Author Topic: Who has a Mazda CX-5 ?  (Read 7113 times)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
Who has a Mazda CX-5 ?
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:36:42 AM »
We're looking for an AWD for my wife to drive.  The CX-5 seems to be a nice one for the price & gets good mpg.  We live in the mountains & get a fair amount of snow, and also have a long, steep gravel driveway.  I've found Hertz car has a lot of 2016 cars for sale & they ask about "private seller" prices for them.

So, any pros or cons about the CX-5 or buying from Hertz?  ($17K for an AWD Sport model w/ 44k miles)

I test drove a new one at the Mazda dealer & it seemed great, but it would be great to hear from somebody that has had one for a while. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:58:59 AM by GreenEggs »

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Who has a Mazda CX-5 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 11:12:21 AM »
I would also like to know as we are starting to look at them too

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
Having winter tires on a front wheel drive car does more than having AWD without snow tires.

Make sure you actually need the AWD car.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
Having winter tires on a front wheel drive car does more than having AWD without snow tires.

Make sure you actually need the AWD car.

Without AWD/4WD we have to carry the groceries up our driveway via our ATV.  It was "fun" about 10 years ago...,but we've gotten old & spoiled.  Before the ATV we'd pull a sled.  Beer & dog food get heavy after a 1/4 mile uphill hike!

We put good tires on front & rear.  (Sliding off the mountain or into an icy river will "dirty your diapers"!)

Googs860

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 01:11:27 PM »

We put good tires on front & rear.  (Sliding off the mountain or into an icy river will "dirty your diapers"!)

Code Brown!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »
If you can find the same car as a private, one owner sale, you would come out far ahead of a previous rental. Not only are you looking at a vehicle  that has been driven by hundreds of different renters, that fact is that some significant percentage of those drivers have beat and abused it. Any maintenance history may, or may not be correct, or legitimately documented. There could be significant repairs done to correct crash damage that will NEVER appear on a car fax. Rental companies are famous for having repairs done outside of the normal insurance  process, and will park heavily damaged cars until a shop will take them, during slow business periods, and repair them at greatly discounted rates. The repair is then a business expense, not an insurance claim, and is not reported. These repairs can be significantly inferior to those done by a competent shop, doing full rate, insurance co. reviewed work. A few years back I had a dealer try to sell me a loaner that they had on their lot. They had it posted as having an accident free Carfax. I laughed, since it was nearly new, but had obviously been hit very hard, on the side. They had replaced two doors, but the work done to the rocker panel literally looked like a toddler did it with playdough. At first the salesman tried to bullshit his way through it, but I asked if GM usually sent cars out with rocker panel finishes that look like they were done with a cheese grater, with deep grooves scalloped out of plastic filler?

Until you have a side by side comparison, it can be hard to believe how worn out a car with only 44K miles can feel, if it's been beat on, all of it's life. I dropped our CRV at the dealer for warranty work. It had 40K+ miles, and actually past the warranty, but still covered for an ongoing issue. I got a one year newer CRV for a loaner. The loaner had less than half the miles, but it was flogged. There was body damage to the hood, rear hatch and rear bumper cover, and one seat had a cigarette burn through it. The car also felt a whole lot looser than mine, and had some noticeable rattles. If both of those vehicles were offered on the dealers lot, it would be an interesting transaction. My car was obsessively maintained and never abused. One owner, one driver and a ton of documentation, that I would present to a buyer if I sold it myself. Sadly. all the maintenance docs. will hit the garbage can before the new owner would get a chance to see it, if sold by the dealer. The daily loaner will end up much like any other used rental car will. It will spend some time in the body shop for light repairs and detailing. It will be sold as a "program car" and bring a few grand more than mine would.  Unfortunately, the new owner will end up with an inferior car, with a long history of hard use and abuse, for more money than mine would bring.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:35:53 AM »
I bought a Hertz rental car in June 2015.  It's a 2014 Altima and had 30K miles, paid $13,500, no negotiations.  I've put 50K miles on it and the only problem I've had is a wheel bearing that cost me $400 to replace last month.  Car gets almost 40 mpg highway, which obviously is a lot of my driving.
The good thing about this program is that you can rent the car for 3 days to decide if you like it (at least that was the program last year) and in that time you can bring it to a mechanic and have it looked at.  I figure I saved about $5K buying it this way.

stein79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »
Hello Greeneggs and others,

I bought a new Mazda CX-5 AWD in June of 2012 (2013 model, it had just came out).

Aside from the fact that it was expensive to buy new (pre-MMM forums for me) it has been a great car.

Facts: I'm 6'4, 220 lbs.  I can fit comfortably in the Touring/GT model as it has electronic adjustable seat.  however, on longer trips an extra couple inches would be nice (phrasing).
The original had a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine, i'm not sure if that's still the same but merging at high speeds isn't the best - not a lot of power.

So, negatives aside - I have 97K miles on it (outside salesman) and other than a relatively expensive oil filter (which is in a pain in the ass spot to change yourself) it's been a great car. 
I was even rear ended in it and it's been fine, no issues other than standard maintenance, etc.

I drive a lot of highway but still get stuck in poor traffic around the Balto/DC beltway and i'm a lead foot but still see 27mpg avg. 

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 05:47:13 AM »
Wife has a 2014 CX5 Touring, no AWD. (Purchased before exposure to mmm, and now serves its purpose well having a kid and taking long road trips)

We currently have 61k miles on it, and live in central PA where winters can be brutal to drive in - lots of hills and back roads that don't get plowed. Our secret? Snow tires. I got a set of General Altmax Arctics pre mounted on steel rims dedicated for snow use from Tire Rack (awesome place to buy your tires) for $650 including shipping. Also have a 3 ton hydraulic jack so I can swap all 4 tires in 20 minutes if there's snow. AWD being necessary for snow is a huge misconception. My in-laws have a 4x4 Yukon XL and a Prius that they put snow tires on every winter. You know which one clears unplowed hills in a blizzard? The Prius...

Back to the Mazda now. Great car, very few maintenance issues. Comfortable for long road trips and enough space for 2 weeks of gear for 2 adults and a toddler. If you get one, I highly recommend you get it with the 2.5L engine. We test drive a 2.0L and 2.5L and there's a world of difference in power, especially when loaded down. The infotainment system can be buggy but that's our only real complaint. Huge fun to drive on twisted too. 

(Edit) About the oil filter, I've never had an issue with it. It's located right next to the oil pan and costs maybe 6 or 7 dollars on amazon if you get it on a good day.

Remember, FWD with snow ires is plenty adequate.

http://jalopnik.com/yeah-you-guys-should-definitely-swap-cars-in-the-winte-166715771
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:51:40 AM by chemistk »

lefty

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 06:57:52 AM »
I kept trying out the CX-5 (Grand Touring package) multiple times for months as I wanted to be sure it was what I wanted. I even tried models that were a couple of years old at the dealership.
I think it is a great vehicle, low maintenance and probably run a long time if you don't abuse it.

Unfortunately I could not justify what I would have to pay for the CX-5, the looks (interior) and feel just didn't seem worth it to me. Electronics, Nav (Tom Tom and Navtek), Interior nick-nacks looked like a toy, reminded me of one of those leap frog tablets. This is my opinion and I tried very hard to convince myself that what I thought was not true.

I finally ended up getting a used Mazda 6 with the same package and added on radar. 
In short, I think I was looking for style, comfort, and efficiency for a fair price.

fasteddie911

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 07:56:55 AM »
Bought a New CX-5 FWD a few months ago and love the car.  To be honest though, I'm not a nitpicky buyer, the last car I owned before this one was a 2000 corolla, the fact that new cars come with backup cameras and all this technology is amazing.  Reading reviews on new cars and the criticisms people have about them just amazes me, it seems most reputable brand/model will serve your purpose.  Having said that, I ultimately chose the CX-5 based on style, everything else met my needs just fine and/or I'll adapt to it (I find driving a different car always feels weird at first but I eventually adapt).  I feel that the styling of the car is the most noticeable difference and probably the most defining feature of a vehicle, so I wanted to get that part right, and for me it was the CX-5.

