risk scenario? yes but its not predictable and represents such a small likelihood historically that its mathematically a poor choice. 

you cannot believe in the 4% rule or some variant and then on the other hand say paying down a mortgage is mathematically a poor decision.

you can continue to refuse to believe it but there is an overwhelming large mathematical disadvantage you're creating for yourself if  you pay off a house vs not.

You're taking one calculation and saying that "the math says" your particular conclusion. Doesn't work like that. Well, it does for you. Which is good. But you're assuming it applies to everyone. Which is bad.

There's a whole universe of factors beyond the way you've set up your equation, the inputs you've chosen, and the conclusion you draw from that calculation.

People aren't as dumb as you think. They have reasons for their actions, too.

When you make a sweeping statement like "you cannot believe in the 4% rule or some variant and then on the other hand say paying down a mortgage is mathematically a poor decision" then I need exactly one counterexample to prove the statement isn't logically valid. Which I can easily provide.

You should be saying, "I have a particular equation that I use, and certain inputs, and by this math I conclude that not paying off my house is the best decision." A very fair statement. But assuming that everyone who approaches the problem differently is ignorant -- not so cool.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:23:09 AM by MrMoneySaver »

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #830 on: January 09, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »

length of the loan matters becasue your making a commitment at the start of the loan based on the 30 year period of stock performance and over a 30 year period you'll come out ahead based on all previous 30 year periods.  with 4 years left we may be in a very differnet situation - either rates have risen or dropped if they've risen above the point that its not economical to REFI and still come out ahead over the next 30 or theyve dropped and you refi and keep going - if they've risen guess what - bonds are going to be returning more than your mortgage interest so why would you pay your mortgage down over taking that.

in 10 years people are going to be in this forum wishing they'd had the rates many of us have locked in - and others will feel remorse for having given up a once in a life time gift the US govt gave its citizens for 10 - 15 years.  i'll be able to buy bonds that return much higher than the mortgage i have on my house which is an easily rebalanced vehicle as opposed to a house. 

10 years is just a number it could be 5 it could be 20 it may never happen and rates will remain at the bottom forever - this is unlikely though.

Actually, isn't all that irrelevant?  Stocks normally return a premium over the risk-free rate of return (bonds).   I've always understood that premium to be fairly consistent (subject to the general volatility in the market).

If so, the question isn't what is your mortgage rate compared to the bond rate?  You shouldn't care about that at all, because the stock returns should have increased consistent with the interest-rate increase.  So, you'll never decide that the bond rate has increased to a point where you should now pay off your mortgage, because the expected returns in the market should still be correspondingly higher, and you should always choose the market returns.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #831 on: January 09, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »

Actually, isn't all that irrelevant?  Stocks normally return a premium over the risk-free rate of return (bonds).   I've always understood that premium to be fairly consistent (subject to the general volatility in the market).

If so, the question isn't what is your mortgage rate compared to the bond rate?  You shouldn't care about that at all, because the stock returns should have increased consistent with the interest-rate increase.  So, you'll never decide that the bond rate has increased to a point where you should now pay off your mortgage, because the expected returns in the market should still be correspondingly higher, and you should always choose the market returns.

my point is if one was looking for "risk free return" as may often point out when paying a mortgage down over investing i wouldnt pay down my mortgage with 4 years left  regardless of the bond level but if they are low then i'm probably doing a cash out REFI but i likely did that much earlier  than waiting til 4 years.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #832 on: January 09, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »

You're taking one calculation and saying that "the math says" your particular conclusion. Doesn't work like that. Well, it does for you. Which is good. But you're assuming it applies to everyone. Which is bad.

There's a whole universe of factors beyond the way you've set up your equation, the inputs you've chosen, and the conclusion you draw from that calculation.

People aren't as dumb as you think. They have reasons for their actions, too.

When you make a sweeping statement like "you cannot believe in the 4% rule or some variant and then on the other hand say paying down a mortgage is mathematically a poor decision" then I need exactly one counterexample to prove the statement isn't logically valid. Which I can easily provide.

