Author Topic: Why are you even interested in doing this?  (Read 37994 times)

imustachemystash

• Bristles
Re: Why are you even interested in doing this?
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
I just realized I never answered this even though I think about it all the time.

I'm doing this for my wife.  She works crazy hours and always has.  There's no way she would make it to traditional retirement age without burnout, even though she (claims she) likes her job.  I work a fair number myself, and I've never liked my job.  There are weeks that go by where I feel like I haven't seen her at all.  I have this grand vision where I'll actually get to spend quality time with her everyday.  And dogs.  We need dogs too, but between working hours and crazy COL here, it's not feasible until FIRE.

Me, my wife, and our pack of dogs, enjoying the last 45 years of life together.  It's glorious!

I'm like you.  I'm doing this for my husband.  He sits at a desk all day for his job and I know it won't be healthy for him if he continues to do it until age 65.  I work part time and it's fabulous!  I want him to experience the same joy. 

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »

Since then, I've traded in the SUV for a used Civic, have no credit card debt, and constantly question any purchase including coffee at the local Wawa.  I increased my pre retirement contribution to 10% in January and recently to 15%, I have an IRA that I plan to max this year, and I have money in a savings account.  I have all my bills for the next month paid around the 20th of the month before because I pay them the moment they arrive.  I don't know that i'll retire early since I get full benefits at 51, but not having to worry about money between now and then is amazing. 

Those are all awesome improvements, good for you! Doesn't it feel amazing to be in such control now and building your wealth, stability, and independence? I don't know if you've had enough time pass with these changes to start seeing the incredible compounding effects, but once it gets going it's equally amazing.

I have a retirement pension too (fed), but I'm giving up some of the pretty sweet benefits in exchange for retiring early. Fortunately it's not "all or nothing"; I'll still get a percentage of my salary for life, but obviously smaller than if I stayed for many more years. Also by not staying until official retirement age (minimum 56 for me), I'm forgoing the federal health care for life, social security supplemental annuity, etc. But none of that stuff is worth the freedom I now have, and I feel like I've hit more than enough already, so I left. Wonder if yours is more of an all-or-nothing situation? Might be worth investigating if you haven't already.

It is amazing!  I looked back at my budget spreadsheet from June of last year and my spending has dropped about $1,000/month.  I also started tracking my net worth and since the same time period, it has risen 30k to a 6-digit figure.  Admittedly, a large part of that is a house that is probably overvalued per Zillow but just seeing that number is motivation to keep it up!

I'm on state retirement and it's the same way.  I was vested at five years and will get a pay out no matter what but staying (obviously) increases it and I also get free healthcare after retirement if I stay 15 years.

I bolded the one portion because it stood out to me.  I love my job and it has great benefits, but we only get one spin on this merry go round...may as well live it!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »
My wife and I are blessed to own 5 acres on a B.C. Gulf Island - Washingtonians are familiar with the San Juan Islands, which are just across an invisible watery border from our place. People who have been to these islands know it for the paradise it is - especially from June to September.

I currently work and slave in the city, but our island property is where I feel I BELONG. It physically pains me not to be there more often. But thanks to a dozen Mustachian years of saving and investing heavily, I am at the point where I can be there more often than not.

The property, full of towering Douglas Firs, is a blank canvas. I want to build a cabin WITH MY OWN HANDS. I want to have a massive garden. I want to catch my own fish and crabs, dig for my own clams, harvest my own oysters. I have done many of these things in short spurts over the years but it always ends and I head back to the city and a much less satisfying life.

This is the life I want, all the time. That's why have been a Mustachian far longer than this site has been in existence. This site hasn't been a revelation for me. It has been a CONFIRMATION that it has been the right path all along.

Hello Jon_Snow. I read this post and just loved it! Then I saw your name and realized you were the guy I quoted in my "Say Hi and Indroduce Yourself" post. I realized I really liked your writing style. Reading your posts makes me dream of going to visit the Pacific Northwest and kayak amongst the orcas. I took a work trip once to Alaska and went a few days earlier to kayak amongst the glaciers in Seward. It was so beautiful!

