Author Topic: Where do you stand on "living with Covid", "getting back to normal"  (Read 215342 times)

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where do you stand on "living with Covid", "getting back to normal"
« Reply #700 on: January 24, 2022, 09:36:09 AM »
Can't find a link to the actual study, unfortunately. It's also not clear if it's causation or correlation. It is possible that school districts that implemented mask mandates are populated by people who, in general, take Covid precautions more seriously. After all, local policies reflect local attitudes. But schools with mask mandates in Michigan have significantly lower Covid rates.
I’m sure mask mandates help, but I think it’s likely more that the parents take it seriously and are vaccinated. It seems to spread more from parent to child than child to child. Omicron is changing it a bit.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #701 on: January 24, 2022, 09:50:56 AM »
What are we all doing it for, you ask?  To try not to get sick.  I don't care about anyone else at this point, I'm just trying to protect myself.  Because, in spite of most people "recovering" and not ending up in hospital, there are enough unknowns about the long-term consequences of this virus that if I can prevent getting it, I will.  It's not just a respiratory virus - it causes inflammation in all parts of the body, which can lead to other immediate, delayed or long-term medical issues, like diabetes, heart disease, lung damage, neurological effects, etc.  I have no interest in developing any of those things.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #702 on: January 24, 2022, 10:13:38 AM »
What are we all doing it for, you ask?  To try not to get sick.  I don't care about anyone else at this point, I'm just trying to protect myself.  Because, in spite of most people "recovering" and not ending up in hospital, there are enough unknowns about the long-term consequences of this virus that if I can prevent getting it, I will.  It's not just a respiratory virus - it causes inflammation in all parts of the body, which can lead to other immediate, delayed or long-term medical issues, like diabetes, heart disease, lung damage, neurological effects, etc.  I have no interest in developing any of those things.
Clearly you didn’t read my posts further up about the “rules” we have in place for testing positive and how many people are actually following them.
If you think they can actually protect you from getting it, you’re probably in for a big surprise.

Did you know that in most places healthcare workers may now come to work even after testing positive as long as they mask? God help you if you need to visit the doctor.

If we actually wanted to protect people from getting it, we would go back to mask mandates, restricting indoor gatherings and 14 day isolation periods.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #703 on: January 24, 2022, 12:51:01 PM »
Clearly you didn’t read my posts further up about the “rules” we have in place for testing positive and how many people are actually following them.
If you think they can actually protect you from getting it, you’re probably in for a big surprise.

Did you know that in most places healthcare workers may now come to work even after testing positive as long as they mask? God help you if you need to visit the doctor.

If we actually wanted to protect people from getting it, we would go back to mask mandates, restricting indoor gatherings and 14 day isolation periods.

I did read your post thoroughly and I agree that your rules are illogical and useless.  Where I live, we still have mask mandates, gathering restrictions and 5 day isolation periods.  Of course not everyone follows them, and that's exactly why I do everything I can to protect myself.
When I do have to go out, I double mask, distance, wash etc.  It might not stop me from getting Covid, but at least I've tried my best - I'm not ready to just throw up my hands and say "the hell with it."

I did have to go to the doctor a few days ago and one woman came up to the registration counter wearing a mask under her nose.  I was called in before I could hear if the receptionist said anything to her. 

Also, do you believe that there will be more variants?  Possibly more deadly ones?  What then?  If people are giving up now, they may very well be the ones in for a big surprise down the road.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #704 on: January 24, 2022, 01:53:04 PM »

I'd love not to get it as well. So far we're prioritizing our kids' education over strict COVID avoidance though. Our kindergartener has had a couple of close contacts at school this month. No positive results in our family so far. The school does do mask wearing, social distancing, and contact tracing. These things likely have helped! Time will tell whether these measures actually prevent any kids (and the rest of their families) from ever getting it or if it's more of a "flatten the curve" delaying the inevitable sort of thing. Given how contagious omicron is I strongly suspect the latter. We've dodged a few bullets but the guns keep shooting. They've been averaging 1-2 confirmed positive cases every day at the school recently.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #705 on: January 24, 2022, 02:45:50 PM »
I know it sounds weird, but I'm kind of glad we all got it. I've felt like we've been walking on eggshells for the past 2 years, wondering if it'll be brutal if we get it, wondering if we are inadvertently spreading it to other people, wondering if someone will spread it to us, etc. Now that we all have it and it's mild I won't have to wonder about if we are spreading it, if we will catch it, etc. At least until the next variant comes out :)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #706 on: January 24, 2022, 03:06:05 PM »
COVID sucks, don't get me wrong.   I don't want people to die from it and I don't want people to suffer from long COVID.   It's also here to stay.

