Author Topic: Your Best Material Good Purchase Last Year?  (Read 24989 times)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
Your Best Material Good Purchase Last Year?
« on: February 18, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
I thought there may be some hilarious answers in this forum to the following question:

Q:  What one tangible thing did you buy last year which greatly improved your overall day-to-day wellbeing?

My answer:  Potato masher = $2

(Please, please no fancy existential answers about travel, life experiences, love, peace of mind, your kids, family, exercise.  Looking for an actual tangible item here.  Bicycles do count!)

When a social group is talking about all the great, expensive things they've bought recently I find it ridiculous (yet necessary) to blurt out, "I got a potato masher.  It's one of those hand-held manual ones and works really well.  It's absolutely brilliant!"  ...And that's when people stare at me like I have two heads!  :)

RH

• Stubble
Re: Your Best Material Good Purchase Last Year?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »
I got a stainless steel milk frother for $20 off amazon. It helps me make the most amazing lattes!!! I love it! 

http://www.amazon.com/HIC-Stainless-Steel-Frother-14-Ounce/dp/B000X7GF40/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424284993&sr=8-3&keywords=milk+frother

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
My very anti mustachian (times 100)  wood burning outdoor oven that just brings out the caveman in me.  Right now it is -13 wind chill outside, but it doubles a suet feeding station today and I just watched a woodpecker stop by for a "peck" to eat.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »
A good quality mayernity coat.  I'm having a baby in a few weeks, and living in Wisconsin definitely meant a maternity coat was a necessary evil.  All the coats online were $120+ for poorly - made knockoff crap (it's worse because I'm plus-sized and sales are non-existent). 

Thankfully, we have a Land's End distribution center nearby, and they have huge sales a few times a year for returned/discontinued/defective items.  I ended up getting an incredibly warm, thigh - length coat in a beautiful color a size or two bigger than normal.  At 9 months pregnant,  the coat still fits like a dream and is warm even in -20 windchill weather.  It only cost $50 and is the highest - quality coat I've ever owned.  I know where to go when my regular coat needs replacing!

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »
Winter is just plain crazy in North America this year, isn't it?!  I completely understand the needs for warmth.

In my PRE-Mustchian days of 2011 , I bought this ridiculous coat:

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293973/Shearling-Civil-B3-Jacket.html

An $800 (at the time) WWII replica shearling B3 bomber jacket!  I got really sick of being cold that year and my thinking at the time was, "Hell, I'll use it forever!"  So far, so good--it's been a blessing every single year to wear it.  Even on days when it's -40C/-40F outside it's still toasty (all while my face and ass feel like they're going to fall off).  I can't wear it on -10C/14F days 'cause I'll sweat like Elvis.

27y/oTennesseeRetiree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »
My switch to Republic Wireless. I use the 3G unlimited $25 a month plan and I bought a used 1st Gen Moto X phone. The net savings are about $45 a month. Sold my old phone for enough to pay for the switch.

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »
Used Prius.  I switched from my un-mustachian leased Clown car

1. No more lease!  I bought it outright
2. Gas budget was literally cut in half

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 12:44:06 PM »
Kleen Stainless Steel tumblers and stainless plates & bowls.  One son was constantly breaking my dishware.  Now, it may get dented but I think I'm good for this lifetime.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »
It's expensive but...our weber grill (bought with discounted gift cards and a coupon).  We bought a house at the end of 2013 and that was the top purchase for it we were looking forward to.  And omg, this means DH now helps cook dinner.  So amazing.  It helps to wean him off the "restaurant = better" attitude.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »
Kleen Stainless Steel tumblers and stainless plates & bowls.  One son was constantly breaking my dishware.  Now, it may get dented but I think I'm good for this lifetime.

Nice!!  I didn't even know that there were such a thing.  Just took a look online and the prices aren't bad either.  making a mental note to keep my eye out for these if I ever see them used or on sale someplace.  I hand-wash everything in the sink and chipping is a bit of a problem.  I also drop dishes and once I accidentally placed one on a hot burner for a few minutes--it dramatically exploded like ceramic confetti.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »
A pair of men's Dockers pants in my (petite female) size from a thrift store. Follow shortly after by purchase of a brand spanking new pair off Amazon. I swear, pants with actual functional pockets and enough weight to the fabric to withstand some use have changed my life.

As soon as I receive an Amazon gift card I was promised for doing a focus group, I hope to change my life this year with some wool socks.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »
Our $300 rescue dog. Limitless love return. Higher than 4% withdrawal rate:)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
It's expensive but...our weber grill (bought with discounted gift cards and a coupon).  We bought a house at the end of 2013 and that was the top purchase for it we were looking forward to.  And omg, this means DH now helps cook dinner.  So amazing.  It helps to wean him off the "restaurant = better" attitude.

I'd love to BBQ.  ...Sigh.  My apartment doesn't have a balcony.  The apartment next door (with a balcony) has come up vacant a few times over the years but everyone who lives there says it's drafty and the door leaks in winter.  BBQs (in my mind) can have lots of frugal benefits.  Besides the obvious, even a grilled tomato or green pepper tastes amazing.  Now I'm craving shish kebabs.  So easy to make!

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »
@ Kaspian - Kleen Kanteen - these, not the insulated ones...these do keep cool drinks cold though for a good long while.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXUQ2QM?psc=1

Can be purchased individually on Amazon. 

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 01:04:32 PM »
... I hope to change my life this year with some wool socks.

They're great!  Even hanging out just around the house.  Wearing wool socks is almost addictive.  I have to wean myself off them whenever the weather gets warmer.

Our $300 rescue dog. Limitless love return. Higher than 4% withdrawal rate:)

And a return of good karma-well done!!  To each their own, but I've never really understood the folks who pay $3000-5000 for a particular breed when there are already so many good natured dogs out there in need of a home.  Isn't it the personality which is important and not the look?

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 01:06:36 PM »
$40 dollar toilet seats that DON'T slam when you close them.  I bought 2.  I love the fact that I can (kids) can just push them over and they quietly do their job.  They also come off really, really easy for cleaning. 

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 01:07:08 PM »
@ Kaspian - Kleen Kanteen - these, not the insulated ones...these do keep cool drinks cold though for a good long while.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXUQ2QM?psc=1

Can be purchased individually on Amazon.

And they appear to stack way, WAY better than glass cups do!! 

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
Wool socks = sweaters for your feet according to one son.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 01:11:51 PM »
$40 dollar toilet seats that DON'T slam when you close them.  I bought 2.  I love the fact that I can (kids) can just push them over and they quietly do their job.  They also come off really, really easy for cleaning.

We have one of those and I love it.  The only drawback is that now I'm so used to it, I have to remember that not all toilet seats do that.  I have on a few occasions just let a toilet seat drop in a public restroom and scared the bejeezus out of someone in there.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 01:18:24 PM »

I'd love to BBQ.  ...Sigh.  My apartment doesn't have a balcony.  The apartment next door (with a balcony) has come up vacant a few times over the years but everyone who lives there says it's drafty and the door leaks in winter.  BBQs (in my mind) can have lots of frugal benefits.  Besides the obvious, even a grilled tomato or green pepper tastes amazing.  Now I'm craving shish kebabs.  So easy to make!

Grilled anything is better :)  We eat a lot more veggies than we did before.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »
Our Goodwill bin store down comforter.  We used to sleep under an electric blanket but this so much lighter and more delightful.  I feel a little surge of happiness every time I crawl under it.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
Our Goodwill bin store down comforter.  We used to sleep under an electric blanket but this so much lighter and more delightful.  I feel a little surge of happiness every time I crawl under it.

I need a new comforter too!  The one I have is reaching is Mustchian limit--almost threadbare with a few 4-inch tears in different areas.  Is it cool in the summer or hot?

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 02:27:41 PM »

I need a new comforter too!  The one I have is reaching is Mustchian limit--almost threadbare with a few 4-inch tears in different areas.  Is it cool in the summer or hot?

Don't know yet.  We have only had it about two weeks. 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
New Bed.  A King size memory foam off amazon for 500$.  I've never slept better in my life!

When a social group is talking about all the great, expensive things they've bought recently I find it ridiculous (yet necessary) to blurt out, "I got a potato masher.  It's one of those hand-held manual ones and works really well.  It's absolutely brilliant!"  ...And that's when people stare at me like I have two heads!  :)

I always think about buying one when I am trying to mash potatoes with a fork.  Going on 7 years of making mash potatoes I have yet to remember to actually buy one.  I can imagine your excitement.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:35:17 PM by Cromacster »

LRM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 02:39:12 PM »
Was $45 when I purchased it: This food processor. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V8RNH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can now make so many more health foods that I used to buy at the grocery story/restaurant, including chocolate superfood medicine balls and black bean brownies. We love it for soups and chopping veggies like onions, too!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
New underwear.

The old ones were more hole than fabric.  The fancy new stuff has significantly reduced chafing from zippers.  Also, while walking around in front of the windows in just my underwear I am no longer (as) concerned about neighbours calling the cops on me for indecent exposure.

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »
New Bed.  A King size memory foam off amazon for 500$.  I've never slept better in my life!

Oh man, we got memory foam last year.  Amazing. 