The new condo I bought is on an internal canal with a dock, just blocks from the beach in south Florida. I don't plan on getting a boat, but I do want to get a kayak to cruise around Biscayne Bay.

How are your ER plans going? I just read some of your posts from a year back.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »
When we started this process, I wanted a happy husband. He is very sensitive to financial stress. He wanted enough money to enable us to retire at age 55. Also, he believed that I couldn't keep up working 70-80 hour weeks without burning out (true enough). So we re-structured our finances and I eventually found a job that only took 40-50 hours out of my life each week.

As it turns out, I have entered a phase of my career where the hours are increasing again, weekend work is more common than not, and my nights are sometimes broken up with on-call issues. I miss my calm, healthy life.

I want to live easy on the earth. I do not want to be the reason that other people suffer because I am taking too much or wasting too much. Minimalism isn't easy for me and I too easily slide into mindless accumulation, but I very much want to live as a person who cares more for the earth and more for other people than I do for things.

Finally, I want to do work that matters, even if it is low-paid or non-paid. I want enough financial stability to ensure a happy husband, a healthy life, and meaningful work.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
One thing I want to add is...because I am SLOW and I love it! Everyone is in such a rush and they want me to be as rushed as them too. I want to be able to do things slowly and enjoy them. Slow cooking, slow eating, slow exercise (endurance), slow...well you get my point...this could go in a totally non-PC direction.

I love this! It is amazing how clear things are when you approach them slowly and how incredibly satisfying they can be as well. Life can be a meditation when approached with intention and measured focus.

nicknageli

« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2014, 06:56:26 AM »
I want to live easy on the earth. I do not want to be the reason that other people suffer because I am taking too much or wasting too much. Minimalism isn't easy for me and I too easily slide into mindless accumulation, but I very much want to live as a person who cares more for the earth and more for other people than I do for things.

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »
You nailed it in your post. It is about freedom. That's why I paid off my mortgage in 2 years and that's why I continue to invest and work toward FI.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

Hello Jon_Snow. I read this post and just loved it! Then I saw your name and realized you were the guy I quoted in my "Say Hi and Indroduce Yourself" post. I realized I really liked your writing style. Reading your posts makes me dream of going to visit the Pacific Northwest and kayak amongst the orcas. I took a work trip once to Alaska and went a few days earlier to kayak amongst the glaciers in Seward. It was so beautiful!

The new condo I bought is on an internal canal with a dock, just blocks from the beach in south Florida. I don't plan on getting a boat, but I do want to get a kayak to cruise around Biscayne Bay.

How are your ER plans going? I just read some of your posts from a year back.

Daisy, I am glad that you liked my "close encounter"story from my intro post - I had forgotten that I had written that, though I will NEVER forget that day itself - still gives me chills to think on it. And I have many other stories of my time paddling in the Salish Sea, and many more to come! Just returning from "my island" and back to the city life this morning I saw a pod of 4 transient orcas giving chase to some sea lions... the ferry was past before I could see the result of the hunt, but I would wager that it did not end well for the sea lions. ;) It was as though nature was chiding me for returning to my hum drum job in the city by showing me yet another wildlife spectacle. Alas, about 8 more months of work left before ER (I'm 42) and won't have to leave.

I plan to start a blog to document my road to ER/FI and share pictures and videos (mostly GoPro kayak footage) of my Gulf Island/San Juan Island/Baja adventures - plus gardening, fruit and wildberry picking, fishing, crabbing, shellfish harvesting, and prawning stuff... and hopefully document the start of our cabin building *fingers crossed*. A hobby farm could be a possibility down the road as well. So many plans.... and will actually have the time for them soon. Surreal that this is happening.

I hope this blog will appeal to the MMM crowd... to all the frugal adventurists out there, stay tuned! I will unveil it in the "Blogroll"section when its ready.

Like I've mentioned before, I was "Mustachian" long before it became a "thing", but this community has managed to convince me that I am not strange for pursuing such a goal as ER in my 40's. For a long time I wondered if I was delusional. No longer.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2014, 05:23:18 AM »
Living far below your means allows you to give radically.  Which is more satisfying than materialism / idolizing "stuff".
Or, something similar:  Being financially independent means you can volunteer your time to causes that matter to you . . . on your own schedule.

I have to admit, my main motivations for frugality have to do with my own long-term security, but these are secondary reasons for me. 

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2014, 06:49:38 AM »
I am interested in MMM more for the philosophical and countercultural ideal behind it more than anything else, especially the idea of questioning what society tells you is normal. 

I feel like most people go through life not questioning if there is better way to live life without being a slave to the stuff you own.

I also really like the undercurrent of gratitude that runs through the posts.  I think it is really important to realize how amazing we have it in order to really live a happy life and keep the proper perspective.

I really think once you really embrace these ideas, the financial part is just the icing on the cake.  It just flows from the realization that life is awesome, if you just push the meaningless crap out of the way. 

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2014, 07:34:33 AM »
I am interested in MMM more for the philosophical and countercultural ideal behind it more than anything else, especially the idea of questioning what society tells you is normal. 

I feel like most people go through life not questioning if there is better way to live life without being a slave to the stuff you own.

I also really like the undercurrent of gratitude that runs through the posts.  I think it is really important to realize how amazing we have it in order to really live a happy life and keep the proper perspective.

I really think once you really embrace these ideas, the financial part is just the icing on the cake.  It just flows from the realization that life is awesome, if you just push the meaningless crap out of the way.

Thank you.  Well said.  :)    I sure didn't question my spending before I got here.   I was an unconscious consumer and I thought I wasn't doing too badly.  I am really grateful that I got here though and I am sure learning a lot.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:53 AM »
Why wouldn't I be interested?  Find your true priorities in life, find a way to fund that lifestyle, and have an early escape from the hamster wheel.

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
Was always somewhat gifted in school so always strove to do what was "right".  Ended up doing 4 year degree and got my CPA designation shortly thereafter; as well that was what someone like me was supposed to do afterall.  From Day 1 of working - I absolutely hated it.  Hated everything about the work
-hated being told what to do
-hated getting up early
-hated politics
-hated the commute
-hated the annual reviews
-hated 'business casual'
-hated having to watch my language
-hated sitting in a box when the weather outside was beautiful
-hated the hours
-hated internal and external "customers"
-hated the measly 2 weeks vacation
-hated the very wealthy partners who continued the 70 hour work weeks for.....well, I'm not sure why

Also being truthful, I am somewhat anti-social...well at least in a work setting, and really never had an interest in fostering work relationships.  I just wanted to get my work done and go home.  Most cases that still required working long hours while in some cases I'd be done early on any given day and would be bored out of my skull waiting for 5:00 to roll around

I'm still plugging away nearly 20 years later but the end is in sight. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:36:00 PM by MMMdude »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »
I have known people where life was really short so I think for me it is about having the time to do what I want, only work on what I want to and have the time to help people that I know that truly are in need.  I  helped people when I worked F. T. but it is so much easier when you are only working p.t. for yourself.  None of us know how much time we have so to be watching the time click by while we are doing "face time" in a job does not feel good-even if you like the work.   I think the key is flexibility-if more of us had that we would probably be more productive on the job as well.    sometimes I think we should be more like dogs-happy in the moment-of course we all know that cats carry grudges:))

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2014, 01:58:22 AM »
I want to live like a child: get up and have some breakfast, go out and play with the dog, get hungry, come in and eat lunch, take nap, go out and play, get hungry, come in and eat dinner, watch my favorite tv show, go to bed.

This.

I'd actually be worried about being FI or RE now because I'd think That i should be doing something useful or worthwhile. If the above was an option, I'd be happy I think. I know it's self-emposed 'shoulds' but actually being able to live a little contented life like that would prob do me. With a little learning thrown in for intellectual stimulation. Perhaps play with the as yet not born kids instead of the dog? Why must life be any more 'worthy' than that?

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2014, 04:27:30 AM »

I agree with you. :)

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2014, 05:34:54 AM »
    sometimes I think we should be more like dogs-happy in the moment-of course we all know that cats carry grudges:))

My daughter and I were just talking about this!  I think we should all try to emulate our dogs (well, in attitude, anyway).  In a Dean Koontz book at the end all people have reached nirvana because they can see their dogs' dreams.  ;-)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2014, 07:34:30 PM »
One thing I want to add is...because I am SLOW and I love it! Everyone is in such a rush and they want me to be as rushed as them too. I want to be able to do things slowly and enjoy them. Slow cooking, slow eating, slow exercise (endurance), slow...well you get my point...this could go in a totally non-PC direction.

