Author Topic: 2024 Run for your life thread!!!!  (Read 4878 times)

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
2024 Run for your life thread!!!!
« on: November 20, 2023, 10:34:32 AM »
Hello everyone, it's been a while since we had an active running thread and thought I'd try to remedy that :)

We had a few years with folks sharing their long runs, questions, shoe reccs, races, etc. with COVID shutting races down and the Forum seeing less traffic in General it's been quiet.

I'll start:

43 year old male solidly in the "Clydesdale" category ie not a typical runners build. 6' 2" 240 pounds. I've ran 6-7 half marathons in the past and many 5k/10ks. A long time goal of mine was to break 2 hours for a half coming close twice (2:03 in Vegas, 2:05 in Virginia) but those were in my mid 30's.

Most recent half was Vegas in February of 2022 with a time of 2:20 so guessing my window to break 2 hours has closed barring a miracle or some training I haven't thought of

Anyway, signed up today for The Washington DC rock and roll half St. Paddy's day weekend of 2024 and thought I'd do some posts here for fun/ comradery/ accountability!!!

Anyone else have a race on the Horizon for 2024?

PlanetDee

• Stubble
Re: 2024 Run for your life thread!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 07:38:16 AM »
I am TRYING to commit to my first half marathon in 2024. But cold weather always deters me from training. The race I want to sign up for is in May so maybe all you fine folks can help me stay accountable.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 08:19:44 AM »
Anyway, signed up today for The Washington DC rock and roll half St. Paddy's day weekend of 2024 and thought I'd do some posts here for fun/ comradery/ accountability!!!

The DC Rock 'n Roll Half was my first half-marathon (it was on Pi day)!  It was a fun one (I've mostly forgotten about the rain, which was really only an issue at the end when I was trying to watch the band).  Good post-race snacks.  Kill Hill was a little disheartening - I tried "running" up it, while people were walking up the hill past me...

I haven't run a half since before COVID (I was not interested in doing virtual races).  I'm not sure if my knees and hips would be happy with that distance any more, but I found a local half in November that I might consider for 2024.  It's all downhill, which is kind of terrifying.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 10:45:34 AM »
I am TRYING to commit to my first half marathon in 2024. But cold weather always deters me from training. The race I want to sign up for is in May so maybe all you fine folks can help me stay accountable.

The dark gets me even more then the cold this time of year. Dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home....makes it a little rough besides weekends.

I usually stay pretty warm running, biking is harder with the wind chilling you.

Best of luck, thanks for joining thread!!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 10:48:29 AM »

The DC Rock 'n Roll Half was my first half-marathon (it was on Pi day)!  It was a fun one (I've mostly forgotten about the rain, which was really only an issue at the end when I was trying to watch the band).  Good post-race snacks.  Kill Hill was a little disheartening - I tried "running" up it, while people were walking up the hill past me...

I haven't run a half since before COVID (I was not interested in doing virtual races).  I'm not sure if my knees and hips would be happy with that distance any more, but I found a local half in November that I might consider for 2024.  It's all downhill, which is kind of terrifying.

Despite living only 30 minutes north of DC I've never done the race. Time to remedy!! Last 3 I ran we're all Vegas which is dead flat.... definitely need some hill work.

I was shocked how much my hips bothered me last time, never had that before. Knees I've dealt with a while. Going try to ramp up slowly.

I can't imagine running all downhill being to friendly on the knees! Depending on how steep or course.

MinouMinou

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 09:53:27 PM »
I’ll join. I’ve been wanting to get back into running. It does wonders for my mood and overall health. Fellow Clydesdale here; I’m a plodder but when in shape for them, enjoy the long runs.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 10:52:36 PM »
I just signed up for my first ever "race" earlier today! Well, it is more of an event - does that count?

It is a 12-hour event, trail-running, as many 5 km (3.1 mile) loops as we can pull off in the 12 hours - we are a 3-person team. It is the May long weekend in the Canadian Rockies, and almost always rains (and could even snow.) Should be a whole lot of type II fun!

Also, I am more of a jogger than a runner. How do I transition to picking up the pace when I am pretty used to plodding along? :D

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 05:50:49 AM »

Also, I am more of a jogger than a runner. How do I transition to picking up the pace when I am pretty used to plodding along? :D

Start doing intervals. Go to a track and run a lap “a bit faster”. Walk a lap. Repeat four times. Do it once a week for six weeks. Report back.

