Author Topic: GRRRRR! Where can I get free clip art?  (Read 1706 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
GRRRRR! Where can I get free clip art?
« on: April 19, 2024, 12:45:48 PM »
Apologies if I've asked this before...

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find free clip art without having to provide a CC? A five day trial is not free in this frugal girl's book.

Specifically, I am looking for row of books that I can use on a label. Picture a nametag with a row of books at the bottom. Yes, it's for a non-profit and I have zero budget.

I've tried Bing, but it keeps directing me to pay sites.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
Re: GRRRRR! Where can I get free clip art?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 12:52:47 PM »
This will only help you if the clip art you need is already out there and annotated appropriately, but google image search will let you specify images under a Creative Commons license, which means it's free to use for non-commercial purposes.

Do an image search, click "Tools" (far right under the search bar), and then go to the "Usage rights" drop-down and select "Creative Commons licenses."

Doing the above led me to this image on a site that might be useful more broadly: https://openclipart.org/detail/312028/study-books-in-a-row

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 12:58:16 PM »
Here's another one if you're determined to show a row of books (stacks seem to be more common in clipart): https://openclipart.org/detail/314007/vintage-bookshelf-by-revzack-cleaned-up

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 01:05:07 PM »
The Noun Project might be useful, and Openclipart has already been mentioned by Tass (including some decent options linked). Those are the two biggies for clipart/iconography. There's also Free Images that's just a public domain graphics search engine that has the option to search for specialty images like vector and illustration art.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 01:31:45 PM »
Alternate line of thought, sometimes decorative fonts/wingdings can work in a pinch, too. To that end, DaFont is useful, and you can restrict browsing to public domain/open source licensing when browsing under "more options".

In your case, I found the following font Book Ends that might be perfect for your use case, but it's marked as free for personal use only. I checked her website and the licensing terms, but there's no elaboration on where NPO/501(c)(3) or your usage case falls in that spectrum between personal and commercial. That said, she has a contact form, and it never hurts to ask if you like the font and what it does, and given the lack of broader definitions of personal and commercial in her licensing. That said, the commercial desktop license is $5, which isn't free, but not expensive for a tool you could probably reuse.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 01:38:40 PM by Daley »

erp

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 01:55:48 PM »
The Noun Project might be useful, and Openclipart has already been mentioned by Tass (including some decent options linked). Those are the two biggies for clipart/iconography. There's also Free Images that's just a public domain graphics search engine that has the option to search for specialty images like vector and illustration art.

The noun project is super cool - I've never seen this before but it's basically the perfect solution to a problem I've been passively avoiding for a while now. Thanks!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 02:40:46 PM »
Alternate line of thought, sometimes decorative fonts/wingdings can work in a pinch, too. To that end, DaFont is useful, and you can restrict browsing to public domain/open source licensing when browsing under "more options".

In your case, I found the following font Book Ends that might be perfect for your use case, but it's marked as free for personal use only. I checked her website and the licensing terms, but there's no elaboration on where NPO/501(c)(3) or your usage case falls in that spectrum between personal and commercial. That said, she has a contact form, and it never hurts to ask if you like the font and what it does, and given the lack of broader definitions of personal and commercial in her licensing. That said, the commercial desktop license is $5, which isn't free, but not expensive for a tool you could probably reuse.
I like this! I checked her page, and it seems within bounds, but I asked for permission, just in case. Next question: How the fuck do I download and use it?

Here's another one if you're determined to show a row of books (stacks seem to be more common in clipart): https://openclipart.org/detail/314007/vintage-bookshelf-by-revzack-cleaned-up
I like this one, too! Same question.

Though I may have a shitload of posts here, I'm not actually all that computer literate, so thanks in advance. I do know what RFMS means, though ;-)

As to determined, you bet I am. Here's why I need this:

At this fundraiser, the fundraising is done downstairs, then everyone proceeds to go upstairs for dinner with the author of their choice. It has always bugged me that we stop asking for money at this point. Every fundraiser I've ever attended keeps asking, even on the way out the door.

I had the idea to strew pictures of "Banned" books of different denomination across the tabletops. (I'm in charge of centerpieces, so it's part of the decor, m'kay?) Each guest will have a old-school book pocket at their place. They can choose which books they'd like to "buy" and the envelopes will be collected at the end of dinner. The book pocket will have instructions printed on it and I want some kind of book motif in the very small space at the bottom. I like Daley's suggestion, because if I can figure how the hell to do it, the books will spell "Thank you."

It has been an uphill battle to get the Board to agree to this, so I HAVE to make it look good, with no budget and minimal skillz. Wish me luck!

Sorry if that's TMI.

P.S. Thanks for being so responsive. You guys rock!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 02:56:45 PM »
I like this one, too! Same question.

