Author Topic: Texas Firefighter Family Man Considering Relocation to CO  (Read 1914 times)

Dannyleerod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Texas Firefighter Family Man Considering Relocation to CO
« on: April 21, 2024, 05:50:18 PM »
Hello all! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster! Would really love some advice from you super smart financial ninjas who have reached or are close to FIRE. I'll keep this as TL;DR as possible:

40 year old firefighter paramedic from south Texas, with a 39 year old wife and 3 daughters ages 13, 11 and 9. We love outdoor living and are considering moving to Colorado, as we really love the mountains and vacation to CO and our short term rental home in Ruidoso, NM a few times a year. I have a job offer from a fire department in Colorado, but I'm having a hard time reconciling the financials and making a wise decision.

CURRENT SITUATION:
-No debt aside from homes
-15 year veteran in fire department, I'll have a $3,600 / mo. pension if I stay until 20 years, and it'll go up about $500 / mo. per each year of additional service to 27 years.
-Could work 10 more years and very feasibly retire at age 50, which would put my youngest graduating high school and my pension around $5,700 / mo. in today's dollars
-Great health insurance with low deductibles / OOP and low monthly premiums ($220 / mo. for family)
-Excellent retiree health insurance @ $400 / mo.
-Awesome time off from work, about 20 shifts of vacation per year
-If I leave before 20 years, I only get my contributions back, which are around $125k right now
-I make about $110k annual gross with the department and have a photography business on the side that generates $10-15k per year
-Wife works part time, about $12k annual gross
-Our primary house could sell for about $475k conservatively, we owe $144k on a 15yr mortgage @ 2.5% ($1,560/mo. payment)
-Condo in Ruidoso could sell for about $205k conservatively, we owe $137k on a 30yr mortgage @ 3.375% ($810/mo. payment)
-We have Roth IRA's with a 100% VTSAX allocation, total combined balances of about $130k (about $450k by age 50 with continued contributions at conservative returns)
-About $30k in checking / savings for monthly spending and emergency fund
-About $5k in monthly expenses
-Paid off used Toyota vehicles we purchased recently and intend to keep for 8-10 years
-Close proximity to family, who I'm very close with and visit often (parents in their 70s, and 5 sisters & 3 brothers I love dearly)
-Great community with good neighbors and fantastic schools
-Terrible seasonal allergies for us, particularly my wife
-Horrendously hot and humid from May - October, my wife and I are so done with the heat
-Kids love being close to family and friends, they love our trips up there but would overall be more bummed to move than to stay

PROPOSED SITUATION:
-Relocation to CO fire department. I would make $75k first year, $85k second year, and be up to $98k after third year
-I would have to buy into their pension if I want to be part of it, which would cost me about $350k for the equivalent years of service. Ouch.
-CO pension would pay a lesser percentage for equivalent years worked (about 60% compared to 75% for 25 years), making me work til about age 60 instead of age 50
-Housing in the area we would be in is around $550-650k for a standard, reasonable 3/2/2 home
-Would basically have to start over with a fresh mortgage after the pension buy-in and be at a super high monthly mortgage on a 30yr loan @ crappy market interest rate
-About half as good health insurance at twice the monthly premium ($500 / mo.)
-A lot less vacation time per year (5 shifts off at beginning, 8 shifts off after 5 years)
-Close to hiking, biking and just plain being outside in the type of weather / climate we love
-Mountain views <3
-Significantly fewer allergy issues than TX

Any insight or financial wizardry would be greatly appreciated! There's pros and cons on both sides, and I'm trying to make the best decision for our family in both the present and the future. I know there's sacrifices on both sides, and oftentimes when I do pro/con comparisons, it feels like a 50/50 split. A fresh set of eyes and some wise insight I may have missed always helps! Thank y'all so much in advance!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 05:56:12 PM by Dannyleerod »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Texas Firefighter Family Man Considering Relocation to CO
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 05:34:45 AM »
It appears to me that you’d be much better off staying where you are.

