Author Topic: When will MMM blog comments be restored?  (Read 4204 times)

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
When will MMM blog comments be restored?
« on: May 14, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »
I had not noticed before today, but right now you can't post comments on MMM blog posts!

MMM Pete has twittered that due to technical issues, blog comments had been disabled on May 12th (I think).  And that no one was saying anything about it!

I would very much like to see blog comment capability restored to the MMM blog.

What about you?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: When will MMM blog comments be restored?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »
Maybe it's from the influx of angry people who saw the segment on TV the other day?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
Maybe it's from the influx of angry people who saw the segment on TV the other day?

I don't think MMM's ever backed down for something like that--if they say it's technical problems, I'd bet that's exactly what it is.

Blog comments are too "shouting into a void" for me--they don't enable back and forth discussion the way a forum does.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »

I don't think MMM's ever backed down for something like that--if they say it's technical problems, I'd bet that's exactly what it is.

Blog comments are too "shouting into a void" for me--they don't enable back and forth discussion the way a forum does.
Oh, I wasn't suggesting that he was shying away from visitors, just that too many people might be visiting the site at once. Not that I am basing this speculation on any real knowledge of their commenting system, knowing things takes all the fun away from conspiracy theories.

I haven't read the comments on the blog in years, in fact all my reading happens from within my RSS reader.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »

+1  The forums are so active it never occurs to me participate in the comments section.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:01:17 PM »

+1  The forums are so active it never occurs to me participate in the comments section.

Well, I do... both.  I find that, for some reason, there are substantively 2 overlapping but separate communities/audiences for forum and blog conversations.

So I VERY much hope that the blog comment technical issues are resolved by the time MMM puts up his next blog post.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 02:08:05 PM »
What's this about a TV segment? I'm interested.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 06:10:20 AM »

Not to mention that dissenting voices are sometimes "moderated out."  So it's not a true reflection of the reactions to the blog entry, anyway.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »

Not to mention that dissenting voices are sometimes "moderated out."  So it's not a true reflection of the reactions to the blog entry, anyway.

+1. Everything I've ever written over there was deleted pretty quickly.  it's not exactly a democracy in the forums, sometimes, either, but the mods here are usually good about explaining what they've done and I usually agree with it.  Pete has to keep his Blog free from too many derogatory remarks to maintain his credibility and his cash flow, and he has every right and reason to do so.  Losing the blog comments would not significantly change anything there.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!