Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 709683 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1550 on: April 10, 2021, 09:43:51 AM »
I always feel emotionally manipulated by "This Is Us".

Yes, but it's good enough that I am willing to overlook that. I really like storytelling that jumps around in time.

IDK, they all just seem so damn self important and childish. I would be able to look past it if they were in their 20s, but if any of them were my siblings, I would be constantly rolling my eyes and telling them to be nicer to Miguel.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1551 on: April 11, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »
I recommend It’s A Sin.

I seriously had to come back to find this post and yell: TALK ABOUT A FUCKING UNDERSELL!

Wow. Hey folks, if you want to feel something, watch this show.
DH and I both loved it. Every character is brilliant, and it will rip your damn heart out, stuff it back in, and then warm it back up with truly heartwarming character dynamics. A review called it "wrenching yet joyful" and I really can't say it better than that.

If you were part of or allied with the gay community in the 80s and 90s, then this show is a really authentic call back to the experience of the AIDS epidemic at the time. If you weren't exposed to it back in the day, then, as another review described it, it's an immersive storytelling, and even more worth watching, IMO.

I could see myself rewatching it. The first run through was so caught up in what was going to happen, I think I would enjoy a second run through with more attention to the individual characters and relationships. It's a fairly big cast.

"La!"
I had high expectations for this but found it merely okay. By covering an array of people over so many years in just 4+ hours, it compressed character development and story line beyond what could get me very emotionally invested in the individuals. HBO's adaptation of And the Band Played On, for instance, does a good job of converting 600 dense pages into a <2.5 hour runtime while even maintaining occasionally impressive elements of emotional poignancy (even if a bit maudlin). Also, I do wish It's a Sin was more ambitious in its design. Angels in America, for example, is something that definitely shot for the moon (though perhaps I simply suffer from an overwrought sense of taste). Where It's a Sin tries to make sense of AIDS and its human toll and what it all means, we have Ritchie say things like "That's what people will forget: that it was so much fun" -- exactly the sort of sex-obsessed hedonism that Larry Kramer railed against in Faggots, but I guess what else could Ritchie say right then?

Loved the music choices in this and wish they would have let some of that breathe a bit more. Oh, and fun fact: apparently the Jill Baxter character is based closely on a friend of Russel Davies's and the real Jill (Jill Nadler) appears as Christine Baxter.

######

Elsewhere in the recommendations above, I found The Fall to be very good or maybe even excellent. The raspy voice problem (not just Stella--Jim Burns was also raspy AF) is one of the reasons I absolutely could not get through Peaky Blinders -- but the attention to detail and pacing of The Fall kept me very engaged in spite of this distraction. Reminded me of some of what was good about Mindhunter (Netflix; canceled after Season 2) that I liked.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1552 on: April 11, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
I recommend It’s A Sin.

I seriously had to come back to find this post and yell: TALK ABOUT A FUCKING UNDERSELL!

DH and I both loved it. Every character is brilliant, and it will rip your damn heart out, stuff it back in, and then warm it back up with truly heartwarming character dynamics. A review called it "wrenching yet joyful" and I really can't say it better than that.

If you were part of or allied with the gay community in the 80s and 90s, then this show is a really authentic call back to the experience of the AIDS epidemic at the time. If you weren't exposed to it back in the day, then, as another review described it, it's an immersive storytelling, and even more worth watching, IMO.

I could see myself rewatching it. The first run through was so caught up in what was going to happen, I think I would enjoy a second run through with more attention to the individual characters and relationships. It's a fairly big cast.

"La!"
I had high expectations for this but found it merely okay. By covering an array of people over so many years in just 4+ hours, it compressed character development and story line beyond what could get me very emotionally invested in the individuals. HBO's adaptation of And the Band Played On, for instance, does a good job of converting 600 dense pages into a <2.5 hour runtime while even maintaining occasionally impressive elements of emotional poignancy (even if a bit maudlin). Also, I do wish It's a Sin was more ambitious in its design. Angels in America, for example, is something that definitely shot for the moon (though perhaps I simply suffer from an overwrought sense of taste). Where It's a Sin tries to make sense of AIDS and its human toll and what it all means, we have Ritchie say things like "That's what people will forget: that it was so much fun" -- exactly the sort of sex-obsessed hedonism that Larry Kramer railed against in Faggots, but I guess what else could Ritchie say right then?