Allergies are awful, but you might be able to modify your house to reduce heat, humidity and allergies. I moved state because of my allergies, and haven’t regretted it, but you’ve got a lot of goodness where you are, and I didn’t. And because I react very badly to smoke, I needed to seal my new house because I live in an area where we get wildfires, and there are fire reduction burns during spring and autumn. I’d already lived in the new state for six months (over the period when my allergies are worst) when I moved here, so I knew it was a much better environment for me. How do you know that the new place you’re thinking of going to won’t be as bad?

Louise

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 06:24:25 AM »
I would stay for a while as well, especially since you are close to family and have good schools. What does your teenager think? I moved as a teen. I knew we had to, but I lost all my friends that I had known all my life and had trouble breaking into new groups at my new high school.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 06:33:23 AM »
I'm also skeptical that this move makes financial sense. If it costs more but offers better value, that's fine if the value is worth it to you, but you also list some pretty significant things you'd be losing (proximity to family and kids' friends, much less time off).

I wonder what solutions can be found that are less extreme than moving. Can you spend entire summers away from the TX heat? I'm not sure how much time 20 shifts off adds up to but it sounds like at least 3-4 weeks? I don't know the situation well enough to brainstorm in more detail, but the point is: what targeted interventions could address the problems with where you live now? (Like house sealing that deborah talked about.) It appears that staying put will save you quite a lot of money; can you put a fraction of that money toward addressing the parts you hate?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 08:04:40 AM »
It's clear the financials are against the move.  That leaves the other issues to consider.

Weather: how much of the year in the part of Colorado you want to move to is outside weather?  I'm a bit concerned that at the moment you might only see it at the good times.  If your winter activity is skiing that can be expensive.  On the other hand, the heat in Texas is probably going to get worse over time and may end up being unliveable.

Allergies: how certain are you that everyone in your family will be allergy-free all year round in Colorado?  I'm guessing you have aircon in Texas, how good are the filters and how often are they cleaned?  Have you checked the air quality in your house and how it might be improved?  If you are spending a lot of time indoors and still have bad allergies then improving the air quality in your house is the first line of defence.

Community/Family/Schools/Happy kids: that's a lot to give up on top of the financials, and not easily replicated.

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 08:30:44 AM »
Find a great allergist for the wife.

Give it 5 years and take a look at everything again at that time. To give up that pension is mucho dinero. Just not worth it at all.

If the opportunity should arise and if mortgage rates go down, consider selling your rental and purchasing your eventual CO home in the next 5 years.

Best of luck!

JGS

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 08:31:57 AM »
I would not take the financial hit to move away from family whom I love. In fact, we did the opposite--passed up financially superior opportunities for the sake of staying near family. We don't regret the decision, and the older I get, the more i value being near family. Being able to help aging parents, and having adult kids around who can help us, is a huge benefit. Even more important is the casual, everyday socializing and hanging out.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 08:35:22 AM »
This should really be a Case Study.

Your claimed spend is about $5k/month but that seems low. With an income of ~$135k (+ rental income from the condo?), where does all the money go?

$135K - taxes - pension contributions - Roth = $60k?

Examine your spending, reduce your expenses, save more, and retire with your pension and investments at age 47 (and move to Colorado at age 49 when the youngest graduates?).

Dannyleerod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 11:21:52 AM »
Thank you all for the responses, these are extremely helpful!

It appears to me that you’d be much better off staying where you are.

Allergies are awful, but you might be able to modify your house to reduce heat, humidity and allergies. I moved state because of my allergies, and haven’t regretted it, but you’ve got a lot of goodness where you are, and I didn’t. And because I react very badly to smoke, I needed to seal my new house because I live in an area where we get wildfires, and there are fire reduction burns during spring and autumn. I’d already lived in the new state for six months (over the period when my allergies are worst) when I moved here, so I knew it was a much better environment for me. How do you know that the new place you’re thinking of going to won’t be as bad?

In researching areas with low allergens, it appears Colorado in general is a great pick overall in this regard, and we all feel generally better from an upper respiratory point of view when we're there for extended trips. I could see wildfires being a potential issue, which I hadn't given full thought to before.

