Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup October 7 - 14, 2022  (Read 40649 times)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Magical MOAB Meetup October 7 - 14, 2022
« on: January 28, 2022, 03:03:40 PM »
Yep, let's do this* again!!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: (updated 3/9/22)

It's ON!!!

October 7 - 14 (or any portion of that that works for you!) 2022

Sun Outdoors Moab Downtown

The direct number is 877-415-3991. Do NOT select the reservations option. You want option 2 for the actual location, which is now called Sun Outdoors Moab Downtown.  (Thanks, Dicey!)

Please make your own reservation--either at this campground or at a hotel of your choice.  Most attendees will be at this campground.  It has a variety of sites and cabins.  And we will most likely have nightly campfires!

Scroll through the nice photos and then read more about what kind of meetup this is, and what kind it isn't.

Hope you will join us!!

Right now, I can only specify the month.  And I am guessing that we will aim for mid-month.  Not too hot, not too cold, not too many Utah families heading for Moab for their Fall Break.  Keep checking this thread for updates as we get closer to October!

Here are a few pictures to whet your appetite!

Did you spot the MMMer in the first picture??

* What is "this", you might wonder?

This is a Very Informal MMM meetup, with no set structure, no organized talks or presentations--just socializing/recreating.  We have done this three times (2018, 2019, and 2021), and activities have included hiking (in Moab, in Arches, and in the Needles district of Canyonlands), biking, strolling (in downtown Moab), jet boating, ukulele playing, eating (at restaurants, at campsites, at campfires (think s'mores....)), drinking (anywhere, anytime!), viewing dinosaur tracks, watching paragliders, gazing at ancient rock art, watching very tricked out Jeeps crawling on crazy "roads", swimming, and napping.  (What did I forget?)  And yes, occasionally, discussions about taxes or IRAs have popped up.  We are MMMers after all!

We have used this campground in the past, and it seems to work fairly well.  It is a 5 minute walk to City Market; close-ish to hotels, shops and restaurants; has sites for tents, vans, RVs, and cabins; allows NO generators; and is surprisingly quiet for being right in town (except on Friday nights when the high school football games are LOUD!!).  You are certainly welcome to stay elsewhere (other campgrounds, stealthily in your rig, or in a hotel), but campfires will happen each evening at the Moab MMM HQ campground and you won't want to miss them!

Please make your own reservations.  The Canyonlands RV Resort and Campground has had a very generous cancellation policy in the past, but double check that as the policy could always change.  Be aware that Moab gets super busy, so if you have any interest in this meetup, you'll want to make reservations well in advance.

Batsignaling a few folks, many of whom I hope are interested...  And please help spread the word!  Putting some info in your signature always helps!

@Daisy
@Dr Kidstache
@plugging away
@YK-Phil
@maizefolk
@avrex
@shadowmoss
@WorkingToUnwind
@happy
@deborah
@gatortator
@ToTheMoon
@cangelosibrown
@dizzy
@GreenEggs
@Longwaytogo
@Le Poisson
@2Saving4Life
@CanuckExpat
@LifeHappens
@oneday
@Dicey
@Embok
@Jon_Snow
@Cannot Wait!
@MoseyingAlong
@Adventine
@EngineeringFI
@boarder42
@Chaplin
@spartana
@Ladychips
@meadow lark
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 10:19:15 AM by NinetyFour »

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: MOAB Meetup October 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 06:13:01 PM »
I’m gonna try!  I’ll be looking for others who are flying in to whatever is the closest airport to rent a car together.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 06:35:43 PM »
I'm likely in figuring out family logistics of a 14 hour one way road trip

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 06:40:38 PM »
I’m gonna try!  I’ll be looking for others who are flying in to whatever is the closest airport to rent a car together.

Glad you are interested!

In the past, some folks have flown into Salt Lake City.  Grand Junction, CO would be another possibility (shorter drive to Moab from there).  I believe Delta flies to GJ--and probably other airlines, too.

I'm likely in figuring out family logistics of a 14 hour one way road trip

Glad you are planning on it!  That's a heckuva drive!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 07:00:17 PM »
Yeahhh Moab 2022!

I and my husband are definitely open to the idea, but we'll need specific dates to know for sure if we can commit or not :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 07:56:57 PM »
Will 2022 be the year I make it too Moab? I'm not ready to commit yet but I'd really like to think so.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 08:41:15 PM »
I'm so flattered to be tagged.  I'm one of the cool kids!

Have no idea if I can make it but will be following the thread closely!!

ToTheMoon

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 09:49:18 PM »
Are you guys going to let me across the border this time? And will my peoples let me back in?

You know I am there again if I am able! (and I will remember to zip up my tent fully whilst we are out hiking so that I do not have 5lbs of fine sand blow into my sleeping bag again. That was a very exfoliating night!) :D

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 09:49:49 PM »
It’s about a four hour drive from Salt Lake City to Moab, over some gnarly mountains if it snows, as it did on us this past year. 

In 2022, we plan to do the Moab meetup, but to fly into Grand Junction for a shorter drive. 

We also will probably stay in a hotel rather than camp. The campground is very nice if you have a rig, but if you are not particularly outdoorsy and need to get up and to plumbing in the middle of the night, it can seem a longish and darkish trek from a cabin to the bathrooms.

@NinetyFour makes the most amazing campfires!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 10:16:50 PM »

It me? The background looks familiar...

Last year's meet up was a very fun time. A great opportunity to meet our illustrious leader in this venture, and other very cool MMM people! I love that it was Dicey's first MMMetup and she's a convert...the MMM people are just that great!

All that, in a spectacular landscape. Wow, I had no idea.

Toying with the idea of renting a cabin and freeing up cargo space for my bike! Or flying in and renting a car. Either way, would be open to sharing the cabin or car rental. @meadow lark , @Embok , anyone else?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 11:43:27 PM »
That was my guess @oneday. Here's an easier one...

We're officially raising our hands, just like this. Moab 2022, here we come!

Oh and @boarder42, it's about a 14 hour drive for us, too. 100% worth it.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 11:43:42 PM »
Are families with young kids something that would fit into this meetup? We are still working, However, being Coloradans, we are only a few hours away and it looks fun!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:46:04 PM by innkeeper77 »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 04:22:07 AM »

Oh I love moab just not sure our 2 and 4 year old would enjoy the road trip. We did one to Michigan last year and we'll do that again this year so we'll use that as a guage

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 06:05:33 AM »
I'm a probably.  Car camping again.  Following to find out the dates.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 08:34:41 AM »
Will 2022 be the year I make it too Moab? I'm not ready to commit yet but I'd really like to think so.

My thoughts as well, although I've looking at an order of magnitude shorter trip so would have far less of an understandable reason to miss it.

Looks great!

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2022, 09:21:44 AM »
@innkeeper:   Unlike the more formal Mustachian camps, the Moab meetup is small, and there is no formal agenda.  So I think you could make it family friendly.

Last October those of us who attended coordinated certain activities, notably an all day trip to Arches National park and a tailgated lunch, an afternoon exploring Moab and having coffee, some visits to see petroglyphs and other smaller groups went hiking.  We met around a  campfire in the evening.  Everyone also felt free to head off and do their own thing for a while — biking, hiking or strolling.  My DH and I went on a jet boat tour, which was great fun. Moab offers many activities that ideally would be booked ahead. 

Several of us attended a street fair and a very nice art show which highlighted paintings done by an artists who biked across America — his wife was there, telling stories about their trip — she was his support team.  We ate a couple of takeout dinners together, but mostly did our own thing for breakfast and lunch due to different schedules and food preferences.

The campground itself has a small playground for children, which we saw being enjoyed. The town is a quaint and rather touristy small town.  It is pleasant to walk around. There may be other places, like parks, where kids can play — not sure but there is a lot about Moab online.  Of course the big draw is the fantastic local rocks and natural beauty.

We have a 26 year old who loves the outdoors and camps and rock climbs with her BF, so we are thinking about bringing them along in 2022 — they’d love it.