I love this! It is amazing how clear things are when you approach them slowly and how incredibly satisfying they can be as well. Life can be a meditation when approached with intention and measured focus.

That is just beautiful!

The group of people assembled here is truly amazing and inspiring. I'd love to meet more people like this that enjoy the simpler things in life.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »
Daisy, I am glad that you liked my "close encounter"story from my intro post - I had forgotten that I had written that, though I will NEVER forget that day itself - still gives me chills to think on it. And I have many other stories of my time paddling in the Salish Sea, and many more to come! Just returning from "my island" and back to the city life this morning I saw a pod of 4 transient orcas giving chase to some sea lions... the ferry was past before I could see the result of the hunt, but I would wager that it did not end well for the sea lions. ;) It was as though nature was chiding me for returning to my hum drum job in the city by showing me yet another wildlife spectacle. Alas, about 8 more months of work left before ER (I'm 42) and won't have to leave.

I plan to start a blog to document my road to ER/FI and share pictures and videos (mostly GoPro kayak footage) of my Gulf Island/San Juan Island/Baja adventures - plus gardening, fruit and wildberry picking, fishing, crabbing, shellfish harvesting, and prawning stuff... and hopefully document the start of our cabin building *fingers crossed*. A hobby farm could be a possibility down the road as well. So many plans.... and will actually have the time for them soon. Surreal that this is happening.

I hope this blog will appeal to the MMM crowd... to all the frugal adventurists out there, stay tuned! I will unveil it in the "Blogroll"section when its ready.

Like I've mentioned before, I was "Mustachian" long before it became a "thing", but this community has managed to convince me that I am not strange for pursuing such a goal as ER in my 40's. For a long time I wondered if I was delusional. No longer.

I'm looking forward to your blog. :-)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2014, 09:00:46 AM »
I realized I wanted to retire super early after a particularly crazy couple of months where I was working til 1 or 2 am and weekends. I had a nightmare where I was at work (top floor of a very tall building) and a tornado was coming right at us. I couldn't stop to evacuate since I was on DEADLINE dammit, so I continued to work as the tornado fell over the building and ripped the roof off and swept me and all of the office up in its funnel. I did a movie-like slow motion fall towards the ground. I remember a slight feeling of regret that I wasn't going to finish, and then a calm descended over me that maybe was a good thing.

Upon awakening, I realized how utterly screwed up that idea that I had to finish my work no matter the cost, and I am determined to get out of the path of that fucking tornado as soon as possible.
Great story FG!  Thanks for sharing!

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2014, 09:16:07 AM »
My wife and I are going to start a permaculture based homestead/market farm/community center/bed and breakfast and use it as a ministry to allow people to refresh, recuperate, and build relationships with others.

Very close to self sustained with super low income needs. We can easily live off less than 15,000 annually with a paid off home, so we should be very sustainable once we are off the daily grind and have some sort of income coming from the business. I may also start a board game cafe.

As far as stuff goes, I want to buy some more board games and some other ultralight backpacking gear, so I need a couple thousand extra bucks to do that. My wife just wants craft things to make wooden bowels and cards and such. Mostly we want a few things that last and create memories well into the future.

A simple life is so refreshing.

I really support all of the above except making wooden bowels. Not a great ROI IMO.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2014, 12:24:45 PM »
I am doing this because I want to be conscious . I find people just follow the path. They get the bigger house because they can, the fancier cars because they can and everyone else is, they put all inclusive vacations on credit because everyone else is travelling. I want to mindful of where my life goes and how it gets there. I want to take the path that is a best fit for me not because that is what everyone else is doing.

I also despise consumerism, over consumption of goods, and the fact that we are destroying our planet because of it.

And, I have to admit I want to shock the shit out of people when I retire 15/20 years before they do. I want to make people second guess their choices by seeing what I was able to achieve just by not following the norm.

sparklebunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
I am different and weird and would like the freedom to be solitary and independent.

