Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 779261 times)

turketron

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1700 on: January 12, 2022, 10:47:28 AM »
Huh.  I did not expect that epilogue, but I think I really like it.  I might have to re-read the last few chapters a few times.  I'm definitely going to re-read the series a few times eventually :)

Now all I have is one last episode of the show.  Sad day.

Yeah, I'm super intrigued by the implications of the epilogue. 
Spoiler: show
I'm really curious what went down during the millennium after the gates closed! I know the writers have said they don't have any plans for more content in the Expanse universe but if they ever change their minds that timeframe would be ripe for storylines. Also, Amos being the literal last one standing is very fitting :)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1701 on: January 12, 2022, 10:51:55 AM »
Huh.  I did not expect that epilogue, but I think I really like it.  I might have to re-read the last few chapters a few times.  I'm definitely going to re-read the series a few times eventually :)

Now all I have is one last episode of the show.  Sad day.

Yeah, I'm super intrigued by the implications of the epilogue. 
I'm really curious what went down during the millennium after the gates closed! I know the writers have said they don't have any plans for more content in the Expanse universe but if they ever change their minds that timeframe would be ripe for storylines. Also, Amos being the literal last one standing is very fitting :)

I don't 100% remember what happened in the last two books, because I read them quickly when they came out and I don't think I've looked at them again since then.
I thought they were in an ok place as far as resources and food before all this went down, so yeah, I'm curious what happened that they've had such a tough time.  Also I really want to know what happened to Xan and Cara, if Amos is still around.  How would being a kid for a thousand years work?  And did Laconia just fall apart?  Gah. 

I'm interested in the fact that they're introducing Xan and Cara in the show so early, since their origin wasn't really shown in the books until Elvi was introduced to them.  Where are they going to go with a single episode left???

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1702 on: January 14, 2022, 03:57:55 PM »
I'm reading The Dark Forest, the second in the Three-Body Problem trilogy.  I'm still early in the book, but it feels so different from the first book so far.  Not in a bad way, and I'm willing to wait and see where it goes, but between having so few carry-over characters, significant changes in settings and topic, there have literally only been a handful of pages so far that feel like they are of the same series as the first.  I'm intrigued . . . .

Also listening to Apples Never Fall, the latest Liane Moriarty.  I always read her books even though the last one or two have not been as good - they were still mindlessly engrossing, which is great for audiobooks, since I usually listen while doing errands and chores.  So far this one is interesting, but it's 18 hours and I'm only 3 hours in, so reserving judgment.

How convenient! I just started The Dark Forest this past weekend. I have the same challenges with it as you, but I hate to leave a series unfinished. Hopefully it works itself out.

I read the first two of the series last year. The Dark Forest is quite good, IMO. If you enjoyed the first, I think you'll enjoy the second.  I haven't really got into the third yet.

They get even more different by the end of the third book, for sure.  I think I enjoyed the style of the first one most, but I still am glad I read all of them. 

I'm reading Leviathan Falls, the very last book of the Expanse series, FINALLY.  It's good so far, but I think I'm enjoying it most because I'll finally get a resolution to the overarching story (hopefully)

Still in the middle of The Dark Forest right now, but something that (finally?) struck me is that apparently in this version of Earth there's no climate change?  And based on our collective action (or lack thereof) on climate change so far, I don't know whether to be skeptical that humanity would actually pull together the vast resources and effort that they are in this book for a problem that is even more remote than climate change. . . or if it makes sense because humans are much more reactive to an active malevolent force than a passive one that we caused ourselves?

Definitely enjoying it, but just got a little sidetracked by that thought.  Strategizing against an alien invasion is way sexier than climate change.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1703 on: January 14, 2022, 06:02:13 PM »
I'm reading The Dark Forest, the second in the Three-Body Problem trilogy.  I'm still early in the book, but it feels so different from the first book so far.  Not in a bad way, and I'm willing to wait and see where it goes, but between having so few carry-over characters, significant changes in settings and topic, there have literally only been a handful of pages so far that feel like they are of the same series as the first.  I'm intrigued . . . .

Also listening to Apples Never Fall, the latest Liane Moriarty.  I always read her books even though the last one or two have not been as good - they were still mindlessly engrossing, which is great for audiobooks, since I usually listen while doing errands and chores.  So far this one is interesting, but it's 18 hours and I'm only 3 hours in, so reserving judgment.

How convenient! I just started The Dark Forest this past weekend. I have the same challenges with it as you, but I hate to leave a series unfinished. Hopefully it works itself out.