There are download buttons to the right on the webpage. Unless you're going to edit the image (when having the SVG format would be useful), I would select the "Large" PNG for downloading.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 06:09:13 PM »
I like this! I checked her page, and it seems within bounds, but I asked for permission, just in case. Next question: How the fuck do I download and use it?

If she grants you permission for usage and you use the free version of her font, you just click the download button for the font there for Book Ends at DaFont, unpack the ZIP file and install either the OTF or the TTF font on your computer for use, but not both (either should work - Windows install instructions/Mac install instructions). From there, you use it (mostly) just like any other font you'd use to type and create a (portion of a) document in whatever app you want to use, like MS Word, or LibreOffice Writer, or a vector editing app like Inkscape or Illustrator, or a image editor like GIMP or Photoshop, whatever app you were going to use for creating the end product for printing (just be sure to export the document with the font as curves or embedded in the document if it's not a bitmap image for the printer, if the printer isn't from your computer directly to the toner fairies)... but to do proper framing, take note of the instructions there on the DaFont page for usage:

Special Characters:
() = bookends
[] = aloe vera bookends
+ = aloe vera between books
space or . or - = book completion
* = aloe vera plant by itself
! = empty connecting book
? = empty completed book

Those special characters are what you actually have to type to produce a complete graphic. So, if you wanted it to say "Thank You" with bookends on each side and an aloe plant in the middle, you'd actually type:
Code: [Select]
(thank+you)Or if you wanted it with aloe plants on each side and a blank space between the words, you'd actually type:
[thank-you]Or if you wanted just books but no bookends or aloe plants, you'd type:
thank-you.Or, if you wanted a book with a blank spine instead of a space between books, you'd type:
thank!you.
You'll note that the linked DaFont page has a "custom preview" field you can type in to see what the font looks like in use. If you click this link specifically, you'll see what each of those four examples would look like, and you can play around from there and mix and match to your heart's desire! ALOE EVERYWHERE! NUTTIN' BUT BOOKS! You get the idea.

Best part is, since it's a font? You're basically creating a vector graphic with it, which'll print up nice and clean at whatever size you need.

Can you dig it?

Edit: FWIW, knowing more about what you're trying to do with "the graphic" and its intended usage, I think it'd look pretty snazzy and give you a better/cleaner/professional-ish visual end result over trying to type out "Thank You!" and pasting in clipart graphics of books underneath it. Hopefully she's down with non-profit fundraising usage for a simple thank you graphic at the bottom of the book pockets as falling into the "free" category, but if not? Sometimes it's the details, and the perfect tool has to be paid for. I can think of worse potential out of pocket prices than an Abe Lincoln, and if it goes well, you can keep using the font in other creative applications at future fundraisers!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 06:36:58 PM by Daley »

travel2020

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 06:26:38 PM »
pixabay.com has a good collection of free images.

You can also customize google image search settings to find images that are free to use.

Using bing.com copilot feature (requires you to be logged in using a personal account such as outlook, hotmail, live, etc.) to generate a suitable image via AI is annother option. Might be worth exploring if you need to do this type of stuff fairly often.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 08:55:10 PM »
@Daley, I love you forever, but almost all of that was over my head.

Nevertheless, I persisted.

I think I've got it.

I'll bookmark this page and show you the results once I finish.

I haven't heard back yet from Brittney, but I'll gladly pay if they deem it commercial.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2024, 11:44:40 PM »
Hey, thanks, everyone! I learned a lot of good stuff today, with your help. I think I have it figured out. I've posted it in my journal. If you want to, feel free to hop on over there (skip to the end) and critique away! Link's in my siggy line.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 09:44:43 PM »
An update for @Daley, @Tass, @erp, and @travel2020 and anyone else who peeked into this thread.

An awesome Mustachian gently ripped the idea out of my head, made it exponentially better, and brought it to reality.

We earned an additional $7,095 at the event thanks to my audacious idea, and their help. Woo-hoo!

At the moment, they're too identifying to post, but if I can figure out a way to blur some things, I'll post pics at some point.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 09:36:16 AM by Dicey »

erp

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 09:33:26 AM »
An update for @Daley, @Tass, @erp, and @travel2020 and anyone else who peeked into this thread.

An awesome Mustachian gently ripped the idea out of my head and made it a reality.

We earned an additional $7,095 at the event thanks to my audacious idea, and their help. Woo-hoo!

At the moment, they're too identifying to post, but if I can figure out a way to blur some things, I'll post pics at some point.

Thank you!

Great work! That's a pretty significant win and you made the world better - good job all around :)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 12:30:25 PM »
Wow! That is impressive fundraising indeed!! Kudos on a job well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk