Author Topic: CMTO FIREscape 2024 - Sept 5 - 8  (Read 7204 times)

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
CMTO FIREscape 2024 - Sept 5 - 8
« on: January 03, 2024, 09:37:42 AM »
Happy New Year Everyone!

It's time to crack open that fresh 2024 planner to September, and put a big star on Sept 5- 8 2024 - That's right, Camp Mustache Toronto will be returning for four days of fun, friendship, and finance.

Registration for Camp Mustache Toronto FIREscape opens on April 15, 2024 at 0800 EDT

What is Camp Mustache Toronto FIREscape?
The Sixth annual CMTO FIREscape will have FOUR days of fun, friends and finances -- meals, presentations and activities are all included in the registration fee! Camp Mustache events are community-run, not-for-profit, not-for-prophet, inclusive, and nature-conscious.  Attendees come from across the globe and from every corner of the FIRE internet. All attendees including the organising committee and all speakers pay the same price and participate as equals in the discussion.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 09:39:56 AM by Le Poisson »

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
Re: CMTO FIREscape 2024 - Sept 5 - 8
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 10:05:56 AM »
For folks who need more details - the camp venue will be one we used previously, a little over an hour east of Toronto. Previously we have had space for about 60 people at this venue. We are currently working on capacity and whatnot. The event will run from Thursday morning through Sunday lunch, and include everything except alcohol (if you should choose to bring some) and snacks (folks usually bring snacks to share).

We don't have a lot of other details this early, but Momma has already told me that the theme will not be "Band Camp" even though I had tonnes of ideas - all of which would have been approved by our boys, but maybe not by our guests.

please use this thread to post questions, answers, excitement and all the other things. I will update the first post often, so do check back!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 10:38:50 AM »
For folks who need more details - the camp venue will be one we used previously, a little over an hour east of Toronto. Previously we have had space for about 60 people at this venue. We are currently working on capacity and whatnot. The event will run from Thursday morning through Sunday lunch, and include everything except alcohol (if you should choose to bring some) and snacks (folks usually bring snacks to share).

We don't have a lot of other details this early, but Momma has already told me that the theme will not be "Band Camp" even though I had tonnes of ideas - all of which would have been approved by our boys, but maybe not by our guests.

please use this thread to post questions, answers, excitement and all the other things. I will update the first post often, so do check back!

The camp feeling is the best, whoo!

We need a whiteboard for impromptus activites this year!

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 10:56:16 AM »
The camp feeling is the best, whoo!

We need a whiteboard for impromptus activites this year!

Oh! This reminds me I need to reach out to @BiochemicalDJ to see if we should make his dance party an official agenda item, or keep it underground.

CathMsMustache

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 01:31:07 PM »
I have set the alarm for tomorrow morning for signup day :)
I sent an email to the campmustachetoronto@gmail.com address, so am hoping I will get a link to the signup page.  Anyway, I will be watching this page in the morning!
*I am not on facebook or other social media*

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 09:41:08 PM »
Hi @CathMsMustache and fellow campers!

I got an e-mail this evening, with an update that camp registration is Monday April 22 at 8am.  So you can set your alarm clock for one week later and sleep in tomorrow!

CathMsMustache

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 05:30:50 AM »
Thank you Okits!  I received the email as well.

MrsProspector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 05:35:21 AM »
Hello Campers!

We've been working hard to get all the details for CMTO ready for registration to begin today, but there are a few ducks that won't get in a row, and one wild squirrel.  Registration instead will begin NEXT Monday, April 22, at 8am... pending what happens with that dang squirrel.

Next Monday when Registration opens, all potential campers will receive an email that contains the registration link. You'd be nuts not to open it.

Best,
 the CMTO FIREscape leadership team

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 10:45:42 AM »
Something to keep us busy while we wait. Patiently, of course.

It may be paywalled, but if you subscribe or can get around it, the gold is in the comments.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/04/11/travel/things-to-do-toronto.html

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 12:04:21 PM »

It may be paywalled, but if you subscribe or can get around it, the gold is in the comments.

Can't get past the paywall, but I tell EVERYONE to visit the Bata Shoe Museum. Its AMAZING!

I have never been to the shoe museum. I really should go sometime.

CathMsMustache

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 02:34:40 PM »
Toronto island!  It's a whole different world.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 06:08:41 PM »
Toronto island!  It's a whole different world.
Indeed! I was actually there when Air France Flight 358 crashed at YYZ.

