Author Topic: When a new item costs less than parts?  (Read 3298 times)

Seadog

• Bristles
When a new item costs less than parts?
« on: February 22, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »
Currently in a bit of a quandary - the blades that I use most mornings to make delicious, healthy smoothies broke on me, so now the blender does everything except blend.

The good news is the blade insert that goes in the bottom separates out, and can be purchased online for about $15 (plus tax and shipping, or no shipping if I up the orders to $35). The bad news is I can buy a new (used) blender for less at a yard sale or thrift store.

I'm torn how to proceed. Mustacianism is to me an exercise in waste elimination. I can get another blender, but then I'm stuck with a 98% working blender which has no value and will likely be thrown out. Or I can spend a few dollars more, help the environment, and end up with a blender that's older and probably less functional than the $10 one at Salvation Army I passed on.

I guess this is a problem electronics has a whole has experienced since the 90s. I've been keeping an eye open for just the jug/blades from a system where the drive broke, but for the specific jar/motor coupling, I need a certain brand.

How do you reconcile this? What do you do?

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: When a new item costs less than parts?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »
Obviously it varies from situation to situation.

In this case, if you're happy with your blender, and there's no sign of other parts wearing out, then I think it's worth the little bit extra to keep it going. At least you know what you're getting, which may not be true for a replacement blender.

The flipside of the "cheaper to replace" trend in electronics and gadgets is that a lot of newer items are of significantly lower quality than older ones, even for the same or similar brand & model. And just like in a used car, you don't know how the previous owner treated that used blender, or whether they're getting rid of it because of a subtle defect.

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
Buy a used blender of the same model, now you have a spare parts unit to keep the main unit working for a very long time.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »
Just buy the part, it's $15. 

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:50:39 PM »
When my blender broke I had the same options, I purchased a new set of blades. It was fun fixing it as well; I get personal satisfaction completing the small tasks.

Sometimes it feels good to fix something, even if its not the optimal choice. I swear things taste better from my blender after I fixed it.

Seadog

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:51:33 AM »
Buy a used blender of the same model, now you have a spare parts unit to keep the main unit working for a very long time.

This is the ideal solution. After checking 5 thrift stores, I couldn't find that specific brand. I do believe that's the best route to go, but can't wait around forever without smoothies! I bought another brand with the hope of swapping out the individual blades, unfortunately the one I'm replacing had the coupling/bearing/blades as a single assembly which is apparently press-fit together.

Just buy the part, it's $15.

Is the part worth $15? A blender is worth $10, so I would argue the part is worth maybe $1. That's the entire premise of mustacianism, not overpaying for something due to convenience, because "that's how it is", since "it's not a lot of money" or any other spurious reason which detaches cost from value. $5 for a coffee is what a fancy coffee costs, it isn't a lot of money, it is quite convenient, but is completely detached from the reality that for 10 cents of product and 5 minutes of time I can make the same coffee.

-

As an update, I just bought a blender which looks like it will work, for $3. It's a cheaper one, but will work in the interim until I can find a spare jug/blades for a reasonable price.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:18:35 AM »
https://www.searspartsdirect.com

Useful for any appliance brand.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 01:24:19 PM »
And now that you drove to 5 different thrift stores just think of what you could have saved in the environment and in money. So now it will cost $5-$10 more AND you contributed to the haze in your city. But, that's the way it usually goes anyway. Every time we try to do good.... it takes away from something else. I think we are in a no win situation.

crxpilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:55:59 AM »
Currently in a bit of a quandary - the blades that I use most mornings to make delicious, healthy smoothies broke on me, so now the blender does everything except blend.

The good news is the blade insert that goes in the bottom separates out, and can be purchased online for about $15 (plus tax and shipping, or no shipping if I up the orders to $35). The bad news is I can buy a new (used) blender for less at a yard sale or thrift store.

I'm torn how to proceed. Mustacianism is to me an exercise in waste elimination. I can get another blender, but then I'm stuck with a 98% working blender which has no value and will likely be thrown out. Or I can spend a few dollars more, help the environment, and end up with a blender that's older and probably less functional than the $10 one at Salvation Army I passed on.

I guess this is a problem electronics has a whole has experienced since the 90s. I've been keeping an eye open for just the jug/blades from a system where the drive broke, but for the specific jar/motor coupling, I need a certain brand.

How do you reconcile this? What do you do?

This........
https://goo.gl/images/AWTmQg

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »
Do what you want but if its me and I can find a new (or used) item that costs less (or even slightly more) than the part to replace the old item then I just get the new (or used) item.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »
I replace things that break and wear out like everyone else, but I usually notice the newer things are of lower quality. Sometimes newer isn't better.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 05:41:10 PM »
You're paying for the speed of replacement, think of it that way.

$15 immediate fix.
$1 potentially waiting around for months for a blender to come up at the Sallie's.

Is it worth it to you now?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 08:35:23 PM »
Call the company and tell them the blade broke off, appears to be a manufacturing defect (if it does.) See if they will send you a replacement for free.

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
This quandary is what has led me to opt to purchase very expensive and high quality stuff at all times.

I manage our basement, which has served as a hospice for everything of questionable quality that we've ever purchased. It will eventually make its way to Goodwill or the garbage/county waste collection day.

Seeing all of those items that aren't worth the time and energy it takes to find, purchase, and dispose of makes me appreciate very high quality goods and makes me stomach the cost of them much easier.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »
This quandary is what has led me to opt to purchase very expensive and high quality stuff at all times.

I manage our basement, which has served as a hospice for everything of questionable quality that we've ever purchased. It will eventually make its way to Goodwill or the garbage/county waste collection day.

Seeing all of those items that aren't worth the time and energy it takes to find, purchase, and dispose of makes me appreciate very high quality goods and makes me stomach the cost of them much easier.

You "manage" your basement. Which appears to be full of broken items. That sounds very stressful. May I suggest ripping of the bandaid and tossing/recycling all the broken items?

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 06:19:54 PM »
LOL Boogie, I too have had to manage the island of misfit toys... I have broken the ties and thrown most away. Clean out anyone's estate and you always ask why the hell did they keep this trash?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!