Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2020 Runners Thread  (Read 14256 times)

dblaace

• Bristles
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2020 Runners Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2020, 09:16:13 AM »
I'm trying to get back into it after a year of sporadic running. I put together a training plan for a September race that will start in mid April. Hopefully that will get me motivated to get out the door in the mornings! Between now and then I'm trying to build a base back up  to 25-30 a week.

11 miles today and 19 for the week. 

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2020, 09:28:45 AM »
Still feeling like garbage with difficulty breathing. I'm starting to worry about the rest of this training plan. The race is in five weeks, and I'm going to be out of town this weekend with minimal time to do a good long run.

Have any of you gotten sick at this point before a race? How did you modify your training? I want to balance getting back into the swing of the plan without overdoing it.

I'm thinking something like this:

This week: 2-3 mile runs as I feel better/have time this weekend to get back into it
Week of 2/17: shorter runs during the week, ~6 mile long run on the weekend
Week of 2/24: shorter runs during the week, ~8-9 mile long run on the weekend
Week of 3/2: shorter runs during the week, ~5 mile long run on the weekend
Week of 3/9: shorter runs during the week, half marathon on the weekend

I was originally planning to work up to a 10 mile long run the week of 2/24, but I don't want to push too quickly and burn out or injure myself. I don't have a time goal, I really just want to finish the race uninjured and feel strong enough to handle the whole distance.

I'm really bummed to have this interruption. Since I've never done a race like this before, I haven't tested things like hydration and energy gels during long runs and wanted more of a chance to do so before race day. For a lot of reasons, I think this is going to be my one and only race like this so I want to make it count.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
This weekend I tried something new!  I joined the local trail runners group (I basically stalk their FB page).  I knew that at least 2 of the people on this particular day would be people that I know, and at least one I could keep up with (he's 70).

Anyway, they are fast hikers/ slow trail runners. My speed.  Hike on the rocky parts, jog on the flat, wide, easy parts.  THEY did a point to point 14.5 mile insane hike over 6 hours. 

I went the first 3.5 miles with them (to a view point), then turned around.  Managed 7 miles at a 20 min mile, with 1600 ft of elevation gain.  I think.  It's very steep and rocky, so maybe 3/4 hiking and 1/4 jogging.

I like the trail folk, because unless you are top-5 material, nobody gives a shit how fast you are.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2020, 12:35:36 PM »
This weekend I tried something new!  I joined the local trail runners group (I basically stalk their FB page).  I knew that at least 2 of the people on this particular day would be people that I know, and at least one I could keep up with (he's 70).

Anyway, they are fast hikers/ slow trail runners. My speed.  Hike on the rocky parts, jog on the flat, wide, easy parts.  THEY did a point to point 14.5 mile insane hike over 6 hours. 

I went the first 3.5 miles with them (to a view point), then turned around.  Managed 7 miles at a 20 min mile, with 1600 ft of elevation gain.  I think.  It's very steep and rocky, so maybe 3/4 hiking and 1/4 jogging.

I like the trail folk, because unless you are top-5 material, nobody gives a shit how fast you are.
I switched to trails about 2 1/2 years ago and love it. The people are great and laid back. I still train on the streets a lot but hit the trails when ever possible.  You may find your self doing stupid stuff like like signing up for ultras!

The goal is to finish, not die and have a great time doing it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:37:16 PM by dblaace »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2020, 01:38:20 PM »

I switched to trails about 2 1/2 years ago and love it. The people are great and laid back. I still train on the streets a lot but hit the trails when ever possible.  You may find your self doing stupid stuff like like signing up for ultras!

The goal is to finish, not die and have a great time doing it.
Funny you say that, but the 70 year old is trying to get me to sign up for an ultra in May.  It's pretty chill for an ultra.  I mean, they've got the 4 day, 100 mile, 60 mile, and 30 mile options.  But they have the 10 mile options for babies like me.

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2020, 02:17:38 PM »
I did an 8 mile trail run today. It was covered in snow and I missed a turn, even though I've run on this trail before. So, I ended up on a different trail and did about 2800 feet elevation gain. My goal  pace was 15 min/ mile and actual was 15:13 so close enough. I stopped to take one of my shirts off, adjust my spikes, stuff like that and didn't stop my watch.
I love running on the trails. Going up is so hard, but then running down makes it worth the struggle up.
I don't do as much trails though bc I have to drive there and I can go right out my door and run on paved trails for miles and miles.

I never signed up for the half marathon on 2 Feb and I'm glad I didn't bc it was 70 degrees that day. I've been running in freezing or below freezing all winter. I went and ran basically the course that afternoon, after race was over, and completely bombed it bc of the heat. First 8 miles were good and then lost it physically and probably more mentally. My worst half time ever at 2:01:20 bc I just gave up and walked a lot. Last time I ran that same route at 1:54:45.  I feel like I could have done it in about 1:50 if it had been 35 to 40 degrees cooler.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
Funny you say that, but the 70 year old is trying to get me to sign up for an ultra in May.  It's pretty chill for an ultra.  I mean, they've got the 4 day, 100 mile, 60 mile, and 30 mile options.  But they have the 10 mile options for babies like me.

That would be a great start and volunteer at some races if you get the chance.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2020, 01:19:10 PM »
Training has been progressing well. The last 4 weeks I've averaged 40km/week which I have never achieved before. And this is without any particular long runs above 15km which is great but also makes me a little nervous, as there's only 7 weeks left until my next marathon.

I participated in a 10km fun run yesterday and finished in 48:31. I'd passed 5k in 23:30ish, but had a rough second half with my right hamstring getting a bit tight at about 9km. Slowed to a walk for 100m and took it very easy into the finish. Still beat last year's time at this event (48:54) so that made me happy too. I think it's a reasonable indication of my current level of fitness. Not quite in PB form, but working my way towards it. Just need some cooler weather and I'll be back there and better.

It’s a shame that people seem to forget that they can run when they become adults.
We’re born to run and kids do it all the time.

I participated in my first road race in Cape Town today. It was a 10k and great fun. However, it was so crowded that I couldn’t really race it. It took 8 minutes for the first kilometer! I basically had to walk the first few minutes. Things got better after 4k and I could finally put in a little sprint.

I've seen some of the videos of south african races and Parkruns. You can get thousands of people turn up to small 5k runs.... Some people will finish before you even cross the start line :D

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2020, 01:18:09 PM »

Well, what the hell, I registered for the 10 mile.  It's hilarious though, you literally have to check 10-15 boxes during registration that "yes, I know, no transfers, no refunds".  Plus there's a day-use fee to get on the property, for anyone who wants to get on the property.  Should be fun, except for the getting up at 3:30 am to get there for a 6 am start.  It's that or car camp overnight...eh, not sure which is worse.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2020, 01:27:41 PM »
3:30am isn't so bad.... I seem to be getting used to it, except for the part when I start feeling hungry for lunch at 9am haha.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
For our “anniversary gift” for each other my wife and I got a Theragun G3Pro massager. It was really expensive, like $600, but it works like a champ and I’ve been using it daily and very very happy with it. Since I lift weights heavily along with the running, my muscles, particularly glutes and hamstrings get INSANELY tight and knotted.

Also - I found a deep tissue masseuse that I love and they have a monthly membership for a 1 hour deep tissue massage for $60 plus tip.

I know, super not mustachian but I sacrifice a LOT of quality of life to live where I do, due to my work. I do it because my income is so high it propels me towards FIRE. Fitness and running is one of the very few things that helps keep me sane, and I’ve mostly decided that I am fine not being mustachian when it comes to fitness and how much it benefits my physical, but mostly mental health.

That being said - I’ve had a super annoying cold for 2.5 weeks. I just finished my 7th day of antibiotics and I’m still only like 80%. Fortunately I’m still able to run pretty well (will be at 30 miles this week) but it’s an annoying damper that needs to go away.