I would stay for a while as well, especially since you are close to family and have good schools. What does your teenager think? I moved as a teen. I knew we had to, but I lost all my friends that I had known all my life and had trouble breaking into new groups at my new high school.

Yes, we love the community and schools here and is worthy of consideration in staying for sure. Our middle child is probably the only one that's mostly up for moving, but even she has reservations about leaving. The oldest is probably most resistant to leaving for same reasons you listed, and being away from grandparents, aunts and uncles she's close to.

I'm also skeptical that this move makes financial sense. If it costs more but offers better value, that's fine if the value is worth it to you, but you also list some pretty significant things you'd be losing (proximity to family and kids' friends, much less time off).

I wonder what solutions can be found that are less extreme than moving. Can you spend entire summers away from the TX heat? I'm not sure how much time 20 shifts off adds up to but it sounds like at least 3-4 weeks? I don't know the situation well enough to brainstorm in more detail, but the point is: what targeted interventions could address the problems with where you live now? (Like house sealing that deborah talked about.) It appears that staying put will save you quite a lot of money; can you put a fraction of that money toward addressing the parts you hate?

This is great insight, and I do agree about the financial side of things. My wife is ready to just jump ship to get out of south Texas and figure out the financials of the future, but I'm quite a bit more wary of the implications it would have on our ability to retire early and be free, which is a huge concern for me, as this job definitely takes its toll on your mind and body over the years. 20 shifts actually works out to about 2 months of total time off. I keep some shifts here and there for things like holidays, kids' sports competitions, etc., but the last 3 years we have indeed been doing 4-5 week vacations, which has helped take the edge off the brutal summers down here. I am also able to trade shifts with other firefighters, so maybe I could stack up a few more shifts to add on to that to extend the trip.
It's clear the financials are against the move.  That leaves the other issues to consider.

Weather: how much of the year in the part of Colorado you want to move to is outside weather?  I'm a bit concerned that at the moment you might only see it at the good times.  If your winter activity is skiing that can be expensive.  On the other hand, the heat in Texas is probably going to get worse over time and may end up being unliveable.

Allergies: how certain are you that everyone in your family will be allergy-free all year round in Colorado?  I'm guessing you have aircon in Texas, how good are the filters and how often are they cleaned?  Have you checked the air quality in your house and how it might be improved?  If you are spending a lot of time indoors and still have bad allergies then improving the air quality in your house is the first line of defence.

Community/Family/Schools/Happy kids: that's a lot to give up on top of the financials, and not easily replicated.

All very true for sure. I really appreciate everyone echoing the financial concerns I have, as it helps to make sure I'm not looking at things with one set of eyes. We frequently visit CO Springs, Durango, Loveland and Fort Collins... areas that are more on the temperate side than places like Breckenridge (which we also love... in the summer!) or Woodland Park that are a bit more extreme with cold temps and elevation. We've gone at all times of the year and enjoy each of their seasons for their own rights, but obviously love escaping the heat in summer. We definitely fare much better with allergies than in Texas, and you bring up a good point that I definitely should look into an indoor air quality test just to see where we stand. We live in a 1967 ranch that we've fixed up over the years, but is definitely not airtight because the original single pane windows are still in place and it does not have house wrap under the siding. I do change the air filters regularly and keep up with general house maintenance quite well. Thanks for the advice.

Find a great allergist for the wife.

Give it 5 years and take a look at everything again at that time. To give up that pension is mucho dinero. Just not worth it at all.

If the opportunity should arise and if mortgage rates go down, consider selling your rental and purchasing your eventual CO home in the next 5 years.

Best of luck!

JGS

Thanks for echoing my concern. I've told her giving up that 20 year pension would be equivalent to giving up a $1mil+ investment portfolio, as it would generate about the same monthly income based on 4% rule. I just can't see myself leaving that on the table with just 5 years to go. I have thought the same thing about getting a CO home at some point. We've absolutely talked about using the Ruidoso condo as a nest egg for a future home purchase when we retire.

I would not take the financial hit to move away from family whom I love. In fact, we did the opposite--passed up financially superior opportunities for the sake of staying near family. We don't regret the decision, and the older I get, the more i value being near family. Being able to help aging parents, and having adult kids around who can help us, is a huge benefit. Even more important is the casual, everyday socializing and hanging out.