I read the first two of the series last year. The Dark Forest is quite good, IMO. If you enjoyed the first, I think you'll enjoy the second.  I haven't really got into the third yet.

They get even more different by the end of the third book, for sure.  I think I enjoyed the style of the first one most, but I still am glad I read all of them. 

I'm reading Leviathan Falls, the very last book of the Expanse series, FINALLY.  It's good so far, but I think I'm enjoying it most because I'll finally get a resolution to the overarching story (hopefully)

Still in the middle of The Dark Forest right now, but something that (finally?) struck me is that apparently in this version of Earth there's no climate change?  And based on our collective action (or lack thereof) on climate change so far, I don't know whether to be skeptical that humanity would actually pull together the vast resources and effort that they are in this book for a problem that is even more remote than climate change. . . or if it makes sense because humans are much more reactive to an active malevolent force than a passive one that we caused ourselves?

Definitely enjoying it, but just got a little sidetracked by that thought.  Strategizing against an alien invasion is way sexier than climate change.

I just finished The Dark Forest and I was pretty sure there *was* climate change. Specifically desertification around Beijing. But it wasn't really dwelt on.

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #1704 on: January 15, 2022, 10:10:22 AM »
Just finished Ken Follett's recent book, Never. Now I'm reading Mick Herron's short story collection, Dolphin Junction, and Khurrum Rahman's East of Hounslow.

Mick Herron is one of my favourite writers - I love his darkly comic Slough House series (about failed British spies relegated to a building/division known as Slough House).

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1705 on: January 16, 2022, 09:11:11 AM »

I just finished The Dark Forest and I was pretty sure there *was* climate change. Specifically desertification around Beijing. But it wasn't really dwelt on.

Unrelated to climate change, but there are other things I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around, the chief one being why off-planet arcs would be banned. If we're to believe that defeating the aliens is impossible (even though they have 400 years to come up with a solution), sending people off-world is a necessary way to extend the human race. Even if they can come up with a way to defeat the tri-solarans, sending some people off-world is a good hedge.

Their reason for outlawing it is that deciding who to put on the ships would create world-wide conflict, and I just don't see that. Deciding who to put on the ships should be painfully obvious. First, you need people who can operate the ships. Then, you need people who can do maintenance on the ships. Next, you need medical personnel, followed by people who can produce food/water (need experts who can do this on the arcs as well as those who can do it if the arc ever reaches another planet. You also need experts in every scientific field, and I'm sure there are others I've missed but would be identified by the people in charge.

Once you have established what you need, you can narrow down your list of qualified people 10 or so years prior to the actual launch and select via a lottery or some other unbiased method, with stipulations that those related to people involved in the selection process can't be selected.

Maybe I'm reading too deep into this, but I'm really struggling with why they outlawed escapism.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1706 on: January 16, 2022, 12:20:48 PM »

Unrelated to climate change, but there are other things I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around, the chief one being why off-planet arcs would be banned. If we're to believe that defeating the aliens is impossible (even though they have 400 years to come up with a solution), sending people off-world is a necessary way to extend the human race. Even if they can come up with a way to defeat the tri-solarans, sending some people off-world is a good hedge.

Their reason for outlawing it is that deciding who to put on the ships would create world-wide conflict, and I just don't see that. Deciding who to put on the ships should be painfully obvious. First, you need people who can operate the ships. Then, you need people who can do maintenance on the ships. Next, you need medical personnel, followed by people who can produce food/water (need experts who can do this on the arcs as well as those who can do it if the arc ever reaches another planet. You also need experts in every scientific field, and I'm sure there are others I've missed but would be identified by the people in charge.

Once you have established what you need, you can narrow down your list of qualified people 10 or so years prior to the actual launch and select via a lottery or some other unbiased method, with stipulations that those related to people involved in the selection process can't be selected.

Maybe I'm reading too deep into this, but I'm really struggling with why they outlawed escapism.

I dunno, but it seems to me that it's super easy to get people all riled up about any sort of perceived 'unfairness.'  You just know that race and nationality would be HUGE factors in how spots got divvied up without regard to skillset.  No matter how you did it there would be rabble rousers and grifters stirring up controversies for fun and profit.  In the end, you would have to just use a lottery system, which would mean that you were not, in fact, putting the most logical people in place.  Meanwhile the entire enterprise would come under fire as a distraction and misallocation of resources better used coming up with a planetary defense.  I mean, heck, look at how many people think we should stop wasting money on NASA while we have so many problems here on earth.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1707 on: February 03, 2022, 02:28:19 PM »
'this is how they tell me the world ends' by nichol perlroth. we are doomed.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1708 on: February 08, 2022, 08:11:27 AM »
malcolm gladwell's 'talking to strangers'. very interesting. i like the deep dive into things we assume we know.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1709 on: February 08, 2022, 09:19:28 AM »
Finished "Underworld" by Don Delilo.

