Author Topic: Camp Mustache Midwest CM*MW - Cincinnati, OH 5/3-5/5/2024  (Read 5726 times)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Camp Mustache Midwest CM*MW - Cincinnati, OH 5/3-5/5/2024
« on: August 29, 2023, 05:14:19 PM »
Edit: The waitlist for cancels is now closed as we make our final preparations for camp. We hope you can join us at CMMW 2025 or that we may meet at another Camp Mustache event, like CMTO this fall.

What is Camp Mustache Midwest?
Camp Mustache Midwest (or CM*MW) is three days of fun, friends, and finances, held outside Cincinnati, OH, from May 3rd-5th, 2024! Two nights’ accommodations and all meals, presentations, and activities are included in the $200 registration fee!

Camp Mustache events are community-run, not-for-profit, not-for-prophet, inclusive, and nature-conscious. CM attendees come from across the globe and from every corner of the FIRE internet. All attendees including the organizing committee and all speakers pay the same price and participate as equals in the discussion.

What will we do all day? Will Mr. Money Mustache speak at CM*MW?
Camp Mustache starts the morning of Friday, May 3rd and goes through lunchtime on Sunday, May 5th, with optional outings before and after occurring away from the venue.

There will be both financial and non-financial sessions for all experience levels. All presentations and sessions are led by community members - including you, dear reader! The CM*MW organizing committee is currently planning the sessions. We would love to have you on the agenda! Please reach out if you would like to lead a session or have a request for a topic.

The purpose of Camp Mustache events is to interact with the Mustachian community, not Mr. Money Mustache. Mr. Money Mustache is busy doing squats, carpentering, and living a brilliant retired life thousands of miles away in Colorado.

Why come to CM*MW?
Don’t know a Roth from a wrench? Come to camp and learn how to put the building blocks of FIRE in place in your life from other people who are making it happen today.
Are your friends really tired of hearing you rant about buy-it-for-life? Come to camp and make new friends who understand the FIRE way of life.
Have you walked many miles down the FIRE path? Come to camp and share your knowledge with your fellow FIRE folk, and deepen your connection to the FI community.

Where is CM*MW held?
Camp Mustache Midwest is held in a rustic outdoor camp setting. For security reasons, the venue name and address will be released only to ticket holders.

Camp Mustache Midwest is physically located in southwest Ohio, outside Cincinnati. You can drive there with your car, or if you’re flying in from further away the camp is 50 minutes from DAY, 60 minutes from CVG, and 105 minutes from CMH.

Please carpool if you are able! Confirmed attendees organize carpools from nearby cities and airports in a dedicated app and on facebook and the private subforum.

What will staying at CM*MW be like?
Our venue provides rustic cabins and common buildings surrounded by sports fields, a scenic river, woods, and hiking trails. The venue will feed and house us, and will also provide us with opportunities for badass fitness and naturey enrichment like high ropes, archery, gaga, foraging, and an always-popular campfire each night.

Each rustic cabin sports a front room, two large bunkrooms, and two shared bathrooms. Cabins are climate-controlled. As part of registration you can indicate friends (of any gender) you would like to room with, or let us know you would like to be assigned to a single-gender cabin. You can also let us know any dietary needs that our venue will need to accommodate.

You may also make your own arrangements to stay offsite, such as at a nearby hotel, campground, or AirBnB. An offsite or ‘day ticket’ registration includes access to all activities but is still full price, as the cost to the camp is little different.

Can I bring my family?
Yes! We encourage you to bring your partner if you are both interested in learning more about the FIRE world!

We are also happy to again host children of all ages at camp! Children 5 and younger can attend camp for free, while older children can attend with a paid registration. However, no child-specific programming is planned at this time.

Just make sure to complete the pre-registration once for each attendee (see below for more).

How does registration work?
We are targeting 75 attendees for CM*MW 2024. The pre-registration list closed on Sept 14th. (Please note that Camp Mustache events generally fill soon after registration opens.) When you pre-register, you will indicate food and cabin preferences, as well as whether you would like to lead a session.

We contacted provisional attendees on September 15th. These provisional attendees have until September 19th to pay their $200 per person registration fee to claim their spots at camp. We prefer payment in USD via Paypal but can likely accommodate other services and currencies. Provisional attendees who do not pay by September 19th will have their spots offered to someone else.