The question I think about is when do we start to accept the new normal?   Are we going to go through shutdowns for 1-3 months every winter going forward?

Right now, we have a prophylaxis (i.e. the vaccines), we have a treatment (the MAB from Pfizer and I think another one) and we have a relatively mild, if very contagious strain of the disease.   I find it hard to see when we'd have a better time to try and accept that we're into a new normal...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #707 on: January 24, 2022, 03:33:58 PM »

Right now, we have a prophylaxis (i.e. the vaccines), we have a treatment (the MAB from Pfizer and I think another one) and we have a relatively mild, if very contagious strain of the disease.   I find it hard to see when we'd have a better time to try and accept that we're into a new normal...

For me it makes the most sense to tie it to local case counts. In my community, we are at the highest level of hospitalizations that we have even been for the entire pandemic, which is roughly an order of magnitude higher than what we experience during most peak flu seasons.

Given that most experts I’ve been hearing from are predicting a substantial decline in cases over the next several weeks it seems that would be more logical point than right now. 
I realize that’s not a popular opinion for many.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #708 on: January 24, 2022, 03:35:09 PM »
I know it sounds weird, but I'm kind of glad we all got it. I've felt like we've been walking on eggshells for the past 2 years, wondering if it'll be brutal if we get it, wondering if we are inadvertently spreading it to other people, wondering if someone will spread it to us, etc. Now that we all have it and it's mild I won't have to wonder about if we are spreading it, if we will catch it, etc. At least until the next variant comes out :)

I've been hoping someone in our family will test positive the last few times we've all had a cold. My wife and I are vaccinated, and she recently spent a day taking care of her sister who had COVID and never had any symptoms. We've been thinking about having our kids tested for antibodies as there's a decent chance they've already had it and therefore we don't need to worry as they've got natural immunity.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #709 on: January 24, 2022, 03:36:59 PM »

Same.  Not even worried or thinking about the next.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #710 on: January 24, 2022, 03:52:07 PM »
This is me

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #711 on: January 24, 2022, 04:09:41 PM »
Covid death side effect which occurred to me today -- unnatural sudden increase in inherited RMD withdrawals.  Granted, not every American who has died necessarily had an IRA/401k/403b, and many left spouses who may not yet be subject to RMD.

However, there's still going to be quite an uptick in money coming out of the market.  Even if the inheritors intend to reinvest, Uncle Sam will be doing a haircut first on anything not Roth.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
My niece and her boyfriend have covid.  He's unvaxxed and pretty sick, she's vaxxed and asymptomatic.  She only tested because she was exposed to him.  No one else in the household tested positive.  They are having a birthday party with the whole family (9 people minimum) despite her being positive.  We were invited but obviously declined.  Also the entire family has been going about their daily lives and going to stores and whatnot even as they were awaiting test results.
That is insane. I must be naive but I honestly didn’t know people did this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been dealing with crushing fatigue, headaches, and a scratchy throat all week, and my husband is currently in bed with head cold symptoms and a fever. I'm pretty sure it's because when I went to the warehouse club last Friday, the idiot who came in just after me sounded like he was about to cough up a lung.

Paging @OtherJen because we got Covid around the same time, how are you and your husband doing now?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #713 on: January 24, 2022, 05:13:22 PM »
This is me

lol . . . our whole family too.  It does kinda feel like that pic sometimes.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #714 on: January 24, 2022, 05:33:40 PM »
This is me

And me.  En garde!!!

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #715 on: January 24, 2022, 06:09:26 PM »
This is me

And me.  En garde!!!

Hahahaha!!!! Us too.  Meanwhile, we know several people who have had it multiple times now.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
My niece and her boyfriend have covid.  He's unvaxxed and pretty sick, she's vaxxed and asymptomatic.  She only tested because she was exposed to him.  No one else in the household tested positive.  They are having a birthday party with the whole family (9 people minimum) despite her being positive.  We were invited but obviously declined.  Also the entire family has been going about their daily lives and going to stores and whatnot even as they were awaiting test results.
That is insane. I must be naive but I honestly didn’t know people did this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been dealing with crushing fatigue, headaches, and a scratchy throat all week, and my husband is currently in bed with head cold symptoms and a fever. I'm pretty sure it's because when I went to the warehouse club last Friday, the idiot who came in just after me sounded like he was about to cough up a lung.

