Poll

What was your net worth at 30 years old?

Negative, I was still in debt!
$0-50k
$50-100k
$100-200k
$200-300k

Author Topic: What was your net worth at 30 years old?  (Read 148459 times)

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
Re: What was your net worth at 30 years old?
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »
It is interesting that the poll results are so evenly spread across the categories.

Are the people with over $300k net worth at 30 not voting?

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2015, 08:51:07 AM »
It annoys me a bit when comparison is based on age, because at 30, my parents had both been working for over 10 years, no student loans since they didn't go to college. However, they never earned a high salary.

I'll be 30 in 3 months and I just go out of university. I am still within my first year of working full-time. And I'm not an exception within my social group. Most of my friends have at least completed a M.A. I have student loans, but my starting salary is already over average. Right now, I justhit the positive, like 2 months ago, lol!

So, I think it's comparing oranges and apples. A fair comparison would be : what did you accomplish the 5, 10 first years you started working. We have to take that ''higher education delay'' into account because a whole generation got one, and because it translates in other aspects too: people now get married older, have kids later, buy homes later, etc.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »
A fair comparison would be : what did you accomplish the 5, 10 first years you started working. We have to take that ''higher education delay'' into account because a whole generation got one, and because it translates in other aspects too: people now get married older, have kids later, buy homes later, etc.
That's a good point too.
My DW was in higher education until after age 30. She was a natural saver already, so it didn't take much to get her primed for investing once she got her current FT pro job. Off to the races from day one!

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2015, 09:19:58 AM »
It annoys me a bit when comparison is based on age, because at 30, my parents had both been working for over 10 years, no student loans since they didn't go to college. However, they never earned a high salary.

I'll be 30 in 3 months and I just go out of university. I am still within my first year of working full-time. And I'm not an exception within my social group. Most of my friends have at least completed a M.A. I have student loans, but my starting salary is already over average. Right now, I justhit the positive, like 2 months ago, lol!

So, I think it's comparing oranges and apples. A fair comparison would be : what did you accomplish the 5, 10 first years you started working. We have to take that ''higher education delay'' into account because a whole generation got one, and because it translates in other aspects too: people now get married older, have kids later, buy homes later, etc.

I agree. Because I didn't start working until 23, I make the necessary adjustment so the numbers line up with where MMM was at during his respective years of work.

But you also need to ask the question relative to a certain age because we all have roughly the same lifespans. It's great if you hit $1mm at age 80, but you're (probably) going to die in 2 years so who cares?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:21:57 AM by Frugal D »

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2015, 09:21:46 AM »

Eh, don't let it annoy you.

The question is what it is.

For instance, doctors may earn alot, but most of them will be at 0 near 30. Which is fine, it just fits the question. If you want to know X years after starting Y. You can ask that question.

I am only 25, but 240ish net worth. I'd imagine that will skyrocket, as I went from 0 3-4 years ago and my income took a huge jump last year...

Molzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2015, 09:22:13 AM »
I'm not 30 yet, but my goal is to hit zero by 30. Combined with my fiancé, we were more than -$90,000 net worth two years ago when we graduated graduate school with our masters. We are now about half way to zero net worth between paying off student loans and retirement savings. We don't make the incomes seen on this forum (combined $82,000), but are throwing ourselves at our high interest student loans (6.55%) while receiving our employer matches on our retirement accounts. Still mastering the budget (I'm more into it than he is, though it helps that he is with me on the getting out of debt thing!), but hope to have a large chunk of our loans paid off prior to having children if possible. I do know that we have friends making double what we make who are saving less (when you consider our debt repayments), so I try not to compare myself too much to the other people on this board, as some things just aren't possible with our current careers/choices, and that's ok.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »

Ha!  Well, I didn't really start my career until I was 32!  With a negative net worth of negative $92k (@ $80K in law school debt, $12k in credit card debt).  Prior to that, I'd done 6 years in the military, pissing away everything I made (except I managed to save $7k that I planned to use for college the year I got out).  Paid for freshman year out of pocket, ran out or money and was working my ass off at two jobs (construction by day, bouncing at night) to try to pay for my soph year.  Wound up getting an offer for a full scholarship that saved my ass.  Debt-free out of college, I was able to take on law school debt (at a top law school) without too much worry. But I went to work for the government with a low-paying salary (about 50% of my Big Firm peers made in first year after graduation).  Didn't really  get my financial shit together until I was almost 40.  Increasing income and better financial decisions have made the last decade a very positive one for me.  Getting married helped a lot, too.  DINKS have financial superpowers if they put their minds to it.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2015, 09:33:38 AM »
New worth at 30 was zero, and it was quite an accomplishment.