You should be saying, "I have a particular equation that I use, and certain inputs, and by this math I conclude that not paying off my house is the best decision." A very fair statement. But assuming that everyone who approaches the problem differently is ignorant -- not so cool.

Most people are ignorant of this math whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you but as a whole most people are ignorant to it. 

and you havent easily provided that example.  b/c if your example includes just a single data point of when it would have been bad its still bad from a mathmatical stand point b/c that is statistically less likely to happen. can you pick a specific window and show that paying down a mortgage would have one using the best rates available today? yes.  but i can produce a near infinite amount of examples to where it loses.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #833 on: January 09, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
Okay, I see a lot of things I want to quote and discuss, so this is a placeholder until I can get to a real keyboard and screen. I'll be back later.

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #834 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
b/c if your example includes just a single data point of when it would have been bad its still bad from a mathmatical stand point b/c that is statistically less likely to happen.

But you made an absolute, sweeping statement. To prove it invalid, I need exactly one counterexample. Doesn't need to be statistically anything. That's not "bad," it's just the way the universe works.

If you didn't mean to make a sweeping statement, then you should add some qualifiers. Otherwise, you are overstating your case. And using faulty logic.

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #835 on: January 09, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »
My point is that the forum should be a place where people can discuss this stuff, but no one person should jump into every thread and try to browbeat everyone into one point of view. And it's just that, a point of view -- not a postulate. There are many factors -- mathematical factors, not just "emotional" -- that your streamlined calculation does not take into account. You should be more circumspect, as there is not a one-size-fits-all answer.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #836 on: January 09, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
My point is that the forum should be a place where people can discuss this stuff, but no one person should jump into every thread and try to browbeat everyone into one point of view. And it's just that, a point of view -- not a postulate. There are many factors -- mathematical factors, not just "emotional" -- that your streamlined calculation does not take into account. You should be more circumspect, as there is not a one-size-fits-all answer.

there is a one size fits most and these variables included in that most has been discussed at length many times.  the emotional factor was not brought up by me in this and we were far from that. 

also i will continue to show up in any and every post b/c most post poor math to favor their emotions.

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #837 on: January 09, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »
also i will continue to show up in any and every post b/c most post poor math to favor their emotions.

I think that really detracts from the forum.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #838 on: January 09, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »

i think it helps others who are getting bad information make a more informed decison

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #839 on: January 09, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
Bad decision???  Paying off the mortgage depends on your appetite for risk.  The long term average market returns can disguise long periods with flat or negative real returns - up to 15 years for a 100% stock investment, or up to 10 years for more traditional stock/bond portfolios like the 60/40.  (source:  portfoliocharts.com)

Currently, the 30 year fixed rates are around 4%, meaning that paying off the mortgage is a risk free real return of 2%.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking that guaranteed return, especially for people who can no longer itemize deductions and who already have substantial liquidity.

It is never a bad decision to trade off future expected gains for reduced risk.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #840 on: January 09, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »

i think it helps others who are getting bad information make a more informed decison

B42 I strongly suggest you write up your viewpoint, with examples and links to other discussions, and post it somewhere on the forum as a new thread. You could even ask the mods to lock it if you want. Then, when people post case studies or whatever, you can link to that thread instead of having to repeat yourself over and over. Going about it that way would probably remove some of the emotion and blowback that you get.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #841 on: January 09, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »

I don't think that others expressing their viewpoints and their own reasons for paying off a mortgage is "bad" information.  It is information people can consider in making their own decisions

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #842 on: January 09, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »

I don't think that others expressing their viewpoints and their own reasons for paying off a mortgage is "bad" information.  It is information people can consider in making their own decisions

it is when the information is you save xxxxx in interest look at how awesome that would be - bad

or it is when people are paying down a mortgage pre taxadvantaged maxing - bad

or when they say i was able to increase my investment contribution a lot when i got done with my mortgage - bad

forgot my favorite worst reason - thinking its less risky to pay a mortgage down over time vs invest the money b/c what if i lose my job!!! - this is probably the worst take that shows up here b/c people tend to buy into this and its wrong on so many levels.

and most of the time its people saying do it - it feels so good to not have that debt
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:32:29 PM by boarder42 »

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #843 on: January 09, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »
Re: comparison to 4% rule

My impression is that the expected failure rate of this strategy would be higher than the expected failure rate for a 4% SWR.