Bottom line, the vibe is relaxed, and you can join others in the group or not for any particular activity.  My DH and I were the least outdoorsy people there, and we are not hikers, and I’d recently sprained an ankle that was still wonky, so for parts of the Arches Park day, we drove the small group but sometimes the gazelles among us went off hiking and we enjoyed the scenery from the car.  The group was tolerant of our limitations.  It was a very nice, very relaxed day, with some very silly humor.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 09:32:08 AM »
Are families with young kids something that would fit into this meetup? We are still working, However, being Coloradans, we are only a few hours away and it looks fun!

Still talking to my wife but if we come it will likely be with a 2 and 4 year old

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2022, 04:42:47 PM »
I would love to do this.  DH and I drove from Detroit to Phoenix via Grand Junction and Moab in 2010.  Arches and the drive on Highway 128 along the Colorado River were highlights of the trip.

The dates look iffy for me, but I'll PTF!

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 06:20:10 PM »
It looks like an 11 hour drive to me, but depending on the pandemic and other things, I'm a definite maybe. I'd have to break up the trip in Las Vegas.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 09:32:21 PM »
PTF! It's close to 20 h drive from home, but we hope to be in CO at some point, maybe in October, then it'll be possible! I haven't been to Moab since grad school.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2022, 12:05:40 PM »
Wow, great to be mentioned with such a great group of desert appreciators. 😊

Pretty tough to figure out what the state of the world will be in October - especially the cross border travel situation - but I will definitely keep this event in mind as the year progresses.

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2022, 05:27:33 PM »
So uh, that's "only" a three day drive from Toronto. Huh.

Edit to add map: https://goo.gl/maps/88eAXBk8VVCgeHNH7

... And because I need to know if I'd have to share a tent with @Jon_Snow.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 05:30:04 PM by Le Poisson »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2022, 01:10:34 PM »
Maybe *this* will be the year Moonpie and I finally get a chance to rent a campervan and tour the southwest for a couple weeks. I will be following this thread.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »
Wow--I'm very pleased to see this much interest!!  At this rate, we may have to book the whole campground!

Yeahhh Moab 2022!

I and my husband are definitely open to the idea, but we'll need specific dates to know for sure if we can commit or not :)

Yay--I'm glad you are interested!  I'd like to wait until school calendars in Utah are posted for Fall 2022 before I select specific dates.  Not sure when that will happen...

I'd like to think so, too!  That would be AWESOME!!

I'm so flattered to be tagged.  I'm one of the cool kids!

:D

Have no idea if I can make it but will be following the thread closely!!

Glad you'll be following!

Are you guys going to let me across the border this time? And will my peoples let me back in?

YES and YES!!

You know I am there again if I am able! (and I will remember to zip up my tent fully whilst we are out hiking so that I do not have 5lbs of fine sand blow into my sleeping bag again. That was a very exfoliating night!) :D

I promise to paddle board with you this year, as long as the water isn't choppy!!

It’s about a four hour drive from Salt Lake City to Moab, over some gnarly mountains if it snows, as it did on us this past year. 

In 2022, we plan to do the Moab meetup, but to fly into Grand Junction for a shorter drive. 

We also will probably stay in a hotel rather than camp. The campground is very nice if you have a rig, but if you are not particularly outdoorsy and need to get up and to plumbing in the middle of the night, it can seem a longish and darkish trek from a cabin to the bathrooms.

@NinetyFour makes the most amazing campfires!

I'm thrilled that you and Mr. Embok want to make a return visit!  It's totally fine for you to stay in a hotel, if that's where you'll be more comfortable.  But I sure hope that someone else will book Cabin #94!!!

It me? The background looks familiar...

Last year's meet up was a very fun time. A great opportunity to meet our illustrious leader in this venture, and other very cool MMM people! I love that it was Dicey's first MMMetup and she's a convert...the MMM people are just that great!

All that, in a spectacular landscape. Wow, I had no idea.