We also bought two Contigo coffee travel mugs - they're vacuum flasks, so they keep hot/cold for hours and hours.

Both of these purchases were pretty awesome.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »
A Hydro-Flask water bottle AND a Hydro-Flask coffee travel mug.

We have a hot water dispenser at work. I fill the coffee travel mug with hot water and add the tea bag. While I'm at the hot water dispenser, I also put a bit of hot water in my water bottle.

After a few minutes of steeping, I transfer the tea bag from the coffee mug to the water bottle. After another few minutes, I dump the tea bag in the trash, and fill the water bottle with ice from the ice machine.

Hot green tea AND iced green tea, all with one tea bag!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 04:05:21 PM »

We've been using a George Foreman grill in our apartment for over a decade now. NOT the same results as an outdoor grill, but really convenient. And like CommonCents's husband, mine now feels comfortable cooking thanks to it, making the food prep duties more equitable. I often (mostly) joke that the George Foreman grill saved my marriage.

[ETA: Not advocating for GF specifically; just have yet to find an alternative that fits our needs. When this one conks out, we'll be on the lookout, though.]

My purchase: closet storage bins. We don't own a ton of stuff, but those bins have made such a huge difference in optimizing our small space for the stuff we do have.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:07:53 PM by ShaneD »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 04:08:39 PM »
Camera lenses. Sometimes I laugh when I think about how some metal-glass-and-circuitry the size of my fist costs more than cars I see on craigslist. Worth it, though.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »
... I hope to change my life this year with some wool socks.

They're great!  Even hanging out just around the house.  Wearing wool socks is almost addictive.  I have to wean myself off them whenever the weather gets warmer.

Oh, yes, I know. I do own two pair I can wear around the house (both from thrift stores), but I plan to pay real live gift card for a couple of pairs I can wear to work, too. 😀

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 05:08:12 PM »
Roomba!  $350ish from Amazon (pre-MMM, don't kill me for not knowing the exact price!).  So much less snark in my house now (had 3 big dogs for awhile (now 2) + 1 kitty = excessive hair).

Also, to copy someone else, $475 for my rescue puppy :)  He's the love of my life <3 (shh don't tell DH!)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 07:14:27 PM »
Ballet slippers. With them, I was able to embark on learning classical ballet, my new favourite hobby!

Second: A pretty dark wooden table that can fold into various configurations - it can be a little shelf when I vacuum, a table for two most of the time, and a table for up to six should we need that. We had no table at all for about a month ater moving to our smaller apartment in the summer, so it was very welcome.

lise

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »
microfibre cleaning cloths.  I think it was $6 (less 20%) at Bed Bath Beyond for a pack of 7.
Use less cleaning product (cos of the good friction) and less paper towels.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 07:26:13 PM »
Nothing sticks out in my mind. My best purchase was probably my Moto X phone, but I bought it somewhat reluctantly, since my old employer paid for a cell phone and my new one does not. It's great paying just $12 a month for all the service I need, though.

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »
I bought one of the Shark vacuums for the motorhome, has no bag, just a container you empty.  It really does a good job of sweeping the carpet, hardwood, and ceramic in there.  I just wish it had a bit longer hose so I can vacuum out the floor of the car when traveling.

For the house the honeycomb blinds I got for the windows, though we have dual pane in this climate
it let a lot of cold air in, much, much warmer.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
I splurged on a pair of Ugg boots (not the shearling ones, more fashionable leather boots) from the Nordstrom Rack several months ago, and don't regret it one bit.  They're fantastically made, comfortable and go with everything.  I wear them all the time and enjoy how perfectly they fit and how good they look each time.  Now I want to hold future clothing purchases to the same standard.

I also bought three pairs of the same riding breeches in different colors.  They're super comfy and smart-looking, and seem to be wearing well so far.  So much better than the random eBay breeches that were all different and never fit quite right.

Lifestyle Deflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 11:32:55 PM »
Costco --- an easy chair recliner for $400. This thing is awesome, comfortable and will hopefully last us 20+ years. I sit in for 8+ hours daily since I work from home.

GreenPen

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 11:40:58 PM »
Padded Underwear for cycling ($20). My butt thanks me every day.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 12:18:06 AM »
4 awesome bookshelf speakers (http://emptek.com/r5bi.php) @ a discounted black friday price.  The sound quality is amazing for a few hundred dollars.  :)

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 05:46:13 AM »
$30 on a microplane grater. I got along fine without it but I don't regret purchasing it for 1 second, it is a seriously amazing grater. That said, I only bought it because I had a gift card.

I doubt anything will top the fancy Joseph Joseph garlic press that I bought for this year. I think it was $40 (again using a gift card) and I see no reason for it not to last forever.

