Author Topic: insurance for side hustle - how?  (Read 559 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
insurance for side hustle - how?
« on: April 23, 2024, 09:24:47 AM »

My SO has a side business that nets between $5k-10k in sales annually, and she is the only employee. She wants to set up a booth at our town's monthly "Independent Makers" festival (think of it like a farmers market, but where most of the stalls aren't raw food but crafts).

But... the town is requiring she has insurance in order to be granted a slot, but has been given little guidance on how to go about this.  Most of the other booths are full-fledged businesses with LLC status. 

How do you go about insuring a side-hustle when you are the sole employee and everything is done in your home? Do we first need to establish and S-Corp or LLC? I'm wary of getting a rider on our home insurance policy as I don't want our home to be somehow tied to a lawsuit, as unlikely as that might be.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Re: insurance for side hustle - how?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 09:42:08 AM »
(I've been working in Property & Casualty insurance for almost 20 years.)

You should be able to buy commercial insurance as a sole proprietor. Some insurance carriers may have specific requirements, but it's very common to have your situation. If you only want coverage for the festival, you could look into short-term commercial liability insurance. (This was once the "hot new thing" in small business insurance; it hasn't really panned out that way but it's still generally available.)

I would recommend talking to an independent insurance agent local to you, because insurance is regulated primarily by individual states. Independent agents represent many different carriers, so they are likely to have a solution for more unusual situations. (State Farm, Farmers, Allstate and American Family are captive agents, so they only have one carrier they work with.) You can also go direct with online quotes yourself, but you're likely to get better advice working with someone else.

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!