Toying with the idea of renting a cabin and freeing up cargo space for my bike! Or flying in and renting a car. Either way, would be open to sharing the cabin or car rental. @meadow lark , @Embok , anyone else?

Yep--it you in that picture!!  I think you had memorized the 50 states in alphabetical order while hiking to that point!  There might be a quiz in October...

If you do book a cabin, you might see if #94 is available!

I'm so glad you are interesting in joining the fun again!!  I always enjoy your company.

Nice photo!!  :)

Yay--this means all the attendees from last year want to come back again!  I think that's a measure of success!!

Absolutely!  We have had young children at one of our past Moab meetups, and it was great!  As Embok mentioned, the campground does have a nice looking playground.  It also has an outdoor pool.

It would be nice to meet another MMMer from the Centennial State!

Oh I love moab just not sure our 2 and 4 year old would enjoy the road trip. We did one to Michigan last year and we'll do that again this year so we'll use that as a guage

I'd love to meet any representatives from the boarder42 family!

I'm a probably.  Car camping again.  Following to find out the dates.

Sounds good!

My thoughts as well, although I've looking at an order of magnitude shorter trip so would have far less of an understandable reason to miss it.

Looks great!

Glad you are interested!

@innkeeper:   Unlike the more formal Mustachian camps, the Moab meetup is small, and there is no formal agenda.  So I think you could make it family friendly.

Last October those of us who attended coordinated certain activities, notably an all day trip to Arches National park and a tailgated lunch, an afternoon exploring Moab and having coffee, some visits to see petroglyphs and other smaller groups went hiking.  We met around a  campfire in the evening.  Everyone also felt free to head off and do their own thing for a while — biking, hiking or strolling.  My DH and I went on a jet boat tour, which was great fun. Moab offers many activities that ideally would be booked ahead. 

Several of us attended a street fair and a very nice art show which highlighted paintings done by an artists who biked across America — his wife was there, telling stories about their trip — she was his support team.  We ate a couple of takeout dinners together, but mostly did our own thing for breakfast and lunch due to different schedules and food preferences.

The campground itself has a small playground for children, which we saw being enjoyed. The town is a quaint and rather touristy small town.  It is pleasant to walk around. There may be other places, like parks, where kids can play — not sure but there is a lot about Moab online.  Of course the big draw is the fantastic local rocks and natural beauty.

We have a 26 year old who loves the outdoors and camps and rock climbs with her BF, so we are thinking about bringing them along in 2022 — they’d love it.

Bottom line, the vibe is relaxed, and you can join others in the group or not for any particular activity.  My DH and I were the least outdoorsy people there, and we are not hikers, and I’d recently sprained an ankle that was still wonky, so for parts of the Arches Park day, we drove the small group but sometimes the gazelles among us went off hiking and we enjoyed the scenery from the car.  The group was tolerant of our limitations.  It was a very nice, very relaxed day, with some very silly humor.

Thanks for sharing those thoughts, Embok. 

I'll add a little something for possible introverts, especially if they are starting to get anxious about a possibly large-ish meetup.  As Embok said, the vibe is definitely quite chill.  There really haven't ever been organized activities.  Usually, one or two people come up with ideas in the evening, throw them out to the group, and then people can decide to join in or do something else the next day.  Everything is totally optional, so if someone needs to sleep in one morning or needs some recharge solo time after a group hike, that's totally cool!  Even the campfires are optional, but they are fun and you really don't want to miss out on Dicey's s'mores.

Still talking to my wife but if we come it will likely be with a 2 and 4 year old

I'm glad you are still talking to your wife.  ;-)

I would love to do this.  DH and I drove from Detroit to Phoenix via Grand Junction and Moab in 2010.  Arches and the drive on Highway 128 along the Colorado River were highlights of the trip.

The dates look iffy for me, but I'll PTF!

Sounds great!  Glad you are interested--I'd love to meet you!

It looks like an 11 hour drive to me, but depending on the pandemic and other things, I'm a definite maybe. I'd have to break up the trip in Las Vegas.

Awesome!!  Who knows, there might be a caravan from California!

PTF! It's close to 20 h drive from home, but we hope to be in CO at some point, maybe in October, then it'll be possible! I haven't been to Moab since grad school.

Sweet!!  Although you might be slightly horrified at how much Moab has changed....

Wow, great to be mentioned with such a great group of desert appreciators. 😊

Pretty tough to figure out what the state of the world will be in October - especially the cross border travel situation - but I will definitely keep this event in mind as the year progresses.

Agreed--my crystal ball isn't working, either.  But I am hopeful.

I'm glad you will keep this meetup in mind.  You would absolutely love the hiking/bike riding/paddle boarding/scenery.

So uh, that's "only" a three day drive from Toronto. Huh.

Edit to add map: https://goo.gl/maps/88eAXBk8VVCgeHNH7

... And because I need to know if I'd have to share a tent with @Jon_Snow.

I had to share a room with him at CMTO, and I survived.  Barely.

Maybe Probably *this* will be the year Moonpie and I finally get a chance to rent a campervan and tour the southwest for a couple weeks. I will be following this thread.

Fixed it for you.

YAY!!!!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2022, 04:04:16 PM »
One other thing to throw into the mix...

Canyonlands (Needles district) has three (I think) group campsites.  They can be reserved 6 months in advance.  I am toying with the idea of booking one of them for three or four nights--either prior to the Moab meetup or afterwards.  If it turns out that I don't get a lot of MMMers who are interested, I could throw it open to friends in my town.

Camping in Needles is amazing.  The hiking is spectacular.  The night sky is incredible.

Be aware that there are no showers at this campground.  But there are sinks and flush toilets.

At a nearby private campground, there are showers, so I think that if you were desperate, you could drive there and pay for a shower.

When we get closer to April, I'll ask for a show of hands to see how many folks might be interested in this.  You could do this plus the Moab meetup or do one or the other.  It's all good.

Needles is about a 1 hour drive from downtown Moab.

And, I have been to Needles a million times, so if you have questions about it, feel free to ask.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2022, 04:24:33 PM »
One other thing to throw into the mix...

Canyonlands (Needles district) has three (I think) group campsites.  They can be reserved 6 months in advance.  I am toying with the idea of booking one of them for three or four nights--either prior to the Moab meetup or afterwards.  If it turns out that I don't get a lot of MMMers who are interested, I could throw it open to friends in my town.

Camping in Needles is amazing.  The hiking is spectacular.  The night sky is incredible.

Be aware that there are no showers at this campground.  But there are sinks and flush toilets.

At a nearby private campground, there are showers, so I think that if you were desperate, you could drive there and pay for a shower.

When we get closer to April, I'll ask for a show of hands to see how many folks might be interested in this.  You could do this plus the Moab meetup or do one or the other.  It's all good.

Needles is about a 1 hour drive from downtown Moab.

And, I have been to Needles a million times, so if you have questions about it, feel free to ask.

We've been to Moab 2x and skipped needles both times but want to make it the next time we go.

Not surprised this is such a hit with the crew from the last meetup. This city is awesome

Also want to make it up to dead horse haven't done that yet either

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2022, 04:30:57 PM »
We're probably booking a cabin to make it simpler with the kids so when you firm up dates let us know. I'll get it booked if cancelling is easy.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2022, 08:08:28 PM »
Pardon me, Miss Eleanor Rigby would like to make sure that her kind are welcome in the group campsites. If so, she is definitely in. We loved our time in Needles and know there is so much more to explore, especially with such an experienced guide.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2022, 08:53:37 PM »
We've been to Moab 2x and skipped needles both times but want to make it the next time we go.

Not surprised this is such a hit with the crew from the last meetup. This city is awesome

Also want to make it up to dead horse haven't done that yet either

I love love love Needles.

I really need to spend some time at Dead Horse Point State Park as well.  I think (but I'll check on this) all their camping is reservation only.

We're probably booking a cabin to make it simpler with the kids so when you firm up dates let us know. I'll get it booked if cancelling is easy.

OK.  I think a cabin would work well for you.