Loved the music choices in this and wish they would have let some of that breathe a bit more. Oh, and fun fact: apparently the Jill Baxter character is based closely on a friend of Russel Davies's and the real Jill (Jill Nadler) appears as Christine Baxter.

######

Elsewhere in the recommendations above, I found The Fall to be very good or maybe even excellent. The raspy voice problem (not just Stella--Jim Burns was also raspy AF) is one of the reasons I absolutely could not get through Peaky Blinders -- but the attention to detail and pacing of The Fall kept me very engaged in spite of this distraction. Reminded me of some of what was good about Mindhunter (Netflix; canceled after Season 2) that I liked.

I actually liked how deeply flawed Ritchie's character is. What I loved about the show was that the focus was the sense of community and support. It's all about the love of your chosen family, even when you are deeply, deeply, humanly flawed, you can still be loved. Ritchie isn't in any way a sympathetic character, he handles everything about as badly as possible.

I loved Angels in America, and it was a hell of a ride, but a totally different tone. I think there's more than enough space for both types of narrative. What I found refreshing was how sweet and joyful It's A Sin was. It made me so nostalgic for my days of living in a crowded apartment with gay men in my early 20s.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:59:26 AM by Malcat »

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1553 on: April 13, 2021, 02:56:58 PM »
finished 'unforgotten'. ended kinda dull.
watching 'hemingway' now.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1554 on: April 15, 2021, 10:18:42 PM »
I recommend It’s A Sin.

"La!"

######

I actually liked how deeply flawed Ritchie's character is. What I loved about the show was that the focus was the sense of community and support. It's all about the love of your chosen family, even when you are deeply, deeply, humanly flawed, you can still be loved. Ritchie isn't in any way a sympathetic character, he handles everything about as badly as possible.

I loved Angels in America, and it was a hell of a ride, but a totally different tone. I think there's more than enough space for both types of narrative. What I found refreshing was how sweet and joyful It's A Sin was. It made me so nostalgic for my days of living in a crowded apartment with gay men in my early 20s.
I get what your'e saying about Ritchie--maybe I just wanted a different perspective from him by the end, but it makes him more realistic the way things went. People are the way they are to their last breath.

To this day, I worry about an angelic Emma Thompson bursting through my ceiling as an angel. That sort of scene can leave scars...

####

And I just started Billions -- saw it on Amazon but it wasn't included free until recently I guess. I want to marry Paul Giamatti and it's interesting to see his character here (alpha male, though with the submissive kink) contrast with his best work ever as a brilliantly pathetic schmuck in Sideways. Billions is decent and watchable so far in season 1.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1555 on: April 16, 2021, 05:40:41 AM »
My wife and I just finished Season 4 of "Insecure," waiting not-so-patiently for Season 5 later this year. IMO, Issa Rae is legit hilarious and I hope she jumps into superstardom. Her timing, facial expressions, it's all just wonderful. She even pulls off the 'very hard to pull off' trope of talking to herself in a few of the show's episodes. I'd highly recommend to anyone with HBO Max, although warning: there is a LOT of language and quite a bit of sex (this may be a plus for many!) The rest of the cast is just as wonderful (love Kelli and Chad, they steal every scene they're in)

We're trying to be intentional about consuming quality content with more diverse casts, something we've been guilty of not doing until recently. In the past year, we've watched Watchmen, Lovecraft Country, and Insecure, all with majority Black casts, and honestly it's some of our favorite content in recent years. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1556 on: April 21, 2021, 07:24:07 PM »
Has Pennyworth been mentioned here before?  I'm watching it via a Prime 'EPIX' introductory membership for 0.99, and it is glorious!  I'm on season 1 episode 5 and can't believe how consistently enjoyable it has been.  Very refreshing, to see a show really take risks.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1557 on: April 21, 2021, 08:21:07 PM »
Just started watching "Wayne", and I completely understand why it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Really fresh dialogue and energy.