Also a great insight I agree with, especially since we are so close with our family and actually enjoy being around them, which I realize is a huge blessing not everyone has. My parents are in their mid 70s and in great overall health, but I have put thought into the fact that the soonest I'd retire in CO (if we were to move) is 15 years, which would put them at 90 or not around at all. I would miss that time greatly, if not just for the quality healthy time right now, but also if their health deteriorates being able to be close to help in their last years. I appreciate you sharing your experience!

This should really be a Case Study.

Your claimed spend is about $5k/month but that seems low. With an income of ~$135k (+ rental income from the condo?), where does all the money go?

$135K - taxes - pension contributions - Roth = $60k?

Examine your spending, reduce your expenses, save more, and retire with your pension and investments at age 47 (and move to Colorado at age 49 when the youngest graduates?).

We actually usually end up negative on the condo. I have to put about $5k per year to cover what the rental income doesn't. $5k / per mo. are our standard, anticipated expenses (mortgage, utilities, gas, groceries, cell phones, etc.) but does not include incidentals (kids' broken arms, field trips, birthday parties, travel, home repairs, car repairs, etc.). Pension contributions are relatively high at 12.5%, Roth IRA's are $10-14k after-tax money depending on how much we can afford that year, and I also pay both current health insurance and pre-funded retiree health insurance premiums every month, so there's quite a few deductions before I get to my take home pay. We use a budgeting app and keep our discretionary, miscellaneous spending such as clothing, eat out, and random purchases as controlled as possible.

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 12:39:35 PM »
You do not say what agency you have the job offer from, but you do mention Loveland and Fort Collins as places you have visited and enjoyed.  Have you considered Greeley? It's not far from either Loveland or Fort Collins and is advertising now for lateral firefighter/paramedics with starting wages $96k+/year for 3+ years experience.  That's for a Journey I firefighter, if you can come in with a higher rank pay would also be higher.  $75k/year is almost as low as Greeley pays recruits.  If Loveland or Ft. Collins is your target, you can live there but work in Greeley.

https://elvp.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/requisitions?keyword=firefighter&mode=location

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 02:04:01 PM »
I think you'd regret moving away from the extended family, especially the elderly members. And your kids are not on board, so there will be consequences there.

I understand the allergy problems. I also know that no where is guaranteed, you could move and your wife could develop new allergies. And I completely understand the heat/humidity. I don't function well in those temps either.

Stay where you are for now, reevaluate in 5 years. You can move then. In the meantime, cope as best you can. Time vacations for the hottest parts of the year and go somewhere cooler when you can.

Also, my family went to a great deal of trouble to move my parents closer to me. It would make my life much harder if they were still 300 miles away.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 02:10:05 PM »
I would not give up that pension when you are so close to the 20 year bend point. I also think giving up close family & friends nearby is a significant tradeoff, not to mention the impact to your kids.

I hear your wife's take & I'd do what I could to meet in the middle as much as possible. It sounds you are already getting some great advice on that front (e.g. allergist, house upgrades, purifiers - maybe a professional grade like they have in office buildings?, long breaks away in the summer, etc) that take into account how to make this work.

In five years, you will have one out of the house presumably, and can take a closer look at options or the youngest two kids.

My 18 year old was looking closely at college in Fort Collins (just decided on another school this weekend), but we loved the area.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 03:13:08 PM »
When I look at the places with higher and lower allergens in my country, where I moved to is worse than where I came from. The fact is that my allergies don’t get triggered where I now live, most of the time (as I mentioned, I have problems during fire season and in early 2020 when the east coast of Australia was burning I had to spend three months inside hiding from the smoke because I was sick as soon as I went outdoors - the pandemic was better because I wasn’t confined to the house)

I was always sick for six weeks over winter. It was really difficult, especially trying to keep my job when I was off work for so long every single year. I hadn’t even considered moving, but I got a six month secondment to where I now live which included the six weeks I was always sick. I had one day off in all that time, and that’s when I decided to move.

Allergies can be very specific for different people. I have a friend who’s allergic to dust mites, so fixing her house and having a cleaner who wipes up dust rather than spreading it around is how she controls it. When I got tested, there were several things I was allergic to - cats, certain foods and some things outside. I don’t have cats, and I changed what I ate to eliminate the foods. This reduced my overall load of allergens, so I had a better life.

If I was told by my partner that I’d have to live somewhere that made me sick for five more years, I’d leave. Especially if I was certain that the option I’d selected would fix me.

My partner and I have been together for longer than you’ve been alive, but unlike you, we never had kids. We also lived apart at various points in our careers because SOs job moved. But he was committed, and for the nine years we lived 800km apart, he visited me every second weekend. Is there a way for your wife to move somewhere that will work for your family? It’s going to cost you $1million to move to Colorado in less than five years, so there’s a fair amount of money available to make things work sooner. There are almost certainly places much closer than that where your wife could have a much better life. Other people I’ve known to move because of their allergies have moved only an hour from where they were before, and an hour could be made to work. You could still be reasonably close to family and friends, and you could sell the condo and have something close to work where you could stay Tuesday to Thursday. Discuss all the options and see what comes up.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 08:03:22 AM »
I've lived in both CO and TX, and yeah, CO any day for me.  The problem is supply and demand.  There are a ton of other people who agree, which pushes up COL and deflates wages.  IOW, part of the reason you're getting paid more where you are is because it's less desirable to the masses, so you're effectively getting a bonus for taking on the terrible summers.

For me, 5 years away from a permanent pension, with family nearby and the kids settled in school?  It would take a hell of a lot to get me to leave.  A significant cut in pay/benefits and higher COL don't cut it.  You also need to be realistic about whether you'd even be able to work the extra 10 years or so that a move would require -- firefighting is largely a young person's game, and those years between 50 and 60 tend to involve significant changes in physical ability.

Also, please don't underestimate the value of those family ties.  It's really easy right now to build the perfect CO life in your head -- particularly when its 102 and your wife is miserable with allergies.  But playing around in 80-degree weather on summer break is not how you're going to feel in the middle of January when you're on your own in a new place, and the kids are dealing with homework and new schools, and you're trying to juggle five schedules without any support system.  Living somewhere full-time is very, very different than vacationing there.

I'd strongly recommend talking through with your wife what options you have to improve your lives that don't require upping stakes and putting yourselves in a much worse financial situation.  Her health is a huge, huge issue, so put some time and money into figuring out how you can improve her quality of life.  Then put some thought and time into figuring out a plan to escape the terrible heat of summer as much as possible; you're already on that path with your long summer breaks, and looking at ways to extend those times may take the edge off your wife's unhappiness.  Also look at other options -- there are other states out there with better weather and lower COL, you or your DW probably have family somewhere else you could consider moving near, there must be other places looking for firefighters/EMTs that are willing to pay more than you've found in CO, etc. etc. etc. 

Or, worse comes to worst, you can commit to moving in 5 years, once your pension has vested.  A guaranteed $3,600/mo. for life will take a ton of financial stress off of you forever and free you up to consider lower-paid jobs, and one kid out of the house can decrease your potential housing costs.  And you'd then have 5 years to get your financial ducks in a row to make that move. 

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2024, 09:31:23 AM »
For me, the financial and relational costs of such a move at this point in your life would not pencil out.

I spent over a decade living in Asia when my kids were young.  We did not live near either sides of the family during that time.  We did make a point of making regular visits -- 2-3 weeks at least 1-2x/year to see my family, shorter trips somewhat more frequently to see STBXs.  We have good/strong relationships with both sides, but probably not as close as if we had been having regular weekend family get-togethers.  I was looking forward to spending more time with my mom when we came back to the US in 2015, but our relocation coincided with a sharp decline in her health and she was gone by December 2017.  It was a blessing to her and my family that I was available to provide a lot of help during those last few months, but it sure would have been nice to have more time with her when she was doing better mentally and physically.

This old but still classic post from Wait But Why puts the costs of moving away from aging parents into very stark visuals:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/12/the-tail-end.html

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2024, 03:34:23 PM »
Sorry if I missed it, but what’s your pension if you left now? Based on the general overview, seems like at yeast staying until you get the 20 year pension is practical.

Dannyleerod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2024, 09:44:15 PM »
You do not say what agency you have the job offer from, but you do mention Loveland and Fort Collins as places you have visited and enjoyed.  Have you considered Greeley? It's not far from either Loveland or Fort Collins and is advertising now for lateral firefighter/paramedics with starting wages $96k+/year for 3+ years experience.  That's for a Journey I firefighter, if you can come in with a higher rank pay would also be higher.  $75k/year is almost as low as Greeley pays recruits.  If Loveland or Ft. Collins is your target, you can live there but work in Greeley.

https://elvp.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/requisitions?keyword=firefighter&mode=location

Thanks for sharing that! I have looked into Greeley before, as that is where I took one of my physical agility tests for one of the departments I was applying to. The pay is good, we are just hoping to be closer to the mountains, as hiking and outdoor play are so important to quality of life for us. Hard to not consider that at the pay rate for a lateral FF medic though!

I think you'd regret moving away from the extended family, especially the elderly members. And your kids are not on board, so there will be consequences there.

I understand the allergy problems. I also know that no where is guaranteed, you could move and your wife could develop new allergies. And I completely understand the heat/humidity. I don't function well in those temps either.

Stay where you are for now, reevaluate in 5 years. You can move then. In the meantime, cope as best you can. Time vacations for the hottest parts of the year and go somewhere cooler when you can.

Also, my family went to a great deal of trouble to move my parents closer to me. It would make my life much harder if they were still 300 miles away.

This is sound advice and I agree with all of it! You are spot on with the family concerns for sure. I appreciate the insight with the parents.

I would not give up that pension when you are so close to the 20 year bend point. I also think giving up close family & friends nearby is a significant tradeoff, not to mention the impact to your kids.

I hear your wife's take & I'd do what I could to meet in the middle as much as possible. It sounds you are already getting some great advice on that front (e.g. allergist, house upgrades, purifiers - maybe a professional grade like they have in office buildings?, long breaks away in the summer, etc) that take into account how to make this work.

In five years, you will have one out of the house presumably, and can take a closer look at options or the youngest two kids.

My 18 year old was looking closely at college in Fort Collins (just decided on another school this weekend), but we loved the area.

Yes, as hard as it is to think of staying put for another several years, I definitely lean this way and think the patience would pay off on multiple fronts. We have a couple of friends in Fort Collins who also say they love the area... on our radar in the future for sure!

If I was told by my partner that I’d have to live somewhere that made me sick for five more years, I’d leave. Especially if I was certain that the option I’d selected would fix me.

My partner and I have been together for longer than you’ve been alive, but unlike you, we never had kids. We also lived apart at various points in our careers because SOs job moved. But he was committed, and for the nine years we lived 800km apart, he visited me every second weekend. Is there a way for your wife to move somewhere that will work for your family? It’s going to cost you $1million to move to Colorado in less than five years, so there’s a fair amount of money available to make things work sooner. There are almost certainly places much closer than that where your wife could have a much better life. Other people I’ve known to move because of their allergies have moved only an hour from where they were before, and an hour could be made to work. You could still be reasonably close to family and friends, and you could sell the condo and have something close to work where you could stay Tuesday to Thursday. Discuss all the options and see what comes up.

Allergies are rough for sure, I am grateful for everyone's ideas and suggestions to really pour a lot more time and money into figuring out how to better help her with that, as it is such a big hindrance (as you clearly understand) to health and quality of life. I will absolutely be looking more into this.

We've talked about the working options too. She's looked into seasonal innkeeper positions during the summer, which could work for all of part of it, but having three kids and two dogs definitely makes that much more difficult, as not all places allow or are keen on that idea of having all of them along. We actually had applied last summer and were chosen for a seasonal innkeeping job for this coming summer from Memorial Day through Labor Day, but the property was too far in the negative in the off season and the owners had to list it for sale  (still hasn't sold.... "so you're telling me there's a chance?"). We've also talked about her taking a part time gig in the summer in Ruidoso to help pay for the condo expenses and we could just stay up there longer too for not a whole lot of relative cost.

I've lived in both CO and TX, and yeah, CO any day for me.  The problem is supply and demand.  There are a ton of other people who agree, which pushes up COL and deflates wages.  IOW, part of the reason you're getting paid more where you are is because it's less desirable to the masses, so you're effectively getting a bonus for taking on the terrible summers.

For me, 5 years away from a permanent pension, with family nearby and the kids settled in school?  It would take a hell of a lot to get me to leave.  A significant cut in pay/benefits and higher COL don't cut it.  You also need to be realistic about whether you'd even be able to work the extra 10 years or so that a move would require -- firefighting is largely a young person's game, and those years between 50 and 60 tend to involve significant changes in physical ability.

Also, please don't underestimate the value of those family ties.  It's really easy right now to build the perfect CO life in your head -- particularly when its 102 and your wife is miserable with allergies.  But playing around in 80-degree weather on summer break is not how you're going to feel in the middle of January when you're on your own in a new place, and the kids are dealing with homework and new schools, and you're trying to juggle five schedules without any support system.  Living somewhere full-time is very, very different than vacationing there.

I'd strongly recommend talking through with your wife what options you have to improve your lives that don't require upping stakes and putting yourselves in a much worse financial situation.  Her health is a huge, huge issue, so put some time and money into figuring out how you can improve her quality of life.  Then put some thought and time into figuring out a plan to escape the terrible heat of summer as much as possible; you're already on that path with your long summer breaks, and looking at ways to extend those times may take the edge off your wife's unhappiness.  Also look at other options -- there are other states out there with better weather and lower COL, you or your DW probably have family somewhere else you could consider moving near, there must be other places looking for firefighters/EMTs that are willing to pay more than you've found in CO, etc. etc. etc. 

Or, worse comes to worst, you can commit to moving in 5 years, once your pension has vested.  A guaranteed $3,600/mo. for life will take a ton of financial stress off of you forever and free you up to consider lower-paid jobs, and one kid out of the house can decrease your potential housing costs.  And you'd then have 5 years to get your financial ducks in a row to make that move.

Yes, you are absolutely right about supply and demand, and we get that there's a "price of admission" to live the life we're seeking. You're also 100% right about firefighting being a young man's game, and although I pour a great deal of time and effort into my health and fitness and am in good shape overall, I know father time catches up with everyone. Firefighting is definitely grueling when you're in the thick of a structure fire with 75lbs of gear on breathing through an SCBA.

I do appreciate your reminder of the value of family, which I definitely don't take for granted and is way high on the list of things to consider. We can get a bit of the grass-is-greener mentality when focusing on all the things we don't like about where we are, especially when we've been here our whole lives and we're tired of somehow having instant swamp crotch when we take a step outside at 9am in July. You're 100% spot on that living in a place and vacationing in a place are very different things, and I have taken that into consideration in our talks about having help when things are tough or just being able to visit and connect with family regularly.

I agree with the fact that $3600/mo would be huge in taking that financial pressure off the shoulders. It opens up so many doors, because I definitely don't want to just sit on my butt in retirement and would love to pick and choose part time jobs or gigs that sound enjoyable to me. Or who knows, even working full time for a few more years on top of the monthly pension benefit and really banking a bunch extra to pad the retirement assets even more. Lots of great options and opportunities to consider at that point.

For me, the financial and relational costs of such a move at this point in your life would not pencil out.

I spent over a decade living in Asia when my kids were young.  We did not live near either sides of the family during that time.  We did make a point of making regular visits -- 2-3 weeks at least 1-2x/year to see my family, shorter trips somewhat more frequently to see STBXs.  We have good/strong relationships with both sides, but probably not as close as if we had been having regular weekend family get-togethers.  I was looking forward to spending more time with my mom when we came back to the US in 2015, but our relocation coincided with a sharp decline in her health and she was gone by December 2017.  It was a blessing to her and my family that I was available to provide a lot of help during those last few months, but it sure would have been nice to have more time with her when she was doing better mentally and physically.