Pardon me, Miss Eleanor Rigby would like to make sure that her kind are welcome in the group campsites. If so, she is definitely in. We loved our time in Needles and know there is so much more to explore, especially with such an experienced guide.

I am 99% sure the answer is yes for Eleanor, but I will double check!  :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2022, 09:14:18 PM »
For anyone wanting to camp at Dead Horse State Park, it looks like it is all done by reservation.  They can be booked 4 months ahead.  I guarantee the sites will be snapped up as soon as they are available, so you'd have to act quickly (in April, sites for October will open).  Oh, and they have several yurts!!  :)

@Dicey It says on the recreation.gov site that the Needles group sites are best suited for "tents and small self-contained campers and RVs".  So this means that Eleanor is allowed there.  However, I know she has low clearance.  I plan to be out at Needles in March, so I will check on the group sites for you and see if I think Eleanor would have any problems.  :)

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2022, 04:01:55 PM »
Already planning a trip to Moab in October to float down the Colorado and ride bikes. Depending on the dates we would be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2022, 09:24:51 PM »
PTF. Depending on the dates I might be able to join, sounds fun! Thanks for the nod to introverts on the fence.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2022, 01:56:44 PM »
Thanks for calling me out! I haven't been super active on the forums lately but checked in today.

I missed Moab 2021 because I was going to do a gravel bike ride in SC in October. However, I broke my ankle in September and was in a cast for 6 weeks so I had to cancel that. They didn't refund my entry, but I get to join in for October 2022, so I will probably be doing that. However, I will stay in this loop in case those plans change. Moab would be great indeed if I didn't have that conflict.

I have been hitting the gym since my recovery since I am committed to making 2022 the year I get back fully in shape!

dizzy

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2022, 10:28:54 AM »
Yeah this is a bad time for me unfortunately.  Peak gig season for me (weddings and polka...plus in a normal year just plain venue/club gigs from people back from summer adventures or in school)

One day when I get sick of my band tho (total dysfunctional family vibes) I'll quit and could make it.  My husband and I love that area and October is dope

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2022, 10:53:48 AM »
Already planning a trip to Moab in October to float down the Colorado and ride bikes. Depending on the dates we would be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!!

Thanks for calling me out! I haven't been super active on the forums lately but checked in today.

I missed Moab 2021 because I was going to do a gravel bike ride in SC in October. However, I broke my ankle in September and was in a cast for 6 weeks so I had to cancel that. They didn't refund my entry, but I get to join in for October 2022, so I will probably be doing that. However, I will stay in this loop in case those plans change. Moab would be great indeed if I didn't have that conflict.

I have been hitting the gym since my recovery since I am committed to making 2022 the year I get back fully in shape!

Sorry to hear that you broke your ankle!  I did that a few years ago and it was NOT FUN.  And @happy recently broke hers and she was decidedly not happy about it.

Your bike trip sounds fun, but like you said, if your plans change, I hope you can make it to Moab!

Yeah this is a bad time for me unfortunately.  Peak gig season for me (weddings and polka...plus in a normal year just plain venue/club gigs from people back from summer adventures or in school)

One day when I get sick of my band tho (total dysfunctional family vibes) I'll quit and could make it.  My husband and I love that area and October is dope

Sorry that the Moab Meetup is during your busy season for you.  But if your schedule allows, we'd love to have you!  And maybe you can add to our campfire tunes!

Well, I spent some time this morning looking at Utah school district calendars.

It looks like the 6 most populous counties (up near SLC) will be on Fall Break October 13 and 14.  That is also the case for San Juan County (SE corner of the state).  However, Emery County (just to the west of Moab) and Grand County (home to Moab!!) will be on Fall Break October 20 and 21.

So this is a conundrum.  Should we avoid the weekend of Oct 15 because lots of folks from the SLC area will descend on Moab?  Or should we avoid the weekend of Oct 22 because all the local Moab families will be clogging up the trails?

Oh, and a Jeep Jamboree will take place the weekend of Oct 29, so we will DEFINITELY want to avoid that!

