Author Topic: All-electric cars to seat 6+  (Read 15219 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
All-electric cars to seat 6+
« on: March 30, 2024, 12:54:28 PM »
Well, there's going to be another mini mustache in our house this year, taking the kid total up to 4. So we need a new car to fit all six of us in.

We currently have a VW e-Golf which we bought used and have really enjoyed the all-electric nature. It works really well for our budget and driving patterns and we find it extremely convenient to charge at home and never go to a petrol station.

I know basically nothing about cars. Are there any larger all-electric (as opposed to hybrid) vehicles suitable for a larger mustachian family? All we care about is practicality, we're happy to drive the dorkiest car on the planet. We'll keep the e-Golf for my husband to drive when he's alone and maybe for me to drive when it's just me and the kids (although I'm not sure how realistic the idea of me moving car seats around is). Most of our driving would be one of those scenarios, rather than the whole family going out together.

ETA: We have a tight turn out of our narrow driveway. If that makes a difference. So dorky is fine, super long might be a bit iffy.

And I'm in the UK.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 12:56:08 PM by shelivesthedream »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
Re: All-electric cars to seat 6+
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 04:50:48 PM »
Tesla Model Y comes in a 7 seat variant.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 10:09:46 AM »
Tesla Model Y comes in a 7 seat variant.

Wow, that seems pretty expensive and high-end for our needs. Or do I just have a knee-jerk reaction to the word "Tesla"? :) The e-Golf is our first ever and only car, so I have no idea what the ballpark is for car prices of various specs.

I forgot to mention that we don't drive much. In the past six months I think we have driven 100-150 miles a month, plus one 200 mile trip. My husband walks to his everyday workplace (though occasionally needs to drive to clients) and we homeschool so no commute or school run.

Surely other manufacturers are jumping on the electric bandwagon and bringing out electric versions of larger cars?

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 12:17:46 PM »
We loved our Citroen Grand Picasso (now Grand Spacetourer) while in Ireland.  We would have brought it back with us to the US, if it was feasible.  It had, by far, the most leg room in the front I have ever encountered.  It is the only car I did not have to adjust all the way back, to fit.  (I am 6' 8")  And at 40 mpg diesel, it was the highest milage we had, until our hybrid.

Alas, it looks like they have discontinued the quasi-minivan (with normal doors) and now have an actual van, with sliding doors.  A bonus is that they might be easier for little ones to navigate, without banging into your car park neighbors.  There is an e-spacetourer now, I see.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 02:59:02 PM by reeshau »

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 02:44:49 PM »
Check out the Kia EV9. We test drove one and I loved it - really comfortable and spacious with some nice features.

I haven't heard very good things about the Tesla Model Y 7-seater - the third row looks too small to be very useful, and with the third row it has almost no cargo space, which would make it hard to carry things like a stroller. Since you expressed some sticker shock over that one, I'll point out though that it's actually one of the least expensive 6+ seater EVs on the market.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 06:25:51 PM »
I may be wrong, but aren't all the 6 seater EV's going to be pretty expensive since they're new and you can't buy older ones? Given you drive so little, does it make more sense to either buy an older gas minivan (or UK equivalent) or buy a second smaller car and just take 2 on the rare occasions you drive? Of course that won't work if you need to take the car while your H is at work. But throwing it out there as an idea.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 06:46:59 PM »
The Tesla Model Y is the most affordable option with 7 seast, but the rear two seats aren't really usable on a daily basis.  You can cram two kids back there if a grandparent is in town, but you don't want to use them frequently.

7 seat vehicles do get more expensive as EV's, as there's less competition, and they need bigger battery packs for larger sizes.

I'm US based, so I don't know UK pricing or availability.  These are the ones I'd look into, assuming they're available in your market:

1. Kia EV9: Very recently released.  Kia makes good EV's.
2. Volvo EX90: Hasn't been released in the US yet, but is supposed to come sometime relatively soon
3. VW ID.Buzz:  Looks really cool.  It's not available in the US yet, but I believe it was coming to various parts of Europe first
4. Tesla model X: Expensive, but there might be decent deals on used ones

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2024, 06:52:32 PM »
I know you said no hybrids, but… a plug-in hybrid will probably be in all electric mode for in town driving. Since you’re driving short distances, it might function as an electric and have more availability.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 08:51:39 PM »
3. VW ID.Buzz:  Looks really cool.  It's not available in the US yet, but I believe it was coming to various parts of Europe first

I believe the EU/UK version is 2-row 5-seats vs. 3-row 7-seats in the US.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 10:41:37 PM »
Here are a few more not mentioned yet:
Citroen e-Berlingo XL (this is the cheapest new one I can find, at £31,890)
Mercedes EQB
Mercedes EQV
Mercedes eVito Tourer
BYD TANG
Maxus MIFA 9

I found these on ev-database.org, which is a very helpful site and lets you filter by number of seats.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 09:25:27 AM »
Just posting to say congrats on the new baby.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2024, 09:14:07 PM »
Wow, that seems pretty expensive and high-end for our needs. Or do I just have a knee-jerk reaction to the word "Tesla"? :) The e-Golf is our first ever and only car, so I have no idea what the ballpark is for car prices of various specs.

I forgot to mention that we don't drive much. In the past six months I think we have driven 100-150 miles a month, plus one 200 mile trip. My husband walks to his everyday workplace (though occasionally needs to drive to clients) and we homeschool so no commute or school run.

Surely other manufacturers are jumping on the electric bandwagon and bringing out electric versions of larger cars?

TBH, if you drive that little, the EV isn't going to save you anything. It sounds like you're at <5000 (maybe way less) miles a year?

Which, btw, is totally awesome.

But if I drove that little, I'd buy any halfway decent used minivan and call it good.

-W

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
  • MMM reader since '11, forum stalker since '15
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 08:53:30 AM »

TBH, if you drive that little, the EV isn't going to save you anything. It sounds like you're at <5000 (maybe way less) miles a year?

But if I drove that little, I'd buy any halfway decent used minivan and call it good.

-W

I concur. The greenest thing most people can do is buy a used, efficient gas vehicle and just drive a lot less or at least less than the average. The carmaker and American solution is to buy massive EVs that cover every eventuality so you don't have to change your behavior.

Hypocrisy check: have three kids, our only vehicle is a 15-year old Honda minivan (not so mini). Our average mileage us way up to about 8-10,000 miles a year more recently, but half or more are road trip miles (we like National Parks). Transportation costs are low. Fuel use and emissions are higher than I'd like, but we'd need $10,000/year in depreciation costs to bring that down. I'd rather donate some of that to environmental causes.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 10:07:16 AM »

-W

I concur. The greenest thing most people can do is buy a used, efficient gas vehicle and just drive a lot less or at least less than the average. The carmaker and American solution is to buy massive EVs that cover every eventuality so you don't have to change your behavior.

Hypocrisy check: have three kids, our only vehicle is a 15-year old Honda minivan (not so mini). Our average mileage us way up to about 8-10,000 miles a year more recently, but half or more are road trip miles (we like National Parks). Transportation costs are low. Fuel use and emissions are higher than I'd like, but we'd need $10,000/year in depreciation costs to bring that down. I'd rather donate some of that to environmental causes.

That's a good way of looking at it.  I work in finance/accounting, so of course I have a spreadsheet tracking my emissions and spending on fossil fuel by device.  But I realize most people think that's a little crazy.  It probably is.

The most intuitive approach for most is to look at how much money they're spending on hydrocarbons (directly or through a utility) and find ways to spend less on that.

If someone is spending $7,000/yr on gasoline, they should really look at the most viable option to stop spending that.  Buying an EV or driving less would make a lot of sense.  It's less relevant for people spending $500/yr on gasoline.

Utilities are similar, although maybe pay attention to how much renewables are in your electricity mix.  If you're spending $5k/yr on heating oil, an air source heat pump is probably a great deal for you.  If you're in Florida and your annual heating bill is $0-$100, there's very little benefit in an hvac changeover.  If you spend $2,500/yr on electricity on a mostly fossil-fuel grid, finding a way to add solar (direct or through community solar) would have a big impact.  If you're like my dad and spend less than $300/yr on electricity (he goes as far as unplugging anything with a digital clock), solar probably won't make that much of a difference.

While this approach does ignore the differing emissions intensity of each technology, it's easy to understand and implement. 

MaggieD

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2024, 06:54:54 AM »
Congratulations on the last new addition and one coming!

Have you checked out the multimac?  They make what’s essentially a 4-across car seat setup for certain cars.  I saw people wishing we had that option in the US when I was doing my own car seat research recently.  It might help to open up car options a bit?