If you found out about camp too late or otherwise don’t get on the list in time, we will do our best to accommodate you by matching you up with a registered attendee who needs to cancel. Conversely, we are unable to offer refunds if the camp goes forward, so if a conflict comes up, the best route forward is to sell your ticket at face value to an interested camper. We will lock down attendance one month before camp; after that time, if you buy a secondhand ticket, you may not be able to change dietary or cabin preferences.

What should I bring? Can I bring food, alcohol, and my dog?
We will provide confirmed attendees with a complete packing list.

Outside food is allowed. However, please be very careful to ensure any outside food you bring is nut-free so that our venue can offer a safe experience to children with nut allergies after we are gone.

Alcohol is not allowed at our venue. Alcohol has been permitted by other Camp Mustache events but our venue is unable to accommodate this. Do not bring or consume any alcoholic beverages at CM*MW.

Pets are not allowed.

How is CM*MW dealing with COVID? What happens if the pandemic worsens?
We request that all attendees are fully vaccinated before attending camp, but will not verify vaccination status. If you are not vaccinated we request that you look after the health of your fellow attendees by exercising extreme diligence in wearing a mask and physically distancing yourself whenever possible.

If we are unable to hold Camp Mustache, we will communicate options to our registered attendees, likely including pushing registration over to the following year or a partial refund (offset by any event costs already incurred).

If we are able to hold Camp Mustache, we will be unable to offer refunds for any reason. If you are unable or unwilling to come to camp whether due to inability to enter the US, because you are sick, or because you do not feel comfortable, we would suggest you contact us and we can attempt to place your ticket with a prospective attendee on our waitlist.

TLDR for veterans of CM*MW or other CM events
The structure of CM*MW 2024 is quite similar to CM*MW 2023, with another round of tweaks in response to camper feedback. We hope these tweaks can build on the strong start to CM*MW in 2022 and 2023 and give everyone an even more inspiring weekend.

If you’ve been to another CM or Camp FI event, you probably have a good sense for the crowd, schedule, and ambitions of our weekend at CM*MW. CM*MW is a rustic outdoor camp setting (think a church or YMCA camp), similar to past editions of CM*TO more than CM*NW or Camp FI events. We are very focused on managing costs to offer an affordable and inclusive experience. Unlike other CM events, our venue is not able to accommodate alcohol or pets, or to offer extra nights at the venue rather than offsite. On the other hand, we are able to accommodate attendees wishing to stay offsite and we are able to accommodate outside food.

Can I help organize camp? Can I speak? Can I host out-of-towners for a night?
Yes, we would love your help! Send us an email at CampMustacheMW@gmail.com!

More questions? Ask away!
You can contact us at CampMustacheMW@gmail.com or leave a comment right here in this thread!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 08:51:58 AM by grantmeaname »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Midwest CM*MW - Cincinnati, OH 5/3-5/5/2024
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 05:22:22 PM »
Update 9/15: Pre-registration is now closed.

Those of you who registered should see an email from CM*MW in your inbox this morning - if you do not, check your spam filter, or email us at CampMustacheMW@gmail.com.

Update 4/15: The waitlist is now closed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 08:53:06 AM by grantmeaname »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 05:22:30 PM »
reserved

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 05:24:42 PM »
...aaaand we already have our first registrant. How does @OttawaNeal do it? Some say he never blinks, and roams the woods at night foraging for wolves. Some say he is half mustache, half machine. Others say he has an IV feed of MMMforums straight into his veins. Whatever the truth, truly an amazing reaction time again this year!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 05:48:14 PM »
Camp Mustache events are community-run, not-for-profit, not-for-prophet, inclusive, and nature-conscious. CM attendees come from across the globe and from every corner of the FIRE internet. All attendees including the organizing committee and all speakers pay the same price and participate as equals in the discussion.

LOL 🤣. Subliminal….

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 06:12:20 PM »
it's clever enough I should admit I didn't make it up. It's a core tenet of all the camp mustaches.

OttawaNeal

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • The journey is the adventure.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 10:07:58 PM »
I get an email whenever there are new posts in this thread 😂

KentuckyLongrifle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 06:47:33 AM »
Well crud. That's our son's college graduation weekend. Oh well, there's always the next year (2025).

