Author Topic: What purchases are you delaying?  (Read 23655 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What purchases are you delaying?
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »
I am delaying a purchase of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille perfume. It is one of the best fall/winter scents I have ever smelled, vanilla, tonka beans and tobacco, and lasts forever. Waiting until it goes on sale.

For phones, have you looked at at swappa? It's where I bought my last phone and I have been really happy with it.

You can usually get open bottles or part used bottles of scent in the online auctions. Either someone has bought it and didn't like it, or it was an unwanted gift. Either way, you can get them very cheaply, and if it's a spray on I don't see the problem.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »
Currently on my Amazon wishlist:

A vacuum cleaner. We only have carpet in the bedroom, and the old vacuum died last Christmas. Been making do with the little spot vacuum, but I kind of shudder to think what's in that carpet by now.

Knife sharpener. Nice knives were a wedding gift 5 years ago, but they've never been sharpened.

Fancy trash can for recycling. I had to recycle the plastic bin the recycling used to live in to get rid of a recent gnat invasion. I just can't justify spending money on a container to hold waste!

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »
Car.......we're on the border where the age and miles will result in sinking sale value, but I can't get myself to sell.

8 year old Odyssey about to cross 100k miles.

Dish washer - current one works but is white whereas all other appliances are stainless.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
I had frugal pride over my iphone 5. You people with iphone 4 have put me in my place.

I got my iphone 4 for free last year from a friend. It replaced my flip phone from circa 2004, so really it was a huge upgrade! ;)

I'll go hide my fancy phone and hang my head in shame ;)

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2017, 08:14:23 AM »
Anna: what a good idea! I have been delaying this purchase for a couple of years now.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2017, 03:11:18 AM »

Dish washer - current one works but is white whereas all other appliances are stainless.

You can buy self adhesive stainless look vinyl for a few bucks...... Hobby Lobby or somewhere like that (I'm not a Yank) will have it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2017, 07:24:36 AM »

The sheet on the front can be reversed for a different color by removing a few screws.
 I doubt you will find the back is stainless steel, You won't.
Arrgh, I take that back, some front panels can be reversed. I went looking for sources and when I measured mine, it is not reversable.
But if yours is reversable, you could purchase a sheet of stainless steel to fit. It is quite thin.

Lance Hiruma

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »
iPhone X.
Let's face it, it is not just a phone anymore.

le-weekend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2017, 06:52:01 AM »
New pair of bike shorts; I think my old ones are almost see-through by now. Not good. If I can find them on sale this fall, I may go ahead and get them. If not, I'll wait til spring since I won't be biking much this winter.

New winter coat: I think I can stand my old one for one more year!

New (used) car: I really want to trade in my Impreza for a Prius, but I'm not sure it makes sense just yet. The Impreza still runs, and I'd have to cough up a few k to do the trade. Probably will just keep it for a while longer.

What I am stupidly spending money on: coffee and junk food at work pretty much everyday. Also alcohol (but not at work :). If I would quit spending this stupid money, I'd have enough for at least the bike shorts in a few weeks.
A short-term goal! Buy bulk snacks and drinks to eat at work for the next few weeks, have a beer at home (or only get a drink every other time you have the desire??), save the difference, and get your bike shorts at the end of October!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2017, 07:20:49 AM »
Moto X4 phone so I can get on Google FI eventually.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2017, 07:23:49 AM »
I am delaying a purchase of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille perfume. It is one of the best fall/winter scents I have ever smelled, vanilla, tonka beans and tobacco, and lasts forever. Waiting until it goes on sale.

For phones, have you looked at at swappa? It's where I bought my last phone and I have been really happy with it.

Have you thought about buying a decant? I also love Tobacco Vanille but it is so strong that I only use a tiny amount. I bought a small roller ball from Surrender to Chance a couple of years ago and I still have some. It was about 30 bucks.

I also used STC when everyone was raving about the la labo santal 33 a couple of years ago and I was so glad I only purchased a tiny vial because it did not work on me AT ALL.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2017, 08:02:08 AM »
Starbright: that is a good idea. I should run the numbers on a decant. I am tempted to go for a big size, but at the moment I am working my way through a generous sample. A little does go a long way. There are a few scents that completely resonate with me and TV is one of them. I also like Origins Ginger Essence. Have you tried that? It smells like ginger ale tastes, delightful!

And... in more quotidian purchases I am delaying, I haven't yet made it to goodwill to look for a folding chair and I would kind of like to find a tennis skirt there too.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2017, 02:01:06 PM »
Big one, home central air conditioner. Have gone the last 2 summers without central ac (do have window units in bedroom). I want to replace this spring. 

Totally splurge purchase, but a piece of jewelry for myself since no longer have engagement/anniversary ring. When I have some want like that, it actually helps me in not spending so much on random stuff, because I have the mental calculus, do I want this or want to save for this instead? Ironically for me it works better for a want versus a need in mind...

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »
May need a new wifi router. Our current one is getting old, and lately we keep losing connections when using laptop and phones. Hopefully it will last until around Black Friday.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
THE CAR.  I finally bit the bullet....  after 13 years (during which I increased my NW from $400k to $2.4M) of driving my $9k used Camry, I bought a new $27k car ....that will have to last 39 years to give me the same return....yikes ;-)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:48:40 PM by Strick »

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »
Car.......we're on the border where the age and miles will result in sinking sale value, but I can't get myself to sell.

Lol.
The 'new' car we bought last year was a 9 yr old Sienna with 101k miles.  It felt like a luxurious splurge at the time and still does.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
Spinning wheel. I've wanted one since 2003! But realistically speaking I don't have time to spin these days.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2017, 11:07:59 AM »
Plants for my garden. I gave myself a garden budget for the autumn, I've spent it, and I'm now committed to doing all the tasks that don't require spending before I buy anything else.

Look for local plant swaps through Nextdoor, or for rarer items try Gardenweb! I need to do this too.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »
Plants for my garden. I gave myself a garden budget for the autumn, I've spent it, and I'm now committed to doing all the tasks that don't require spending before I buy anything else.

Look for local plant swaps through Nextdoor, or for rarer items try Gardenweb! I need to do this too.

I like perennials that can be divided for this reason.  0$ plant budget after the first year, and in 5 years you're giving away extra plants pretty regularly.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »

Lol.
The 'new' car we bought last year was a 9 yr old Sienna with 101k miles.  It felt like a luxurious splurge at the time and still does.
Yeah, this one got me too.  My luxurious splurge in May of this year was a 2001 Volvo with 140k miles.  I still feel like it's too good for me.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »
I am going to be traveling a lot over the next 2 years and I go to the dog park a lot and take pictures of the dogs with my phone. I really want this camera, but could never justify it even if I turned dog park photos into a side-hustle with a photog website. So I'm probably going to save for it anyway and then invest the lump sum once I have it saved up.

Panasonic Mirrorless Camera

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2017, 11:38:27 AM »
I am going to be traveling a lot over the next 2 years and I go to the dog park a lot and take pictures of the dogs with my phone. I really want this camera, but could never justify it even if I turned dog park photos into a side-hustle with a photog website. So I'm probably going to save for it anyway and then invest the lump sum once I have it saved up.

FYI, You can get older m43 camera for super cheap, and due to the flange distance you can use cheap adapters to use literally almost any lens ever made (including some old glass that's excellent but very cheap).  I had a GH1 back in the day and I used all kinds of wacky lenses on it (from 70s Canon lenses to hoky CCTV lenses and everything in between).

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »

Consider buying used on ebay?

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »

I have a similar lust/delayed purchase. I want a Canon 6D. I used to have a much older and cheaper crop-sensor Canon that I sold years ago. I could get another cheap one but I know I'd feel limited by it and this is the cheapest full frame.

Problem is that the Canon 6D was nearly $1000 USED last I checked. I definitely don't need it, but I really miss photography.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2017, 02:00:55 PM »

I have a similar lust/delayed purchase. I want a Canon 6D. I used to have a much older and cheaper crop-sensor Canon that I sold years ago. I could get another cheap one but I know I'd feel limited by it and this is the cheapest full frame.

Problem is that the Canon 6D was nearly $1000 USED last I checked. I definitely don't need it, but I really miss photography.
You can get an old 5D Mark I or II for even cheaper these days, and those are full frame and get you pretty far before the body limits you.  My GF's Mark II has 275,xxx clicks on it (she bought it used with 5,300 clicks in 2014); it's a workhorse that got her through 2.5 years of professional photography before relegating it to backup duty.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »

You can get an old 5D Mark I or II for even cheaper these days, and those are full frame and get you pretty far before the body limits you.  My GF's Mark II has 275,xxx clicks on it (she bought it used with 5,300 clicks in 2014); it's a workhorse that got her through 2.5 years of professional photography before relegating it to backup duty.