My understanding is that the 95% success rate associated with the Trinity study defines "success" as having > $0 after 30 years.

For this strategy, don't you need to have more than the initial principle (i.e. the mortgage amount that you put in the market) after 30 years for success?

I think that for the Trinity study data, imposing that "success" condition moves the failure from ~ 5% to ~ 20% (I've heard that 20% mentioned, but haven't seen data). But, the failure rate here would be less than that ~ 20% because the "spending" (i.e. mortgage payment) is protected from inflation (while Trinity assumes spending increases with inflation).

Is that true, or am I making a mistake somewhere?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #844 on: January 09, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »
Well the big mistake I see is that the Trinity study assumed 4% withdraws plus inflation, whereas a fixed rate mortgage does not shift with inflation.
You can use simulations like cFireSim to calculate the portfolio success/failure after adjusting for inflation or not. 

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #845 on: January 09, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »

For this strategy, don't you need to have more than the initial principle (i.e. the mortgage amount that you put in the market) after 30 years for success?

Nope.  It is a simple* A and B comparison.  A) is use extra money to pay down the mortgage.  B) is use extra money to invest and don't pay down the mortgage.  In scenario A) there is a general assumption that after the mortgage is paid down, you would then use the freed up monies to invest.   

"Success" is determined by which ever strategy is likely to leave you with the most money after 30 years.   The problem for scenario A comes around year 15, usually.  At that point the mortgage is paid off, or close to being paid off, depending on the assumptions, so the Scenario A person in theory has a bunch more cash flow to invest.  But the Scenario B person has all the Green Soldiers.  Plus, the Scenario B person has paid most of their interest already (because of the way home loans are amortized), so Scenario A isn't all that far head (again depending on assumptions). 

*Maybe not so simple.  You can dive down the rat hole pretty far with different assumptions, tax implications, etc.  But it doesn't matter too much.  Paying down the mortgage is almost never a good idea at today's rates.  The interest savings is too small, and the investing head start is just too big to over come.   

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #846 on: January 10, 2018, 03:56:31 AM »

Nope.  It is a simple* A and B comparison.  A) is use extra money to pay down the mortgage.  B) is use extra money to invest and don't pay down the mortgage.  In scenario A) there is a general assumption that after the mortgage is paid down, you would then use the freed up monies to invest.   

I understand that those are the two options. But, it's been written here several times that "you should believe in this strategy if you believe in a 4% SWR".

I think comparing this directly to a 4% withdrawal rate misses the fact that the "success" conditions are different.

My belief is that this strategy will work more often than not, but it increases downside risk. I think that the increased risk was smaller a decade ago when mortgage rates were (slightly) lower and we had a CAPE of ~ 15 (instead of 33.4 now).

To me the increased risk in this strategy seems to make it more appropriate for someone who wouldn't otherwise be able to retire, not someone who's already all but guaranteed to retire early (again, I may have felt differently 10 years ago). When you're already all but set, I don't think it's worth risking getting washed out for a marginal reduction in working time.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #847 on: January 10, 2018, 04:29:03 AM »
Well the big mistake I see is that the Trinity study assumed 4% withdraws plus inflation, whereas a fixed rate mortgage does not shift with inflation.
You can use simulations like cFireSim to calculate the portfolio success/failure after adjusting for inflation or not.

That's why I said this:

I think that for the Trinity study data, imposing that "success" condition moves the failure from ~ 5% to ~ 20% (I've heard that 20% mentioned, but haven't seen data). But, the failure rate here would be less than that ~ 20% because the "spending" (i.e. mortgage payment) is protected from inflation (while Trinity assumes spending increases with inflation).

I agree that the worst case scenario of a 1/5 (20%) failure rate is overly conservative because it neglects the fact that the mortgage payment is protected against inflation. And inflation will be a big deal over a 30 year time period.

But, I think that the failure rate should still be greater than 1/20 (5%).