It's not the easiest to describe, but it's darkly funny as hell, very casually violent, and the characters are fantastic.
It's about two teenagers on a revenge road trip. The main character is Wayne, who is very messed up, but quite loved by those around him despite being totally out of control.

So far I'm only a few episodes in, but I've laughed A LOT...which is great because I've been stuck in bed for two weeks and need a lot of high quality entertainment.

Thanks for bringing Wayne to my attention. It's terrific! So messed up and funny.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1558 on: April 22, 2021, 06:10:23 AM »
Just started watching "Wayne", and I completely understand why it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Really fresh dialogue and energy.

It's not the easiest to describe, but it's darkly funny as hell, very casually violent, and the characters are fantastic.
It's about two teenagers on a revenge road trip. The main character is Wayne, who is very messed up, but quite loved by those around him despite being totally out of control.

So far I'm only a few episodes in, but I've laughed A LOT...which is great because I've been stuck in bed for two weeks and need a lot of high quality entertainment.

Thanks for bringing Wayne to my attention. It's terrific! So messed up and funny.

I laughed so much. The characters and dialogue are amazing. I'm trying to find something to compare it to, and I just can't.

It's a very violent revenge, buddies on a road trip, heartwarming teen romance?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1559 on: April 25, 2021, 05:53:48 AM »
watched season 1 of goliath. not watching season 2

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1560 on: April 25, 2021, 06:08:04 AM »
We just started watching the new season of “The Flash” (free over-the-air on The CW or online on the CW app) and it’s pretty good. They are doing their absolute best to tell their story with the constrictions placed on them due to COVID. Filming was badly disrupted by the pandemic and they had to alter a lot of their plans/story to accommodate the health restrictions on set. They film in Canada, though, so they are actually able to film, since that country was hit much less severely than the U.S.

I hear that some of the CW shows had halts in production while they were filming. Apparently, there was a COVID outbreak on the set of “Superman and Lois”.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1561 on: April 25, 2021, 06:17:48 AM »

I laughed so much. The characters and dialogue are amazing. I'm trying to find something to compare it to, and I just can't.

It's a very violent revenge, buddies on a road trip, heartwarming teen romance?
This description made me laugh.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1562 on: April 25, 2021, 06:20:15 AM »
I watched some of goliath several years ago and I thought it was dumb.

I highly recommend the Australian series Rake of the same genre. It’s about a down and out attorney who is charming and well, rakish, and has adventures in the courtroom.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:43:33 AM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1563 on: April 25, 2021, 06:50:16 AM »

I highly recommend the Australian series Rake She is of the same genre. It’s about a down and out attorney who is charming and well, rakish, and has adventures in the courtroom.

Australian TV is the best, it really is.
I've been trying to get people to watch Rake for years, people don't know what they're missing.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1564 on: April 25, 2021, 08:54:54 AM »

I highly recommend the Australian series Rake She is of the same genre. It’s about a down and out attorney who is charming and well, rakish, and has adventures in the courtroom.

I've been trying to get people to watch Rake for years, people don't know what they're missing.
Isn’t that lead actor great!?? And the first season where he is so successful in the courtroom is a scream. I won’t be more specific to save the surprises for those who have not seen it. A great supporting casts is in it, and occasional well known actors like Toni
Colette and .Sam Neil make guest appearances.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1565 on: April 25, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »

I've always loved Richard Roxburgh. I don't think people know him from much except Moulin Rouge.

Isn’t that lead actor great!?? And the first season where he is so successful in the courtroom is a scream. I won’t be more specific to save the surprises for those who have not seen it. A great supporting casts is in it, and occasional well known actors like Toni

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1566 on: April 26, 2021, 05:08:06 AM »

I've always loved Richard Roxburgh. I don't think people know him from much except Moulin Rouge.