Started "Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1710 on: February 08, 2022, 09:31:50 AM »
'this is how they tell me the world ends' by nichol perlroth. we are doomed.

This sounds like a really interesting read. Unfortunately, I don't have the spoons for it.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1711 on: February 08, 2022, 03:47:54 PM »
Dirt by Bill Buford chronicles his years in Lyon FR training as a chef (as a middle aged husband and father).  Quite interesting if you're into food and food history.  A good follow up to his book Heat which was similar but took place in Italy a couple of years prior.   

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1712 on: February 16, 2022, 09:06:46 AM »
Dirt by Bill Buford chronicles his years in Lyon FR training as a chef (as a middle aged husband and father).  Quite interesting if you're into food and food history.  A good follow up to his book Heat which was similar but took place in Italy a couple of years prior.

My favorite quote about that book was from a friend who said "It's a book that helps you understand why people dislike the French and why people dislike Bill Buford".

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1713 on: February 16, 2022, 12:31:39 PM »

My favorite quote about that book was from a friend who said "It's a book that helps you understand why people dislike the French and why people dislike Bill Buford".

Interesting.  It certainly depicts some rather unflattering aspects of a particular culture in France and Lyon doesn’t come off as a very friendly or particularly beautiful place.  Professional kitchen subcultures are not generally considered “nice” places populated by “nice” people. 
 I’m not sure why anyone would dislike Buford based on the book. He overused the word apposite, which i found myself counting every time I encountered it, but otherwise I didn't form any unfavorable opinions about the man.   

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1714 on: February 16, 2022, 01:46:41 PM »

Interesting.  It certainly depicts some rather unflattering aspects of a particular culture in France and Lyon doesn’t come off as a very friendly or particularly beautiful place.  Professional kitchen subcultures are not generally considered “nice” places populated by “nice” people. 
 I’m not sure why anyone would dislike Buford based on the book. He overused the word apposite, which i found myself counting every time I encountered it, but otherwise I didn't form any unfavorable opinions about the man.

Bill Buford has a bit of a reputation as sometimes being a pest and not realizing when he is putting other people out. I think that comes through in the book as well. For context, my friend who made the comment has worked with Buford in the past, and only made the comment half seriously.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1715 on: February 17, 2022, 04:03:52 PM »

Bill Buford has a bit of a reputation as sometimes being a pest and not realizing when he is putting other people out. I think that comes through in the book as well. For context, my friend who made the comment has worked with Buford in the past, and only made the comment half seriously.

Well now that I can see.  It sort of goes with the territory of being a writer of this sort of story, one should think.  Without being somewhat of a pest there would be no book. 

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1716 on: February 19, 2022, 05:38:10 PM »
@salt cured : I enjoy Louise Penny (set in eastern Quebec).

I wanted to thank you again for this suggestion specifically. I haven’t made it to many of the other recommendations in part because I’ve fallen for these books. I read two of the later entries (random ones available at the library) and then decided to read from book 1. While I’m biased (lots of love for the eastern townships), I’ve not read anything better in the genre.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1717 on: March 02, 2022, 08:37:05 PM »
I'm reading Death's End, the last in The Three Body Problem series.  Anyone else that was on this trilogy get to it yet?  I'm relaxing into it, knowing how much I liked Dark Forest even though that one took some time to get used to.  This one added yet another 100 pages onto the length of the last (which was itself about 100 pages longer than the first), so I guess I'll be reading it for a few weeks.  I'm have no idea what to expect.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1718 on: March 03, 2022, 09:10:59 AM »
I'm reading Death's End, the last in The Three Body Problem series.  Anyone else that was on this trilogy get to it yet?  I'm relaxing into it, knowing how much I liked Dark Forest even though that one took some time to get used to.  This one added yet another 100 pages onto the length of the last (which was itself about 100 pages longer than the first), so I guess I'll be reading it for a few weeks.  I'm have no idea what to expect.

I preferred the first book. It felt like the next two were trying to cash in on the popularity of the first and did not match the first book.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1719 on: March 03, 2022, 09:58:10 AM »
I am reading IQ84 by Haruki Murakami.  It is set in 1984, in a parallel world.  It is super long, like almost 1000 pages, but I have learned that it is because the original Japanese version is actually a trilogy.  I am only about 15% of the way through, but so far it is interesting. 

The reviews seem to be mixed, like most things in entertainment, you either love it or hate it, so it seems.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 10:02:02 AM by FIRE Artist »

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #1720 on: March 03, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
I am reading IQ84 by Haruki Murakami.  It is set in 1984, in a parallel world.  It is super long, like almost 1000 pages, but I have learned that it is because the original Japanese version is actually a trilogy.  I am only about 15% of the way through, but so far it is interesting. 

The reviews seem to be mixed, like most things in entertainment, you either love it or hate it, so it seems.

I loved it! But yes, it is long.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1721 on: March 03, 2022, 04:45:25 PM »

I preferred the first book. It felt like the next two were trying to cash in on the popularity of the first and did not match the first book.

I'm about 1/3 through Death's End and I like it so far.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1722 on: March 04, 2022, 01:01:30 AM »
Hi, I'd like to join in if I may?

I'm currently half way through the Ministry of the Future. I grabbed it off the shelf at the library without reading the blurb, because I usually like everything Kim Stanley Robinson writes. But I'd forgotten how realistic and depressing his recent stuff has been. I'm also finding it too similar to everything of his I've read in the last few years (plus, what is it with him calling all his male leads Frank? Was that his father's name or something? I should look that up) & I'm struggling a bit to get through it.

I have also, for some light relief started the rerelease of Magician by Raymond E Feist. This is the 'authors' preferred version' that was published a couple(?) of years ago. I can't remember the original well enough that I'll pick up on changes but I love his collab with Janny Wurts on the Empire trilogy, & I've been meaning to re-read Magician for a while now.

And finally, my book club book this month was the Secret Library. This was another one that started out very depressing, but it got better. During the pandemic I have been flirting with the idea of making major changes in my life, so it was quite inspiring, although maybe a little bit glib?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1723 on: March 04, 2022, 07:29:16 AM »
Hi, I'd like to join in if I may?

I'm currently half way through the Ministry of the Future. I grabbed it off the shelf at the library without reading the blurb, because I usually like everything Kim Stanley Robinson writes. But I'd forgotten how realistic and depressing his recent stuff has been. I'm also finding it too similar to everything of his I've read in the last few years (plus, what is it with him calling all his male leads Frank? Was that his father's name or something? I should look that up) & I'm struggling a bit to get through it.

I have also, for some light relief started the rerelease of Magician by Raymond E Feist. This is the 'authors' preferred version' that was published a couple(?) of years ago. I can't remember the original well enough that I'll pick up on changes but I love his collab with Janny Wurts on the Empire trilogy, & I've been meaning to re-read Magician for a while now.

And finally, my book club book this month was the Secret Library. This was another one that started out very depressing, but it got better. During the pandemic I have been flirting with the idea of making major changes in my life, so it was quite inspiring, although maybe a little bit glib?

I thought Ministry For The Future was really good although a bit dry. I'm not a huge KSR fan. I did read the first of his Mars Trilogy and made it about half way through the second one.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1724 on: March 04, 2022, 10:25:29 AM »
I'm usually working on a couple at a time.

Early Christian Lives, Gregory Athanasius, Carolinne White

The Master's Apprentice: A Retelling of the Faust Legend
Oliver Pötzsch

Just finished: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1725 on: March 08, 2022, 07:05:53 AM »

I've had it checked out for a couple weeks and am only 10% of the way through. Once I get into the meat of a book, I burn through it, but it definitely takes me a while to get to the meat.

I think Cixin Liu takes a long time to get to the point in a book, which makes them unnecessarily long. I still enjoyed the first two books in their own way, and I really love the premise behind the dark forest theory.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1726 on: March 08, 2022, 11:42:48 AM »
I just started reading 'Barbarian Days' by William Finnegan. Its an autobiographical story about growing up surfing in California and Hawaii.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1727 on: March 10, 2022, 04:41:44 AM »

I've had it checked out for a couple weeks and am only 10% of the way through. Once I get into the meat of a book, I burn through it, but it definitely takes me a while to get to the meat.

I think Cixin Liu takes a long time to get to the point in a book, which makes them unnecessarily long. I still enjoyed the first two books in their own way, and I really love the premise behind the dark forest theory.

