Author Topic: Would you take this job?  (Read 8153 times)

coffeelover

• Stubble
Would you take this job?
« on: December 07, 2015, 07:40:13 AM »
After taxes, daycare for two preschoolers, who are almost 4 this month and 3 next March--- BUT ---not gas I would be bringing home an additional 948.00 a month.

We do already have the kids in VERY part-time preschool which costs us 313 a month. So if you computed the costs without the 313 taken away from the original take home amount I would only be bringing home 595 a month.

However the almost 4 year old has delays and needs pre-school to get her to the level she is supposed to be at. She has been in OT for quite some time. We are ending it the end of this month but may pick it back up later next year depending on her progress. (kids OT said kid is fine to take a long break as long as we work with her at home)
So if I were to work- the kid who needs preschool so badly could get it full-time...

We have 4 kids at home, 2 of them are my step-kids and are here part-time. There are times I drive step-kids to activities on the days that they are here. If I work no-one could drive them or their mom would have to find other arrangements. My husband could not do it as he works to far away and he tends to travel about 1 week a month, sometimes less, sometimes more.

My 2 younger kids would not be going to unpaid school until Sept 2017, and then Sept 2018. So essentially we will be paying 1k a month for daycare for the next 2 years.

Is it worth it? I can't figure out if it is or not.

The job offers 0 benefits, will never be eligible for benefits. I do have benefits thru my husbands work though.

Right now I have it pretty good, I do all the transporting of kids to various activities (we tend to do a lot of free stuff as well) and I get lots of time to myself. Which I desperately need. One day a week for 4 hours the preschoolers go to a free moms day out program. They've been going for 1 1/2 years. If I get a job I would have to give up this free program. So as it stands now I feel really selfish because I get essentially 3 mornings to myself. After all the driving and errands - the time to myself is only around an hour though.

But we also need money. We are not putting away money into retirement at the moment, but we have 0 debt other then a mortgage payment.

Also my husband has it pretty good. (at least he says so) I handle all the household chores, he does help when he is home. I do all the errands and kid transports and I do the majority of the cooking. My husband and I do enjoy this arrangement as it causes us less stress.

2 1/2 years ago I quit a nice cushy job with a nice paycheck to be a sahm because our lives were so stressed from both of us working and trying to raise all these kids. (don't worry no more kids happening here)
I do just for sake of honestly have a 19 year old child that just moved out 2 months ago. I do help her out with little things, a toaster here, some towels here, etc..

We are soon to be having a payment of 300 a month for braces for one of the step-kids, (this is after ins and the mothers portion)

(basically what I would bring home in income is what my husband pays out in child support. I'm all for child support it just sucks that it is affecting our lives so negatively especially since he pays for a ton of things for the kids, including all insurance)

Do I suck it up and get a job? Which would allow us to put money away for retirement, (my potential new work does not offer any retirement benefits) add to our very low emergency fund, and replace our air conditioner at the tune of 4k?

Husband is no help in telling me his thoughts. His words to me last night were, "if you find a job thats the right fit for you, then you get a job." He is such a politician with his words, even with me his wife. It drives me crazy!

Family members all say, "stay home, take care of the kids," its to stressful with both of you working."

But we have no family close to us, the closest family is almost 1 1/2 hours away.

I see financially after typing this out that I should get a job, but the stress of working and these kids, SMH.

chubbybunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Would you take this job?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 07:54:41 AM »
First of all, let me say right away that there is no RIGHT answer for this.  Kudos to your husband for leaving it up to you. 

I was in the same situation as you, though I continued to work when my children were young.  My oldest (15) has high functioning autism, and I believed that putting her in day care would help her build those social skills she was so sorely lacking. My youngest (4) has a hearing impairment and delayed speech, so will understandingly be delayed at bit in reading. 

However, I'm pretty sure I could do a better job working with them one on one for 1-2 hours a day, than what they get all day in a classroom full of kids.  Nothing against the teachers, it's just a math thing.  They can only give your child so much individual attention in their day. 

My only suggestion is to take out the notion that they NEED daycare.  There are free websites with lots of information on helping prepare them for school.  Your OT can also help with what to do at home.   Teachers are fabulous people, but they aren't doing anything magic that you can't do yourself.  Looking back, I do wish I had more time to spend with my kids when they were younger.  But that might just be my personal story...  YMMV

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 07:57:44 AM »
Why don't you post a case study so we can take a look at your income and expenses and maybe make some suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 08:23:29 AM »
Why don't you post a case study so we can take a look at your income and expenses and maybe make some suggestions?

income coming in after child support health ins and taxes
$4008.00
100.00 a month payment to us from my oldest daughter for her car insurance.

Costs going out for all bills
Mortgage                                                                                                           $1,294.87
expected doctor visits monthly                                                                               $90.00
Netflix                                                                                                               $7.99   
Verizon  (husbands cell phone, he won't change carriers)                                      $48.56   
Kitty Wireless    (my cell phone)                                                                              $42.95   
Comcast   Internet                                                                                                   $24.99   
DTE                                                                                                                          $85.19   
Consumer Energy   (this will be going up due to winter)                                        $87.97   
Montessori                                                                                                          $313.00   
Auto Insurance                                                                                                      $226.05   

The following are for food etc on a monthly basis

Food / Home Supplies, animal food                                                                       -  $800.00 (already shop at Aldi and use coupons, one of the kids has celiacs disease so she can't have gluten)

Gas                                                                                                                        - $300.00

Play Money                                                                                                       -  $100.00 ( Husband and I only, 50 each, we use this for gaming, a book, a new phone etc.)

Co-pays & Pharmacy                                                                                            -  $100.00 (emergency-- we learned our lesson to have this due to problematic children and the issues that crop up.)

Kids activities/church                                                                                           -  $90.00 (this is usually kid activity fees that crop up from the ex-wife not paying, then the kid presents the bill to us. We've tried to fix it and it just causes other issues. We deal with it as best as we can and do say no. This does include stuff for the younger 2 kids as well. and 10 of it is to the church)

Auto maintenance                                                                                                   - $80.00 ( we will save this budget if we need to do something major, new tires, etc, or it gets eaten by other unexpected costs from having 4 kids and an ex-wife who expects husband to pay for 100% everything)

Home improvement                                                                                                   - $80.00 (we will save this budget if something major needs to happen, ceiling fan, new refrigerator etc)r it gets eaten by other unexpected costs from having 4 kids and an ex-wife who expects husband to pay for 100% everything)

Travel                                                                                                                      -$200.00 (husbands work, but his work will reimburse)

Clothing                                                                                                                   -$40.00 (usually kids underwear, shoes. I already shop thrift stores)

New braces bill starting in Jan 2016                                                                          -$300.00

Hope this helps.

edit: we do carryover each month 300 to help cover the mortgage. We've been doing this since we moved into this home. So essentially we are 300 ahead on mortgage.

edit 2: we are planning on hopefully paying off the braces bill once we get our tax return. We are estimating low that the return will be right around 2k. which would pay off braces and leave us with 0 tax return money but we would gain back 300 a month.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:30:43 AM by coffeelover »

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:35:05 AM »
I do not have children.

However...given what people charge for daycare....if I did have children, I think I'd watch 2-3 kids for other people. Maybe some doggie daycare as well if you're "in town" versus in the sticks.

It would work out to more money than a job with no bennies.

I've known people who do it on the sly, and people who license and do the whole nine yards of paperwork. Both make more money than a retail type job.

Doggie daycare runs at least $20-25 a day per dog in most cities. If you have a backyard and choose your dogs wisely....ok for stay at home.

Other stay at home options: there are telephone ordering (catalogs, etc.) companies that are legit but they're few and far between. Most involve a quiet space though and tough with small kids, I'd imagine.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
I did forget to add that I do have some income coming in here and there.

Recently I was recruited to do some videos on breastfeeding and formula feeding.
I was paid 300 for 2 hours worth of work and I got to do it in my home.
This is whats helping us to pay for birthdays and Christmas.

I'm also doing a car study right now that is paying me 500 once I turn the car back in.

So I do have income, I just never know when something is going to come up and how much.
With the two above I got really lucky. Not sure I will get this lucky again.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »
Without knowing the plans, your phone isn't that much cheaper than your husband's. You could combine them onto the same Verizon plan and most likely have a bill less than the two combined.

I also agree with your husband's position on you taking a job. Yes you working would provide more income that you could save but it doesn't sound to me like you need to work to help pay the bills. So you need to do what makes you happy and understand the financial effects of the choice.

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
No I would not leave all my babies for some meager amount of money when in just a few years, you'll have the rest of your life to save and scrimp. These are formative years, and with the developmental delays you relayed, the child NEEDS his mother to get over these. Not a fill in.  I hope you stay home and enjoy this special time with your kids, it will never happen again. In a few years, they'll have friends and be able to be somewhat independent, until then, they need you. As do your step kids. I'd be planning my financial future right now, while they are taking naps and such, What really interests you, what you enjoy. And take this website to heart as it has so much guidance to ensure you are on the right path anyhow that don't worry. You already have a leg up

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
My kids are 8 and 5, so we just got over the expensive childcare hump.  I am currently interviewing for jobs. 

My oldest has ASD.  I am going to have to disagree with the PP that mom can "do everything, and better".  That is a lot to put on a mom/dad.  Delayed kids need specific help oftentimes, and it can take a team just to figure out what that help should be, let alone deliver it.  My kid has gotten it, free from first the birth to 3 program, and then free from the school district.  His services have been delivered at home, in his daycare, and at school.  You can and should expect your school district to pay for preschool if he has significant enough delays. 

All that said, I don;t think any of the options you outlined are bad.  You could look at getting a weekend or evening-only retail type job, watching a kid or two part-time (part time care is always in demand, and I loved providing it as I never really wanted extra kids all the time), the full time set-up you are outlining, or continue to stay home and be insanely super frugal (which I am seeing your grocery bill as the first thing to cut- even for GF, that is quite a bit for someone who isn't saving for retirement- quit buying fake GF stuff like bread and crackers, and serve rice, corn tortillas, etc, that is my first stab in the dark at why a GF budget would be higher than a non-GF one).

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »
No, not until the kids are in school. You have way too much on your plate right now.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Adding it up, it seems like you are spending more than you earn each month, with some of it being reimbursed by your  husbands company.

Rather than take a job, I think you could do a better job fixing your budget.

The biggest one is food of $800. Even with the ridiculous spending we do, for three of use we average $400 a month. One extra kid shouldn't cost $400. Plan your meals better and you could probably cut that number way down. Your cell phones combine for $90. You can do better and keep similar service. $300 for gas seems excessive. Is some of this being reimbursed? Do you live in the country? I see $200 to $400 worth of potential savings, and that is just basic stuff.

If you are not working, then saving money should be a full time job(meaning, you plan and coupon your ass off to save every penny).

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 04:22:17 PM »
Adding it up, it seems like you are spending more than you earn each month, with some of it being reimbursed by your  husbands company.

The biggest one is food of $800. Even with the ridiculous spending we do, for three of use we average $400 a month. One extra kid shouldn't cost $400. Plan your meals better and you could probably cut that number way down. Your cell phones combine for $90. You can do better and keep similar service. $300 for gas seems excessive. Is some of this being reimbursed? Do you live in the country? I see $200 to $400 worth of potential savings, and that is just basic stuff.

If you are not working, then saving money should be a full time job(meaning, you plan and coupon your ass off to save every penny).

I'm not quite sure how to fix the food budget. This seems extremely hard to do because it covers the following.
Breakfast for myself, the 2 preschoolers and husband the entire month. Breakfast 15 times a month for my stepkids.
Lunches for myself, the 2 preschoolers and husband the entire month. (we all pack lunches if going out, or eat at home) When step-kids are here they also pack their school lunches. so around 10 to 15 days a month they have some sort of lunch from our cubboards or fridge.

dinner is always me, the two preschoolers, and husband. Then step-kids usually anywhere from 10 to 15 nights a month.

The food budget also covers diapers, and wipes. (we still use wipes)(we have potty trained so it is now down to nap time and night time only diapers)

The food budget also covers animal food, of which is about 40 a month, for a large dog and a large cat.

The food budget also covers cleaning supplies, salt for driveway, laundry detergent, salt for the softner, new hair ties, new hair brush, etc etc.

I really thought 800 a month for 6 people was good..?
If you break it down its 133.33 a person, not including animals and the household supplies.

Help me out here, how else could I cut this further?

As for the gluten free child, her mother has taught her that she has to have all the specialty stuff. I only buy so much of the bread, but gluten free child and my husband both say it is a need and if she wants it to give it to her. I can't really keep bread from her just because she has celiacs, even if it costs 5 bucks a loaf. She goes home and complains to her mother about things. I would rather buy the bread and not her the complaining from her or my husband or the ex-wife honestly.

whenever my step-kids are here I always cook gluten free for everyone. So usually meat, rice and veggie. I dont' buy all the expensive stuff, only what I've been told she needs for her lunches. This child eats more then my husband and is very expensive to feed. I don't know how else to fix this issue. She is constantly saying she is starving, she is skinny as a rail so I can't deny her food...

edit: to sum it up, we feed 6 people and 2 animals on 800  a month, plus all household supplies.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:30:49 PM by coffeelover »

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »

Thanks for your reply. I did post more info on how I didn't' think the food was that bad. Please read it and advise me further. I would greatly appreciate it.

As for the cellphones. I just looked into combining our plans, but since we do pay as you go, so no contracts our bill would be more if I switched back to Verizon. I've thought about dropping down the to the next bottom plan, but I'm always on the go and feel like I could potentially go over my data.

We do not live in the country but we don't live close to everything. We are in the suburbs and my husband has to drive some for work. Yes his mileage does get reimbursed but we have to have it at the 300 a month to cover any traveling he will do. Most of the time if he doesn't travel we only use 150 to 200 a month. But then the extra money gets eaten up by onforsen costs. We try so hard to budget everything but it is so hard with my step-kids and the random things and even lots of medical bills we are given.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
No, not until the kids are in school. You have way too much on your plate right now.

Yeah I was completely stressing today because I had a doctors appt an hour away from home.
Then I had to run back to my town to take my youngest to her specialist appt, we were late but we made it before they closed.  sigh..

Then hurry up and get home and get dinner for the kids, at this point it was past dinner time.

I'm trying to let the old arthritis ridden dog in from outside and unhook his chain,  while one kid is crying she is thirsty and begging for me to fill her cup, while the other kid is on the potty telling me she needs me to wipe her butt. All while dinner is over boiling on the stove.

If I'm this stressed out while not working, and while my husband is again away on a business trip I dont' think it would be that good to work at this point.

But yeah thanks for your thoughts.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »
First, data is not a necessity. Second, places all over have free wifi. I have no data on my cell phone. It costs me ~$12 a month. Rethink what is necessary. I'm imagining the same can go for your food.  I'm not sure what all contains gluten, but there are plenty of cheap meals out there.

MMM did a whole post on creating enough calories for an adult while keeping costs down. The simple version is have a few good meals, and the others are just there to be filling and nutritious. This means, rice, beans, and cheap frozen veggies. Meal plan each month so you can reuse and buy in bulk. Don't wast food. Some food is really cheap(pasta, rice, beans, etc...), some are really expensive(cheese, meat, certain fruits, nuts, etc...). Have more of the cheap, less of the expensive.

Yes, the celiac disease will limit you, but that is for 15 out of the 300 approximate meals. That leaves 245 times you can have super cheap pasta.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 04:45:25 PM »
First, data is not a necessity. Second, places all over have free wifi. I have no data on my cell phone. It costs me ~$12 a month. Rethink what is necessary. I'm imagining the same can go for your food.  I'm not sure what all contains gluten, but there are plenty of cheap meals out there.

MMM did a whole post on creating enough calories for an adult while keeping costs down. The simple version is have a few good meals, and the others are just there to be filling and nutritious. This means, rice, beans, and cheap frozen veggies. Meal plan each month so you can reuse and buy in bulk. Don't wast food. Some food is really cheap(pasta, rice, beans, etc...), some are really expensive(cheese, meat, certain fruits, nuts, etc...). Have more of the cheap, less of the expensive.

Yes, the celiac disease will limit you, but that is for 15 out of the 300 approximate meals. That leaves 245 times you can have super cheap pasta.

Agreed but I'm not a pasta eater either. I tend to just push it aside, it bothers my stomach but I don't have celiacs.

Husband and kids are happy with pasta but this is something we already do practically every meal that step-kids aren't here.

I also have a very picky husband, he will not eat certain types of meat. It is a strange thing with him but I can buy and its just wasted. So I have to buy a lot more things like ground turkey, and tenderloins etc. We don't eat steak, or ribs or anything like that.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »

I see pasta as a main part of a meal, such as dinner. So average 30 meals a month and we do pasta 15 of them. Then whatever else leftover husband takes to work or me and the kids eat it the next day. NO food gets wasted in my house, ever.
So I'm not understanding how pasta plays in a part in the breakfast meals or even lunches really. Lunches around here are sandwiches with lunch-meat, peanut butter and jelly. Usually a yogurt and some sort of fruit or vegetable.

We already do frozen veggies and I take food from my dad who grows a massive garden. My potato's for half the year were covered by just my dad.

edit: just to clarify, my husband doesn't feel like he gets an adequate lunch unless it includes a sandwich, chips and a yogurt. So now the kids take after their dad and he WILL not change how he eats. It took me years to get him to eat left-overs. Now he does though so he has come a long way.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:15:40 PM by coffeelover »

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 08:46:27 AM »
You should explain to him the precarious financial situation you are in. You are losing money, breaking even, or barely covering your bills each month depending on circumstances outside of your control. You are one bad break away from insolvency. Your husband gets laid off, is out of work for a few months, and boom, you are completely screwed.

This is a serious situation, and you(and him) are whining about yogurt and running out of data on your smartphone. Do you understand how ridiculous this is? At this point, I'd have to recommend you do get a job since you are unwilling to cut your budget.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »
You should explain to him the precarious financial situation you are in. You are losing money, breaking even, or barely covering your bills each month depending on circumstances outside of your control. You are one bad break away from insolvency. Your husband gets laid off, is out of work for a few months, and boom, you are completely screwed.

This is a serious situation, and you(and him) are whining about yogurt and running out of data on your smartphone. Do you understand how ridiculous this is? At this point, I'd have to recommend you do get a job since you are unwilling to cut your budget.

I"m willing to cut my food budget. I talked to husband last night and said we are going to try dropping it by 100 a month. I don't know if we can sustain it though due to things that are out of my control.

I can't help the costs my husband incurs because of his kids from his former marriage. Those costs and child support are there.

I have argued and spoken to husband numerous times about our financial situation. He is on the same page as me. We want to continue to build up. There is only so much building we can do.
We do have an emergency fund, although its only a measly one months worth of expenses. So basically nothing in my eyes.

We had a much larger emergency fund a year ago, and then emergencies happened. Well holding tank busted and flooded our basement. plus a newer fridge broke down and repairman said it was cheaper to get a new one then to fix this one. There went 700 after coupon and price matching.

Then a car broke down, then the other car needed repairs to get running right. and on and on. Believe me I want a years worth of expenses but I can't make that happen with all these costs going out the window.

I'm not whining about yogurt, I HATE yogurt. I can't help what he wants to eat. That is on him.. and if he wants a 30 cent yogurt then why should I say no to that, seriously... ?

I feel like you are saying I'm not open to criticism, in which I am. that is why I posted our monthly budget. 800 a month for food for 6 people, pet food and household supplies is not bad. According to google I seem to be right on par with where other families are. In fact less if you really do your research.

http://forum.youneedabudget.com/discussion/16140/typical-grocery-budget-family-of-5

I posted this looking for a reality check, ie:  should I get I job. I will take (what I feel is your rudeness) and analyze things further to see what the best course of action is for our family.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
If you want typical then get a job to sustain it. If you want to be a SAHP, then you need to better. I'm not intentionally being rude, I am just telling you the reality of the situation. Your finances are not good. It will take serious sacrifice to make them sound and give your family security. I'm not saying you are not open to criticism, I am saying that you and your husband(and family) are making excuses and acting like there is *nothing* you can do. There are things you can do, but they are not easy or typical. Its up to you.

Get a job or make changes. It is your life, and you will live with the consequences. I am just trying to make sure you understand that things are bad financially. Changes have to be made or you will eventually be the person visiting the payday loan store, hocking old family heirlooms, and opening up a credit card just to pay your electric bill. You don't want to do that. We don't want you to do that.

This is why I said if you, or your family, are not willing to make changes, then you should get a job. Right now, your lifestyle is unsustainable.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »
If you want typical then get a job to sustain it. If you want to be a SAHP, then you need to better. I'm not intentionally being rude, I am just telling you the reality of the situation. Your finances are not good. It will take serious sacrifice to make them sound and give your family security. I'm not saying you are not open to criticism, I am saying that you and your husband(and family) are making excuses and acting like there is *nothing* you can do. There are things you can do, but they are not easy or typical. Its up to you.

Get a job or make changes. It is your life, and you will live with the consequences. I am just trying to make sure you understand that things are bad financially. Changes have to be made or you will eventually be the person visiting the payday loan store, hocking old family heirlooms, and opening up a credit card just to pay your electric bill. You don't want to do that. We don't want you to do that.

This is why I said if you, or your family, are not willing to make changes, then you should get a job. Right now, your lifestyle is unsustainable.

Ok I've been face-punched.

I have been applying to jobs, over 85 applied to and only 2 interviews.
I feel as though its a no win battle trying to get a job.

We are trimming down our budget and will hopefully be adding everything we trim into our emergency fund.
I'm even offering pet sitting now. I made an account last night and applied to half a dozen jobs on there as well.

We are working on it. I do not want to be the one borrowing money. Those days are long gone for us.

Miskalkulation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
coffeelover-

Yes, I would say you have been severely face-punched.  Unwarrented albeit ;) That being said... It is just AN opinion.  Let's think about all the things you are currently doing... Juggling a houseful of kids, animals, etc. and all the madness that goes with it.  My spouse did this for 10 years.  And through this, homeschooled a very difficult step-child, potty trained a toddler, and totally cared for a newborn.  All with very little help from me, as I was working 50hr workweeks at a new job in a new city.

Kuddos to you!! Only years later, did I truly appreciate all the hard work he did. I don't know many men who could, or would do this...
Take a big deep breath, figure out ways you can save money, try to implement them, take some time for yourself (pedi, massage).  Don't beat yourself up.  Adding a job to this chaos would just make matters worse. (just my opinion)

Hang in there sweetheart, don't let the BIG dogs get you down!!

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »
You asked if I would take the job.
No I would not.  I would spend every spare second with the kids and find another way to make a bit more income.  Good luck.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »
You asked if I would take the job.
No I would not.  I would spend every spare second with the kids and find another way to make a bit more income.  Good luck.

I'm not going to take the job. They basically told me I would stay at that low wage for years. The chances for a raise come after 5 years and then it may only be 1 to 2 %.
The job would not be worth it.
It was through an staffing agency, but a very small one and with the type of job I would never be hired in full time. I would be a permanent member of this staffing agency. No benefits, no holiday pay. Nothing.
So not worth it to me

IF I go back to work its going to be for a great job that offers some nice perks. Holiday pay, 401k etc.

For now I am staying home. I will more then likely try and continue to be a sahm for the next 3 years. Then we will re-access.

Husband and I have already discussed our budget and are lowering some areas, such as food. I'm researching phone plans to try an drop down as low as possible, or maybe eliminating data all together.

I love my kids and I do want to make sure they are succeeding and learning in life. I feel I can handle this better while not working.

Tonight I started working on their reading. I always read to them, but this was a legit lets learn to read this book.

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 07:24:35 PM »
coffeelover-

Yes, I would say you have been severely face-punched.  Unwarrented albeit ;) That being said... It is just AN opinion.  Let's think about all the things you are currently doing... Juggling a houseful of kids, animals, etc. and all the madness that goes with it.  My spouse did this for 10 years.  And through this, homeschooled a very difficult step-child, potty trained a toddler, and totally cared for a newborn.  All with very little help from me, as I was working 50hr workweeks at a new job in a new city.

Kuddos to you!! Only years later, did I truly appreciate all the hard work he did. I don't know many men who could, or would do this...
Take a big deep breath, figure out ways you can save money, try to implement them, take some time for yourself (pedi, massage).  Don't beat yourself up.  Adding a job to this chaos would just make matters worse. (just my opinion)

Hang in there sweetheart, don't let the BIG dogs get you down!!

kudos to your husband!

I don't think I could do that homeschooling. Not with the issues my almost 4 year old presents.
I am working on ways to save money. Husband and I are going to drop down a few areas in our budget.
Adding a job right now with 4 kids here, animals, at least 1 OT appt a week and then usually one out of the 6 of us has a doctors appt, just working would make it so much more stressful. I get that, but I wanted to help financially because it feels like we're going down a black hole.

Things are going to change, slowly. I will continue doing my little side surveys and focus groups that net me some extra money. Usually those the extra money I get from these money makers go towards my bills, medical and dental. I wish my medical/dental needs weren't so high.

But I thank you for your advice, it is appreciated.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »
So, food. No facepunches, just a few suggestions. I have friends with celiac, so I will give you what I have learned from them. The cost of the gluten-free baked goods was killing them, so they went to the thrift store, bought a breadmaker for $5, and made their own gluten-free bread. There are many recipes on the internet. (You will have to buy a few weird things like guar gum.) if you Google "Paleo diet" you will find a ton of gluten-free recipes, since that diet avoids gluten.

Yogurt you can make yourself, or you can buy giant containers of store-brand plain yogurt and add frozen berries to it, or whatever flavoring your kids like. (I like Yoplait lemon yogurt, but it's very pricey, so I mix it with plain yogurt from Aldi and add some lemon juice. I like it better than straight Yoplait now.)

You can do this!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 07:49:48 PM »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »
http://paleoonabudget.com

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 10:24:57 PM »
So, food. No facepunches, just a few suggestions. I have friends with celiac, so I will give you what I have learned from them. The cost of the gluten-free baked goods was killing them, so they went to the thrift store, bought a breadmaker for $5, and made their own gluten-free bread. There are many recipes on the internet. (You will have to buy a few weird things like guar gum.) if you Google "Paleo diet" you will find a ton of gluten-free recipes, since that diet avoids gluten.

Yogurt you can make yourself, or you can buy giant containers of store-brand plain yogurt and add frozen berries to it, or whatever flavoring your kids like. (I like Yoplait lemon yogurt, but it's very pricey, so I mix it with plain yogurt from Aldi and add some lemon juice. I like it better than straight Yoplait now.)

You can do this!

I'll price out the plain yogurt from Aldi and add in the price of a bag of berries. Then see if its cheaper by comparing it to the canisters. ( I actually enjoy doing stuff like this, so thanks for the idea )

I will also look for breadmakers at the thrift store and see what I come up with. The past 2 times I've had to buy GF bread, it was 2 a loaf, and then 3 a loaf. I had coupons both times.
But yes I wouldn't' mind making the gf bread from scratch.

I make gf items all the time. Everybody loves them when I do them homemade. I tend to just substitute gf pancake mix instead of flour and everything always comes out awesome.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »

I would agree with this. See what you can make at home. I make my own yogurt (and many other things) and it is easy easy easy to do. The cost is little more than the milk and your husband can decide what flavours he wants. A spoonful of jam, chopped fruit, vanilla...

There is a post on here where people talk about what they make at home. You would be surprised at the potential savings as well as health benefits from avoiding all the nasties in processed food. We buy less and less pre-made and find that all keeps us out of the store, which prevents spending.

Definitely see what GF stuff you can make at home. The GF stuff at the supermarket is extortionate. If you did look into a paleo diet as pbkmaine suggests, it could be a very cost effective way of providing a GF diet, without paying a fortune.

Another area to chip away at costs would be to make your own household cleaners and work very hard to bring in reusables rather than consumables. I mean things like no paper towel (use an old cut up towel instead), no ziploc bags, no aluminium foil etc.

That kind of thing will shave $$$ off your bills. $5 here and there soon adds up :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!