10 years of university (got a PhD), two 3-4 month trips to Europe, and a lot of moderately-paid work in warehouses.
But: no debt (owed $3500 in student loans but paid it off sometime that year), and had just landed a great (and at that time moderately-paid) job.
For a complete financial moron it was a decent foundation.

AM43

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
Age 30: $100K
Age 40: $1M

Hey there,

I am in same scenario.
Age 30 little under 100K
Age 40 little over 1M

Its funny how short 10 years can change everything if you put your mind to it.
And BTW I am from Russia too.
We Russians really know how to make a buck. LOL

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2015, 10:25:34 AM »
I turned 31 last month; my husband is a few months older than I am.  I was 27 when I started working my "real job" post graduate school, and he was 28. 

With the recent market upturn, we're above $900k net worth now.  Life is good! 

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »
Not quite 30 but will be there next year.  I voted negative becuase I still have debt and my wife is returning to college in January which will slow down the savings/debt paydown as we will be paying cash for her classes.

Some of you are very impressive! For those of you with over $500k, what were some of the things you did to get there?

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »
NW at age 30 was $1.5M+. This was the height of the dotcom boom and that was the value of my shares in my employer - with a lock in period so we couldn't sell. NW at age 31 was about a tenth of that :-)

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »
I just turned 30 this month and my net worth is around 650k.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
It is interesting that the poll results are so evenly spread across the categories.

Are the people with over $300k net worth at 30 not voting?
I didn't vote, as a correct option wasn't available.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
Reading this thread, and the number of people at the start who said "300k as a top option is too low for me" makes me so happy and inspired.

You guys are badass!

Those of you not there yet, you'll get there. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
I was ZERO at 30. Never had a FT job until I was 31.
I'm 45 now and my NW is ~$500K. Got married 4 yrs ago or i would be ~>$600K.
My job isn't anything special. Still trying to figure out how I got to $500K.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »
at 25 I was -$10,000 at 27 I am projecting right around $95,000 by the end of the year if the market stays flat.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2015, 11:22:36 AM »
I didn't vote either. I just turned 30 this year. Our net worth, with or without real estate, is over 300K.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
I'd edit the poll to add a top end choice, but 212 people have already voted in a single day (Holy crap the forums have gotten large!).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »
$379,000 - didnt vote as 300+ wasnt offered.

This calculator tells you your percentile http://www.shnugi.com/networth-percentile-calculator/

at 30:
<0NW = 17.9%
<50k  = 71.5%
<100k = 84.1%
<200k = 92.1%
<300k = 95.35%
<400k = 97.96%
<500k = 99.38%
<1m   = 99.38% (I think I broke it)
<5m  =  99.67%
<10m = 100%

So there's a big population >0 and <50k.  And all ya'll millionaires at 30 are the 1% :P

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2015, 11:45:56 AM »
I had to do forward prediction of net worth at 30.    If I woulda got on the MMM bandwagon at 18 instead of wasting 65k a year for 4 years.....    Id have a lot more.... lol     

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
For those of you with over $500k, what were some of the things you did to get there?

I finished school with no debt, landed a well-paying job, maxed out retirement accounts from day one, resisted lifestyle inflation, spent the latter half of my 20s in a bull market, and married someone in a similar situation. There was a lot of hard work and a fair amount of luck as well.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »
House hold @28 is at 400k.  Need more options. Expect to be 700+ by 30

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
For those of you with over $500k, what were some of the things you did to get there?

I finished school with no debt, landed a well-paying job, maxed out retirement accounts from day one, resisted lifestyle inflation, spent the latter half of my 20s in a bull market, and married someone in a similar situation. There was a lot of hard work and a fair amount of luck as well.

Same here finished school no debt. Dinks still with 2 engineering salaries. Saved really well prior to finding this site. Took it to a whole new level once we found it.

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »
-$95k, more or less, at age 30

Moostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »
At 30 I was still in my financial idiot phase.  No real debt but pretty much spending what I made.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »
NW at age 30 was $1.5M+. This was the height of the dotcom boom and that was the value of my shares in my employer - with a lock in period so we couldn't sell. NW at age 31 was about a tenth of that :-)

Ouch!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »

Ouch!

You stole my comment!

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2015, 12:51:33 PM »
Limited, erratic employment prior to age 30.  I had a negative net worth until age 32.  Wife however had ~$250K by that time.  Fast forward 8 years and we're flirting with 1.1 mil.  Looking back, it seems too easy.  Stock market helped a lot.

leftcoastenvy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »
I just turned 30, husband is 32. We are right around $220,000 net worth, with another $80k in equity in our house. We have 3 kids under the age of 5 and daycare is expensive. I think our savings rate will skyrocket once they all hit school-age.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »
30, I was negative. Motorcycle loan, car loan (with GF), some old medical bills. Very much paycheck to paycheck.

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2015, 01:41:20 PM »

Ouch!

You stole my comment!

That definitely hurts but if the stocks could not be sold they really should not count as a part of net worth.  This is like having unvested stock options.  They are worth zero until you are allowed to exercise them.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2015, 02:15:07 PM »
I was in the middle of my postdoc at that age... Net worth? About 10k in the bank and no other assets (or debts) of any kind.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2015, 03:32:42 PM »

Ouch!

You stole my comment!

That definitely hurts but if the stocks could not be sold they really should not count as a part of net worth.  This is like having unvested stock options.  They are worth zero until you are allowed to exercise them.

Didn't really hurt - I could see that the company valuation had no basis in reality, so even at the time I never expected to end up with cash in the bank (and 40% would've gone as tax if I'd had to sell in one go). Just lets me say that I'd made my first million before I was 30 and lost most of it within a year. Still did OK out of those shares in the end.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
Not 30 yet (26) and about $190 all in, though much of this is in a retirment account not able to be accessed until age $65. Accessible net worth is $130.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2015, 03:58:01 PM »
Around 180K or so. Real estate appreciation in recent years has really helped out having bought a few houses at the bottom or near bottom of the market.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
Around 180K or so. Real estate appreciation in recent years has really helped out having bought a few houses at the bottom or near bottom of the market.

Same here, Sydney property boom helps a fair bit.

$700k for me, 4 months away from being 30. Mostly tied up in Property - non liquid and not very cash generating - capital rich, cash poor our real estate is.

The mix of assets matters...

mrmiyagi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »
I'm 30 now, my net worth is negative 225K. Medical school was very expensive. Remember me the next time someone tells you doctors get paid too much.

Is it fair to think doctors get paid too much but also that medical school is insanely (inanely) expensive?

I'm 27, NW ~135K.  Likely taking pay cut and moving geographically next year, I'll be ecstatic if I hit 200K by 30.  Very inspiring seeing 85% SRs and >1MM NWs at such young ages.

I agree on tuition being insane but that's the current reality. Medicine is already losing some of its luster as a career path, further pay decreases will enhance that. So more and more of the best and brightest students will choose another path. I'm biased of course but I think medicine is very difficult and the quality of care will drop if/when the "good but not great" students start making it in. Just one guys' opinion.

The European model is closer to what you seem to prefer - lower physician salaries but the schooling is shorter and much cheaper, and they get higher pay as residents. They also work significantly fewer hours than US physicians. I think those would be positive changes overall but it's hard for me to see that all happening here.

Sorry everyone else for the thread jack... please resume discussion of how rich you guys are :)

SuperAntiChicken

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »
I'm 29 and looking at 30 quite soon.  I spent my 20's in and out of employment with some cherished adventures and numerous mistakes.  The good news is I heavily invested into a 401k at age 21 and rolled into an IRA while remaining debt-free and keeping a useful amount of stock alive in a personal brokerage account.  I got back on track with a contract position and then moved cross-country for the 4th time in my 20s to land in a more stable position.  My savings and life goals are aligned now. 

That said, my net worth is about 60k.  I have no real dreams of early retirement I want to aspire to a lifelong career.  I do however cherish the freedom of financial independence and being able to wisely spend my money on things I love.  I think my 20s were difficult.  I had to figure out who I am, what my values are, and where I want to go with them.

I am on my way!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »
At 30, I was just off a divorce.  My 401k disappeared in the split against what little equity I had in the house I kept.  I was net zero.

I'm FIRE now, baby.

