Author Topic: Cloud-based accounting software  (Read 12802 times)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Cloud-based accounting software
« on: February 06, 2024, 09:06:05 AM »
I've been using Wave accounting for close to a decade (waveapps.com) - their free accounting is great, and I'm able to keep separate books for both business and personal in the same system - super convenient. However one of the most valuable features for me is the automatic transaction import, and they've moved to a new model where that is going to be in a paid subscription ($170 per year or $16 per month).

Further, the free personal profile also won't have automatic transaction import - so I'd need two subscriptions to do things the way that I currently do - $340 / year.

Are there any free cloud-based accounting systems out there? This cost does to be in-line with pretty much everywhere else I'm finding while searching - $15-30 per business per month on the lowest priced, non-promotional plan, so I'm leaning towards just paying the fee. Do have 4 months according to the email announcing this before they're pushing it onto legacy customers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 09:07:43 AM by dandarc »

bluecollarmusician

• Pencil Stache
  • You call this Fi(re)?
Re: Cloud-based accounting software
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 09:29:53 AM »
Hi @dandarc -

I see you haven't had any responses... too bad!

I came to start a thread asking a similar question; although different.

I have been using Mint (and Personal Capital) for a decade.  I haven't really kept up PC, as Mint seemed to work better for how I used it at the start.  For years I was really good with fixing transactions, etc- and though it wasn't perfect for me, it was good and free.

With Mint shutting down I was hoping to find a better solution that would allow me to import my decade worth of data-

I decided to give Quicken a try; the data import doesn't really seem to work the way that I wanted- but it does a few things that Mint didn't do.

So- Mint is gone, Quicken and Empower both do a couple things well- but not everything.

For me the big win with Quicken is the ability to separate out transactions for my schedule C and E; helping keep personal expenses separate from business expenses.  I think if I was diligent it would make tax time a lot easier.

But Empower seems to totally slay them with investment tracking- especially on the income side.

I am curious if you found something that you are happy with? 

Any luck?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 12:46:05 PM »
Wife and I talked it over and decided we are good with paying if / when the time comes. Got a lot going on and switching over accounting systems needs to be low priority for probably remainder of this year at minimum.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 01:36:03 PM »
I use the free version of Wave, and yeah, it looks like as of March 15, my transactions have stopped uploading automatically. But I'm cheap, so I'm just going to download a csv file of my transactions periodically and upload them manually. (I only go through them in Wave once a month anyway, and it only takes a minute or so, so to me it's worth it not to spend the money.)

FtWorthAtheist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 12:39:41 PM »
I use MoneyDance.  It's not cloud-based, but I can use it on both my personal computer and my Android phone and sync them through a Dropbox account.  It supposedly has a service you can sign up for that imports upon request for an extra monthly fee, but I couldn't get it to work with any of my credit cards.  I download transactions manually as QIF or QBX files and import them into MoneyDance.  It's not free but I paid once and have been using the software ever since for about 5 years and my understanding when I paid is that none of the current functionality will expire.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 03:12:07 PM »
Update: per an email received yesterday, Wave is including the bank connection features in the free legacy plan. Hopefully this means literally no changes for me. Cutover for legacy customers is June 10 per that email

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!