Author Topic: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?  (Read 174052 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »
When I get captured by a good book, which I often do, I want to stay up all night to finish it!

+1 !

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2019, 11:06:23 AM »
I want to masturbate during the day.

What's stopping you?

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2019, 11:15:42 AM »

What's stopping you?

Linda in HR apparently.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2019, 11:16:05 AM »
I want to masturbate during the day. I will fight anyone who calls this petty, but it's definitely selfish.
You can do it at work too, lol.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
The SITTING. The constant SITTING. I hate it! I make sure I get up and walk around once an hour at least, even if it's just to go to the ladies' (I drink lots of coffee and water just to have the excuse, honestly), and on days that I can take a lunch break and it's not miserable out I make sure to get in a lunchtime walk, but I'm getting increasingly creaky and stiff.

I've considered requesting a standing desk but I don't think my company would pay for it, and honestly, the problem is being stationary, not just sitting. The ability to move around whenever I want is worth so much to me.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »
The SITTING. The constant SITTING. I hate it! I make sure I get up and walk around once an hour at least, even if it's just to go to the ladies' (I drink lots of coffee and water just to have the excuse, honestly), and on days that I can take a lunch break and it's not miserable out I make sure to get in a lunchtime walk, but I'm getting increasingly creaky and stiff.

I've considered requesting a standing desk but I don't think my company would pay for it, and honestly, the problem is being stationary, not just sitting. The ability to move around whenever I want is worth so much to me.

Having a standing desk makes it much easier to move/wiggle around, even though you aren't walking. I do lots of stretches and other weird stuff.

Source: Am standing desk wiggler.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »

What's stopping you?

Linda in HR apparently.

I needed this laugh very badly. Thank you!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »
When I get captured by a good book, which I often do, I want to stay up all night to finish it!

+1 !

Another +1

When I was younger I would stay up all night and finish the book, then go to work.  I need my sleep in order to function too much now.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »

Look no further than that:
https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=walking+desk&tt=mzl2

Also the books, yeah!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
I want to live in a more quiet world. I experience it today on my free Fridays. Quiet roads, quiet parking lots, quiet shops, readonably quiet ski tracks. So much nicer than the usual crowded world.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2019, 01:18:14 PM »

I spend a crap load of time on conference calls. A new wireless headset means I can wander within about 10m of my desk while listing to inane crap

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2019, 01:35:15 PM »
Ooooo, I would LOVE this! I too have to spent time on many webexes involving inane crap that doesn't even have much to do with me.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
I want to masturbate during the day. I will fight anyone who calls this petty, but it's definitely selfish.

I quit instead, it's easier than trying to get in the mood when surrounded by my coworkers.

I read this after reading the comment about a standing desk above. Perhaps there is a market for a laying down desk? Itf so it may be easier for you to fulfill your desires at work.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »
I want to masturbate during the day. I will fight anyone who calls this point petty, but it's definitely selfish.

I quit instead, it's easier than trying to get in the mood when surrounded by my coworkers.

I read this after reading the comment about a standing desk above. Perhaps there is a market for a laying down desk? Itf so it may be easier for you to fulfill your desires at work.

When SemiBigCorp first did a job in France, the Americans could NOT stop giggling at the Salle de Repose ( resting room) complete with chaise lounges. We never went in, nor did we ask what transpired in there. Eventually, the setups stopped having a Salle de Repose.

That said I have snoozed in a horizontal table, on company time.  Not tempted to do anything untoward, as it was understood to have TV monitors, as it was potentially claustrophobic. Reason? Gamma chest count for plutonium. Place? The iron or copper rooms at the in vivo testing facility.

On topic: I wanted to lounge in the pool all summer, not in a cubicle.

mrs sideways

• Stubble
« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2019, 10:42:39 PM »
I can't wait for the ability to control the thermostat, specifically the AC.  In summers here I'm dressing for 80F for the drive to work and bringing sweaters and layers to survive 65F in the office. It's insane! Not to mention wasteful!

Oh god, that one person who always sets the thermostat in defiance of the weather: super hot in the winter and super cold in the summer. It's probable that WEEKS of my energy savings at home were being offset in an hour at the office... ugh.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: March 23, 2019, 08:04:37 AM »
Socks.  I never want to have to wear socks in the summer again.

Budgie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: March 23, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »
I am reading a lot of not remotely petty reasons for seeking FIRE in this thread. So, I will go ahead and reveal the petty truth:

I am too old for early retirement and don't really want to retire because I like my work. But I am frugal/saving at a FIRE-seeking rate so I can have a warm snugly feeling as the person who was sabotaging my financial life for two decades continues to circle the financial drain. Smug superiority = super petty. So as far as this thread goes, I think I win!

