Author Topic: Will todays high paying jobs continue to pay high?  (Read 3378 times)

firewalker

• Bristles
Will todays high paying jobs continue to pay high?
« on: November 14, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »
Used to be a software job was the hot item...sure fire placement and good pay. Now, a lot of applicants for a given position. Whats the next hot item to become passe? Engineer? Something else?

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
Re: Will todays high paying jobs continue to pay high?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
If I knew that answer, I wouldn't need Vanguard.   

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:31:47 PM »
Financial Planners.

Computer can analyse the entire universe of investment fund, insurance, tax and retirement strategies and pick the best one for you and several million other people.

And it doesn't need to be paid a commission for it.

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
Interesting because there is another thread about IT careers and one poster says his company always has opening for people.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »
Who's to say. Everyone has always thought they would, until they didn't.

bigstack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »
medical has been hot the last 5-10 years.... as baby boomers age home nursing will probably pay well...not saying 6 figures but decent money.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 11:54:03 PM »
Anyone who thinks there's a weak job market for competent software developers is simply incorrect.

Number of applications for a position is a poor proxy for how competitive the job market is. See this and this for some thoughts on why that is.

Simply put: a large number of people claim they can program who really cannot. Many of them even have computer science degrees! They keep applying for job after job. When they are selected for an interview, they are incapable of implementing the simplest of algorithms.

People who can actually do the work are in super high demand. Since I graduated I have worked for three separate companies. At each place, we were hiring qualified developers as fast as we could interview them. It's not simply a matter of posting a position, taking applications, and picking the single best person who applies. We're trying to find good people. If nobody passes the interview process, we hire nobody. If two good candidates come along, we hire them both.

As for what's going to be good in the future, that's somewhat hard to predict. Lots of jobs are being automated, replaced by AIs or robots. Anything that involves driving will probably not be a valid job in a decade or two, and that's just one example. I like to believe that software developers, being some of the people whose job can be to automate all the other work, will be one of the last jobs to be automated out of existence. Health care is probably a good one too, as long as this Dilbert strip is still a few years away.