Paging @OtherJen because we got Covid around the same time, how are you and your husband doing now?

Thanks for checking in. Yesterday was the first day in several that I wasn’t debilitated by fatigue. Today, I felt mostly normal. Husband spent much of the weekend sleeping and coughing and is still symptomatic. He has the option to work remotely and today put in his first workday since last Wednesday—all computer and phone tasks. It wiped him out enough that he needed a 90-min nap after work. We were worried yesterday that it was settling in his lungs, but the cough was better today.

I hope you and yours are all on the other side of it by now, and that none of you (or us) ends up with long COVID complications.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #717 on: January 24, 2022, 06:32:29 PM »
This is me

And me.  En garde!!!

We have also avoided it.  I've been sick 3 times since covid hit, one short lived stomach bug, and 2 typical colds (both within last 4 months), but no flu or covid.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #718 on: January 24, 2022, 06:39:56 PM »
What I find interesting is this narrative of: "we'll all get it eventually / it's unavoidable".

Consider this;  right now there's been about 70MM official cases in the US, and I've seen estimates including unreported numbers the true number is around 100MM.  That's extraordinary, but it also means that 2/3rds of Americans have NOT gotten the virus. Many other countries have faired far better. Bottom line is that most people have not contracted Covid. 

While it is indeed possible to do everything right and still catch the virus, I'm not convinced it's inevitable, even if we have to endure a fifth, sixth, seventh wave and several more variants.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #719 on: January 24, 2022, 06:51:11 PM »
This is me

And me.  En garde!!!

We have also avoided it.  I've been sick 3 times since covid hit, one short lived stomach bug, and 2 typical colds (both within last 4 months), but no flu or covid.

Can just about guarantee one of the two typical colds in the last 4 months was covid.  Its extremely easy to not get a test at the right time to show up.  Covid for a vaccinated person is extremely similar to a cold.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #720 on: January 24, 2022, 07:16:02 PM »
This is me

And me.  En garde!!!

Can just about guarantee one of the two typical colds in the last 4 months was covid.  Its extremely easy to not get a test at the right time to show up.  Covid for a vaccinated person is extremely similar to a cold.

We’re vaccinated and boosted, and I’ve had plenty of colds. I’ve never been this fatigued for a full week with a cold. I can’t remember the last time my husband was sick for this long with a cold (or with anything). I’m afraid that he might have ended up needing medical care if I hadn’t insisted that we get our boosters.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #721 on: January 24, 2022, 07:21:12 PM »
What I find interesting is this narrative of: "we'll all get it eventually / it's unavoidable".

[snip]

While it is indeed possible to do everything right and still catch the virus, I'm not convinced it's inevitable, even if we have to endure a fifth, sixth, seventh wave and several more variants.

Agree.  Puts me in mind of "think you can, think you can't, either way you're right".  If you give up and stop taking precautions, um, yeah, you are more likely to get it...

COVID sucks, don't get me wrong.   I don't want people to die from it and I don't want people to suffer from long COVID.   It's also here to stay.

The question I think about is when do we start to accept the new normal?   Are we going to go through shutdowns for 1-3 months every winter going forward?

Right now, we have a prophylaxis (i.e. the vaccines for 5+, because under 5 don't count as real people just yet), we have a treatment (the MAB from Pfizer and I think another one though not enough of it for people) and we have a relatively mild, if very contagious strain of the disease.   I find it hard to see when we'd have a better time to try and accept that we're into a new normal...

FIFY

I've been hoping someone in our family will test positive the last few times we've all had a cold. My wife and I are vaccinated, and she recently spent a day taking care of her sister who had COVID and never had any symptoms. We've been thinking about having our kids tested for antibodies as there's a decent chance they've already had it and therefore we don't need to worry as they've got natural immunity.

Don't get too excited as you can get it again :(

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #722 on: January 24, 2022, 07:23:13 PM »
This is me

And me.  En garde!!!