I've been thinking about getting a robot vac but I'm concerned that I'll be disappointed and I do already have a very good regular vacuum cleaner.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 05:52:47 AM »
Lots of Merino Wool Socks. I work outside year round. The older I get, the easier my feet seem to get cold.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 05:55:45 AM »
The one that I use the most and makes me the most happy in a regular basis in the winter is my Klean Kanteen insulated tea cup.  I think it was about 20$. 

But probably the winner would be my bike basket.  I used to have a rear rack, but with a kid on a trail-a-bike, it had to be removed.  So I got a front basket.  OMG so rye at not to have to wear a sweaty backpack.  Plus I look like a cool hipster, I'm not going to lie. I put a picture of that baby full of vegetables on Facebook.  I think it was about 20$, too. 

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 05:55:53 AM »

We've been using a George Foreman grill in our apartment for over a decade now. NOT the same results as an outdoor grill, but really convenient. And like CommonCents's husband, mine now feels comfortable cooking thanks to it, making the food prep duties more equitable. I often (mostly) joke that the George Foreman grill saved my marriage.

[ETA: Not advocating for GF specifically; just have yet to find an alternative that fits our needs. When this one conks out, we'll be on the lookout, though.]

My purchase: closet storage bins. We don't own a ton of stuff, but those bins have made such a huge difference in optimizing our small space for the stuff we do have.

The Cuisinart Griddler is pretty awesome. I was skeptical when my husband wanted it for Christmas two years ago, but it has been tremendously useful. It makes great paninis as well.

https://www.cuisinart.com/products/grills/gr-4n.html

Costco has it on sale for a very good price.

NYCWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 06:52:16 AM »

I always think about buying one when I am trying to mash potatoes with a fork.  Going on 7 years of making mash potatoes I have yet to remember to actually buy one.  I can imagine your excitement.

Another way to mash potatoes without a potato masher: your mixer. After your potatoes are soft, put them in a mixing bowl, add milk, butter, salt, etc. and then use your mixer to get them smooth. I have a hand mixer and have always used it for making super smooth potatoes. (Keeping kitchen utensils to a minimum is a must in a NYC apt!)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 07:04:42 AM »
My Soyajoy Soy Milk Maker. It cost about $100 but has saved about $6 a week on the fancy soy milk I used to buy. There is something exquisite about the smell of fresh hot soy milk in the morning. Plus it makes a fancy shmancy whipped hot cocoa and nut milks.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »
Right now it's T-shirts. I bought a bunch of short sleeve scoop neck long underwear tops from Uniqlo, and they keep me warmer and stop me from stinking up my shirts and sweaters so I can get a couple of wears per wash out of the more expensive clothes. I'm loving my long underwear bottoms too, but they're much more than a year old.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 08:39:53 AM »
Last summer we had three weeks to refurbish and furnish a foreclosed 1,350 square foot home that had been vacant for three years before we opened it back up as a weekly beach cottage rental. We could have been a great reality series, closing on house on July 9 and getting out on Aug. 1 to take advantage of premium August rentals.

Among our best Craigslist scores:

$125 - 18 pieces of commercial-grade patio/pool furniture (six chaise lounges, 10 chairs, and two large tables) from an apartment complex that had upgraded theirs.

$200 - IKEA kitchen table and six chairs from a young couple that was moving. (It's really tough to find a cheap quality dinette set on short notice. Thankfully I spotted this ad 15 minutes after it was posted.)

$125 - 3 high-end leather bar stools that would have been $150 apiece or more from a guy moving out of his 8,000 square foot house.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:41:32 AM by LiveLean »

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »
Before I went more Mustachian, I bought a Sonos wireless speaker system. The speakers are wireless, have their own network, tie into Pandora or your digital music collection, and sound pretty darn good. I LOVE being able to choose music and play it throughout the house, and control it from my phone and computer. You can play different things in different rooms and move speakers around. If I want a specific genre of music I just dial it up through Pandora. If I want to hear one of my albums I just dial it up.

The speakers were pretty expensive, but hopefully should last forever. As a whole-house system, it sure beats running wires everywhere. And most importantly, it has truly increased my quality of life. The house is full of music whenever I want it, which is every day.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »
Probably my drysuit, enabling me to dive in cold water a lot more comfortably.  Sadly, there are a lot more expensive scuba-related items I could list, but I think the drysuit had the largest impact. Well, that and my sidemount gear... Probably about 5k on equipment last year, sigh.

Oh how I love my expensive, non-mustachian hobby. Thankfully, I'm pretty much at the end of the buying phase until something breaks/needs upgraded or I take up rebreather diving (noooo!!!).