Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2020 Runners Thread  (Read 14285 times)

bloodaxe

• Stubble
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2020 Runners Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2020, 04:01:04 PM »
You definitely should be able to break 21 min in 5k if you hit 1:38 in the half.

I ran a 1:40 half then a 20:40 5k a couple months after.

Sounds like either you're naturally a fast-twitch muscle person, or you weren't quite as well trained for the half as you were for the 5K?

Jack Daniels' calculator, which is pretty widely used, says a 1:40 half is equivalent to 21:47 5K. I've been (just) under 1:40 for a half, but never below 21:40 for 5K.

For a 1:38 half, the calculator gives 21:20 for 5K and 44:15 for 10K.

Might be the fast-twitch. My PR in the half is 1:37 but in the 5k it is 19:12.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2020, 07:55:44 AM »
I'm not in the league of you roadrunners, but would you have advice for a sneaker for my son, who is in varsity cross country and track? I bought him some expensive running shoes from Nike, but he said the heels were too high for him, so he keeps going back to the cheapest, flattest sneakers from Payless or Costco.  He ran one pair so hard that a hole wore in the sole.  Will he injure himself this way? Should I replace the shoes as soon as the tread is worn? He's doing well and is the fastest runner in his grade.

Thank you.

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2020, 10:07:17 AM »
I'm not in the league of you roadrunners, but would you have advice for a sneaker for my son, who is in varsity cross country and track? I bought him some expensive running shoes from Nike, but he said the heels were too high for him, so he keeps going back to the cheapest, flattest sneakers from Payless or Costco.  He ran one pair so hard that a hole wore in the sole.  Will he injure himself this way? Should I replace the shoes as soon as the tread is worn? He's doing well and is the fastest runner in his grade.

Thank you.

Yes, I would get new shoes once the tread is worn. I've known a lot of people getting injured from worn out shoes.

It sounds like he dislikes the high "drop" of the shoe. Which is the difference of height between the heel and toe. A lot of Nike shoes do have a high drop.

Take a look at RunRepeat. They list all the sales for running shoes. This is how I get all of mine:

https://runrepeat.com/catalog/low-drop-running-shoes?order_by=popularity

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »
Thank you so much! I will check out RunRepeat. He wears the same shoes for everything, including cross country, which I guess he can get away with for now because he's young.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2021, 07:51:53 PM »
I thought I'd close out the 2020 runners thread with...

Last year I ran 480.6 miles.  (Running was any time I went out and ran, recognizing a lot of those were run/walks, esp near the end).

The year before was 520.6, so not bad.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!