This old but still classic post from Wait But Why puts the costs of moving away from aging parents into very stark visuals:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/12/the-tail-end.html

I'm so sorry to hear the circumstances of it, but I'm glad to hear you were able to spend time with your mom before she passed, and I'm sure she was grateful to have you there as well! What a blessing to the whole family. Thanks for the link, I'll give it a read!

Sorry if I missed it, but what’s your pension if you left now? Based on the general overview, seems like at yeast staying until you get the 20 year pension is practical.

The city matches our 12.5% contribution 2:1, but if I were to retire before 20 years, I would only get back my contributions, which are $125k right now.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 08:38:31 AM »

The city matches our 12.5% contribution 2:1, but if I were to retire before 20 years, I would only get back my contributions, which are $125k right now.

Yeah, this is the part that is frankly determinative for me.  Leave now, you get $125K.  Leave in 5 years, you get the equivalent of over $1M.*  That's just a ridiculous level of return that is almost impossible to get anywhere.  I mean, really, each additional year you work is effectively worth almost an extra $200K!

Believe me, I get the ants-in-pants, particularly given the weather (there's a reason I didn't stay in TX!).  But what would your wife think if you framed it up as "giving up $1M if we leave now"?

*4% rule = $3600/mo x 12 mos. x 25 = $1,080,000. !!!!!

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 09:05:10 AM »
Financially this a no-brainer: Stay where you are with higher pay, lower COL, and generous guaranteed pension until you retire. Don't leave good schools and friends and close family for an unknown community with the ages of your kids -- this is the definition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. In 10 years your kids will be adults and you'll have a fully vested pension, plus additional savings from the lower COL. Then you can downsize and retire to CO.

In the meantime, use that higher pay and lower COL for memorable family trips. Visit mountain states to do the fun stuff you guys enjoy.

RE allergies: Get an HVAC company to pressure test your house and then fix the big air leaks. Spend a few grand installing a whole house HEPA filter. This is orders of magnitude less expensive and less disruptive than uprooting your family.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 09:15:23 AM by FINate »

Dannyleerod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 08:57:17 PM »

Yeah, this is the part that is frankly determinative for me.  Leave now, you get $125K.  Leave in 5 years, you get the equivalent of over $1M.*  That's just a ridiculous level of return that is almost impossible to get anywhere.  I mean, really, each additional year you work is effectively worth almost an extra $200K!

Believe me, I get the ants-in-pants, particularly given the weather (there's a reason I didn't stay in TX!).  But what would your wife think if you framed it up as "giving up $1M if we leave now"?

*4% rule = $3600/mo x 12 mos. x 25 = $1,080,000. !!!!!

Oh my gosh it's so funny you mention this, because I've done the exact same calculation and have repeated this ad nauseum to her, haha!

Dannyleerod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 08:58:18 PM »
Financially this a no-brainer: Stay where you are with higher pay, lower COL, and generous guaranteed pension until you retire. Don't leave good schools and friends and close family for an unknown community with the ages of your kids -- this is the definition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. In 10 years your kids will be adults and you'll have a fully vested pension, plus additional savings from the lower COL. Then you can downsize and retire to CO.

In the meantime, use that higher pay and lower COL for memorable family trips. Visit mountain states to do the fun stuff you guys enjoy.

RE allergies: Get an HVAC company to pressure test your house and then fix the big air leaks. Spend a few grand installing a whole house HEPA filter. This is orders of magnitude less expensive and less disruptive than uprooting your family.

I'm definitely with you on all of that, Nate! I agree with that great plan, thanks for taking the time to provide input!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 10:56:00 PM »

This.  And also, in your new department, you would have less vacation time.  Maybe this is less of an issue with a firefighter's schedule, but it's still time that is yours.

I skimmed most of this, but maybe I missed it above.  Is there a chance you would be trading hot, locked inside with A/C summer weather for cold, locked inside with the heat on winter weather with a move?  Maybe not a huge concern unless you're really up in the mountains, but something to think about.

So, less money, more work, more expensive house, further from supportive family, and unhappy kids...  hmmm.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!