Finished this yesterday and loved it.  I'm quite forgiving of the length and the random wanderings as I think they added a lot overall to the series and enjoyed almost all the rabbit holes and tangents it went on.  It wasn't perfect, but I am stunned by Cixin Liu's creativity as well as his and his translator's ability to convey complicated concepts in layman's terms.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1728 on: March 21, 2022, 02:49:05 AM »
I've just finished Magician. It turns out I had never actually read it. It was... good? I guess? Much less subtle than more modern fantasy. I had planned to work through the whole series, I'll read them if I come across them, but I won't be going too far out of my way to find them, I don't think.

Next up is The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul. It's my book club book and I have reservations. It was published and is set in 2011 and so far it's like someone took a really complex and challenging scenario, filed off the complicated bits and made a light and fluffy Chick Lit book out of it. I can already tell which characters are going to end up living 'happily ever after' with which & it just feels rather disrespectful of a heartbreaking situation, especially in light of the events of last year. Maybe it will get better. I hope so.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1729 on: March 21, 2022, 06:31:08 AM »
I've just finished Magician. It turns out I had never actually read it. It was... good? I guess? Much less subtle than more modern fantasy. I had planned to work through the whole series, I'll read them if I come across them, but I won't be going too far out of my way to find them, I don't think.
Raymond Feist one?
There are several series in that universe. He also did a series with a Jenny Wurts I think? I liked that one for the reflections of the characters.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1730 on: March 21, 2022, 10:36:12 AM »
Raymond Feist one?
There are several series in that universe. He also did a series with a Jenny Wurts I think? I liked that one for the reflections of the characters.

Yes, that's the one. I really like the Janny Wurts series, this felt weaker. Maybe he matured as a writer, or maybe she brought a lot of the depth out of the characters in their collaboration. Probably a bit of both.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1731 on: April 04, 2022, 05:08:21 PM »

Finished this yesterday and loved it.  I'm quite forgiving of the length and the random wanderings as I think they added a lot overall to the series and enjoyed almost all the rabbit holes and tangents it went on.  It wasn't perfect, but I am stunned by Cixin Liu's creativity as well as his and his translator's ability to convey complicated concepts in layman's terms.

Ok just finished Death's End and verdict is I liked it.  I think of the trilogy, I most liked the second installment, The Dark Forest.    I found the first of the series to be the least enjoyable, actually.  I started the book last year and kind of put it down for a few months because it didn't grab my attention and was a bit depressing.  Some of that was due to struggling with the Chinese names.  I confess I stopped worrying too much about keeping them straight. 

Because this is a translation, and because the author is Chinese,  I did find myself wondering on a couple of occasions whether the translators had taken any liberties for the sake of the Western reader in regard to cultural references such as the one to Gone With The Wind.  Did a Chinese writer really make that reference or was it originally a reference that no American reader would have known, so another more familiar was substituted?   

Anyway, good trilogy.  Very imaginative. 

It certainly hardened my belief (along with Elon Musk, et al) that we should not be trying to make contact with any alien civilizations.  Bad idea.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1732 on: April 05, 2022, 04:24:59 AM »
The latest issue of Bassmaster magazine and The Origins and History of Consciousness.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1733 on: April 21, 2022, 02:03:00 PM »
I'm reading The Sentence.  I was seeing it mentioned a lot last year since several friends read it and maybe it won some prize(s) or positive literary criticism?  I didn't really pay attention, but I got it on audio from the library the other day and have been listening while hiking and walking and I really like it so far.  The author reads it and does a good job and I think that's a big portion of what I'm enjoying.  I kind of have no idea what's going on plot-wise yet, which is fine for now.  Presumably soon there will be a direction.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1734 on: April 21, 2022, 03:37:20 PM »
Finished Gravity's Rainbow and am moving on to Wittgenstein's Mistress now.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1735 on: April 22, 2022, 07:37:09 AM »
Demian by Hermann Hesse

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1736 on: April 22, 2022, 09:40:56 AM »
Demian by Hermann Hesse

Nice.  I read that after going down the rabbit hole of BTS Wings era.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1737 on: April 22, 2022, 10:44:51 AM »
'What I Talk about When I Talk about Running' by Haruki Murakami

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1738 on: May 21, 2022, 04:20:03 PM »
Bit of a catch-up post for recently read stuff

McCullough's The Great Bridge about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge very interesting to read about the engineering, esp the caissons. Now I want to go back to NYC and walk the bridge. I've seen it (it's something to behold from a sailboat), but never been on it.

Re-read Scalzi's Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades  just escapist sci-fi. 