Suggestions?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »
I personally would rather contend with locals (Oct 22) than big city visitors. And I'm with you 100% on avoiding the Jeeps!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2022, 12:18:54 PM »
I will be busy elsewhere if it’s in October after October 15. That would be sad for me.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2022, 01:21:08 PM »
I personally would rather contend with locals (Oct 22) than big city visitors. And I'm with you 100% on avoiding the Jeeps!

Yep--and we will see plenty of Jeeps as it is!  I recall that you and Moonpie were even driving one in Moab!!  ;-)

I will be busy elsewhere if it’s in October after October 15. That would be sad for me.

I KNOW!!  And I would be sad, too.

And for that reason, maybe we should aim for the weekend of October 8.  It will be hotter, but we'd avoid both of the Fall Breaks.

For me, and some others, we needn't be limited to a weekend, but I imagine some others would prefer that our meetup include a weekend.  (Maybe not??)

So, I would say that tentative dates would be October 7 - October 13.

Don't be alarmed that the meetup is a whole week long.  Arrive/depart whenever you want to!  Remember, there is no set agenda.  It could be that only a few people are around for the first few days or last few days--it just depends on everyone's schedules.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2022, 03:57:06 PM »
Noted.  I may not make it.  There is some talk of another reunion back in KY the first weekend in October.  It might work out that I come back through.  Way too far in the future to pin down for sure.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2022, 11:05:08 PM »
You gotta figure the locals, all 5000-ish of them, may hit the road for their holidays ;-)

I have a firm commitment on October 8th at home. We could do the same thing we did last year and head east on the 9th, arriving Moab late on the 10th.

Anything after the 10th works for us.

Woo-hoo, can't wait!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2022, 12:02:32 PM »
Yep, let's do this* again!!

@Longwaytogo

Hi NinetyFour,

Thanks for thinking of me!!

I was actually just out in the desert last weekend (Vegas and Fire Valley State park). And I don't think a second solo trip is in the cards for this year. One of these days hopefully :)

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2022, 01:48:13 PM »
We floated the idea of a sleepover with grandma and she's onboard to take the kids for the week(end)!! So now it's a matter of nailing down dates and the fly/drive decision.

I'm watching eagerly for updates!

ToTheMoon

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2022, 10:30:28 PM »
Grandma said yes to us yesterday - we are ditching the kids and flying in on the 9th, departing on the 14th!  Woot woot!

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2022, 07:48:30 AM »
Grandma said yes to us yesterday - we are ditching the kids and flying in on the 9th, departing on the 14th!  Woot woot!

Woo Hoo!! TTM is a GO!

Our (current, very preliminary plan) is to drive this in 2 days, with our Pop-up camper and a (waves hands in the air) capable vehicle. We'd go Toronto to some hotel someplace near Omaha (15 hrs), then Omaha to Moab (13 hrs). Give or take a few hundred miles per day. If anyone wanted to convoy up, that may or may not be fun. I can't decide.

Last time we did trip like this, the axle fell off our trailer in Chicago, so we'll allow for some variability in our plan.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2022, 10:11:08 AM »
Our (current, very preliminary plan) is to drive this in 2 days, with our Pop-up camper and a (waves hands in the air) capable vehicle. We'd go Toronto to some hotel someplace near Omaha (15 hrs), then Omaha to Moab (13 hrs). Give or take a few hundred miles per day. If anyone wanted to convoy up, that may or may not be fun. I can't decide.

Dang, that's a long drive!! (And back :D )

How many weeks are you planning on staying in Moab? Whats the longest you've left kids with grandparents in the past.

I only mention as if something should arise being a 4 hour drive plus 4 hour flight away may be easier then a 30 hour drive. But to each thier own.

I certainly hope to road trip out there eventually but I just feel it's too far for anything less then 2-3 weeks....month+ be even better.

I wound up flying to Salt lake, renting a car and driving the 4 hours. Even doing it that way I was ~16 hours door to tent. It was tough for a 5 day trip - 3 in Moab and 2 traveling basically.

A week would be easier and improve ratio 5:2 instead of 3:2 but I've never left my wife to wrangle kids more then 5 days; 3 or 4 is really her prefrence so Moab was a stretch.

Anyway.....hope you guys can make it work :) It is pretty awesome out there!!!

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2022, 11:53:04 AM »

Dang, that's a long drive!! (And back :D )

How many weeks are you planning on staying in Moab? Whats the longest you've left kids with grandparents in the past.

I only mention as if something should arise being a 4 hour drive plus 4 hour flight away may be easier then a 30 hour drive. But to each thier own.

I certainly hope to road trip out there eventually but I just feel it's too far for anything less then 2-3 weeks....month+ be even better.

I wound up flying to Salt lake, renting a car and driving the 4 hours. Even doing it that way I was ~16 hours door to tent. It was tough for a 5 day trip - 3 in Moab and 2 traveling basically.

A week would be easier and improve ratio 5:2 instead of 3:2 but I've never left my wife to wrangle kids more then 5 days; 3 or 4 is really her prefrence so Moab was a stretch.

Anyway.....hope you guys can make it work :) It is pretty awesome out there!!!

Meh, the kids like gramma more than us, and she's cool with them. They are used to spending 5-10 days with her while we go someplace warm in the winter, so I think they'll be fine.

We've done similar road trips to the south and to the east, so I don't think a couple days across the flyover states will be too bad. The trick is to start before the sun's up and finish when there's still time to enjoy where ever you end up - even if enjoying is just a beerside swim.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2022, 05:27:56 PM »
I just booked site G4 for Oct 7 - 14.  I did not pay the $30 extra "site lock" fee, so there's a chance I will get moved to another "deluxe tent site".  (Last year, I did not pay the fee, and did not get moved, so fingers crossed.)  Actually, rumoUr has it that some young badass Canadians might be my neighboUrs, so I might request to get moved!  Or maybe they will!

Seriously, I would encourage you to make your reservations sooner rather than later.  I was surprised to see lots of sites already taken for that week.  Their cancellation policy remains quite generous:  "Nightly/Weekly Stays: No refunds are given on or after arrival. Cancellations made at least 7 days in advance will be refunded in the form that was used for payment. Deposits will be forfeited for all reservations cancelled less than seven days prior to your arrival date."

This is getting really exciting!!!

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2022, 08:02:54 PM »
I"M FREAKING OUT NOW!!!

WHICH STATE PARK????

WHERE DO I RESERVE???

WHAT IF IT"S SOLD OUT???

I Googled for "Moab State Park" and it gave me a map with like, 20 campgrounds. Up thread there's mention of Dead Horse, Needles, etc. I have no idea where I'm going except "Someplace New" so if someone can tell me where campsite G4 is, I'll just head there and hope for the best. I hear there's at least good company.

So I re-read the first post, and it looks like either sun resorts Downtown Moab, or the canyonlands one. I used my enhanced sleuthing skills and found that site G4 is in the downtown Moab location, so I suspect that is where the main camp is expected to be. Can someone confirm?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 08:21:08 PM by Le Poisson »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2022, 09:09:42 PM »
In the first message the phrase 'this campground' is a link to the campground website.  Your sleuthing is correct, the one downtown.

I have reserved G3 for Oct 7-14 placing my hopes on their generous refund policy if I can't make it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2022, 10:23:08 PM »
In the first message the phrase 'this campground' is a link to the campground website.  Your sleuthing is correct, the one downtown.

I have reserved G3 for Oct 7-14 placing my hopes on their generous refund policy if I can't make it.
Hmm, seems they've had some changes. It's now called Sun Outdoors. The website is wonky as hell, so be persistent. Also, note this big change: "Unfortunately,  we cannot allow fires at any site occupied by an RV or trailer."

Trying to reserve the same damn site we stayed in last year, but the website says our rig is too big. E RIG B is the same size she was last year. Wut??
I'll keep trying and report back.

We can't get there until the 10th, so I'm trying to book Oct. 10-17. Fingers crossed.