Author Topic: Considering a bike on CL - not sure what to look for?  (Read 3197 times)

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Considering a bike on CL - not sure what to look for?
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:33:38 PM »
I'm seriously looking into e-bikes for my daily commute to/from work.  While my commute is not far each way, I basically live at the top of a mountain and the return trip home is nearly straight up...basically the same angle as this "/" and it's long.  I figured an e-bike would help me make it up the hill without my asthma going into full gear :)

Anyway, this is the bike I'm going to look at tomorrow: http://emotoev.com/products/bicycles/street/velocity20/

Considering that I know very little about bikes, I'd love someone with more knowledge than I to take a look at the specs on this bike to let me know if this is worth considering.

Thoughts?

FWIW-it's listed on CL as new and is priced at $790.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Considering a bike on CL - not sure what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:53:29 AM »
Test ride it up the hill before you buy.

Most ebikes crap out up very steep hills, and become a dead weight.

Without going custom I suspect you'll need a crank driven ebike (vs hub motor) so you can make use of varying the torque by changing gears.

PS do you already own a bike that you like?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:58:20 AM by gooki »

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »
I haven't owned a bike in yeeaaarrrss!  But, I'll occasionally hop on my son's bike and ride it around the block or two.  So, it's not like bike riding is completely foreign to me. :)

I'm just looking for an alternative method to get to work and do small shopping.  As I said, I live basically at the top of a mountain.  As the bird flies, I'm about a mile to a mile and a half from the office, grocery stores, Target, gym, etc.  As the roads go, it's closer to 3 miles each way.  Theoretically, I could walk it but I like to put my daughter on the bus in the morning and my boss has agreed to allow me to be a few minutes late each day so that I can do this.  But, if I put her on the bus and then walk down...it's probably pushing me about an additional 20 minutes past that.  Walking home takes at least 25 minutes and the hill is STEEP!

I feel absolutely ridiculous hopping in the car for such a crazy short distance.  My husband doesn't like the idea of a bike and is suggesting a scooter.

FWIW, I have to go into the office today for a few hours and I'm walking :), it's absolutely gorgeous outside and I'm going to enjoy it!

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
That bike looks pretty similar to the ones all the Chinese food deliverymen use in NYC, and those bikes see extensive service. The one you're looking at has a 250 watt motor. According to Wikipedia, it takes:
175 W for a 90 kg bike + rider to go 9 m/s (20 mph or 32 km/h) on the flats (76% of effort to overcome aerodynamic drag), or 2.6 m/s (5.8 mph or 9.4 km/h) on a 7% grade (2.1% of effort to overcome aerodynamic drag).
300 W for a 90 kg bike + rider at 11 m/s (25 mph or 40 km/h) on the flats (83% of effort to overcome aerodynamic drag) or 4.3 m/s (9.5 mph or 15 km/h) on a 7% grade (4.2% of effort to overcome aerodynamic drag).
165 W for a 65 kg bike + rider to go 9 m/s (20 mph or 32 km/h) on the flats (82% of effort to overcome aerodynamic drag), or 3.3 m/s (7.4 mph or 12 km/h) on a 7% grade (3.7% of effort to overcome aerodynamic drag).
285 W for a 65 kg bike + rider at 11 m/s (25 mph or 40 km/h) on the flats (87% of effort to overcome aerodynamic drag) or 5.3 m/s (12 mph or 19 km/h) on a 7% grade (6.1% of effort to overcome aerodynamic drag).
So it's probably enough power to help you up a mountain.

The parts spec'd on the bike are basic but reasonable-- generally what you'd see on a ~$400 non-electric bike. The electrical components essentially double the weight, so the bike probably won't be too much fun to ride if your battery runs out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:32:19 PM by ehgee »