MrsProspector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 12:22:44 PM »
Camp Mustache Toronto (CMTO) “FIREscape”

Break out that calendar and put a big star on April 15, 2024  April 22, 2024 - Registration for Camp Mustache Toronto FIREscape opens on April 22, 2024 at 0800 EDT, Sharp! You likely need all the details… Well, keep on reading, ‘cause we’ve got ‘em all! 

What is Camp Mustache Toronto FIREscape?
This will be the sixth edition of CMTO FIREscape, with FOUR days of fun, friends and finances. Everything is included - meals, presentations, activities, campfires, beach activities… it’s all bundled into your registration fee!

Camp Mustache events are community-run, not-for-profit, not-for-prophet, inclusive, and nature-conscious.  Attendees come from across the globe and from every corner of the FIRE community. All attendees including the leadership team and all speakers pay the same price and participate as equals in the discussion.

Why come to Camp?
Have you been on the FIRE path for a while?  Great! Come to camp to share and learn from people who are farther along on this journey. 
What’s life really like post-FIRE? We’ll have folks with those answers!
Need a Nudge to dive deeper? Want hacks to save more? There’s so much to learn at camp!
Camp Mustache Toronto - CMTO FIREscape is a grass-roots camp.  The presentations come from the attendees who register.Let us know if you would like to be a presenter!

What will we do all day? Will Mr. Money Mustache be there?
Camp Mustache starts the morning of Thursday. September 5 and ends at lunchtime on Sunday, September 8th. Although we can’t discount for missed days, some folks arrive late

There will be both financial and non-financial sessions for everyone. All presentations and sessions are led by community members - including you! If you have something you would love to speak about, please reach out to the leadership team if you would like to lead a session or have a request for a topic.

The purpose of Camp Mustache events is to interact with the Mustachian community, not Mr. Money Mustache. Mr. Money Mustache is busy doing squats, carpentering, and living a brilliant retired life thousands of miles away in Colorado.

When is it?
Camp Mustache Toronto FIREscape is September 5-8 2024

Where is Camp Mustache Toronto held?
The camp property (all 350 acres!) is used as a children’s camp in the summer, and a forest school in the winter.  It is a little over an hour northeast of Toronto Airport, or 4 hours southwest of the Ottawa airport. The nearest American airports are Buffalo and Watertown, which are about a 3 hour drive. Saturday activities include Low Ropes, Canoeing, Paddleboarding, and Kayaking.  The property offers trails, art space, fire rings, and everything you would expect at a camper’s camp.

The property is beautiful, and we really think you will love it - however we want you to know that it is really a kids camp. If you’ve been to a kid’s summer camp and stayed in camper cabins or bunkhouses, you should have a good idea of what to expect. There will be frogs in the fields, fish in the lake, and firepits to gather around. Your room will be shared with about 4-5 other campers.

For security reasons, the actual venue location will only be released to ticket holders.

How Much Will Camp Mustache Toronto cost?
Tickets for camp will be $400CAD - Note that this event fee is non refundable, and non-transferable after July 1.

There is a child rate of $200 per accompanied child (between 5-14 yrs old) which assumes that each child shares space with their adult caregiver. If you are bringing more children than adults, the full adult fee will apply for each additional child.

The ticket cost includes everything. You just need to bring your clothes and a sleeping bag. But wait… there’s more! If you don’t have room in your luggage for a sleeping bag, those are available to rent from the camp’s supply for a small fee.

While we expect this event will run, and is in a safe, responsible venue, we cannot guarantee what the future holds. This event is entirely volunteer run and not-for-profit.  If the event cannot run for reasons beyond our control (disaster, pandemic closures, other situations beyond our control), we will recoup what funds we can from vendors and distribute it to the ticket holders.  No refund is guaranteed, ticket sales are final, and we do not allow tickets to be reassigned after July 1.

How do I get a ticket?
CMTO FIREscape tickets will be sold via lottery this year. Watch for the signup email on April 22nd to enter the lottery. If you are fortunate enough to get a spot, we will reach out to you with confirmation.

As soon as your registration is confirmed, send payment to secure your spot, and we’ll fluff up your mattress and turn the lights on.

What payment options exist?
Payment options will be detailed in the forthcoming registration email, however, the most likely will be via bank transfer (Canadians) or PayPal (all participants). Some payment methods may have fees.

How many people are coming?
We have 65 available spots.  CMTO has always sold out quickly, generally right after registration opens.This year, we have slightly reduced spaces in order to create a more intimate camp experience for all participants.