Jantoven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2019, 01:31:30 PM »
This thread made me laugh, in part because I can relate to so many aspects of this.

My job honestly isn't a bad job, but there are certainly annoyances that I cannot wait to escape.

The worst ones for me:

1.  Countless meetings in which nothing is really solved
2.  Sitting in a cubicle next to an incredibly arrogant dude who so desperately wants constant adulation that he insists on telling everyone around him how smart he is, what a great father he is, how he's the perfect husband, etc..

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »
I don't want to EVER have to ride the Washington metro again. 

whywork

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2019, 10:36:30 PM »
go to a coffee shop and watch others rush for their work while I calmly sip my coffee knowing that I have to go back to home and watch that netflix rerun

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2019, 01:22:00 AM »
Ooooo, I would LOVE this! I too have to spent time on many webexes involving inane crap that doesn't even have much to do with me.

Check with your EvilGlobalMegaCorp IT dept if you can bring your own headset in. Mine is a Jabra Evolve 65. It has a little dongle that plugs into the computers USB port, so it appears like a normal wired headset to the pc, but Im not attached.

It also enables unlimited spinning round in your chair while on said conference calls

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2019, 03:09:56 AM »
The organisations ( Church) model: "Im Mittelpunkt der Mensch" translating to " the focus is on humans" when clearly the focus is on MONEY
This hypocrisy really annoys me.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2019, 10:29:51 AM »
At 6.5 years post-FIRE, work is so far in my rearview mirror that I've managed to purge a lot of the petty shit from memory. I sure as hell don't want to dredge it up again, so I'll just live vicariously through the comments on this thread.

I do remember working a retail job during my gap year. An older woman said, "I'm waiting for my morning break, I'm waiting for my lunch break, I'm waiting for my afternoon break. I don't want to wish my life away." It had a huge impact on me, as did a bout with cancer a couple of years later. Sure, there was plenty of petty shit along the way that reinforced my desire to seek FIRE, but the die was cast early on. So long ago that the term FIRE didn't

Tl;Dr - PTF.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2019, 10:46:35 AM »
I will giggle to myself often at the thought of NOT going on meaningless, multi-day work trips to locations across the country. 

I am giggling as I write this knowing I am never going to get on an airplane for that company again -- last day is April 5th and I already refused a trip between my notice day and that end point. 

Can you believe they actually wanted me to fly 5 hours one way to some stupid meeting during my 3 weeks notice?  When they knew I had quit?  WTAF!  It is like an addiction they had to commanding I run around for them and they hadn't considered that perhaps that is not a good use of anyone's resources. 

Felt so good to say no.  Just nope. 

Ahhhhh....  tee hee!  I knew this would feel good but I am surprised at how much.  I wonder how long this high will last, but I bet a long, long time. 

whywork

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2019, 12:04:16 PM »
I will giggle to myself often at the thought of NOT going on meaningless, multi-day work trips to locations across the country. 

I am giggling as I write this knowing I am never going to get on an airplane for that company again -- last day is April 5th and I already refused a trip between my notice day and that end point. 

Can you believe they actually wanted me to fly 5 hours one way to some stupid meeting during my 3 weeks notice?  When they knew I had quit?  WTAF!  It is like an addiction they had to commanding I run around for them and they hadn't considered that perhaps that is not a good use of anyone's resources. 

Ahhhhh....  tee hee!  I knew this would feel good but I am surprised at how much.  I wonder how long this high will last, but I bet a long, long time.

I hate those last days of work after you give notice; they feel free to mistreat you however. I personally avoid giving notice if I could

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »

I hate those last days of work after you give notice; they feel free to mistreat you however. I personally avoid giving notice if I could

I was working for a large accounting firm and gave two weeks notice to go to a direct competitor. Normally they would have walked me out the door. But no, they wanted me to spend two weeks reviewing highly sensitive internal documents that would have given me new insights into how to compete with them. When I pointed this out, they changed their minds.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #226 on: March 24, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
I remember on Dr. Doom's blog (livingafi.com) he was scolded by some dork in HR for not attending training during his notice period.  When Doom pointed out he wouldn't be around to use the thing they were trying to train him for, HR dork said they would take it up with Doom's manager. 

Maybe there is a low grade poison gas being piped into the HVAC systems of all MegaCorps, killing brain cells daily. 

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: March 24, 2019, 04:06:36 PM »

WTF! The notice period is supposed to be for you to document your duties and train your successors, not so they can squeeze as much work as possible from you before you're out the door. Do they not understand that? Good on you for refusing!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #228 on: March 24, 2019, 09:50:47 PM »
Friday: "Are you up to anything fun this weekend?"
Monday: "How was your weekend?"

I will never ask about anyones weekend ever, nor answer a question about my weekend, when I FIRE.

+1 for weekend interrogations. It's nobody's business to ask what I do in the weekend. If I have something to tell, I will do so by myself.

I have a coworker that spends the first half of the day repeating their stories from the evening or weekend before to everyone that comes by. Over and over I get to hear a long version.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:50 AM »
I remember on Dr. Doom's blog (livingafi.com) he was scolded by some dork in HR for not attending training during his notice period.  When Doom pointed out he wouldn't be around to use the thing they were trying to train him for, HR dork said they would take it up with Doom's manager. 

Maybe there is a low grade poison gas being piped into the HVAC systems of all MegaCorps, killing brain cells daily.

And what can they do if you don't meet up on meaningless training events? Fire you?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2019, 02:29:09 AM »

We have a terrible 3 months! I hope that this time, I can take up my summer vacation at the end (5 weeks). But I have no legal right to take that up outside summer. We'll have to see how that works out.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2019, 02:50:18 AM »

And what can they do if you don't meet up on meaningless training events? Fire you?
Yes. Of course. If you don't uphold your part of the contract they can fire you, meaning you don't get money for the "notice time" and may suffer other disadvantages later (can't say about the US, but in Germany, if you caused being fired you don't get money from the state for 3 month. I would be bloody surprised if the US does not do something like that.)

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2019, 04:11:02 AM »
In my industry usually once you give notice that you're resigning, they tell you to resign immediately and pay you 4 weeks' pay but specify that you cannot work for those 4 weeks. This prevents you from affecting morale at the firm you're leaving but also prevents you from actively helping the firm you're joining.

On another note, I've never met anyone from HR who wasn't deeply mediocre.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2019, 05:55:39 AM »

OMG, this.  A friend of mine at work gave notice right before MegaCorp takeover.  She was only going to be there two weeks after the takeover, and they made her sit through three days of HR meetings on policies and procedures.

The kicker is that she was a specialized mission-critical person with knowledge no one else had.  Uh, MegaCorp -- do you think maybe you should have sent your best and brightest from HQ to spend time with this person instead?  Might have been a better use of the time?   

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2019, 08:27:59 AM »
MegaCorp doesn't think logically on an individual basis.  All that matters is overall policy for the giant machine.  No disention allowed, unless you receive sign-offs and approvals through at least 5 levels up the management chain.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2019, 08:32:17 AM »

Yes. Of course. If you don't uphold your part of the contract they can fire you, meaning you don't get money for the "notice time" and may suffer other disadvantages later (can't say about the US, but in Germany, if you caused being fired you don't get money from the state for 3 month. I would be bloody surprised if the US does not do something like that.)

Fortunately no such contract situation here.  The worst thing they will do is feel butt hurt that they no longer control me.  Habits die hard.  Snert.

My last boss called me Friday and said, "Congratulations!  And if I may, F you."  hahahahahaha

A little peek behind the curtain on that one.   

Another happy thing-  I got my Sundays back.  This weekend was the first one in YEARS that I did not have a shadow over me on Sunday, hanging with work dread.  Even though I still have 2 weeks left that feeling vanished.  Amazing. 

Furthermore, I was supposed to be at work an hour ago and seem to have completely forgotten where I put my remaining fucks to give.  Huh.  Fresh out I guess. 

Bwwahahahahahahahaha!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:34:27 AM by MissNancyPryor »

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »
I want to put "RETIRED, B!TCHES" in my LinkedIn profile for a period of one month, and then delete/deactivate my profile forever. Never go to the site again.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »
go to a coffee shop and watch others rush for their work while I calmly sip my coffee knowing that I have to go back to home and watch that netflix rerun

For some reason this reminded me of a post I saw a while back.  I don't remember who or what thread, but she said she would set an alarm in the morning just so she could laugh and turn it off.  So cruel. 

Laughing at all the people fighting morning traffic before nodding back off is a decently petty reason. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2019, 11:26:37 AM »

For some reason this reminded me of a post I saw a while back.  I don't remember who or what thread, but she said she would set an alarm in the morning just so she could laugh and turn it off.  So cruel. 