Begun Chernow's Grant which I am enjoying. 

Begun Orson Scott Card's latest in the Ender series The Last Shadow 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1739 on: May 21, 2022, 06:03:58 PM »
Reading Timothy Snyder's Bloodlands, which describes the long series of atrocities in the Slavic and Baltic countries. It fills a gap in my historical understanding of the eastern front in WWII, and is germane to the history leading to current conflict. I find it a well written book that I have to read only a few chapters at a time. The awfulness that humans can visit upon each other is that bad. I highly recommend the book, though I can't promise that it will be a happy read.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1740 on: May 22, 2022, 05:45:06 AM »
Blood Meridian

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1741 on: May 22, 2022, 02:25:24 PM »
I'm reading a book called Fuzz: When Nature Breaks the Law, which I thought would be some sort of cutesy thing about squirrels and monkeys stealing people's treats and clothing and maybe cars and other silly mishaps.  But it seems to be about how animals kill humans....in detail.  Bit macabre.  Some interesting small facts in there though.  Like that mountain lions and bears rarely disembowel humans (even though it's well known that's where the good stuff is) in the rare occasions that they are actually killing a human in a predatory fashion, rather than defensively.  Seems like they aren't completely sure why, but those animals don't eat through clothing, so they believe it's something about how it feels on their teeth or something like that. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1742 on: May 23, 2022, 05:58:04 AM »
Blood Meridian
heavy. i need to reread it.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1743 on: May 24, 2022, 09:00:06 AM »
Blood Meridian
heavy. i need to reread it.
Perhaps it's just me, but it's more hopeful every time I read it.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1744 on: July 04, 2022, 12:19:46 PM »
Just finished Erik Larson’s The Splendid and the Vile which is a historical account of the first year of Winston Churchill’s prime ministership during the Blitz.  Taken from personal diaries of family members and his personal aides who spent so much time with Churchill in that first year when the future of the West hung by a thread. 

Ukrainian president Zelensky reminds me of Churchill in the way he has given his people a voice and has been able to rally other nations to help support his own in their time of dire need.  Thankfully we have been faster to respond this time, though still we are guilty of holding back desperately needed support.  It’s almost like we never really learn the lessons of the past. 

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1745 on: July 05, 2022, 04:59:13 PM »
Just finished Erik Larson’s The Splendid and the Vile which is a historical account of the first year of Winston Churchill’s prime ministership during the Blitz.  Taken from personal diaries of family members and his personal aides who spent so much time with Churchill in that first year when the future of the West hung by a thread. 

Ukrainian president Zelensky reminds me of Churchill in the way he has given his people a voice and has been able to rally other nations to help support his own in their time of dire need.  Thankfully we have been faster to respond this time, though still we are guilty of holding back desperately needed support.  It’s almost like we never really learn the lessons of the past.

I love that book, Erik Larson has yet to let me down, but The Devil in the White City is my absolute favourite of his. 

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1746 on: July 05, 2022, 05:54:27 PM »
I've been on a big Michael Connelly kick lately. I read the last two in his Jack McEvoy series -- "The Scarecrow" and "Fair Warning". The first was okay but I didn't find the bad guy very interesting. The latter was very good and I couldn't put it down for the last hundred pages. Next I'm starting on Connelly's "Lincoln Lawyer" series.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1747 on: July 13, 2022, 10:02:03 PM »
I'm almost done with Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory which is a kind of fun and (surprise, surprise) sometimes gross and disturbing book about the death industry.  I've heard Caitlin Doughty do guest spots a time or two on one of my favorite podcasts, doing an "Ask a Mortician" bit, which is also kind of cool.  She's definitely not the person you'd expect representing morticians, but she makes it interesting.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1748 on: July 13, 2022, 10:58:52 PM »
Finished Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy and started The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1749 on: July 15, 2022, 08:40:02 AM »
"The Lost Family, How DNA Testing is Upending Who we Are" by Libby Copeland.  Non-fiction look at the explosion in the use of genetic genealogy home test kits and the family mysteries that are now being uncovered. 

The author outlines the history of genealogy searching pre-internet to present day, interspersed with stories of several "seekers" who originally wanted more info on their family tree.  Predictably, the results can vary from disappointment and rejection all the way to newly discovered family members welcoming them with open arms.
Also includes the tricky issue of law enforcement using these databases to solve crimes, and the potential for insurance companies to discriminate based on genetic health issues. 
Well written, very engrossing, lots to ponder in this brave new world.