Who Can come?
Whoever gets a ticket – All are welcome!  Lottery Entry opens on April 15, 2024 April 22, 2024 at 0800EDT and successful registrants will receive an email with lottery registration instructions. If you win the lottery, watch your email for payment/confirmation instructions. Stay tuned to this thread for more info. Your space is only guaranteed once your ticket payment is received.

Can I bring my Spouse/Kids?
If you buy them a ticket, yes they can come. All adults pay the same rate.  Children’s tickets (5 - 14 years) are available for $200 with a paying adult (one child per adult - additional children will be charged the full rate) .  Children will be assigned a top bunk, you may want to bring a pack n play for small ones

Can I bring my dog?
No. The venue strictly prohibits dogs on the property. Please leave them at home or at a local kennel.

What is included in the registration fee?
4 days and 3 nights at CMTO FIREscape including meals and all presentations, participation in the world famous Volley-Hockey-Ball tournament, Swag, an afternoon of watersports, and a pile of great conversation and story sharing.

What are the presentations?
The CMTO FIREscape Leadership Team members are currently planning the sessions and presentations –  please reach out if you have an idea for a topic or speaker.   There will be topics of general interest to Mustachians, as well as "Core subject matter" such as financials, careers, and post-RE lifestyle.  There will be sessions geared to those new to FIRE as well as those farther along in their FIRE journey.

If you can moderate a discussion group, or are interested in sharing a topic, we encourage you to let us know. We are really hoping for some new voices this year.

Meals
The camp runs as a children’s camp all summer, and is accustomed to accommodating a variety of dietary restrictions.  Camp is tree nut / peanut aware, and can accommodate vegan, vegetarian, celiac, and gluten free diets.  You’ll be asked for dietary restrictions when you register, and we will do our best to accommodate you.  If, however, you would prefer to bring your own meals and/or snacks, as long as you don’t bring, say, a jar of peanut butter, outside food is welcome. 

Alcohol
We have secured a liquor licence for the weekend, so alcohol is permitted. Please bring your drinks in cans only, know your limit, and don’t be a jerk.

More questions? 
Ask away by reply email or to the social media accounts below.

We're so excited to be planning our sixth Camp Mustache - FIREscape Toronto Weekend! Come and join us!

All the best,
CMTO FIREscape Leadership Team
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 01:05:04 PM by MrsProspector »

elaine amj

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 07:13:35 PM »

I somehow managed to get behind the paywall. Phew - those comments took quite a while to go through!

Lots of places in Toronto I have yet to see, despite visiting regularly for over 20 years. I fall into a rut of visiting family and only seeing grocery stores and the same restaurants.

That said, Bata shoe museum was so much fun (I like history) and quirky - I was pretty impressed.

The Toronto Islands are really something unique. Took me over 20 years of visiting Toronto to finally make it over there for a short visit. I’d go back. Something a bit fascinating about walking around the manicured parks and beaches of 15 islands a quick ferry ride from the heart of Downtown Toronto.

For some reason, I am thoroughly fascinated with the underground PATH system. Very unique to Toronto. I just wish it was marketed better (it’s not promoted much to tourists) with better maps highlighting the attractions. Still trying to figure out where the entrance to the  awesome musical stairs we discovered one year is. (I have forgotten). DD and Mom had a blast running up and down the stairs playing the “piano”. Another year I stumbled across a lunchtime concert. And then this year all I found were blank corridors and boring destinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsProspector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2024, 06:01:45 AM »
Registration for Camp Mustache Toronto - CMTO FIREscape is now open!  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pVxaV7vxCdfzVw63S_pGUE2kddcXInnNMPU1L1cfc0c/viewform?edit_requested=true

ToTheMoon

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2024, 05:15:18 PM »
When do the golden tickets start going out? (Ie. When is the draw?)

Le Poisson

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 08:50:58 AM »
When do the golden tickets start going out? (Ie. When is the draw?)

The draw is on Friday, then Mrs Prosp will send out the winner/standby email

MrsProspector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2024, 08:51:20 AM »
Emails have gone out, and payments are starting to come in - everyone who registered for the lottery received an email advising if they won the lottery or are on the standby list.  If you didn't receive an email, please let me know!

CathMsMustache

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2024, 12:50:25 PM »
Don't forget to check the spam filter, like I did!
(Doh)
:)

MrsProspector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2024, 10:28:07 AM »
If you provided your forum name when you registered, you are now added to the secret forum - scroll waaayyyy to the bottom of the page, and please post an introduction there :)