I loved the early seasons of Rake but it did fade towards the end.  They attempted a US version a few years ago with Greg Kinnear but it was awful. 

Also worth a look is Tangle with Ben Mendelsohn (Bloodline, etc).

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1567 on: April 26, 2021, 06:45:32 AM »

I loved the early seasons of Rake but it did fade towards the end.  They attempted a US version a few years ago with Greg Kinnear but it was awful. 

Oh! Ben Mendelssohn! I was just thinking about him after this talk about Rake. His work on Bloodline was the best supporting performance on tv in years. He inhabited that character.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1568 on: April 26, 2021, 08:25:53 AM »

Oh! Ben Mendelssohn! I was just thinking about him after this talk about Rake. His work on Bloodline was the best supporting performance on tv in years. He inhabited that character.

In a way I feel like I grew up with him - he was in a bunch of teen soaps and movies back in the 80s (Australia's John Cusack perhaps?).  If you want to go back in time, look for "The Year My Voice Broke", Spotswood (also included a young Russell Crowe and Toni Collette), and more recently, Animal Kingdom - his role as Pope Cody was surely a dress rehearsal for the Danny Rayburn character.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1569 on: April 26, 2021, 11:41:14 AM »
I recently gave Billions a shot, my interest in Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis outweighing my disinterest in the alpha dickhead world in which it's set. About to finish season 2 and I'm genuinely entertained. It's much better than I expected. Seems doubtful they can keep this up for 5 seasons but I'm in to find out.

Also Wags is dangerously close to becoming my favorite tv character of all time, despite being the precise antithesis of me as a person.

They can't, the plot starts getting ridiculous, but it remains really fun to watch. It's just that it starts requiring a little more patience with the writers and the main characters. Kind of like a better acted, edgier version of Suits, but just as overwrought.

Incidentally, the actor who plays Wags was also my favourite on Suits.

Boy you weren't kidding. I think I happened to have weighed in after just watching what is probably the pinnacle episode of the series.
Spoiler: show
Season 2 episode 11, where it's revealed Chuck is willing to sacrifice his father, best friend, and most of his personal fortune to lure Axe into an ironclad prosecution for sabotaging IceJuice.

Still entertaining, and I'll likely finish the series, but the plot is definitely getting looser and taking bigger leaps.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1570 on: April 26, 2021, 12:12:13 PM »
I recently gave Billions a shot, my interest in Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis outweighing my disinterest in the alpha dickhead world in which it's set. About to finish season 2 and I'm genuinely entertained. It's much better than I expected. Seems doubtful they can keep this up for 5 seasons but I'm in to find out.

Also Wags is dangerously close to becoming my favorite tv character of all time, despite being the precise antithesis of me as a person.

They can't, the plot starts getting ridiculous, but it remains really fun to watch. It's just that it starts requiring a little more patience with the writers and the main characters. Kind of like a better acted, edgier version of Suits, but just as overwrought.

Boy you weren't kidding. I think I happened to have weighed in after just watching what is probably the pinnacle episode of the series.
Season 2 episode 11, where it's revealed Chuck is willing to sacrifice his father, best friend, and most of his personal fortune to lure Axe into an ironclad prosecution for sabotaging IceJuice.

Still entertaining, and I'll likely finish the series, but the plot is definitely getting looser and taking bigger leaps.
In my primal need for more Succession I watched 20 minutes of Billions but do not much like it.

A fellow fan of Succession tells me to try Billions for 2 full episodes, perhaps it will grow on me. Both of us understand it is a pale thing when compared to the brilliance of
Succession. I only bring up Succession because alpha dickheads abound there.

Suits and Billions are often recommended to those who like
Succession.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1571 on: April 26, 2021, 12:21:06 PM »

In my primal need for more Succession I watched 20 minutes of Billions but do not much like it.

A fellow fan of Succession tells me to try Billions for 2 full episodes, perhaps it will grow on me. Both of us understand it is a pale thing when compared to the brilliance of
Succession. I only bring up Succession because alpha dickheads abound there.

Suits and Billions are often recommended to those who like
Succession.

Oh goodness no...totally different shows. Billions and Suits are fairly similar, but Succession is a totally different creature.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1572 on: April 26, 2021, 12:58:41 PM »
The Invincible cartoon on Amazon prime is a decent show.  I remember seeing this comic that Kirkman was writing a while back, but somehow decided that it was targeted at tweens and wouldn't be interesting to an adult.  Wrong on both counts!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1573 on: April 26, 2021, 02:39:57 PM »
The Invincible cartoon on Amazon prime is a decent show.  I remember seeing this comic that Kirkman was writing a while back, but somehow decided that it was targeted at tweens and wouldn't be interesting to an adult.  Wrong on both counts!

DH was watching it and I walked in during a particularly gory scene and was like "what the fuck are you watching????"

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1574 on: April 26, 2021, 04:26:13 PM »

I might have to check it out! Our family enjoys well-crafted animated movies/series big time. HBO Max has a ton of DC animated offerings but I've binged through most of the good stuff I think.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1575 on: April 26, 2021, 08:54:10 PM »

I might have to check it out! Our family enjoys well-crafted animated movies/series big time. HBO Max has a ton of DC animated offerings but I've binged through most of the good stuff I think.

IDK, how old are your kids? It's pretty gruesome.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1576 on: April 27, 2021, 07:32:38 AM »
started watching 'river' on prime. i like nichola walker and she seems interesting in the show but i just can't seem to care. i think i'm burned out on tv.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1577 on: April 27, 2021, 01:19:13 PM »
started watching 'river' on prime. i like nichola walker and she seems interesting in the show but i just can't seem to care. i think i'm burned out on tv.

Same, big fan of hers but could not get into River.  Although I see you also weren't very impressed with Unforgotten which I quite liked.  I especially like her in Last Tango in Halifax.

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1578 on: April 27, 2021, 01:26:55 PM »
Anyone ever see Roadies on Hulu. There is only one season of this 2016 Showtime show with Luke Wilson, but I was very entertained. Gotta love Rock and Roll.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1579 on: April 27, 2021, 02:21:45 PM »

Oh yeah.  It's Robert Kirkman . . . he's a fan of gore.  Don't watch this cartoon with young kids.  The first episode seems pretty tame for like 3/4s of it, but gets pretty damned unsuitable in the last 1/4.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1580 on: April 27, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »

Oh yeah.  It's Robert Kirkman . . . he's a fan of gore.  Don't watch this cartoon with young kids.  The first episode seems pretty tame for like 3/4s of it, but gets pretty damned unsuitable in the last 1/4.

So like animated equivalent of the Boys?

Mine are in high school and middle school but that might still be too much for them. And it's not like we don't have a ton of other options. Sounds like something I will "scout ahead" on and check out first.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1581 on: April 27, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »

So like animated equivalent of the Boys?

Mine are in high school and middle school but that might still be too much for them. And it's not like we don't have a ton of other options. Sounds like something I will "scout ahead" on and check out first.

I definitely wouldn't show to a kid in middle school  . . .  or early high school.  :P

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1582 on: May 02, 2021, 10:25:22 PM »
I've mostly been watching television because there aren't many new movies at the moment.

Loved WandaVision on Disney+ because it was so interesting to try to figure out what was going on. Scarlet Witch was not a character I had much interest in, and now I am excited to see her again in the next Dr. Strange movie. Liked The Falcon and the Winter Soldier OK, but it was much more conventional than WandaVision.

Have been watching The Nevers on HBO Max and enjoying it a lot. Steampunk about Victorian women with superpowers is my kind of thing.

Watched Shadow and Bone on Netflix. It's pretty light viewing, but I enjoyed a fantasy series based on a non-British culture (Tsarist Russia).

My "somehow I never watched that" series at the moment is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was just a little too old for it when it first came out, and in the past I had seen the first and the latest seasons which are not the strongest. A podcast host I like was doing a Buffy series so I thought I would give it a try. I am enjoying it much more this time through although not all has aged well.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1583 on: May 03, 2021, 02:54:04 AM »
Been watching Shadow and Bones on Netflix. Took two episodes to really figure the characters and all thats going on but really really like it. Kinda Harry Potter meats Outlanders. Mystical , Dark but usually not into these type of shows but love this one.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1584 on: May 03, 2021, 06:52:39 AM »
I am watching Loudermilk on Prime, and it is pretty hilarious. Lots of swearing, but I am literally laughing out loud. I'm glad that there are 3 seasons available!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1585 on: May 03, 2021, 06:58:59 AM »
We're watching Shadow and Bone too, just two episodes left. Yes it's full of YA-tropeishness, and I'm not a big fan of the two romantic(?) leads, but the setting is pretty cool and all of the bad guys are kind of awesome, especially Jesper and Kaz.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1586 on: May 03, 2021, 08:52:49 AM »
I'm all caught up on Mayans.  It's pretty good; my only gripe is the main character (EZ) is one of the weakest actors of the cast.  If the writers/directors were instead trying to use him as a character storyteller/narrator of sorts, it might be OK, but that's not the case with him.  The other mains/supports are much more believable and interesting though.

Seasons 3 is...dark and weird.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:54:23 AM by dignam »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1587 on: May 03, 2021, 08:57:02 AM »
I just subscribed to Curiosity Stream and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm watching a series on the history of Christianity, it's excellent.
Looking forward to seeing what else is on it. It was only $5 for the year.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1588 on: May 03, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »
A question please...is there a reliable mechanism to find sites to buy/stream old series of the past?  When I search I get a zillion shady looking sites.  I’d love to watch I’ll Fly Away or Homefront again. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1589 on: May 03, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »
I've mostly been watching television because there aren't many new movies at the moment.

Loved WandaVision on Disney+ because it was so interesting to try to figure out what was going on. Scarlet Witch was not a character I had much interest in, and now I am excited to see her again in the next Dr. Strange movie. Liked The Falcon and the Winter Soldier OK, but it was much more conventional than WandaVision.

Have been watching The Nevers on HBO Max and enjoying it a lot. Steampunk about Victorian women with superpowers is my kind of thing.

Watched Shadow and Bone on Netflix. It's pretty light viewing, but I enjoyed a fantasy series based on a non-British culture (Tsarist Russia).

My "somehow I never watched that" series at the moment is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was just a little too old for it when it first came out, and in the past I had seen the first and the latest seasons which are not the strongest. A podcast host I like was doing a Buffy series so I thought I would give it a try. I am enjoying it much more this time through although not all has aged well.

Too old? :confused look:  This doesn't compute at all for me LOL.  My husband and I got obsessed with that show when we were about 45 and 35 years old, and most of our friends who were really into it were our age or older (some watched it during original air, others watched on dvd, like us).  I haven't watched it in at least 10 years. Might be time for a rewatch.

I'm getting more intrigued by Shadow and Bone based on comments here, and a podcast review I heard on Pop Culture Happy Hour, but I think I might want to read at least one of the books first...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1590 on: May 05, 2021, 08:02:28 PM »
Look...I know...this is really long.

Being a lifelong worshipper at the altar of RuPaul Charles, I immediately took note when he had Lisa Kudrow stop by on Drag Race. He ruvealed that Kudrow is the reason for his iconic "hello hello hello!" when he walks into a room. It's taken from her character in "The Comeback". Okay neat factoid, never heard of the show.

Then Ru says something that makes my ears perk up, which is that "The Comeback" is one of the most underrated comedies of all time. So my interest at this point is, shall we say, piqued.

Well, The Comeback is a God damn ride, let me tell you.