Seriously, start slowly adding a few faster intervals. Go easy, your body needs adaptation time.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 05:26:03 PM »
I run when I have something to train for, but otherwise only run during the treadmill block at Orange Theory (between 20-30 minutes, depending on class format). I'd like to be more consistent in 2024 & keep up my running throughout the year.

-Napa Half Marathon in March. Doing this with my mom (she's 72, first 1/2) & my sister.
-Hood to Coast relay. I did this year (and, 10 years before that) & it kicked my a** this year, because I had COVID (and, didn't know it, thought it was just a cold.) I'm looking for redemption in 2024.

I really struggle with running when I'm jet lagged, and unfortunately, had six international trips in 2023. I'm hoping for fewer in 2024.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 07:06:10 PM »
Dunno if this is the right place for it but I’d like to sign up for something slightly different. Have done triathlons in the past. Also various running distances, and I do love trail marathons/half marathons. The thing about the triathlon is that the swimming training takes a lot of planning and I’m not particularly good at it, though someday would like to get better.

Options:

—trail marathon or half near me
—same, but someplace far away
—road race far away (half marathon or much shorter, otherwise I will injure myself)
—some kind of adventure race
—supported (maybe) bike tour
—some kind of distance water sport (I know I said I didn’t want to do swimming, but maybe open water)

Anyway I have to keep things novel, as it’s hard for me to repeat an event, motivation-wise.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 07:42:36 PM »
Dunno if this is the right place for it but I’d like to sign up for something slightly different. Have done triathlons in the past. Also various running distances, and I do love trail marathons/half marathons. The thing about the triathlon is that the swimming training takes a lot of planning and I’m not particularly good at it, though someday would like to get better.

Options:

—trail marathon or half near me
—same, but someplace far away
—road race far away (half marathon or much shorter, otherwise I will injure myself)
—some kind of adventure race
—supported (maybe) bike tour
—some kind of distance water sport (I know I said I didn’t want to do swimming, but maybe open water)

Anyway I have to keep things novel, as it’s hard for me to repeat an event, motivation-wise.

You could come do this one: https://www.goldenultra.com/  We have space in our house or you could camp in our yard :D

I did Stage 1 a few years ago just for shits & giggles (back when you could register for it as a single event.) 3 miles and 3500 ft to the top!

Start doing intervals. Go to a track and run a lap “a bit faster”. Walk a lap. Repeat four times. Do it once a week for six weeks. Report back.

Seriously, start slowly adding a few faster intervals. Go easy, your body needs adaptation time.

Thanks. I will try to start adding some "bursts" into my jogs...and if I can find a track, I will follow your instructions!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 06:44:58 AM »

Thanks. I will try to start adding some "bursts" into my jogs...and if I can find a track, I will follow your instructions!

Yes! Tossing in some bursts is great. That’s the idea behind Fartleks, which have endless variations. Just ease into it, the last thing you need is a lower leg injury.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 12:19:09 PM »

That sounds like a fun event - I'm glad you're taking the plunge. As ATtiny85 says, you need to get your body used to running a bit faster and intervals are a good way to do it and once per week is ideal. There are some pretty good pace calculators that can tell you what interval times you should train at for different distances based on goals. So if your goal is X in 10km then it will spit out 400m, 800m, 1600m times and repeats to aim for.

Not everyone is very into structured programs - I can't say I really was or am, but there's no denying that they work and can get you to levels that are very hard to achieve by just going out and running. Mostly I do just go out running unless I'm working towards something. A less structure way to build some speed is to just build some intervals into your regular runs. Pick up the pace for 30 seconds and then drop back to your regular pace for 60 seconds and repeat a few times.

ETA: I should have read the rest of the replies as it was all pretty much covered...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 12:21:51 PM by Chaplin »

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 12:40:58 PM »
Good timing on this thread LWTG! After quite a few years of barely running at all I've decided to at least build up a base and then see if some goal or event calls out to me.

Way back in my teens and twenties I ran a lot of 10k and half-marathons, as well as a bunch of triathlons. A 20+ year obsession with rock climbing and mountaineering just had me running casually for fitness, but when parenthood made full days in the mountains less appealing I started running regularly again as it was easier to work into the schedule. I decided that even though I had run a lot I had never done a marathon so I made that my goal and did the Vancouver marathon in 2012. It was fun enough that I signed up to do it again in 2013.

The training wasn't as hard as the scheduling to fit the training in to a daycare and work schedule, so after 2013 I was a bit burned out, mentally more than physically so I didn't plan to do another for a year or two, but on a whim I threw my name in for the New York marathon lottery (1 in 10 chance I believe it was at the time) and got in - crap, I had to train after all. But doing the NY marathon was major life highlight - I went on my own and loved every minute of that trip.

The last big race I did was a trail "ultra" marathon (ultra simply meaning more than) 2016. It was listed at 50km (marathon is 42.2), but my GPS and my time both made me think it was shorter, like 48km. It was still amazing, and despite big elevation gain it was easier on my body than a road marathon thanks to the variety in the terrain which spreads the work to wider variety of muscles. I was living in North Vancouver at the time which is amazing for trail running so my training was ideal.

Now, having turned 50 this year I'm curious about what I still have in the tank. Since 2016 I've pretty much just ridden bikes, initially just a lot of mountain biking, but since moving to Victoria I still ride the MTB but have added more urban riding as I'm moving to reduce my car use as much as possible. For 2023 so far I'm at 4800km on the bike. Despite that, starting running a few weeks ago it was obvious that there are some differences in the muscles used. I'm now over that hump, but still just keeping the distances down around 5km per run as I know I'm prone to cranking the dial to 11 too soon.

So cheers to the 2024 running thread crew! Let's share some motivation and inspiration and enjoy wherever the roads or trails take us.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 07:06:44 AM »
Glad to see we're getting some participation :) Welcome everyone, I'll try to get some responses in later.

Got my first run in a long time in over the Tgiving weekend, 2.5 miles mix of jogging/running. Some shin splits/tight knee's/hips but nothing that really lasted over 24 hours.  Hope to get another today or tomm.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2023, 06:00:30 PM »
Woohoo! Glad to see this thread for 2024. I think I started the first “Run for your life” thread around 2019/2020? I tried searching to reminisce, but came up empty handed.

@Longwaytogo and others feeling “past their prime” in terms of hitting their goals, if you’re in your 40’s/early 50’s especially, unless you were some high level elite runner/trainer in your 20’s/30’s, you can totally hit your very reasonable goals if you’re willing to work hard enough for it.

Unlike some sports (particularly those that involve heavily around muscle mass), the decline in performance for endurance activities is incredibly gradual past your 30’s. In fact, arguably the best marathoner in the world right now, Eliud Kipchoge, is 39 years old. Best female ultra marathoner, Courtney Dewaulter, is 38. The recent winner of Big Dog’s Backyard Ultra (running 450 miles to win), is 47 years old.

Back to @Longwaytogo - if you want to hit 2 hours, and you were that close in your 30’s, I think it’s still within reach if you want to work hard enough for it. What was your weight when you were so close? At 6’2 & 240 lbs, you could definitely shed some lbs for immediate increase in performance. The rest of it is getting more miles in, and have them being quality miles. I would highly suggest reading, “Run Like a Pro, Even if You’re Slow.” I’ve listened to and read tons and tons of books on running over the years, and that is an accumulation of what I would consider the best perspectives I have read. I’m a firm believer in the 80/20 method. It roughly means: 80% of your miles should be around Zone 2/75% max heart rate/the pace you can run to barely hold a conversation if needed. 20% of your miles consist of quality speed work. Could be 1 mile repeats, 800m repeats, 400m repeats, etc. All sorts of speed workouts to get your mileage. Each week, do not increase mileage by more than 10%, and have a “cutback” week every 3-4 weeks.

I haven’t entirely defined my goals yet for 2024. In summer 2022 I completely tore my hamstring waterskiing and spent all winter rehabbing. It was going great until I developed hip pain this summer, and learned I have a labral tear. I had hip surgery this month and will again spend this winter rehabbing, released to start running February 1st. Once my pain from running became unbearable late this summer, I really picked up biking, both gravel biking and mountain biking. I plan to incorporate a lot of biking this spring/summer and plan on both biking & running races later in the year.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2023, 09:03:46 PM »
@Longwaytogo and others feeling “past their prime” in terms of hitting their goals, if you’re in your 40’s/early 50’s especially, unless you were some high level elite runner/trainer in your 20’s/30’s, you can totally hit your very reasonable goals if you’re willing to work hard enough for it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I definitely don't feel far past my prime - I'm stronger on a bike than I have ever been. I do have this lingering thought that maybe my 50-year-old self who knows a lot more about training might be able to beat the 10K PR that I set when I was 19 and didn't really train properly. Thirty-one years is a big gap though.

