Author Topic: WTF moments!!  (Read 10165 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: WTF moments!!
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
Following.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »

I looked him straight in the eye and said, in a calm voice, enunciating this very distinctly, "When I and my programmers write such bad code that we need pagers, I will find another line of work."   And then i just looked at him.  Didn't say another word.

I'm trying to imagine such a utopian world where software was patched that quickly...

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2019, 05:08:06 AM »
So many WTF moments...The most bizarre one being woken from a deep sleep at 5am to be told I had to come in straight away because there was water coming out from under a door in the centre I worked in. WTF? I'm a doctor!

Lessons learned after decades of WTFs:
1. never give anyone at work your personal mobile ( unless you are friends )
2. use the work phone for work.
3. turn it off when you are not at work, unless you are officially on call.
4. don't say stuff like" any problems give me a call, anytime", unless you mean it
5. when asked "can I call you on your day off" say NO and direct them to the appropriate person covering you
6. make sure you have someone covering you at all times you are not at work

And yeah, save for FIRE because even strict work/life boundaries are sometimes not enough.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2019, 11:07:01 PM »
An eight year old girl in my music class was agitated and yelled at me, "Go curl up in a corner, b--ch and die!"  I figured it was time to retire from teaching. The best years were behind me.

heiding

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2019, 04:25:26 PM »
I used to run into a boss who worked late hours (came in late and worked late).  I came in during normal working hours (8 or 8:30 am) and routinely worked about 10-11 hours.  He would show up for the day as I was going home and every time would say "leaving so soon"?  In a sing song voice. 
I think he meant it as a joke, but it made me feel guilty, especially if other people were around.
Finally I just started to answer him with "Late lunch!"   

I have the opposite problem, where I got so used to working 9 - 5:45 when my kids were at school (couldn't drop them off before 8:45) that I have kept that habit.  So I work 9 - 6, 7 or 8 depending on how much is going on.  I get grief for this as the rest of the staff on my floor mostly start between 6 - 7:30 and leave around 4pm, so they don't see how late I work.  I got in at 8am the other day to meet a deadline - and I'd been there till 8pm the night before - and one co-worker said 'oh, did you wet the bed?' in front of the whole floor - with a smarmy grin.   I'm often in before her and always stay later.

I'll never understand why people think its okay to put co-workers down in front of others.

I need a good comeback!

I would have started saying something like "FINALLY... about time you showed up! We were about to send out the search party!"

But I can definitely sympathize with the early schedule and being looked at like a slacker for leaving after putting in the full days' hours.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2019, 03:26:10 AM »
Was self employed with up to one point nearly 50 employees all of which seemed to have one problem or another.
Was 60lbs over weight and dying a little bit more each day.
Profitability was slipping
Lawsuits were increasing
My stress level was to the point I had to get out or I was going to burst.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »
I used to run into a boss who worked late hours (came in late and worked late).  I came in during normal working hours (8 or 8:30 am) and routinely worked about 10-11 hours.  He would show up for the day as I was going home and every time would say "leaving so soon"?  In a sing song voice. 
I think he meant it as a joke, but it made me feel guilty, especially if other people were around.

I would have started saying something like "FINALLY... about time you showed up! We were about to send out the search party!"

But I can definitely sympathize with the early schedule and being looked at like a slacker for leaving after putting in the full days' hours.
LOL!  Love it! 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2019, 04:46:02 AM »

One of my friends worked in a project management position where he said they kept ridiculous hours, but weren't very efficient during the day. He was, and got all his work finished by 5pm. He took to leaving his coat and bag at his desk when he went home in the afternoon so it looked like he was still on a site visit.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2019, 05:36:39 AM »
First job out of school, and sitting down with my manager for one our monthly performance check-ins. I'm working a 45-50 hour week regularly, but that's apparently not enough.

Manager: "You have been doing good work, but we need more of it. Whenever you have free time in the evenings or on weekend, just hop on the computer and put in a few hours."
Me (out loud):"You mean in addition to my regular office hours?"
Me (in my head): "No, fuck you."

And that's when I started fixing up my resume to apply for new jobs.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »

One of my friends worked in a project management position where he said they kept ridiculous hours, but weren't very efficient during the day. He was, and got all his work finished by 5pm. He took to leaving his coat and bag at his desk when he went home in the afternoon so it looked like he was still on a site visit.

That's a trick some folks do in the military.  We all wear hats with our uniforms, so some folks will bring a second one to work and leave it on the desk.

"he must be somewhere in the building. His hat is still here."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:15:38 PM by Travis »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »
Well, this just happened...

Manager: We haven't been able to find anyone with your qualifications to replace you when you leave.
Me: Oh, that's too bad.
Manager: We found one person, but she doesn't have a license. Do you think we can still hire her?
Me: Let me explain to you very slowly and clearly what it might mean to the company if she makes a mistake in her work and a Very Bad Thing happens. The clients could sue you and you would have no recourse because a license is not just a piece of paper. It is issued by a governing body who provides oversight over this person's work in case something goes wrong.

Sigh...in my industry, a license is akin to having a medical license or a pilot's license. There is a possibility that bad things may happen and lives may be lost. Do you really want to put someone with supposedly the educational qualifications but No License To Practice in this role? Just so that you can make more money? It's like hiring someone who says, "I can fly planes. Sure I can. I went to aviation school and all that. I just don't have a license because my home country doesn't do flying licenses. We just get the aviation diploma (after reading a bunch of books and taking a bunch of tests; we don't actually have to fly a plane to pass), and that counts as a license allowing us to fly planes." The company has never seen this person fly a plane, and all of it is based on what this person says she can do. And now the company wants to hire this person to fly planes. [facepalm]

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2019, 07:21:56 PM »
re Freedomin5:  It is normal for commercial pilots to have there first flight in a new-to-them type of aircraft with only having flow it in the simulator prior :-)  Granted they would have had tons of hours prior in other aircraft and been checked out by a half dozen inspectors by that point.