So the history on the show is fascinating. Lisa Kudrow, post friends was asked by Michael Patrick King if she would ever want to do another show and she flat out said "NO."

Except, she would make one show, and she launches into doing her favourite improv bit that she developed well before Friends, called "your favourite actress on a talk show."

The bit basically skewers the generic vapid actress who is all ego and completely un-self-aware. Michael Patrick King is instantly sold and the two of them develop the show together on the spot.

Kudrow's character is a former 90s sitcom star trying to make a come back on an idiotic sitcom. With the role comes a reality show about her called "The Comeback," which chronicles the process of trying to climb back into the limelight as a middle aged 'has been'.

It's been described as one of the most scathing and accurate portrayals of the rampant sexism and ageism in the television world at the time. It's a comedy, so it's often delivered as awkward cringe, but just below the surface, it's searing, brilliant commentary.

It was canceled after one season and received mixed reviews.

Then something insane happened. Years passed, sexism became a thing we started caring about a bit more, tv matured in content quite a bit and the old sitcoms started looking very dated, reality tv blew up, but also we became more aware of reality tv bullshit.

So nearly a decade later, a bunch of people started watching or re-watching The Comeback, and some reviewers actually went back and RE-reviewed it.

It had been made 10 years too early. The audience wasn't ready for it. So what did Kudrow and King do? They resurrected it with almost ALL of the original cast, revisit and grapple with the conflicts of the first season. It's set a decade later, so the characters are all in very different places in life, which makes season 2 rather tonally distinctive. It's in many ways easier to watch because season 1 sets up the conflicts, and season 2 explores them.

What's even more interesting is why they stopped after season two. So a key character is Kudrow's sidekick, her old, gay hairstylist. The role was written for a particular actor, they basically said they couldn't do the show without him. The problem was that he was long retired, so Kudrow and King needed to coax him out of retirement.

They then had to re-coax him out of retirement again a decade later for season 2. The actor died not long after, so Kudrow said "that's it, the show is done".

Now this show is designed to seem a bit like an Arrested Development style show that's all about social awkwardness among generally unlikeable, but nonetheless charming characters who grow on you. It *seems* that way.

I almost bailed on it after a few episodes, because my taste for shows like that is particular, and they can easily veer into the "this is just annoying and I don't like these people" territory for me. Example: I don't like Seinfeld.

However, "The Comeback" isn't actually absurdist. What's fucking brilliant is that it seems absurd because the reality it's exploring IS completely absurd. This is a lightly humourized version of the very real, very batshit, fever-dream experience of making TV shows.

So it's actually the opposite of Arrested Development, which is absurd people doing largely mundane crap in absurd ways. The characters in The Comeback are absurd because Hollywood is absurd, and normal people have to behave absurdly within it to succeed. Kudrow's character is absurd because she's vapid and succumbs so easily to the constant intense absurd pressures of being a middle aged woman in Hollywood.

It is at many times uncomfortable to watch, and if you think it's goofy absurdist comedy, then the dark shit will feel out of place and tonally excessive. But if you instead take it more at face value as almost realism, then the dark shit comes off more as poignant commentary, and the comedy is the bone that Kudrow throws you to make it digestible, because that's her style.

Anyway, that's my long take on "The Comeback" and my solid agreement with RuPaul that it is probably the most underrated comedy I have ever seen. And the provenance and history alone make it worth checking out.

You might still watch the first episode and think "Malcat has shit taste in tv, this is just kind of annoying and dumb". DH wasn't able to get into season 1 at all, which is interesting because Kudrow has been quoted as saying that a lot of straight white guys just couldn't watch it.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1591 on: May 06, 2021, 03:27:01 AM »

I love Rake.  I also recommend an Australian series about new motherhood called "the Let Down" on Netflix.  Please Like Me is also pretty good although I often wanted to slap the main character.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1592 on: May 06, 2021, 06:32:09 AM »
So far i'm enjoying 'The Night Manager'. Makes me want to go to Mallorca.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1593 on: May 06, 2021, 07:26:18 AM »
The Comeback with Lisa Kudrow is pretty funny. It is about a self important actress whose time has passed, but her career is revived in a tv sitcom. Her hunger for fame is the running joke.

Kudrow’s video series called Web Therapy is also about a self important therapist who practices in front of a camera. It is more of a sketch comedy, but it has great guest appearances from well known actors. This Kudrow character is obnoxious, while .the .comeback star is just to be pitied.

speaking of good series not well known by former Friends stars, Matt LeBlanc’s show Episodes is good, too. Another TV show about a former well-known TV actor.

I am re-watching The Girlfriend Experience on Amazon with Riley Keough. Wow she was good in this and she is in every frame of this production. She was nominated for a couple of awards for this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:42:46 AM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1594 on: May 06, 2021, 08:04:46 AM »

I love Rake.  I also recommend an Australian series about new motherhood called "the Let Down" on Netflix.  Please Like Me is also pretty good although I often wanted to slap the main character.

Please Like Me is fantastic, and just gets better and better as it goes on. The ending just wrecked me.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1595 on: May 06, 2021, 08:10:25 AM »
The Comeback with Lisa Kudrow is pretty funny. It is about a self important actress whose time has passed, but her career is revived in a tv sitcom. Her hunger for fame is the running joke.

Kudrow’s video series called Web Therapy is also about a self important therapist who practices in front of a camera. It is more of a sketch comedy, but it has great guest appearances from well known actors. This Kudrow character is obnoxious, while .the .comeback star is just to be pitied.

speaking of good series not well known by former Friends stars, Matt LeBlanc’s show Episodes is good, too. Another TV show about a former well-known TV actor.

I am re-watching The Girlfriend Experience on Amazon with Riley Keough. Wow she was good in this and she is in every frame of this production. She was nominated for a couple of awards for this.

Episodes is great, I really enjoyed their take on a clever British show being remade in America and ending up totally cannibalized. The characters are fantastic, and I really liked all of the actors.

I tried watching The Girlfriend Experience, but I ended up getting to agitated by endless silences and expressionless monotone speaking. I couldn't even make it through 2 episodes. I may have just not been in the mood for it though, so I might give it another shot.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1596 on: May 06, 2021, 12:00:45 PM »

Episodes is great, I really enjoyed their take on a clever British show being remade in America and ending up totally cannibalized. The characters are fantastic, and I really liked all of the actors.

I tried watching The Girlfriend Experience, but I ended up getting to agitated by endless silences and expressionless monotone speaking. I couldn't even make it through 2 episodes. I may have just not been in the mood for it though, so I might give it another shot.

Her non-expressive face  one  of the reasons why I think she did a good job as the lead character in The Girlfriend Experience. The character explains that she is an introvert and she doesn’t really like people. When she meets Her male clients, she turns on the charm in a quiet way, obviousthat it is part of her “job.”

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1597 on: May 06, 2021, 12:03:17 PM »

Her non-expressive face  one  of the reasons why I think she did a good job as the lead character in The Girlfriend Experience. The character explains that she is an introvert and she doesn’t really like people. When she meets Her male clients, she turns on the charm in a quiet way, obviousthat it is part of her “job.”

Oh I "got" it, I just found it painfully tedious to watch.

Especially her scenes with her girlfriend where they quietly engage in expressionless, monotone romance. Again, I was probably just in the wrong mood for it.

I liked Diary of A Call girl, and expected basically a less comedic version of that. And I was very wrong.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1598 on: May 13, 2021, 07:58:01 AM »
watching 'catastrophe' on amazon. great dialog and pretty damn funny.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1599 on: May 14, 2021, 10:51:13 AM »
Web Series. Criminal Justice: Behind Closed Doors.
Indian crime drama, along the lines of CSI and some British shows.
2 episodes in, I'm hooked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Justice:_Behind_Closed_Doors

I don't watch Indian TV shows, but I made an exception for this one.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!