If the variant can't be detected it could have been covid.  Everyone in my son's class got a cold in October and a bunch of the parents and teachers also got sick, but it was negative covid tests all around.  Second cold was a few weeks ago and tested negative and had no known exposure to anyone testing positive. 

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #723 on: January 24, 2022, 07:27:38 PM »

Right now, we have a prophylaxis (i.e. the vaccines for 5+, because under 5 don't count as real people just yet), we have a treatment (the MAB from Pfizer and I think another one though not enough of it for people) and we have a relatively mild, if very contagious strain of the disease.   I find it hard to see when we'd have a better time to try and accept that we're into a new normal...

FIFY

Sure you've got a point.   When do you think society should start moving on then?   Once kids under 5 are vaccinated and manufacturing capacity for the treatment has picked up?

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #724 on: January 24, 2022, 07:34:08 PM »

Consider this;  right now there's been about 70MM official cases in the US, and I've seen estimates including unreported numbers the true number is around 100MM.  That's extraordinary, but it also means that 2/3rds of Americans have NOT gotten the virus. Many other countries have faired far better. Bottom line is that most people have not contracted Covid. 

Your estimates are likely off by quite a bit. We've struggled to catch the majority of infections in the "cases" data. The CDC was estimating over 146 million infections as of Sept 2021 (pre- Omicron). Add 4 months of Omicron spread to those estimates, and we're probably nipping 200 million infections these days:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

It seems like the CDC quit forecasting "cases" during the Omicron wave after the actual data exceeded their models, deeming them to be unreliable. So even the CDC may have been estimating too low:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/forecasting/forecasts-cases.html

Their last published forecast was estimating around 1 million new cases per day by December, and it seems like their data collected makes that seem unrealistically low:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/forecasting/forecasting-us-cases-previous.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:47:59 PM by Paper Chaser »

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #725 on: January 24, 2022, 07:35:38 PM »
This is me

And me.  En garde!!!

If the variant can't be detected it could have been covid.  Everyone in my son's class got a cold in October and a bunch of the parents and teachers also got sick, but it was negative covid tests all around.  Second cold was a few weeks ago and tested negative and had no known exposure to anyone testing positive.

False negatives are very common, we have 2 of the 5 as either bad timing of the tests or straight up false negatives in my family.  It does not have to be an unknown variant.  I guess it doesn't matter though if you're over it and all's good.  It just would seem extremely unlikely have caught two colds during the epic runup of an extremely contagious virus that plays out like a cold to a young vaccinated person .

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #726 on: January 24, 2022, 07:46:06 PM »

[snip]

Agree.  Puts me in mind of "think you can, think you can't, either way you're right".  If you give up and stop taking precautions, um, yeah, you are more likely to get it...

FIFY

Don't get too excited as you can get it again :(

There's evidence of people testing positive twice for Omicron?

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #727 on: January 24, 2022, 08:01:05 PM »

FIFY

Sure you've got a point.   When do you think society should start moving on then?   Once kids under 5 are vaccinated and manufacturing capacity for the treatment has picked up?

- Vaccine for all
- Sufficient quantities of treatment
- Hospitals are not maxed out
- Cases are not spiking (related to above obviously, but means a flexible approach)
- COVID tests are more affordable (I think 2 for $20 which is the best I've seen of late is still too high for the average person.  Making available through insurance is good, but it would also be good to have much cheaper tests.)
I would also add 90-95% of the country is vaccinated, but that's never going to happen in the US because people are [mod edit]

But...people will still make individual choices.  I'm not likely to go to big events (e.g. sporting events, concerts) anytime soon myself.  But I do hope to fly away on vacation and have dinner at people's houses again some time later this year.

I reserve the right to add to my list as I think of things.  :)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #728 on: January 24, 2022, 08:12:12 PM »

FIFY

- Vaccine for all

So your opinion is that we should have vaccines for every last breathing person on the... planet? Or just the country? Also, do you really expect 50.1% of the population to agree to that given that would absolutely be a "new normal" for how to deal with pandemics? Also, better get on the phone with Fauci and Biden. Fauci is definitely signaling that we will go back to normal-ish when the virus is endemic not pandemic and that the trigger will not be vaccines for all.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:20:53 PM by PDXTabs »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #729 on: January 25, 2022, 03:28:35 AM »
There's evidence of people testing positive twice for Omicron?
It's possible according to the science to get Omicron twice but it's too soon to have individual cases as the variant was only identified a couple of months ago.
https://inews.co.uk/news/health/can-you-get-infected-omicron-more-than-once-reinfection-covid-variant-1369789?ico=in-line_link

It is clear that infection with previous variants provides only limited protection against Omicron
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-49-Omicron/

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #730 on: January 25, 2022, 05:29:50 AM »

FIFY

Society where I live has already moved on. I'm in the minority in wearing masks in indoor public places. Restaurants are packed. So are hospitals, to the point that a fifth hospital in the state (second in my county) now has an emergency federal military medical team to help with overflow.