30 is nothing.  You still have LOTS of time.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2015, 06:38:04 PM »
Just curious how I'm doing.
Don't fall into the trap of measuring success by how well your achievements compare to those of others. The Stash is just a means to an end, and the end is for YOU to decide.
This thread makes me sad. I'll be the first to cop to a negative net worth, and five figures at that. If by 60 I get to some of the numbers people here had at 30, I'll be ecstatic.
There are kids who got a record deal or a sports contract and were instant millionaires. If I got sad every time I thought about it, I'd be miserable. It's not what you have, it's what you're doing with it and where you're headed that count.

When I say I wasted my first decade of adult life, financially speaking, I mean I really wasted it. Came out of college with an engineering degree, $1K on a credit card, a few thousand on a car loan (payment only ~$150/mo), and a commission in the USAF. Despite those advantages, and not really having expensive tastes, I managed to blow virtually all my disposable income on... hell if I know. Let's just say general curiosity and lack of focus meant I bought lots of random little things in my efforts to find what I really cared about. Getting divorced twice meant that whatever I accumulated was blown away, and the only thing I really acquired for keeps was a little bit of maturity and investing knowledge.

30 was my absolute low point - divorce #2, depression, flat broke, nearly went under and was saved only by a total deus ex machina in the form of a lucrative overseas job that fell in my lap. Soon after that, I realized I didn't want to live that way anymore.

I have to ask, because it looks sooooo familiar.  Is this an rrdtool graph?

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »
30 years old, $140k net worth after 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 6 years (so far) of surgery residency. Only ~3 more years to go until I'm done. 

I think doctors are paid as much as the society they are in have determined it's worth paying them (much like other jobs).

By 40, should have 700k. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2015, 08:36:44 PM »
This is not really a fair question.   Maybe ask it as years in the workforce?

I had been working for 7 years by then, and includes house equity. Within 2 years it was +200k more due to home price increase (luck, not saving). Oh yah, dual income net reported.

Does having two kids before I was 30 make a difference to equity? 

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:51:22 PM by goldielocks »

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2015, 08:43:47 PM »

I had been working for 7 years by then, and includes house equity. Within 2 hrs it was +150k more due to home price increase (luck, not saving). Oh yah, dual income net reported.

NO

ONLY 30

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2015, 08:55:20 PM »

I had been working for 7 years by then, and includes house equity. Within 2 hrs it was +150k more due to home price increase (luck, not saving). Oh yah, dual income net reported.

NO

ONLY 30
Ha ha. I meant that years in the workforce, random home price spikes, and choosing to marry ( thus reporting dual net worth) and having kids impacts your equity at 30.

Did not mean that I should put a price ( plus or minus) on my kids heads... They are expensive enough.

Hummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »
A thread like this can easily turn into a dick-measuring contest.  You can take something different away from it, though. Be inspired by what some have been able to achieve at a young age and set a goal for where you want to be in 5/10/20 years.

This is one reason why I really like to discuss with American people. You are so optimistic and encouraging. Around here people would just be mean and tell why you cannot have such a big net worth.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from? You apparently aren't an american...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2015, 10:06:43 PM »
I'm 25, so hopefully by 30, it'll be ~3-500k (largely depends how the market moves).

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2015, 10:29:40 PM »
It was about 25K at 30. I had about 50K in student loans and about 75K equity in a house. It was my final year of a Ph.D. program. At 36, this month net worth is now at 340K.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2015, 10:47:46 PM »
Paltry. At 30 I had a net worth of maybe $10k. DW and I had just paid off our student loans early and I'd just started my first "real job" that year, meaning it was a job with a corporation that paid decently and offered reasonable benefits. We were broke-ass-broke but we'd freshly gotten out of debt.We qualified as "badass" just to survive, but knew nothing about savings and investment. You can tell from the following progression, when we finally started to figure things out:

15 years to reach the first $100k of net worth,
5 more years to reach the next $200k,
2 years for $300k,
1 year to add the last $70k

Looking to reach $400k net worth in 2016 and break $500k in 2017. Working hard to manage cash flow to optimize savings, investment and mortgage paydown.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:53:13 PM by Faraday »

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2015, 11:37:12 PM »
I was not near as far ahead as some of you. But due to lots of school 30 was my first real year working.

The year I was 30 I put 30K down on a rental property with my SO.

After seriously cleaning up that property, & with a bit more in retirement savings, I would say my net worth was just over 50K before 31.