I too was looking at used car options, including hertz, but I did the math and over the expected life of the car I would end up paying nearly the same amount, per year, for a used model as compared to a new model, so I went new.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:06:33 AM by fasteddie911 »

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 06:25:22 PM »
We ended up buying a used one from Hertz.  I visited the Mazda dealer & checked out a new one, but they didn't want to budge on the $26k MSRP. 

The one we got is a Sport model with AWD, has 44K miles and was $17,235 out the door.  It looks and drives great.  Interior is a 10 and exterior is a 9+.   We saved $489 by driving an extra 20 minutes to SC instead of buying in NC.  Also saved $350 more by getting a Hertz Gold membership, which was free to join.  (I don't understand the NC price difference)

I would have considered an older year model, but really wanted the 2.5 liter engine.  If we didn't need the AWD I'd chosen a FWD.  The FWD gets 33 mpg, but the AWD still does quite well at 30 mpg.

The vehicle feels & sounds great.  It's very quiet, very smooth, and handles well.  It's plenty peppy, but not a race car.  The 6 speed automatic shifts very smoothly.  We'll get a set of roof racks since the Sport doesn't come with them (ebay for about $180), and install a trailer hitch.  I'll also install seat warmers, which are very inexpensive on ebay too. 

It's going to be my wife's car and I think it will be perfect for her.   

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »
I think Mazda is generally repped as one of the more reliable car manufacturers, the top 3 being Honda, Toyota, Mazda IMO. I have a Mazda3 sedan and it's a great car. Good enough to be a lifetime Mazda owner.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 05:47:04 AM »
I've test driven and rented the CX-5 recently.  I prefer the 2014 higher end version over the 2016.  There's something about a push-button parking break that bothers me over having a lever.

The rental car idea is okay, but compare that to Carmax, know your base, then see if you can do better through a private sale.  Time is on your side.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 08:02:35 AM »
I think Mazda is generally repped as one of the more reliable car manufacturers, the top 3 being Honda, Toyota, Mazda IMO. I have a Mazda3 sedan and it's a great car. Good enough to be a lifetime Mazda owner.

Same here. 6 years in with our Mazda3 and not a single issue so far.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 08:41:20 AM »
I've test driven and rented the CX-5 recently.  I prefer the 2014 higher end version over the 2016.  There's something about a push-button parking break that bothers me over having a lever.

The rental car idea is okay, but compare that to Carmax, know your base, then see if you can do better through a private sale.  Time is on your side.

I thought the electric parking brake was odd too, but then I considered that a lot of women & weaker drivers don't pull the brake lever hard enough to fully engage and also have a lot of trouble disengaging the brake lever after I've set it.  So, it solves that issue.  I think it would make more sense to just make parking brakes automatic whenever the gear is shifted into park (not sure why mfgs haven't done that yet?)

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
I got a 2014 front-wheel drive touring and the only issue it's had is the lift gate latch, which was replaced under warranty.  It's been a great car so far; I do put snow tires on in winter and it handles very well in CT, and driving up to VT, getting up a steep snowy driveway pretty easily.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 02:29:39 PM »
Just test drove one at the dealership this past weekend, with intent to buy a used one.  Unfortunately, it really didn't meet our needs.  To fit a rear-facing car seat that is home to our 18 month old required the passenger's seat to go so far forward that both me & my wives knees touched the glovebox.  It's unfortunate, because I REALLY liked everything else about it :(.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 02:41:32 PM »

exactly my thoughts and experiences with the Mazda3 hatch - ill likely be a repeat mazda guy when this one explodes (which shouldnt be for a LONG time at 35k miles)

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 03:46:30 PM »
I think it would make more sense to just make parking brakes automatic whenever the gear is shifted into park (not sure why mfgs haven't done that yet?)

They have been doing it for years in the premium sector (Land Rover, Jaguar etc.). My guess would be that it's either still patented, or too expensive at the moment to trickle down to the more budget options.