Ideally, society would "move on" when we weren't in danger of completely burning out all of our medical professionals who've been going for 2 years without breaks and with increasingly less staff. But we've decided to move on anyway.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #731 on: January 25, 2022, 06:15:14 AM »
What puzzles me is that moving on is seen as imperative, but getting the excess death rate down to the level of Canada or Germany is not.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #732 on: January 25, 2022, 06:46:28 AM »

FIFY

Part of the issue with the 5 and under vaccine is that the risk for COVID for children 5 and under is SO LOW that the risks of the vaccine come in equal or greater. Obviously they are working to find the sweet spot between and effective vaccine (creates a immune response) and one that does not produce side effects that outweigh the benefits.

I have kids so I understand why you worry, but we have two years of data now and ALL of it says that the risk to children 5 and under is low, very low. There are many other bigger risks.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #733 on: January 25, 2022, 06:48:01 AM »
What puzzles me is that moving on is seen as imperative, but getting the excess death rate down to the level of Canada or Germany is not.

Twenty years on, we're still fine with post-9-11 air travel safety and surveillance protocols because ~3,000 people died due to that attack. We're back to losing that many Americans to COVID every 2–3 days.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #734 on: January 25, 2022, 07:13:36 AM »
Are we okay with current air travel safety protocols? Seeing as the TSA isn't very effective, it seems to be mostly theater, while simultaneously costing billions of dollars and wasting a lot of travelers' time.

It is mostly security theater. I'm not aware of any effort to get rid of it, even as minuscule as a hashtag. So I guess we are ok with it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #735 on: January 25, 2022, 07:16:07 AM »

Twenty years on, we're still fine with post-9-11 air travel safety and surveillance protocols because ~3,000 people died due to that attack. We're back to losing that many Americans to COVID every 2–3 days.

Are we okay with current air travel safety protocols? Seeing as the TSA isn't very effective, it seems to be mostly theater, while simultaneously costing billions of dollars and wasting a lot of travelers' time.

Much of it is theater. I think the height of absurdity was having to remove my thin-soled sandals for separate inspection while I walked through the detector. Still, it doesn’t seem like there are huge numbers of people camping out in front of airports with guns in protest, throwing tantrums at security, or refusing to fly because they can’t bring weapons or water bottles in carry-on bags.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #736 on: January 25, 2022, 07:18:53 AM »

FIFY

- Vaccine for all

So your opinion is that we should have vaccines for every last breathing person on the... planet? Or just the country? Also, do you really expect 50.1% of the population to agree to that given that would absolutely be a "new normal" for how to deal with pandemics? Also, better get on the phone with Fauci and Biden. Fauci is definitely signaling that we will go back to normal-ish when the virus is endemic not pandemic and that the trigger will not be vaccines for all.

Hi!  When I am uncertain about what someone meant, I look for clues in the surrounding text.

Clue 1: The conversation started because the first poster noted there were vaccines, and I clarified it's actually only vaccines for 5+. 

One might reasonably and correctly infer from this clue that I am quite annoyed that many people talk about the vaccines being available for everyone when, in fact that they are not.  They might be able to correctly interpret my statement as "vaccines available for all" but if not, they can look for more clues...:

Clue 2: Later down in my post, I write: "I would also add 90-95% of the country is vaccinated, but that's never going to happen in the US because people are [mod edit]"

This would seem to further support the idea that above I was not talking about 100% of all people in the country (much less world) vaccinated, if here I suggest that idea, but immediately recognize it will never happen.  (Now, note, just because it may never happen doesn't mean that it couldn't be on someone's personal list for "ideal time to go back to normal".)  My normal go-list doesn't need to be the same as anyone else's, including yours or Fauci's.  I provided mine because scottish asked.  When mine is met, I will "return to normal" and eat inside restaurants, travel on planes, have friends over our house etc. again.  You may do all of those activities whenever you like.  I will not come to your house to stop you, even if I have opinions about whether this is contributing to spread beyond what our hospitals can handle.

Thus no, I do not *expect* that everyone will get vaccinated, but I sure do think it would help the country get back on its feet if everyone in the country who has access to a free-to-them vaccine took it.  I also have strong feelings about those that refuse to get vaccinated on the one hand, but on the other hand demand that we return to "old normal".

Finally, we've never* had a world wide pandemic of this extent before, so, um, yeah, it's completely legit from my perspective to have a "new normal" response to dealing with it.

*It remains to be seen if the Spanish Flu is at all comparable.  Considering our increased medical knowledge, technology (treatments to vaccines), we ought to have had a substantial leg up over the Spanish Flu pandemic, but as time goes on it and we head into the 3rd year, it seems more deadly/more long-term consequences.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #737 on: January 25, 2022, 07:47:08 AM »

It is mostly security theater. I'm not aware of any effort to get rid of it, even as minuscule as a hashtag. So I guess we are ok with it.

Isn't this like trying to prove a negative? Have current measures prevented more hijacked planes? We haven't had any major lethal incidents over US airspace since.  If so, how many and how often?  I don't know how to even answer that question.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #738 on: January 25, 2022, 08:44:25 AM »
How have we not “moved on”, though?

You can go out to dinner, fly somewhere on vacation, send your kids to school, have a party, go to the gym - if those things feel safe and important to *you*.

A relatively few places require masks when cases are high.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #739 on: January 25, 2022, 09:00:22 AM »

*It remains to be seen if the Spanish Flu is at all comparable.  Considering our increased medical knowledge, technology (treatments to vaccines), we ought to have had a substantial leg up over the Spanish Flu pandemic, but as time goes on it and we head into the 3rd year, it seems more deadly/more long-term consequences.

Which should actually be called the Kansas Flu, since that's where it originated.

Similar to current times, it mutated as it traveled around the world.  Some strains continued to be more deadly than others, especially in the first few years afterwards when the virus reached new hosts with no previous similar exposure.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #740 on: January 25, 2022, 09:35:51 AM »

You can go out to dinner, fly somewhere on vacation, send your kids to school, have a party, go to the gym - if those things feel safe and important to *you*.

Well, from my view my kid had the sniffles last week and so I was told I needed to give him a COVID test and he then spent 5 days out of school because of a virus that caused slight sniffles that resolved themselves in less than 24 hours. I'm RE so this wasn't much skin off my back, although he finds it stressful to miss school, but had I been working I would have had to figure out WTF I was going to do with him for a week in quarantine while I worked.
I don't call any of that normal.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: January 25, 2022, 09:49:28 AM »
For me it makes the most sense to tie it to local case counts. In my community, we are at the highest level of hospitalizations that we have even been for the entire pandemic, which is roughly an order of magnitude higher than what we experience during most peak flu seasons.

This is also my approach. I am back to normal, but my new normal includes curtailing social contact, not attending large events, and wearing a mask indoors when local case counts are high, which they are. When my state's case count gets back below 100 case a day (it was 24,000 yesterday), I'll be open to doing most activities.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #742 on: January 25, 2022, 10:08:43 AM »

Well, from my view my kid had the sniffles last week and so I was told I needed to give him a COVID test and he then spent 5 days out of school because of a virus that caused slight sniffles that resolved themselves in less than 24 hours. I'm RE so this wasn't much skin off my back, although he finds it stressful to miss school, but had I been working I would have had to figure out WTF I was going to do with him for a week in quarantine while I worked.
I don't call any of that normal.

Yeah, we did the right thing and reported my wife testing positive to our 4 year old's daycare. Now i know why people don't do the right thing. We were going to hold him and his older sister out of school and watch for symptoms for the entire time my wife had to stay out of work and then send them back. That's how it works with my daughter's kindergarten. Out for 5 days and then mask for 5 more. Not so for daycare. He has to quarantine for 10 days, but the kicker is his quarantine doesn't start until my wife's quarantine is over. So he has to remain out of daycare for over 2 weeks because he's a close contact.

