Author Topic: What was the lowest point of your life ????  (Read 47440 times)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What was the lowest point of your life ????
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2016, 07:49:54 AM »
This thread is making me feel better about my own problems, which, although serious, are nowhere near as bad as the majority of the posts here.

You guys are amazing!

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2016, 10:36:23 AM »
I was at the Dead Sea.

Were Puerto Ricians playing you salsa in the rain?

I'm not sure what that means...........

While it is certain misery loves company I thought a bit of levity was called for.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2016, 10:58:19 AM »
I was at the Dead Sea.

Were Puerto Ricians playing you salsa in the rain?

I'm not sure what that means...........

While it is certain misery loves company I thought a bit of levity was called for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yTiDlr8Mc

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
I'm still lucky enough to have never lost a core member of my family yet, so my story may seem a little silly to some of you in comparison to what you've had to go through in life.

On the worst day of my life so far I had recently graduated from college with my BA during the start of the great recession. Like most of my peers, I was looking for full-time employment with benefits, while I was simultaneously working during the summer doing logging, roofing, excavation, and rigging to squeak by. I was living with my parents because I couldn't afford my own place.

Excited about the prospect of taking a new girl I had met out on a first date, I made the poor decision to drive to a friend's restaurant in the rain the day before Christmas Eve. While ascending a hill at about 45mph the rain turned to black ice and my truck lost traction after going over a small imperfection in the road sending me head-on into an oak tree with my passenger. We took a ride to the hospital and both of us checked out beat up but otherwise OK, they sent me home with two ten dollar tylenol. Through the next couple days my injuries began hurting more, eventually a large lump the size of my kneecap formed on my leg and I had to use crutches. My entire core hurt. I took a harder hit than my passenger.

The next day on Christmas Eve I met up with my passenger and we went out for another (successful) date, sharing a smoothie. Turns out my passenger also shared some noro virus with me that day.

I spent the next day during Christmas on the floor next to my bed, upstairs at my parents house, vomiting into a bucket with a thoroughly beat up body that felt like I went a few rounds in the boxing ring. There I was, no truck, no job, no dog (we had to put him to sleep just before the accident), in pain all over, vomiting into a trash can, and then it happened.

I hit the lowest point in my life.

Everybody Loves Raymond came on the TV downstairs and I couldn't shut it off. I was vomiting so I couldn't call for help. I was in pain so I couldn't get up. My leg was swollen and I couldn't go down the stairs to leave. I had no choice but to sit through 30 minutes of the worst hour of the worst day of my life so far. I made a to-do list that day - Get a new vehicle, get a new job, get a new place to live, and move on with my life. It took me a good 6 months to sort all of that out. It put me on the trajectory I'm still following today.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:24:13 AM by Digital Dogma »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
By giving you that little extra push, you might have demonstrated the first known instance of Everybody Loves Raymond improving the world in some way.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2016, 12:29:31 PM »
I'm a sober alcoholic / drug addict, so I've got lots of good stories (many involving vandalism, bodily excretions and / or arrest).

I think my lowest was at 21, just graduated, got $4000 in cash for graduation (it was all I wanted, Mustachian even then).  A month later I wrecked a car and got arrested for drunk driving.  Don't remember much, other than sparks as I ground my front wheel down to a half-circle against the curb at about 3 miles an hour.  Fortunately, I didn't hit anyone.  Woke up in jail.  Graduation gift (and then some) went to lawyer / mechanic.

That said, it seems disingenuous to call that my "lowest" point since I kept drinking / drugging for another 8 years or so.  Slow learner, I guess. :)

Recently celebrated 10 years sober.  Life is weird.

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »
Thank you for everyone who has been posting, reading the responses has been inspirational.

At each low point in my life, I thought that was the worst.

2009: sick for half a year, diagnosed with another lung disease
2009-2010: unraveling of my marriage (drugs, alcohol, strippers,etc)
2012: hospitalized for a time with lung complications, spend year trying different drugs to see what works
2013-2014: ex diagnosed with his third and final bout with cancer, passes in June of 2014. Toxic in-law shitstorm. communication is maintained so my sons can have a limited relationship with the nutty side of the family.
2016: my mom is sick, diagnosed with stage four lung cancer, and passes April 9.

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »
Thank you for everyone who has been posting, reading the responses has been inspirational.

At each low point in my life, I thought that was the worst.

2009: sick for half a year, diagnosed with another lung disease
2009-2010: unraveling of my marriage (drugs, alcohol, strippers,etc)
2012: hospitalized for a time with lung complications, spend year trying different drugs to see what works
2013-2014: ex diagnosed with his third and final bout with cancer, passes in June of 2014. Toxic in-law shitstorm. communication is maintained so my sons can have a limited relationship with the nutty side of the family.
2016: my mom is sick, diagnosed with stage four lung cancer, and passes April 9.

I am very sorry for the loss of your mother, especially because that seems like it all happened pretty quickly this year.  I can't imagine trying to keep working and holding life together while going through that and now grieving.

Thank you and everyone else for sharing.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2016, 12:59:54 PM »
2000-Being evicted plus losing a battle with CPS for my two older daughters. I have since been reunited with one of them am still looking for the other one.
2007- The lowest point I think losing my youngest daughter to bowel obstruction but what I now believe was undiagnosed Crohn's
2014-Son being diagnosed with Crohn's after being accused of chasing pain meds, misdiagnosed with lymph node inflammation being told to "get a job and stop being lazy".

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!