I also think that it's more likely that someone making the decision to start doing this now is more likely to be in a timeline that fails than someone who did this in 2010 because the CAPE is more than double what it was then. I think that means that market performance in the next decade will be (significantly?) worse than it has been for the last decade (not unreasonable since the market is up ~250% since 2010).

My understanding is that poor market performance early in retirement is one of the main failure modes of a 4% SWR (fail early from sequence of returns, fail late from inflation). I assume that the same is true for this strategy since it uses a similar idea (and should have a higher failure rate). In this case, failing early from sequence of returns means may mean you don't benefit from the long term benefit of protection against inflation.

All that is to say: I think that if the idea is to educate people about what to do starting now, (1) it's similar, but not the same as a 4% SWR because the failure rate should be higher (I think?) and (2) some thought should be given to the fact that it seems like we're more likely to be in a timeline of failure than we were a decade ago.  The CAPE was about 10 lower than current values for almost all the cases we can compare against (i.e. from before 1988). It may not be reasonable to expect that the failure rate will be as low as it was in those cases.

I would be interested to see what the success rate looks like for someone beginning this strategy when the CAPE was > 33. But, there are no historical timelines to compare to (not sure how someone who started doing this in 95 would look today, but it hasn't been 30 years yet). The only timeline with a 30 year run where CAPE was ~30 starts on Black Tuesday. One comparison isn't enough to say anything useful.

http://www.multpl.com/shiller-pe/

For what it's worth, I would also be hesitant to retire today with an inflexible 4% SWR. I'm personally planning to get to a 3.5% SWR as it's only working 1-3 more years.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #848 on: January 10, 2018, 06:43:42 AM »
pulling in CAPE to dictate your investment direction is market timing - using CAPE to work a few extra years to pad your stache is a reasonable approach.  So I don't think anyone on the pay down your mortgage side would have any real issue with working a couple extra years to get to a more comfortable SWR.  but using it to dictate where your money is going is a market timing approach.  And if we step back and look at this from a big picture perspective traditionally over time you will reach the point at which you can FIRE 1-2 years or more early by keeping your mortgage. 

So lets hybrid your approach and not pay down our mortgage - then we reach a point where no PI mortgage expenses are covered by our stache at 3.5% plus we have the additional mortgage balance in our stache.  this point at which this happens will likely be 1-2 years ahead of when someone who was paying down the mortgage would have gotten there. 

Now the question is how safe is it in FIRE.  So lets run cFIREsim - you keep saying you think failure rates would be xyz well unless you have a crystal ball we cant know but waht we do have is historical market data in our back pocket and a great tool to test these strategies.  In the end being flexible in FIRE will be what makes you successful regardless of how much planning you do.  but for the sake of this lets run 1MM and 3.5% withdrawal for 40 years and 1.2MM with 35k withdrawal and a 200k 4% mortgage thru cFiresim and see what we get.

i get 99.07% chance of success in the non mortgage scenario and 100% chance of success with a mortgage. so it saves you from the worst year ever. 

The other thing to consider here is bond prices you say CAPE is high i agree though its still artificially high due to 2009 so its really more around 30 and then you need to account for the recent run up was due to speculation on the tax law changing which should increase earnings that arent on the books yet. 

But you should also consider bonds being at low yields.  so if you expect CAPE to regress to the norm its extremely shortsided to look at that one peice and not look at bonds and expect them to regress to the norm.  these are both speculative but i think both are correct assumptions which means its even further short sighted to choose to invest your little green soldiers in your house b/c its a better return than bonds is TODAY.  b/c your mortgage is fixed for 30 years.  You have a gift from the federal govt that i dont think any generation will see again - and if you asked this question posed in this thread in 10 years and people were truly honest with themselves they would have some regret

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #849 on: January 10, 2018, 08:04:48 AM »
I hadn't thought about the opportunity cost on not maxing out retirement accounts and still paying down the house.

My brother's in this situation, he emotionally wants to pay off his house quickly and probably will <_<. 

Im to lazy to do the math but im sure 4% return vs a upfront(trad ira/401k) 15~% + index fund growth would absolutely crush the 4% over almost any time scale.