I definitely considered these options, but the 5Ds are 19% heavier (32 oz versus 26.8). Personally I think the worst camera is one that you don't use because it's too heavy. My crappy crop sensor Canon was only 19 oz and I still complained about carrying it around. Which is why I've also considered a mirrorless too. I probably should just spring for a mirrorless, but I just really loved having an SLR.

Either way, it's not going to happen for a long time partially due to not wanting to spend the money and also because of paralysis from analysis.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »

I definitely considered these options, but the 5Ds are 19% heavier (32 oz versus 26.8). Personally I think the worst camera is one that you don't use because it's too heavy. My crappy crop sensor Canon was only 19 oz and I still complained about carrying it around. Which is why I've also considered a mirrorless too. I probably should just spring for a mirrorless, but I just really loved having an SLR.

Either way, it's not going to happen for a long time partially due to not wanting to spend the money and also because of paralysis from analysis.
That's why I want the one I linked to, mirrorless is the way to go for me I think, but it's such a big purchase I just can't justify it. I'm worried about buying used and something being wrong with it that I'm not savvy enough to diagnose, too. So for now I'll just be drooling over the ad!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »

If you do end up with an SLR or mirrorless don't forget the weight of lenses.  Primes are probably the way to go in that case.  GF's 70-200 weighs over 3lbs by itself (more than double her 135 f/2) and even her 24-70 is over 2lbs.  5oz is peanuts compared to the weight of some of these.  Glass is heavy.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2017, 02:58:55 PM »
I'm putting off buying a harvestright home freeze dryer.  I started off by telling myself I wouldn't ever buy one... but I think I will eventually.  Prices have come down since I started drooling over them, but I'm not ready to drop $2000+ on one.  I haven't decided what the catalyst will be when I finally do purchase one.  Which means I'm still a long ways off from making the purchase.

This is the one purchase I daydream about on a regular basis.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
I find it difficult to find well fitting trousers, except for at one shop. Therefore I always buy them there. Last time I shopped there, I bought three new pairs of trousers.
The shop gave me a card that would give me the sixth pair for free. The girl suggested that I bought another two pairs immediately. I asked when that card expired and was told that it didn't ever. We are now 1,5 years further and I still don't have the need to buy new trouses, so I still wait...

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »
Mattress - mostly because shopping for one is such a PITA

New computer - The genius bar told us ours was on its deathbed about a year ago.  It really is shot - video card confetti on the screen all the time failing hard drive and lots of restarting. But we are unmotivated. and cheap.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
I've put off redoing the kitchen countertops and flooring in half the house. Trying to find a durable option, coordinate everything,  then put off another year because it's hard to let go of that much money. Maybe we'll do counters in the spring and flooring the year after. This year's big home purchase was new hvac system. Ouch.

This is so much me. I have wanted to redo the master bath shower for 3 years. Every time i make up my mind to finally do it, twice so far, i get a quote and it's soooo much money. We can afford it, planned for it but just can't stand to spend that much.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
Noise cancelling headphones. Really want the good ones from Bose, and may try to get them before the next big trip.  Just wish there was a coupon code!

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2017, 07:09:07 PM »
Noise cancelling headphones. Really want the good ones from Bose, and may try to get them before the next big trip.  Just wish there was a coupon code!

I'm also in the market for these. I'm thinking of trying out a pair of drumming headphones since they can be a lot cheaper but I may just wait and see if any of the really good ones end up on sale during Black Friday.

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2017, 07:34:56 PM »
An all-terrain stroller for NewGirl Jr, and an Instant Pot for me. A few weeks ago I was going to charge these because I didn't have the cash... I re-discovered MMM and YNAB just in the knick of time.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2017, 07:38:42 PM »
The wife and I ride motorcycles a lot. Our commute is too long for bicycles, and along country highways with large trucks.  I'm not riding a bicycle to work.  But we ride the motorbike to work almost every day, as a cost saving measure (and a sanity saver).

We have helmet communicators, that allow us to talk and answer phone calls.  They are getting old.  The batteries are failing and the wife's unit has occasionally failing headphones.  We want to replace them with some fancy-pants upmarket ones, which cost around $700 for the pair.  They will last at least 5 years of everyday use (about an hour a day) going on the last pairs performance.  They will also get hours of use on our trips to see the kids.

But - $700.  I wait until we get that far ahead in our splurge fund or haven't spent much on our transport budget for a while.  Christmas is looking good!

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2017, 07:46:23 PM »
Furniture. I ended up sleeping on a mattress on the floor starting a new job, and just delayed buying *anything* else. Eating from the counter top, no side tables, etc. Ended up lasting 3 years with no furniture, then moved elsewhere. No ragrets