I don't want to downplay the seriousness of Omicron for some people, but it's literally been a mild cold for all of us. My wife said allergy season is worse for her and I just ran my fastest 2 miles of the year with it today, went on a 10 mile bike ride yesterday, etc. My daughter and son spent all day outside running around yesterday, jumping on the trampoline, etc.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #743 on: January 25, 2022, 10:14:47 AM »

Our local TSA found a loaded gun in a carryon, so there's at least anecdata that I like.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #744 on: January 25, 2022, 10:16:44 AM »
My husband is now on day 7 of symptoms. He was in bed last night by 9:30 after napping from 5:30-7 pm. He's working remotely again and will probably need a nap to get through the day. We're hoping he doesn't end up with long COVID complications. He's 46 and otherwise in good health.

The 585

« Reply #745 on: January 25, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »
In Italy the law requires wearing a mask outdoors. But then you can go inside a busy restaurant or bar and sit down unmasked INDOORS surrounded by many others... does this make any sense?

Enough of these silly rules and laws that are just for theater. It's refreshing to see UK and Ireland eliminating all covid restrictions and I hope they set the precedent for the rest of Europe and North America where vaccine and treatments have been long widely accessible.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #746 on: January 25, 2022, 11:00:20 AM »
In Italy the law requires wearing a mask outdoors. But then you can go inside a busy restaurant or bar and sit down unmasked INDOORS surrounded by many others... does this make any sense?

Enough of these silly rules and laws that are just for theater. It's refreshing to see UK and Ireland eliminating all covid restrictions and I hope they set the precedent for the rest of Europe and North America where vaccine and treatments have been long widely accessible.

Outdoor mask wearing is pretty silly.  But then again, so is indoor dining right now IMO. 

That said, eating is one of the few things you CAN'T do with a mask on.  For everything else that you can do with a mask on, it makes sense to require it where hospital loads are high, because risk is cumulative.

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #747 on: January 25, 2022, 11:38:19 AM »

Outdoor mask wearing is pretty silly.  But then again, so is indoor dining right now IMO. 

That said, eating is one of the few things you CAN'T do with a mask on.  For everything else that you can do with a mask on, it makes sense to require it where hospital loads are high, because risk is cumulative.
The prioritization of indoor dining has been bonkers to me for this entire pandemic. There’s no rational world where schools are closed and indoor dining is open. The respective importance and risk levels of those two things are worlds apart… and yet we do not live in a rational world. The idea that so many places also kept theaters (both movie and live performance) closed for so much longer than restaurants is especially frustrating for me, both as a performer and movie enthusiast. It’s easy to just require masks on in the theater the whole time.

Outdoor mask requirements have also irked me for quite a while. At the start of the pandemic I left New York City and spent a few months at my parents’. When I returned to New York in August, their case counts were incredibly low, the city was absolutely booming back with packed outdoor dining, and cases still remained incredibly low… until temperatures dropped and indoor dining was re-opened. Then of course as the next spike hit the city they closed schools before indoor dining.

——
And to chime in with my general sentiment towards the topic of the thread: I think “back to normal” is pretty much warranted when we’re in the lulls in between variants. Before Delta and before Omicron there were long periods where most people were behaving with a much higher risk tolerance, and case counts remained low, demonstrating those behaviors weren’t causing big problems. At this point, new waves are caused by variants as opposed to behavior/policy change, and vaccines that prevent serious illness are widely available. As long as community spread is low and hospitals aren’t overwhelmed, we can chill a bit. The problem is that many people don’t want to deal with complicated and changing conditions, and so they let their guard down back when vaccines became available and they’re not going to put it back up come hell or high water. I personally wouldn’t join the people who have remained in personal lock-down this whole time either, but at least they’re not causing problems for everyone else.

The Omicron wave will pass soon and then I’ll be back to the level of normalcy I enjoyed in May-June and October-November of 2021. Until this wave passes though, I’ll be more averse to indoor and un-masked interactions with people outside my household.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #748 on: January 25, 2022, 11:40:09 AM »

The private sector might have. There is still a lot of problems accessing government services where I live. This seems to vary city to city, county to county, and country to country. 

LongtimeLurker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Craptastic E-Commerce Site
« Reply #749 on: January 25, 2022, 11:42:58 AM »
There’s no rational world where schools are closed and indoor dining is open.

Follow the money, right? Business want to be open to make money. Schools cost money when they are open compared to being closed. It is actually quite rational, if shittily prioritized.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!