This latent goal, or at least idea that it might be a goal, has made me plan this "return to running" a bit differently than previous times I've picked it up again. I've usually tried to be careful to follow the advice not to increase both distance and speed at the same time. In the past I've usually just added distance and not speed, except when I did a proper marathon plan which included speed work. This time I'm going to try to hold the distance at 5 to 7km while boosting the speed gradually. Maybe I'll even sign up for a 5k race which I don't think I've ever done. Then, I'll start stretching the distance to 10 to 13km and focus on the 10K speed for a while. At that point I should have a reasonable base and be able to decide if the 10K PR goal is appealing or if I want to bump the distance a bit more.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2023, 09:13:15 PM »
Dunno where I saw it (probably YouTube) but this guy in his 60s hired a coach and started setting masters records. He’s really fast and it’s just a matter of for the first time in his life doing optimal training.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2023, 09:23:19 PM »
Dunno where I saw it (probably YouTube) but this guy in his 60s hired a coach and started setting masters records. He’s really fast and it’s just a matter of for the first time in his life doing optimal training.

I was pretty stunned by how much better the results of following a program were than just going out running. It wasn't as much fun of course, but if your goal is to do a particular race in a particular time (within reason) training science has a recipe that has a good chance of getting you there. The wild thing about marathon training is that you build your program around a particular goal time and that almost sets your best possible time. You can't decide to be 10 minutes faster than your goal on race day - you'll blow up. But if you had set your goal 10 minutes faster four months earlier, when you built your program, you have a reasonable chance of achieving it. In half-marathons, 10k, and 5k races you have more leeway to pick up the pace a bit if you're feeling good, but still not massively.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2023, 05:07:49 AM »
Woohoo! Glad to see this thread for 2024. I think I started the first “Run for your life” thread around 2019/2020? I tried searching to reminisce, but came up empty handed.

I extracted a couple of those earlier this year trying to get traction on a thread. Glad we have some participation now.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/run-for-your-lives!-the-2023ish-runners-thread/msg3162150/#msg3162150

Rather than bumping up the old threads

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/run-for-your-lives!-the-2021-runners-thread/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/on-your-mark-get-set-2020-runners-thread/

« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 05:14:04 AM by ATtiny85 »

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2023, 05:21:36 AM »

I was pretty stunned by how much better the results of following a program were than just going out running. It wasn't as much fun of course, but if your goal is to do a particular race in a particular time (within reason) training science has a recipe that has a good chance of getting you there. The wild thing about marathon training is that you build your program around a particular goal time and that almost sets your best possible time. You can't decide to be 10 minutes faster than your goal on race day - you'll blow up. But if you had set your goal 10 minutes faster four months earlier, when you built your program, you have a reasonable chance of achieving it. In half-marathons, 10k, and 5k races you have more leeway to pick up the pace a bit if you're feeling good, but still not massively.

It's the possibility of blowing up in the marathon that makes it a huge draw for me. Understanding what your training results mean on race day, how you feel that day, and so on. It makes it quite the challenge. I think one of my best marathons, not time, just experience, was one where I basically paced around the start line hopping between two different pace groups. I had a couple training disruptions so I was being very thoughtful. Ended up choosing (guessing?) correctly and finished strong and on target. I have also made the incorrect choice a couple times as well. Long slogs from mile 18. The mental aspect throughout is very satisfying to me.

I keep very basic records from year to year and spend a lot of recovery time staring at them.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2023, 06:00:54 AM »

@Longwaytogo and others feeling “past their prime” in terms of hitting their goals, if you’re in your 40’s/early 50’s especially, unless you were some high level elite runner/trainer in your 20’s/30’s,

you can totally hit your very reasonable goals if you’re willing to work hard enough for it.

hey man, Welcome back! Glad you found it and thanks for starting the other.

I guess the biggest thing that makes me feel my age is my knee's, they KILL me sometimes, they've been sore this week form one run :( Don't know what percentage is age, poor form, increasing miles too quickly, etc. Some of each I guess.

That would be amazing, guess we'll see if I can put in the time/commitment/hard work.  Going to try!!

Back to @Longwaytogo - if you want to hit 2 hours, and you were that close in your 30’s, I think it’s still within reach if you want to work hard enough for it. What was your weight when you were so close? At 6’2 & 240 lbs, you could definitely shed some lbs for immediate increase in performance.

The rest of it is getting more miles in, and have them being quality miles. I would highly suggest reading, “Run Like a Pro, Even if You’re Slow.” I’ve listened to and read tons and tons of books on running over the years, and that is an accumulation of what I would consider the best perspectives I have read. I’m a firm believer in the 80/20 method. It roughly means: 80% of your miles should be around Zone 2/75% max heart rate/the pace you can run to barely hold a conversation if needed. 20% of your miles consist of quality speed work. Could be 1 mile repeats, 800m repeats, 400m repeats, etc. All sorts of speed workouts to get your mileage. Each week, do not increase mileage by more than 10%, and have a “cutback” week every 3-4 weeks.

For my fastest races I was in the 210 lb range, which would be great to get back to or at least 215-ish. After the new year going to reluctantly probably do low carb again...seems to be only thing that really works for me.

Might look into the book. I've def been doing a higher percentage of runs at an easier conversational pace, will have to try and get that ramped up. I've historically done little to no speed work so thats soemthing to improve as well.

I haven’t entirely defined my goals yet for 2024. In summer 2022 I completely tore my hamstring waterskiing and spent all winter rehabbing. It was going great until I developed hip pain this summer, and learned I have a labral tear. I had hip surgery this month and will again spend this winter rehabbing, released to start running February 1st. Once my pain from running became unbearable late this summer, I really picked up biking, both gravel biking and mountain biking. I plan to incorporate a lot of biking this spring/summer and plan on both biking & running races later in the year.

Dang sorry to hear aboiut the injuries!! Best of luck with the continued rehab.

Mountian biking is one of my favorite activites!!

Brystheguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2023, 08:18:12 AM »
I have a few runs on tap for 2024. I recently did a 50k trail run and plan on doing another one in May that also involves three miles of kayaking. I'm going to sign up for the Twin Cities Marathon and try to break the elusive four-hour mark this year. Why I'm going to try to do that in my 50s, I don't know! I figure now is better than later. I've come close several times but haven't run a marathon for time in several years. I know I should run just to stay in shape but I've found if I don't sign up for something, I tend not to run as consistently. Good luck to all!

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2023, 08:19:30 AM »
There’s a lot of new science about knees! Watch the knees over toes guy on YouTube. A huge issue with knee pain is that the other muscles in your legs are not providing enough support so your joint is taking all of the punishment.

I will look into that book as well! And thank you for the idea and the offer @ToTheMoon!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:55:17 PM by Fru-Gal »

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2023, 06:36:02 AM »
Ah, winter running season has arrived here in the Midwest. It takes me longer to suit up and suit down than it takes to do the actual running some days.

I do like running after it has snowed. At least up to maybe four inches I find it very enjoyable to plod along, breaking trail. I even enjoy when things turn super slick with freeze thaw freeze thaw cycles. Adds an element and takes a lot of concentration. I don't use anything special on my shoes, I just slip and slide my way along.

What are your most valuable clothing items in the winter? For me, it's my neck gaiter. Of course I have stocking hats and gloves, and those are always present. But having my neck covered, with the ability to modulate covering my mouth and nose, makes some runs possible.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2023, 07:18:01 AM »
Hi everyone! Glad to have a new running thread!

I've run 15 half-marathons and a few mud run/obstacle events. Just got into triathlon this year and did two Olympic distance tris. My last race was Sept 30 and I've taken a bit of time off for rest and recovery and am just now getting back to starting a 24-week training program for a 70.3 triathlon scheduled in May 2024. It's always hard for me to get re-started with running after taking a few weeks or a month off, so I'm plodding right now trying to re-build my base. I'm also hitting the Y for swim work and just put my bike on the trainer in the garage for winter.

I was also a guy looking to break 2 hours in a half marathon but never quite got there. Hit 2:04 in the Country Music Half a few years back but seem to have lost motivation to do the work required to break 2:00 at my age (48).

I have also recently become very intrigued by the thought of adventure racing, but it seems so daunting to start acquiring the necessary skills. Despite being a hiker I've never done much orienteering. Never done any trail riding and besides a few beer canoe trips in college, never done much paddling. So I may or may not ever find time to truly do an AR, but I'd love to.

I'm excited to be here and to follow all of your running adventures!

erp

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2023, 07:58:41 AM »
Alright. I'm in - did a nice 9 km yesterday, tentatively planning for two trail runs (~ 15 km ea) and a half next year. Hopefully I'll get the half done around May, but it might end up weather dependent.

The Golden Ultra looks fantastic - I don't know that I have the legs for it without a lot more serious training that I think I can plausibly commit to though

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2023, 05:22:36 PM »
OK, so I took it as a sign when I saw a “run a 5k every day” challenge for the month of December. I’m in good enough shape (I think) where this will not cause injury, so I’m in! 2/2 so far! Of course I will stop if I hurt myself. But years ago I did a 1 mile-a-day running streak for a couple months.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2023, 05:16:20 PM »
I’ve run a 5k/day 4 days in a row, which is a first for me!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2023, 05:40:55 PM »
Alright. I'm in - did a nice 9 km yesterday, tentatively planning for two trail runs (~ 15 km ea) and a half next year. Hopefully I'll get the half done around May, but it might end up weather dependent.

The Golden Ultra looks fantastic - I don't know that I have the legs for it without a lot more serious training that I think I can plausibly commit to though

15k trail races are far and away my favorite event. Short enough to be enjoyable even on an off day, long enough to be worth a little drive to do.

Fru-Gal, great start.

bananas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2023, 06:32:11 PM »
Glad to see this thread; I'm trying to get back into running, too.

On Saturday I went for my first outdoor run since last winter -- did 3 miles in about 30 minutes. I've been doing regular elliptical zone 2 training, and it felt like that translated pretty well into building up some basic endurance (to my surprise and delight).

My hamstrings have been sore AF for the last couple of days, though.

Yesterday I signed up for the Cherry Blossom race 10-miler lottery (the race is in Washington, DC). I've never run in a real race before, but goals are fun, and it would be pretty cool to prove to myself that I can do it.

QueensGambit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2023, 07:17:06 PM »
I'm a relative running newbie, and I'm having so much fun! My first ever race was last month, the Richmond half marathon. I only "trained" for about a month, and I feel like I could do much better with some practice. I already signed up for the same race next year, and moved my projected finish time down to under 2 hours (from 2:27 last month). So it's time to get to work!

If any other FIRE folks will be in Richmond next year (or other Virginia races), maybe we can meet up post-race to celebrate!

Midwest_Handlebar

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2023, 07:31:16 PM »
I'm in. Ran my first official 5k in July '23 and signed up for a 1/2 marathon in early April '24. Trying to run 20 miles a week. Anything more than that and I start to get blisters.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 07:59:19 PM by Midwest_Handlebar »

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2023, 05:45:13 AM »
I'm in. Ran my first official 5k in July '23 and signed up for a 1/2 marathon in early April '24. Trying to run 20 miles a week. Anything more than that and I start to get blisters.

Blisters, where? In general, you should not regularly get blisters just from "a few more miles" of running. What preventive measures have you tried?

I will add that blisters are the one thing that will have me on the side of the road whimpering. I have broken bones, been beaten up, and all sorts of assorted cuts and bruises. No problem, rub some dirt on it and keep going, but put a dime-sized blister on my heel and I am sitting on a curb crying.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2023, 02:31:12 PM »
5k/day for 7 days in a row! Bought new shoes after feeling twinges of IT band annoyance, which is my usual sign to buy new shoes. The dogs are very happy as well.

Midwest_Handlebar

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2023, 05:53:49 PM »

Blisters, where? In general, you should not regularly get blisters just from "a few more miles" of running. What preventive measures have you tried?

I will add that blisters are the one thing that will have me on the side of the road whimpering. I have broken bones, been beaten up, and all sorts of assorted cuts and bruises. No problem, rub some dirt on it and keep going, but put a dime-sized blister on my heel and I am sitting on a curb crying.