Thinking a 10k in mid March and a half in mid April before it gets into the sweltering gulf coast heat/humidity.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2020, 08:33:04 AM »

Well, what the hell, I registered for the 10 mile.  It's hilarious though, you literally have to check 10-15 boxes during registration that "yes, I know, no transfers, no refunds".  Plus there's a day-use fee to get on the property, for anyone who wants to get on the property.  Should be fun, except for the getting up at 3:30 am to get there for a 6 am start.  It's that or car camp overnight...eh, not sure which is worse.
Good luck, and enjoy the trail.

I’m volunteering this week at Jackalope Jam it’s a timed, 72, 48, 24, 12 and 6 hr race on a 1.5 mile loop. I’ve got friends running in most times. F’n cold last night and colder tonight. Low 30s.

It also has a day use fee but I don’t have to pay since I’m volunteering. Working 4-midnights got shifts Thursday and Friday. The 2 shifts will pay for my 100k in September.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2020, 05:46:59 AM »
Good luck at that trail run @mm1970 -- sounds super fun.

I just found a nice trail race for myself in April.  Trying to choose between the 8k and 15k distances.  Judging by last year's results this trail looks to be seriously steep.  Booyah mountain running!  I've been running steadily the last few years but the last race I did (20k trail) was 5 years ago.  It's time to get back into it.  Let's do this people!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2020, 10:15:47 PM »
I feel like I've been trying to get back into running ever since I injured my ankle getting bucked of a horse 3.5 years ago.  It really took almost 3 years for the ankle injury to fully resolve.  In the meantime, I've intermittently tried to get my running mojo back with limited success. 

Well tonight, I went out for a 5K and felt like I'm back!  I finally ran a <10 minute mile (on a gentle uphill), and had that great feeling of actually running, not just struggling along.  Still taking walk breaks every .5-1 mile, but I think I should be able to cut those out within a few weeks.  General goal is a <28 minute 5K, or getting my 5.25 mile route done in under an hour without killing myself. 

I'm only running 2x a week due to 2 other workouts a week plus going to the barn 6-7 days a week.  And that work thingy.

So anyway, my goals are pretty modest, but I felt like it was time to join this thread and keep the momentum going.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2020, 04:18:33 AM »
It's been a pretty good weekend. I'm a little more than halfway through my marathon training program (5 weeks to go now), and have run 152km in the past three weeks, with a 25km run this morning which went really well.

Without doing much in the way of speedwork at all as part of the training, I managed to run my fastest ever 5k time yesterday too - first time under 22 minutes @ 21:55.

Next weekend I need to get a 30k done and then a couple of 32-35's in before tapering off. It'll still leave me wondering about whether I can go 42, but it's simply too ridiculous to try and train for over 4 hours - chance of injury / non-recovery just goes way way up.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2020, 11:39:13 AM »
Next weekend I need to get a 30k done and then a couple of 32-35's in before tapering off. It'll still leave me wondering about whether I can go 42

If you can do a 30 and a 32k in training and then taper, you'll be fine. It's healthy to have a bit of nerves and doubt when you're at the start of a marathon anyway.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2020, 01:15:38 PM »
Next weekend I need to get a 30k done and then a couple of 32-35's in before tapering off. It'll still leave me wondering about whether I can go 42

If you can do a 30 and a 32k in training and then taper, you'll be fine. It's healthy to have a bit of nerves and doubt when you're at the start of a marathon anyway.

No that's precisely the problem - I did a 30 and 32 before my last marathons. I then hit "the wall" hard at 30k both times.

Granted my weekly milage wasn't that great (30-40k) back then, it's now a consistent 50-55 and I feel like that is a huge difference.

The legs have recovered well after the 25. Last year, from a Sunday long run, It would take me until Wednesday to feel like I could take my next run. I reckon I could go today (Monday), but I'll take the rest day as per the training schedule.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2020, 01:59:47 PM »
Granted my weekly milage wasn't that great (30-40k) back then, it's now a consistent 50-55 and I feel like that is a huge difference.

Yes, 30-40k weekly isn't really enough to run a marathon.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »
Tried joining this running thread in 2019 but never really got it going, so here we go again!

I've chosen my Half Marathon - May 30  ...just about 90 days so I gotta get moving!

I've had a goal for years of breaking 2 hours and this year I'm determined to FINALLY do it; hopefully by my 40th B-day in Early October.

Question for the group - Anyone have experience with the thick/tall shoes like the Hoka one ones?  Curious if they may help my knee pain being a heavier runner (around 230 pounds now, like to get down around 215 by Race day)

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2020, 02:23:15 AM »
Good luck with the half-marathon training!
Achieving a sub-2 hour goal within 90 days should be do-able if you're already in generally good shape.

I have a pair of HOKA One Ones - they're a bit too bulky for me. But I have heard of many who love them, including someone with knee issues.

Losing a bit of weight is always a good idea for runners, it really helps.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2020, 02:31:49 AM »
I do most of my running currently in Hoka trail shoes. They do provide a lot of padding and I've not had any injury problems while wearing them, but I find them too heavy and clunky and will switch back to something lighter when I next buy trail shoes.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2020, 08:31:31 PM »
Good luck with the half-marathon training!
Achieving a sub-2 hour goal within 90 days should be do-able if you're already in generally good shape.

Thanks! I'm in ok shape - Biking, construction work, some weight training and Misc. stuff but been a while since I've really ran. We'll see how quick I can ramp up!

Losing a bit of weight is always a good idea for runners, it really helps.

Yeah I def think it would help, and I feel better at a lower weight. Running has helped me some to lose weight in the past...but also leaves me craving sugar/carbs so have to strike a balance.

I have a pair of HOKA One Ones - they're a bit too bulky for me. But I have heard of many who love them, including someone with knee issues.

I do most of my running currently in Hoka trail shoes. They do provide a lot of padding and I've not had any injury problems while wearing them, but I find them too heavy and clunky and will switch back to something lighter when I next buy trail shoes.

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

I spend most of my time in heavy/bulky construction boots so maybe the clunkiness won't bother me as much? Of course I'm not running in them :D

But even a little clunkiness I'd take over the knee pain I got on my last few attempts to get running again. I need to really work up slowly with my mileage too.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2020, 04:48:31 AM »
My goals are very modest. I am a little overweight and it seems that I am on the verge of diabetes. With the nice weather, I have started to walk my kids to and from school, and then I have been jogging on the way back. It feels good!

My goals for March are:
1. keep running 3x a week (which means planning better the night before so we are ready for school 15 minutes earlier )

2. Add an extra block to my run back home after dropping off kids

You folks are inspirational!

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2020, 06:42:11 AM »
Poundwise, that sounds like an excellent plan! I started slowly too, and gradually built up my mileage.
I like that you have integrated running in your daily routine, that is the best strategy.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2020, 04:35:38 PM »
Two running milestones for me this week.

On Sunday I ran 12k, my first time running more than 11k in a year.

And today I ran my fastest 5k of the year and second-best parkrun time ever.

@marty998 is a sassy but supportive running buddy and coach. :D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2020, 04:39:06 PM »
I'm not that great. My wisdom extends to "can't you just run faster?" or the more obvious "move your legs faster" hehehe.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2020, 12:08:06 PM »
I've been experimenting with Galloway run/walk method in an attempt to control my heart rate better. 

Eh...it's helping.  I am not able to keep my heart rate low enough on long runs to be "low", but it's mostly below my max. 
I have been using the 30/30 (30 s run/ 30 s walk), with occasional 15/15.  There's a direct correlation between pace and HR, for sure.

I ran 6.6 miles this weekend.  I love the 30/30 - I feel much better during the long runs, heart rate wise, but my hips were still tiring quite a bit at 5.5 miles.

Upcoming races:
3/28: 10k
5/16: 10 mile trail run

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2020, 01:22:41 PM »
I've been experimenting with Galloway run/walk method in an attempt to control my heart rate better. 

Eh...it's helping.  I am not able to keep my heart rate low enough on long runs to be "low", but it's mostly below my max. 
I have been using the 30/30 (30 s run/ 30 s walk), with occasional 15/15.  There's a direct correlation between pace and HR, for sure.

I ran 6.6 miles this weekend.  I love the 30/30 - I feel much better during the long runs, heart rate wise, but my hips were still tiring quite a bit at 5.5 miles.

Upcoming races:

Way to go on the heart rate training! I’ve been researching the 80/20 training method for a long time (which 80% of the runs are at around 70% max heart rate). In the research and articles I had read, they mentioned that a lot of people may end up walking a lot to keep their heart rate within range. My Sunday long runs (around 10 miles) are a very focused heart rate type of run. I’m usually about 9.5-10 mins per mile to keep my heart rate around 145-ish.

Temperature makes a huge impact as well!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
I have technically been participating since last year. I cut back my running for about 6 months to let my Achilles tendons heal.

In February I started doing 1X per week of my 1.75mile each way trip to work. As of this week I am doing it 2X per week. I ran both Friday and today and as of now everything feels fine. In April I will take it up to 3X per week, then 4X per week in May, and from there the sky is the limit (well, given the limits of my commute). Finally.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2020, 07:56:32 AM »
My achilles has been my achilles as well. I've been running once a week (averaging about five miles), and am jumping into my first race in five years on Sunday. Hoping to beat 50 minutes in my 10k (the glory days are long past).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2020, 10:18:46 AM »

Upcoming races:

Way to go on the heart rate training! I’ve been researching the 80/20 training method for a long time (which 80% of the runs are at around 70% max heart rate). In the research and articles I had read, they mentioned that a lot of people may end up walking a lot to keep their heart rate within range. My Sunday long runs (around 10 miles) are a very focused heart rate type of run. I’m usually about 9.5-10 mins per mile to keep my heart rate around 145-ish.

Temperature makes a huge impact as well!
It is really frustrating to try and hit it.  My max HR should be 170 based on age, but is usually far higher.

If I walk, my HR averages 115 (straight up walking with my bestie).
With 30/30, my averages were 151 & 159 (average pace 15 sec/mile faster on the higher one).

To try and hit 135-140 is going to be hard.   I'll have to try either slowing down my run pace or shortening the run sections.  It's going to have to be > 13:00 I think.  Ugh.

I ran the mile today at track and it was disappointing.  I was about 20 sec slower than what I was hoping for, but it was super windy.  I should have known it wasn't going to happen because I'm NOT in the same shape I was last time I ran that mile pace.  I can always hope.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2020, 11:25:37 AM »
Poundwise, that sounds like an excellent plan! I started slowly too, and gradually built up my mileage.
I like that you have integrated running in your daily routine, that is the best strategy.

Thank you!  I have been ill for the past week but will hopefully pick up again next week, as the weather has been gorgeous.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2020, 11:34:50 AM »
I'm supposed to run the NYC Half this weekend. There has been radio silence from the organizers despite increasing coronavirus cases in NYC and NY State, a state of emergency, and messaging not to gather in large crowds. I suspect it will end up getting canceled at the last minute, but who knows. From a public health standpoint, they should probably cancel, but I'm sure they don't want to lose all the money.

I also have a cold (99.9% sure it's not the coronavirus based on the symptoms and lack of known exposure). I'm hoping that if the race is on, I'm better by Sunday. I signed up for this race on a whim, and really don't want to defer until next year. I did the training and now I just want to do it and be done with it.

I almost hope the race gets canceled so I don't have to make a decision. But in general I hate all this uncertainty, especially for my first (and planning it to be my only) big race.

If the race goes on and I don't feel better by then, any tips for running with a cold? It's basically all nasal congestion/runny nose, with minor coughing from post nasal drip. I usually take advil before long runs anyway to prevent a post-run headache, and I will of course plan to be well hydrated in the days leading up to the run. Anything else I should do?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2020, 12:12:27 PM »
I'm supposed to run the NYC Half this weekend. There has been radio silence from the organizers despite increasing coronavirus cases in NYC and NY State, a state of emergency, and messaging not to gather in large crowds. I suspect it will end up getting canceled at the last minute, but who knows. From a public health standpoint, they should probably cancel, but I'm sure they don't want to lose all the money.

I also have a cold (99.9% sure it's not the coronavirus based on the symptoms and lack of known exposure). I'm hoping that if the race is on, I'm better by Sunday. I signed up for this race on a whim, and really don't want to defer until next year. I did the training and now I just want to do it and be done with it.

I almost hope the race gets canceled so I don't have to make a decision. But in general I hate all this uncertainty, especially for my first (and planning it to be my only) big race.

If the race goes on and I don't feel better by then, any tips for running with a cold? It's basically all nasal congestion/runny nose, with minor coughing from post nasal drip. I usually take advil before long runs anyway to prevent a post-run headache, and I will of course plan to be well hydrated in the days leading up to the run. Anything else I should do?
Take breaks, keep an eye on your heart rate.  I ran my 8.2 mile race with a raging cold, and I had to walk a LOT.  My overall pace was about 1.5 - 2 min/ mile off what it would have been had I been healthy.

YMMV, but when I'm sick I have more difficultly controlling my HR. 

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2020, 04:25:53 PM »
Thanks for the tips @mm1970 !

Turns out after my post this morning, the powers that be did indeed cancel the race. Definitely the correct decision.

When I heard the news, I impulsively signed up for another smaller half marathon in mid-April so my training won't go to waste. Definitely non-Mustachian to pay for another race, but oh well. (If I want to run the NYC half next year, which I do, I have to forfeit this year's fee and pay again next year. Highway robbery! They have insurance for this.)

Silver lining: hopefully I will be fully healthy for that race, and now I'll have a practice one under the belt before next year's NYC half.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »
As expected, my 10k in 2 weeks has been canceled, no refunds.  I was probably not going to go anyway (it's just outside Los Angeles).

I can run a 10k in my 'hood.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »
I usually take advil before long runs anyway to prevent a post-run headache

Why would you get headaches post run? This is not normal... have you seen a doctor about it?

Ibuprofen I can understand for pain (cramps, muscle soreness etc), but headaches after exercising are worth getting checked out.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2020, 05:22:29 PM »
I usually take advil before long runs anyway to prevent a post-run headache

Why would you get headaches post run? This is not normal... have you seen a doctor about it?

Ibuprofen I can understand for pain (cramps, muscle soreness etc), but headaches after exercising are worth getting checked out.

Post run headaches are very common:

https://www.healthline.com/health/headache-after-running#poor-form

I get them frequently:
- long runs
- hard runs
- hot runs

I hydrate and electrolyte like crazy too.

Make it a long hot run and I'm toast.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2020, 08:30:30 PM »
I am not a regular runner - I built up to this half marathon from nothing. I think the headaches are just because I'm not in great shape and I'm actually exerting myself, since hydration doesn't seem to make a difference. It only happens on my long runs. And for all I know, I've trained enough that it's okay now. I haven't tried not taking the advil because I don't want to risk the headache.

Picked up my medal for the canceled race today. I figure I somewhat earned it from all the miles I ran in training. I never fathomed I could run the quantity I did before I started. Soon I'll run the 13.1 all at once and earn the chance to wear it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »
Well my upcoming Sat race is canceled, (10k), but I signed up for a virtual training plan with my (local) running coach.  For a race that is probably also going to be canceled.  Anyway, on the docket for this week:

Tues: track Tuesday.  The track is closed.  I discovered that one full block loop is half mile.  So I did my 400's there, by doing 5 loops.  10x400 with 90 s rest in between.  They were 8:08 to 8:57.  I was going to do 12, but my legs were toast. One half of the loop  is a slight uphill, other half slight downhill with speed bumps.  So  there was variation.

Thurs: virtual 5k

Saturday: 6 miles.  I'll probably turn it into my 10k that was canceled.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
So over the last 20 months or so since I’ve started running, I deal with occasional foot, shin, and hip pain. Usually nothing insanely bad, but unfortunately bad enough that I’d typically take some ibuprofen to ensure a pain free run. I have been unable to get above 30 miles a week without running into issues that would make me need to cut back.

I finally buckled down last week and went to a specialist run lab for a full consultation/analysis by a chiropractor that focuses on running, in addition to a full evaluation of my running on a treadmill. They took countless slow motion videos, evaluated, and then emailed me a detailed 15 minute analysis and a 14 page pdf. It was honestly the best $170 I have spent on fitness.

What I thought were shin splints, she immediately diagnosed through a series of evaluations, were actually major muscle tightness issues between my calf and tibia. She recommended very hard, regular massage of those areas. I have since been doing exactly that, 1-2x a day, and within a few days the shin pain was 90% gone! I haven’t taken any ibuprofen/Tylenol on my last two runs and had zero shin issues and minimal foot issues!

During the run evaluation, they pointed out a lot of very interesting things I never would have noticed. Such as, sometimes my left leg slightly crosses over my body instead of going straight. This puts excess strain on my foot, knee, hip, etc. It was also identified from the rear that I have a hip drop on just the right side, and need to work on my gluteus medius to help support this (this will also help my left leg crossover). As a whole, about 90% of the running evaluations he said I’m doing perfectly in, but there’s just a few small tweaks that will (and already have) gone a long ways! Excited to continue implementing these things and hopefully can continue progressing in my miles.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2020, 10:41:17 AM »
sometimes my left leg slightly crosses over my body instead of going straight
I had that several years ago.  Learned it when I got major sciatica and had to go to physical therapy.  The therapist watched me run.  'Piriformis!'

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2020, 10:00:48 AM »
5k time trial: 31:05!  That's a HAIR under a 10:00 mile.  Hair.  My last 5k (I don't do them very often) was 31:29 in January, so yay!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2020, 06:40:27 AM »
The bad news is that my trail race at the end of April has been canceled.  The good news is that I'm still running as usual, having a great time.   I'll re-aim for something later in the year. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
The bad news is that my trail race at the end of April has been canceled.  The good news is that I'm still running as usual, having a great time.   I'll re-aim for something later in the year.
I expect to find my last remaining race to also be canceled.  My 10k was to be tomorrow, so I'll just run 10k for fun.  Not for time.

There's a FB live tonight about my last race, a trail race.  If also canceled or postponed, I've already adjusted my training plan (that caps out at 11.5 miles) to something less aggressive, because: why.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2020, 05:25:23 AM »
Yesterday on my run I came across a raccoon I think was rabid.  :(  It was staggering, making rasping noises, and had huge amounts of foamy drool coming out of its mouth. 

I've spent a lot of time in the woods and I've seen some sick animals before, but nothing quite like this.  Poor thing.  According to the CDC website, rabies has actually been decreasing a lot in raccoons since the 1990s, but it's still around.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
sometimes my left leg slightly crosses over my body instead of going straight
I had that several years ago.  Learned it when I got major sciatica and had to go to physical therapy.  The therapist watched me run.  'Piriformis!'

Yep! I’d been researching for close to a year and came to many different conclusions. The most recent conclusion was the piriformis, which is the same conclusion she came to without me ever mentioning.

Looking at my running calendar today, this month will have me at 100+ miles/month for 5 of the last 6 months! Only reason I missed December was major rest needed due to some half marathon injuries.

The weather is heating up in the gulf coast south. I was planning a half on April 19th but we’ll see. If it’s going to be 75-80 I won’t hit a PR so for me, likely not worth the work of tapering, waking up/traveling, etc. we’ll see.

Today I hit a 1 mile PR (watch indicated) at 6:14. My previous PR was about 6:28. Since I follow an 80/20 running schedule, most my runs are so easy, it’s hard to ever feel like I’m progressing.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2020, 03:21:03 PM »
That's a great PR and what a way to improve!  I sometimes will look through my old "Track Tuesday" times to see what my splits are, so I can see that I'm improving.

I did my virtual 10k today (not racing, just running), through the neighborhood.  I hit some big hills, because that's where I live.  It was fun.

Indeed, my 10 mile trail race in May has been postponed until October.  At least.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2020, 05:16:55 AM »
That's an excellent mile time @use2betrix!  Great job!

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2020, 07:21:46 AM »

The weather is heating up in the gulf coast south. I was planning a half on April 19th but we’ll see. If it’s going to be 75-80 I won’t hit a PR so for me, likely not worth the work of tapering, waking up/traveling, etc. we’ll see.

Do you still have a race that has not been cancelled / postponed?  April 19 doesn’t sound likely to happen, to be honest. 😬😬

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!