+1

I really dislike the monotony of the day to day sludge.  It seeps into my bones, making them weary before their time.

I grew up with very little and was very poor during my childhood and early twenties (while in law school). Now that I'm getting divorced, I'm on my own and while definitely not poor, I don't want to do back to those days again.

I relish the idea of have freedom and freedom to me means being financially independent.  I honestly don't know that I want to retire early and stop working completely, but I like the idea of being free to change careers and try on something new or just sit back and relax for a while.  And I really want to take a cross country road trip with my daughter when she's old enough (19 months now) and I want the freedom to make that memory and others like it.

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
Cheddar Stacked, it's possible we were separated at birth.  Couldn't have said it better.  Now off to read the link!

Ditto.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2014, 10:30:21 AM »
My wife and I are going to start a permaculture based homestead/market farm/community center/bed and breakfast and use it as a ministry to allow people to refresh, recuperate, and build relationships with others.

Very close to self sustained with super low income needs. We can easily live off less than 15,000 annually with a paid off home, so we should be very sustainable once we are off the daily grind and have some sort of income coming from the business. I may also start a board game cafe.

As far as stuff goes, I want to buy some more board games and some other ultralight backpacking gear, so I need a couple thousand extra bucks to do that. My wife just wants craft things to make wooden bowels and cards and such. Mostly we want a few things that last and create memories well into the future.

I really support all of the above except making wooden bowels. Not a great ROI IMO.

I'd say the fiber would toughen it up, but if one big splinter gets loose in there, that's all she wrote...

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
For me, the top three are easily:

- Time Affluence - Time is our most precious resource. I'm not comfortable with other people controlling how I decide to use the most valuable thing I can possibly possess.

- Being able to pursue self-concordant goals - I want to be able to spend my time working on the things that bring me meaning, regardless of whether they also bring me income. 

- Reducing waste - Improving efficiency appeals to me and also aligns with cutting spending, particularly on "stuff" that doesn't actually improve well-being.

This is very well said, I don't think I could say it much better than that.

I will add, however, that I have problems with authority, and I would very much enjoy not having to do what other people tell me to do.

I have several books, albums, and other goals I want to reach that I will never have time to do while I'm working a full-time job.

fixer-upper

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
I will add, however, that I have problems with authority, and I would very much enjoy not having to do what other people tell me to do.

+1  (I also have problems with alarm clocks)

My retired side gig this summer will be buying a trashed house for a slow flip.  There's multiple prospects, but the one I'm drooling over should up my net worth by $75k for 4 months of my time.

I see it as the equivalent of $225k/yr, tax-free, with no authority figures or alarm clocks.

When I'm done with that, who knows.  Making a house full of Amish-style furniture could be fun.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2014, 03:21:29 AM »
Because I was looking for a reason to work at a job. Instead of needing a reason to leave my job, I needed a reason to work for someone else. Freelancing paid the bills -just - but wasn't providing enough to save much.

We had freedom, plenty of it (and we still do; it's a matter of perspective). We've done stints of pretirement experimentation and travels. Loads of fun, and stress, because we weren't being financially savvy about it. Lifestyle creep seemed inevitable, looking at our corporate expat friends who were a few years older and had taken more standard career paths than ours.

Once I began reading this site, it was like a return to the values I'd once had and nearly forgotten. $ conversations with DH became much more productive. And now that I made it a priority to commit to work, my compensation has tripled in one year (going from part time to full time). Ready to continue in this vein for another 7 years or so til FI!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2014, 06:11:03 AM »
When I'm done with that, who knows.  Making a house full of Amish-style furniture could be fun.

Furniture is SO hard to do well but incredibly rewarding.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2014, 07:59:43 PM »

I'd say the fiber would toughen it up, but if one big splinter gets loose in there, that's all she wrote...

That was hilarious! I couldn't stop laughing after reading this.

Unfortunately, I am recovering from a sore neck from a slight fall and it is very painful to laugh. So in a way I wish I wouldn't have read this, as it is a mixture of laughter and pain.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:03:30 PM by Daisy »