The inside of the arch on my right foot. I bought arch supports and more substantial shoes and that has helped with the blisters, but now I'm getting calf pain with the new shoes after 3-4 miles. I'm alternating between the old shoes (very thin sole), and the new shoes (more substantial sole) every workout. I'm relatively new to running so I'm trying to figure it all out, and what does/doesn't work for me.

I would appreciate any advice from the more experienced runners here.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 06:00:39 PM by Midwest_Handlebar »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2023, 06:59:56 PM »

I agree with ATtiny85, you should not be getting blisters, even with longer distances.

Have you tried sizing up the shoes you wear?  Blisters (and apparently calf pain, maybe?) can be caused by too-small shoes.

Did you get a gait analysis at a running store before selecting your shoes?

Probably not the issue - but are your shoes breathable enough?  My XBF had very sweaty feet, and got horrendous blisters from his waterproof hiking boots no matter what mitigation steps he took.  Until I read some obscure comment on the internet and got him to try breathable boots - his feet were so much happier when hiking.  I think running shoes are generally very breathable, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

On a personal running note, I did "speed work" for the first time today.  Something I am very uninterested in, and not sure why I did it today.  It was completely random and probably not long enough intervals to mean anything.  But it kinda felt good.

I'm historically VERY bad at stretching, but I have been consistently putting on a 5-minute Peloton "post-run stretch" workout video after all my runs.  It's dumb, because each one is essentially the same couple of stretches that I know how to do and should and could be doing on my own, but whatever gets me to actually do it...

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2023, 12:35:57 AM »
I am all about the motivational tricks. Sometimes if I’m dragging I’ll put on a “running motivation” video on YouTube, they always get me pumped up.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2023, 06:35:48 AM »

The inside of the arch on my right foot. I bought arch supports and more substantial shoes and that has helped with the blisters, but now I'm getting calf pain with the new shoes after 3-4 miles. I'm alternating between the old shoes (very thin sole), and the new shoes (more substantial sole) every workout. I'm relatively new to running so I'm trying to figure it all out, and what does/doesn't work for me.

As NotJen said, this sounds like small shoes. I know someone who fought blisters as distance increased. Finally read the right article and upsized shoes. Fully solved. Feet often swell while running, creating pinch points that didn’t exist at the start.

Good luck. Maybe try a swipe of Body Glide or Vaseline and loosen the laces a bit before buying yet another pair. There are also lots of lacing techniques to change where pressure is applied, but I know little about them.

Midwest_Handlebar

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2023, 08:24:56 AM »
I think you're right that I need 1/2 size larger running shoes. I feel a bit dumb not knowing this, but this is all new to me. Thanks all!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 08:28:20 AM by Midwest_Handlebar »

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2023, 04:20:38 PM »

Check and see what the “drop” is (heel/toe offset height) between your new and old shoes. That could explain some calf pain.

What type of socks are you wearing? That’d be my first place to look at for blisters. I’ve worn Darn Toughs socks for thousands of miles and have had maybe 2-3 blisters, which were shoe related. They are expensive, but have a lifetime warranty. They keep crazy dry except for the hottest/most humid days, it’s insane.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 09:24:10 AM by use2betrix »

Midwest_Handlebar

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2023, 06:58:02 PM »

Check and see what the “drop” is (heel/toe offset height) between your new and old shoes. That could explain some calf pain.

What type of socks are you wearing? That’d be my first place to look at for blisters. I’ve worn Darn Toughs socks for thousands of miles and have had maybe 2-3 blisters, which were shoe related. They are expensive, but half a lifetime warranty. They keep crazy dry except for the hottest/most humid days, it’s insane.

I checked, the new pair of shoes (the ones causing me calf pain) has more of a drop than the old pair so that makes sense. My socks are shameful. Honestly 1/2 of them have holes in the heels and might be 10 years old. Definitely 90% of them are over 5 years old and these are the ones I deemed "acceptable" after my annual purging. I broke down and bought 2 pair of the ones you recommended. Retirement is too short to run in crappy socks...

Thank you all.... I never said I was smart...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 06:59:49 PM by Midwest_Handlebar »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2023, 12:10:16 PM »
I have a half in just under 12 weeks, and seriously need to get myself sorted. I'm challenged by international work travel (jet lag & running are a hard combo for me, both during the trip & when I come back). I'm trying to be more flexible about my normal rigid am only running schedule, because otherwise, I miss another week of training on the back end, when I'm home & trying to catch up on more sleep. I was moderately successful 2x this week, which is a win.

I'm also trying to get more comfortable with some days being 2 mile run days. It sucks, and isn't what I'd like to do, but running 2 miles on really cramped days is better than running zero miles. They all add up, even if the distance is more sporadic than I'd hoped. 

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2023, 12:36:16 PM »
I have a half in just under 12 weeks, and seriously need to get myself sorted. I'm challenged by international work travel (jet lag & running are a hard combo for me, both during the trip & when I come back). I'm trying to be more flexible about my normal rigid am only running schedule, because otherwise, I miss another week of training on the back end, when I'm home & trying to catch up on more sleep. I was moderately successful 2x this week, which is a win.

I'm also trying to get more comfortable with some days being 2 mile run days. It sucks, and isn't what I'd like to do, but running 2 miles on really cramped days is better than running zero miles. They all add up, even if the distance is more sporadic than I'd hoped.

I've been struggling too and just got back form an international vacation 4 day music festival wrecked my knee's :/

Giving myself the week to recoup and catch up on work/family stuff and then sit down this weekend and outline a PLAN!!!!

2 miles is for sure  better then no miles :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2023, 02:16:28 PM »
@Longwaytogo - I'm a wreck when I'm jet lagged. I really phoned in the workouts while i was in Japan, and now that I'm back, i need to get it together. I had six international trips in 2023, so definitely need a more sustainable option that builds in more flex on jet lagged days.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2023, 06:12:00 PM »
@Longwaytogo - I'm a wreck when I'm jet lagged. I really phoned in the workouts while i was in Japan, and now that I'm back, i need to get it together. I had six international trips in 2023, so definitely need a more sustainable option that builds in more flex on jet lagged days.

I was East coast to East coast - MD to Mexico, so no jet lag excuse......

For me it was the 3-4 hours of sleep a night, unlimited alcohol, and 8+ hours of dancing/concerts on your feet that wrecked me :D

But, work or fun. Hopefully we can both get back on track!!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2023, 06:15:06 AM »
International travel and training, that brings back some bad memories. Definitely tough. I did it for a number of years from Europe to the US Midwest. Fortunately, I was able to dictate where I stayed each trip, about a week a month, so was able to at least establish a routine of routes and so on. Still rough to deal with the jetlag, on both ends. Also annoying during the winter when I had to lug a lot more clothes with me. I'll check an extra bag before I'll commit to five sessions on a hotel treadmill...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2023, 07:32:57 AM »
@Longwaytogo - that sounds a lot more fun than my trip! ;-)

@ATtiny85 - my last trip was 8 days, and I convinced myself not to check a bag & still pack enough workout clothes. I have regrets. Also, the gym situation in some hotels is absolutely abysmal. I used to have more flexibility in where I stayed, but current work budget pressure has really limited that this year.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2023, 06:39:05 PM »
@Longwaytogo - that sounds a lot more fun than my trip! ;-)

Yes it does :D  Being in residential remodeling and my wife teaching, luckily neither of us has to travel for work.

My race is March 16, so barley 3 months. Kicking it into gear this weekend.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2023, 06:48:51 PM »
I traveled to Europe twice this year for work and think I have it mostly sorted. The first time I was in the middle of a 75 hard challenge so in addition to a bunch of other things, I had to work out twice a day for 45 minutes, one of them being outside.

Here’s how I do it:

Friday/Saturday I stay up til 10/11 and get up around 4/5. Sunday I get up at like 3 so I’m super tired. The first trip I did a 5 mile run at 3:15 am then a 1 hour weight lift session at 8 am so I’d be extra tired. I book a 4:30 pm flight so when I arrive in EU, it’s around 7 am. Since I’m super tired, I take a few sleeping pills (within reason lol) right before I board my flight. I then sleep for 6-7 hours on the plane and arrive around 7 am. Wake up, go straight to work and settle into the new time schedule. It’s worked flawlessly both times.

On the way back I do the opposite. Fly out around 11 am in EU, stay awake the whole flight, land around 3 pm, fight it and stay awake til around 8 pm, and fall right back into the new routine!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 06:54:01 PM by use2betrix »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!