Laughing at all the people fighting morning traffic before nodding back off is a decently petty reason.
But its a f***ing good one :D

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2019, 11:34:40 AM »

But its a f***ing good one :D
Ha, I experienced a version of this today. Now that my broken bones have healed, I scheduled an 8:30 walk with my long-lost walking partner. The alarm went off at 8:00. I thought I had hit the snooze button, but apparently I had shut it off, which I did not realize until 8:25. Oops!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2019, 11:51:55 AM »

I'm not a flyer so I'm not in airports more than once a decade (I'm overdue now). I've wondered how many of the business people around me are actually flying to accomplish something useful that couldn't be done by video conference.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »

I'm not a flyer so I'm not in airports more than once a decade (I'm overdue now). I've wondered how many of the business people around me are actually flying to accomplish something useful that couldn't be done by video conference.

In my experience of flying for work (far too often) , less than 20%

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
I will very likely never reach the RE portion of FIRE, but I might approach FI, and am in the very least attempting to fund a lifestyle change.

My heartfelt reason has already been claimed: I haaaate watching my dog watch me drive away at 7am in the front window.  I made the mistake of getting a security system recently and it has a camera.  I can log in and occasionally see her looking out the window.  She's probably just watching squirrels and farting up there on the sofa, but she might also be pining for my companionship.  Right?  :::Cries into coffee:::

My most petty reason is because I really really hate being told what to do with my time. 
Sometimes I feel like there's this huge ballooning bratty child inside of me fighting against the polite smile I use at work when I hear about something stupid/awful the organization has done, and I still have to punch in for them. 
I like working with folks who have the same vision as me, and I like working for my own vision, but I do not like working for another persons vision.  Not cool and a sad waste of my life energy. 

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2019, 03:17:51 PM »
Manager said as an exempt employee he checks his email during the weekends.  Said through gritted teeth since I didn't see his urgent weekend email until this morning.

I'm an exempt employee.

I don't know if weekend duty is petty though?  This may have to be saved for serious and legit reasons for FIRE?

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »
Manager said as an exempt employee he checks his email during the weekends.  Said through gritted teeth since I didn't see his urgent weekend email until this morning.

I'm an exempt employee.

I don't know if weekend duty is petty though?  This may have to be saved for serious and legit reasons for FIRE?

Email is not the proper way to get ahold of someone for an emergency.  That's what phone calls, or at least texting, is for.  As the only person in charge of my company's entire IT infrastructure (public websites included), I'm on call 24/7, but I still don't check email after hours.  It's a purposeful boundary.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
Email is not the proper way to get ahold of someone for an emergency.  That's what phone calls, or at least texting, is for.  As the only person in charge of my company's entire IT infrastructure (public websites included), I'm on call 24/7, but I still don't check email after hours.  It's a purposeful boundary.

It wasn't an emergency, but urgent--needed data by the morning.  But you're right, if it was that important to him, he could have called or texted.  But he doesn't want to take responsibility and instead shifts the burden on me to comply with the megacorp code accordingly.  It seems to be the norm at my megacorp for people high up the food chain to weekend email all the time.  I just didn't think I was high enough on the food chain to participate. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2019, 07:09:11 PM »

Setting an alarm clock early to just turn it off and laugh and go back to sleep sounds funny. If I wasn't such a non-morning person I might actually try to do that. But I don't want an alarm to mess up my morning sleep-in.

This also reminds me of paddling in an urban waterway recently. I was paddling right under an underpass around 4pm when rush hour traffic was just starting. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and glad I wasn't one of the lemmings stuck in traffic.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #247 on: March 25, 2019, 08:58:59 PM »
To prove wrong all the people that said it couldn't be done.

This. And then laugh internally like Yzma whenever someone mentions having to go to work instead of enjoying a beautiful summer day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnnI-RN3i4

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #248 on: March 25, 2019, 09:04:42 PM »
My most petty reason? I don't like being told what to do . . . by anyone . . . for any reason. Most of the time that just means I'm being petty.

Basically, shooting for this: (nsfw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdfeXqHFmPI

edited to add the brilliant modern take by jlcollins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikbQPldhPY
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:08:16 PM by Zamboni »

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #249 on: March 25, 2019, 09:16:45 PM »

... It has a little dongle that plugs into the computers USB port..

Heh, heh. Dongle.   
(ignore the advertisement at the end)

Also highlights a petty reason: no more waiting 15 minutes for the meeting to start because the meeting owner didn't show up early enough to get set up properly.