Mark and Kim Painter

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 10:16:51 AM »
Yeah, May can be a packed time of year. Hope to see you in '25! If you're willing to drive a little further you could check out Camp Fi.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 05:53:47 AM »
I'm going to have to pass as well next year unfortunately . . . lots of care activities here (kids and elders).  Hope to see you all again in 2025!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 06:54:16 AM »
Your productivity is an inspiration. I thought retired folks just took it easy...

GrowingInFire1

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 02:34:00 PM »
We've now got the whole family pre-registered. Our teen was waffling even though she had a great time last year, because she didn't want to miss a day of school.  I am glad she loves school still, but sure that will change once she is in high school!  Can't wait to see everyone again.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 02:39:37 PM »
Excited to have you back!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2023, 11:21:13 AM »
One more day of preregistration left, folks!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 04:25:12 PM »
...aaaand we already have our first registrant. How does @OttawaNeal do it? Some say he never blinks, and roams the woods at night foraging for wolves. Some say he is half mustache, half machine. Others say he has an IV feed of MMMforums straight into his veins. Whatever the truth, truly an amazing reaction time again this year!

Did @OttawaNeal put his money where his mouth is to also be the first to pay today?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2023, 07:11:57 PM »
Nope, he's just staring down at his August budget shaking his head sadly

OttawaNeal

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2023, 07:40:11 AM »
Nope, he's just staring down at his August budget shaking his head sadly

😂

Time value of money...first to register, last to pay. 😉

OttawaNeal

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2023, 10:07:54 PM »
Haven’t figured out how I’m getting there…but all paid up now. 😊

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2023, 09:37:53 AM »
About to fill out the form for the waitlist!

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2023, 12:56:20 PM »
Glad to see this is happening again next year!

I have a schedule conflict, so will miss 2024, but I heartily recommend for anyone else interested.

bacdef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2024, 08:24:11 AM »
This will be my first camp mustache; really excited! Should I bring my mountain bike? Any good MTB trails nearby? Group ride?

Looking out over the icy tundra that just materialized and dreaming of hero dirt....

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2024, 06:22:05 PM »
My father-in-law swears by Hueston Woods, 15 mi/25 min away

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2024, 06:06:39 PM »
This will be my first camp mustache; really excited! Should I bring my mountain bike? Any good MTB trails nearby? Group ride?

Looking out over the icy tundra that just materialized and dreaming of hero dirt....

There are a ton of paved bikes paths around, if you want to bring a road or gravel bike.

There are mountain bike trails at Keehner park in West chester. I don't really mountain bike so not familiar with where the other trails are.

There are also a lot of hiking trails around.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2024, 07:53:44 PM »
How did I miss this? Have there been other MW camps? Always near Cincinnati?

We’ve got a long trip mid May otherwise I’d be tempted to get on the waiting list. Perhaps another time.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2024, 09:24:16 PM »
We started back in 2022 so this will be our third edition, all three at the same location outside Cincinnati. Watch this space for a possible CMMW 2025 announcement someday :)

CMTO is in the fall outside Toronto (early September this year) and there's a lot of overlap in attendees, content, and more, if that works better for your schedule.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2024, 10:24:18 AM »
Thanks! I’ll keep an eye on these!

bacdef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2024, 01:04:36 PM »
My father-in-law swears by Hueston Woods, 15 mi/25 min away

There are a ton of paved bikes paths around, if you want to bring a road or gravel bike.

There are mountain bike trails at Keehner park in West chester. I don't really mountain bike so not familiar with where the other trails are.

There are also a lot of hiking trails around.

Thanks all! Guess I'll bring it.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM »
*psst* Check out this post for details about this fall's event from our good friends in Toronto.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2024, 08:53:50 AM »
*psst* Check out this post for details about this fall's event from our good friends in Toronto.

Thanks for mentioning us Grant - please get your name in quick if you want to join the Toronto event, our bunk lottery is this Friday and we are accepting names now.

The Illustrious @neal built us a website: https://cmtofirescape.wixsite.com/cmto and the link to the lottery entry is in the top searchbar.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2024, 09:29:43 AM »
hehe "Powered and secured by Maple Fluff"

OttawaNeal

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles