Author Topic: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?  (Read 98415 times)

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
Re: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?
« Reply #750 on: November 22, 2019, 06:00:17 AM »
Uugh.  My employer moved us all to a new office with an "open floor plan" a little over a year ago.
Yes, it is absolutely horrible for productivity.  If I had to estimate, I'd say at least a 25% decline in productivity from me.
One of the people who sits near me has a terrible habit of repeatedly just shouting out my name when he wants to get my attention -- increasing in volume for each subsequent time he shouts my name. I find it extremely offensive.  Even if he clearly can see (since it's an open floor plan), that I'm in the middle of typing something.

I just keep telling myself "just keep showing up as long as the direct-deposits keep hitting the checking account", and "FIRE is near"....

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #751 on: November 22, 2019, 07:12:36 AM »
I’m so glad the work I do can’t be done in an open floor plan office. It would drive me crazy. As of now, I work in an inner office of a larger office space, which opens onto a common area. I sometimes close both doors (the door to my office and the door to the larger office space) to get some peace and quiet so I can concentrate. One of my colleagues works in a different part of the building. Her office has floor to ceiling windows (with no blinds) looking onto their shared conference room. I call her office “the fish bowl”.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #752 on: November 22, 2019, 07:37:58 AM »
Most of the people at my work (including me) have offices with doors but sound carries very far along the corridors where it can be distracting having to hear everything from 6 doors down.  About a month ago I got some good noise canceling headphones (with airline reward points!) and it was changed everything.  I would not want to have to deal with people sitting behind me or not having an assigned desk. 

techwiz

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #753 on: November 22, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
I’m so glad the work I do can’t be done in an open floor plan office. It would drive me crazy. As of now, I work in an inner office of a larger office space, which opens onto a common area. I sometimes close both doors (the door to my office and the door to the larger office space) to get some peace and quiet so I can concentrate. One of my colleagues works in a different part of the building. Her office has floor to ceiling windows (with no blinds) looking onto their shared conference room. I call her office “the fish bowl”.

I think every office has a "Fish Bowl" meeting room or equivalent space. One manager here who was placed in such as office covered the glass with paper to get some privacy. Accommodations forced them to remove it apparently it's part of the open concept and helps let the natural light flow to the maximum area. 

EscapedApe

• Stubble
« Reply #754 on: November 22, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »
When I think about this question long and hard I really only have one reason to seek FIRE..

..... I just don't want people telling me what to do.

To have people come to you with incentives rather than imperatives.

This is the best reason to FIRE, I think.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #755 on: November 22, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »
ugh, "open work spaces". Our company introduced them several years ago at another location and so many people quit that there's an entire floor of empty "open work spaces". They backed down and didn't transition the rest of that building or the building near it. I'm at a different location that is kind of an outlier, and we all have private offices, but there will be two locations with new buildings soon and tons of "open work space". You have to really be quite high up in the company to have an office now unless you're in a grandfathered location where offices exist and it would cost money to transition them out. When I end up in a position where it's open work space time, I will pull the plug. I hate other noise so much that I am fairly sure I have at least mild misophonia. Even being in meetings with people and their damn clicky pens will send me into a rage (another petty reason to FIRE).

MissNancyPryor

• Pencil Stache
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #756 on: November 22, 2019, 10:25:28 AM »
ugh, "open work spaces". Our company introduced them several years ago at another location and so many people quit that there's an entire floor of empty "open work spaces". They backed down and didn't transition the rest of that building or the building near it. I'm at a different location that is kind of an outlier, and we all have private offices, but there will be two locations with new buildings soon and tons of "open work space". You have to really be quite high up in the company to have an office now unless you're in a grandfathered location where offices exist and it would cost money to transition them out. When I end up in a position where it's open work space time, I will pull the plug. I hate other noise so much that I am fairly sure I have at least mild misophonia. Even being in meetings with people and their damn clicky pens will send me into a rage (another petty reason to FIRE).

Oh, yah.  I gotta chime in here.  I FIRED the first time in April 2019 from a very nice executive office with a view.  I then spent 4 months in an analyst job this summer and it was a huge and final reminder about the absolute suckitude of cubicle life where I had spent most of my career.  This particular office had low walls and close seating so I spent my days hearing and smelling my co-workers, about 3 feet away from and facing each of my closest neighbors.  I participated as an unwilling observer to every nose pick and received the fine spittle of every open mouth cough.  I reluctantly heard every phone call from their kids as well as the conversations they had with each of the people they faced.  Unsanitary, distracting, stupid way to make people work.   

One day a guy on the floor decided to cook himself up the most stinky fish for lunch, absolutely a not-fresh slab of bad salmon or similar, and it created a vomit-inducing stank of cooked dead flesh.  The entire floor was polluted and people from other adjoining areas started looking around for who the asshole was.  When discovered the dumbass just acted like, "hey, I gotta be me" with a smirking shrug.  He sat 40 feet away from me and I thought I would barf.

So glad to be out of that! 

These cubicles are the opposite of productivity.     

lv2glrfy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #757 on: November 22, 2019, 11:03:19 AM »
Pettiest reason that I'm still self-righteous enough to think is legitimate: Move out of the american south, get to the northeast, and never have to deal with 95 degree weather (and 80%+ humidity) in late October again. Look, palm trees are nice I guess, but I've lived in the south my entire life and I just think the weather's goshawful horrific. Bonus: I get to stop listening to other homegrown southerners complain "it's so freezing outside waaaaaaa" when the temp dips below 50. Geez y'all are weak. This is why the south lost the war.

Additional less petty and more Mustachian reason: Avoid traffic and driving at all costs for as long as we live here. Atlanta drivers are legitimately the meanest I've ever seen..every single day I see people run red lights, drive on the wrong side of the road, and nearly cause fatal crashes casually. And it's always inevitably the most expensive, shiniest, biggest luxury gas-guzzlers doing this. I just don't want those abominations in front of mine eyes ever again.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #758 on: November 22, 2019, 03:44:58 PM »
Pettiest reason that I'm still self-righteous enough to think is legitimate: Move out of the american south, get to the northeast, and never have to deal with 95 degree weather (and 80%+ humidity) in late October again. Look, palm trees are nice I guess, but I've lived in the south my entire life and I just think the weather's goshawful horrific. Bonus: I get to stop listening to other homegrown southerners complain "it's so freezing outside waaaaaaa" when the temp dips below 50. Geez y'all are weak. This is why the south lost the war.

Additional less petty and more Mustachian reason: Avoid traffic and driving at all costs for as long as we live here. Atlanta drivers are legitimately the meanest I've ever seen..every single day I see people run red lights, drive on the wrong side of the road, and nearly cause fatal crashes casually. And it's always inevitably the most expensive, shiniest, biggest luxury gas-guzzlers doing this. I just don't want those abominations in front of mine eyes ever again.

You do recognize the irony of calling southerners weak for complaining about cold weather, but then not being able to deal with heat and humidity yourself, right?

But yes, I totally would like to leave the South.  For me it's much more about the culture than the weather. 

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #759 on: November 23, 2019, 04:26:10 AM »
Everyone is suppose to move to this type of setup. I think our group is still a year or more away from being transitioned. Everyone I have talked to said they like it ,but when I question them further I find out they work from home most of the time. If everyone came in there would not be enough space. The logic for efficient use of space makes sense, but some type of work just doesn't fit this model.

I think Terry pratchett put it nicely like this:
Even writers, once accepted as an elusive breed, now how to go out and meet people constantly.

It is the extrovert ideal and it is made worse because it generally is introduced by managers, who generally do extrovert work and have the traits (or learned to simulate them).

It is similar to brainstorming: It has been shown again and again that the "normal" way of doing them is ineffective. You get better ideas if you have people thinking about them outside of a big meeting and write them down where everyone can see (and comment!) them and only after a certain time get together in a bigger, formal group.
But that is way too introvert to fit in our "always on" times.

My direct coworker is extremely extroverted and I'm pretty much the opposite. I haven't found a way to deal with it yet without offending someone. What I hate most is they always want to talk, about work, about the weather, about super private things that I don't want to talk or hear about, just about anything to fill the silence. And I need silence to be able to focus on work. Because we need to cooperate closely and discuss things all the time, noise cancelling headphones are not allowed or I would have gotten them long ago.

And what sucks even more is that I'm a woman so I'm supposed to be a little more understanding - I've noticed that as a woman, being clear and direct is often perceived as being 'bitchy', I need to be a little more 'kind' than my male coworkers. I don't mind small talk and I actually have good conversations with some other coworker, but this person just gets on my nerves. And whenever we're alone they're always trying to steer the topic to extremely personal subjecs that I really don't want to talk about at work. I think the tactic is to ask me about this so I have to ask them in return, so they can go on a rant about their feelings on the subject, and I refuse to play that game. I'll answer any super inappropriate question with raised eyebrows and an extremely vague short answer.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #760 on: November 23, 2019, 06:36:46 AM »
Everyone is suppose to move to this type of setup. I think our group is still a year or more away from being transitioned. Everyone I have talked to said they like it ,but when I question them further I find out they work from home most of the time. If everyone came in there would not be enough space. The logic for efficient use of space makes sense, but some type of work just doesn't fit this model.

Even writers, once accepted as an elusive breed, now how to go out and meet people constantly.

It is the extrovert ideal and it is made worse because it generally is introduced by managers, who generally do extrovert work and have the traits (or learned to simulate them).

It is similar to brainstorming: It has been shown again and again that the "normal" way of doing them is ineffective. You get better ideas if you have people thinking about them outside of a big meeting and write them down where everyone can see (and comment!) them and only after a certain time get together in a bigger, formal group.

My direct coworker is extremely extroverted and I'm pretty much the opposite. I haven't found a way to deal with it yet without offending someone. What I hate most is they always want to talk, about work, about the weather, about super private things that I don't want to talk or hear about, just about anything to fill the silence. And I need silence to be able to focus on work. Because we need to cooperate closely and discuss things all the time, noise cancelling headphones are not allowed or I would have gotten them long ago.

And what sucks even more is that I'm a woman so I'm supposed to be a little more understanding - I've noticed that as a woman, being clear and direct is often perceived as being 'bitchy', I need to be a little more 'kind' than my male coworkers. I don't mind small talk and I actually have good conversations with some other coworker, but this person just gets on my nerves. And whenever we're alone they're always trying to steer the topic to extremely personal subjecs that I really don't want to talk about at work. I think the tactic is to ask me about this so I have to ask them in return, so they can go on a rant about their feelings on the subject, and I refuse to play that game. I'll answer any super inappropriate question with raised eyebrows and an extremely vague short answer.

@Imma Can you ask your supervisor to be placed somewhere else. Just mention that the coworker keeps you from being productive?

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: November 23, 2019, 06:52:27 AM »

@Imma Can you ask your supervisor to be placed somewhere else. Just mention that the coworker keeps you from being productive?

Nope, we're all together in a very small space. I know my boss is trying to convince HQ we need a bigger office but no luck so far. The place is already noisy enough without someone talking all the time.

lv2glrfy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #762 on: November 23, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
You do recognize the irony of calling southerners weak for complaining about cold weather, but then not being able to deal with heat and humidity yourself, right?

I mean, yes, but I still think it’s more reasonable to complain about July weather in late October than to complain about late October weather in late October :)

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #763 on: December 05, 2019, 12:31:45 PM »
To never spend another day having to worry about whether or not my long-planned, long-approved, nonrefundable vacation is going to be pulled out from under me 2 weeks before I'm supposed to leave because things went sideways at work.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #764 on: December 06, 2019, 02:21:14 AM »
To never spend another day having to worry about whether or not my long-planned, long-approved, nonrefundable vacation is going to be pulled out from under me 2 weeks before I'm supposed to leave because things went sideways at work.

You need better unions. In my country the employer would have to refund the paid vacation in such cases.

But even then it would suck that your plans are torpeded like that.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #765 on: December 06, 2019, 04:37:22 AM »

You need better unions. In my country the employer would have to refund the paid vacation in such cases.

The sad part is that I have a union.  I'm a federal employee.  They claim they have "no obligation or authority to reimburse an employee for costs incurred by an employee resulting from the cancellation of his or her leave."

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #766 on: December 07, 2019, 09:00:44 AM »

The sad part is that I have a union.  I'm a federal employee.  They claim they have "no obligation or authority to reimburse an employee for costs incurred by an employee resulting from the cancellation of his or her leave."

Well then you still need better unions, I guess. :(  In my country an employer cannot cancel an approved period of leave unless extremely exceptional circumstances pop up (and exceptional circumstances aren't: 'oh, Jim broke his leg, so we're one employee short' as employees calling in sick is a normal part of running a company) and they'd have to refund the full costs for your cancelled holiday too. I think this hardly ever happens, at least I've never even heard of someone's leave being cancelled like that.

One reason I want to FIRE asap is I wish I had more time for crafting. I'm planning all my projects for the 2 weeks my workplace is closed over Christmas and there are way too many projects I want to do over that short period of time. As I'm in grad school I don't really have time for crafting during term and in summer I often work OT when coworkers are on vacation.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #767 on: December 07, 2019, 05:48:49 PM »
I really can't stand the narcissism and pettiness of LinkedIn, and I can't wait to be able to delete my profile on that site (or at least change it to: "Retired"!)

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: December 08, 2019, 06:04:56 AM »

But yes, I totally would like to leave the South.  For me it's much more about the culture than the weather.
You could move to Atlanta.  It's the least "southern" town I've lived in.  Almost everyone here is from somewhere else.  As the other poster mentioned, you would have to deal with some shitty traffic and crazy drivers.

ApacheStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #769 on: December 08, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to not maintaining or updating a resume along with not dealing with cover letters, phone screens, interviews and whiteboard coding exercises.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #770 on: December 09, 2019, 10:29:05 AM »

You could move to Atlanta.  It's the least "southern" town I've lived in.  Almost everyone here is from somewhere else.  As the other poster mentioned, you would have to deal with some shitty traffic and crazy drivers.

Atlanta is ok, but I wouldn't care to live there.  It is way too sprawly and car-dependent. 

tipster350

• Stubble
« Reply #771 on: December 10, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »
I want to delete the Ask a Manager link from my bookmarks.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #772 on: December 10, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »
I want to end the yearly self-evaluations and reviews.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #773 on: December 10, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
Last week, I gave a personal recommendation for a coworker’s husband for a job that was being posted by a friend’s company. My friend was on the hiring committee. Yesterday, same coworker complained to her and my superiors about me and my work and according to my superior “said some really unkind things”. Luckily, I was right, she was wrong, and the whole incident just made her look petty, but this kind of crap is tiresome.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #774 on: December 11, 2019, 12:24:27 AM »
I'm sorry if I wrote these before, but I don't remember all that I wrote in this thread.

I don't want to have to drive to work in all sorts of difficult driving circumstances (icy roads).

I want to sleep as long as is natural to me.

I don't want to have to break off my trips/vacations while they are still good because I have to be back at work at certain days.

I don't want to do any more scrum meetings, or scrum-related shit.

I don't want to have to focus on flexitime, saving up enough extra hours for a period to be able to take a day off later. Currently I have 4 hours left while tomorrow is my last day. I have decided to leave really early this afternoon, like at 1 pm. My goodbye cake is at 2 pm, so I'll need to wait until after that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:29:24 AM by Linea_Norway »

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #775 on: December 11, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »

Atlanta is ok, but I wouldn't care to live there.  It is way too sprawly and car-dependent.

And when you're in your car, it's like Mad Max on the Interstates...

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #776 on: December 12, 2019, 02:39:31 AM »
I work across several teams in my company. My petty reason for FIRE-ing is that I won’t have to decide who to give Christmas cards to and who will be offended if they don’t receive a card. Or maybe next year, I’ll just make several packages of goodies and give to whomever crosses my path over the course of the week.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #777 on: December 12, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »

Only on those occasions when they're not parking lots.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #778 on: December 12, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »

Only on those occasions when they're not parking lots.

I'm pretty sure that the car on fire was at least partially the reason that I-85 was a parking lot the last time I was there. 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #779 on: December 13, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
Pettiest reason that I'm still self-righteous enough to think is legitimate: Move out of the american south, get to the northeast, and never have to deal with 95 degree weather (and 80%+ humidity) in late October again. Look, palm trees are nice I guess, but I've lived in the south my entire life and I just think the weather's goshawful horrific.

Same, but, opposite? Lifelong Chicagoan, and I think our weather is horrific. I hate cold. I hate snow. I hate snow in late April. I hate snow on Halloween. Both of those things happened this year. I don't think that -50 F windchills are ever OK. I hate that it was only in the 50s (ABOVE zero, haha) this year on the freaking summer solstice. (My tomato and pepper plants hated it too.) I'm increasingly resentful of my job, and my entire industry, because it ties me to snowy climates. Or, oddly, Florida - no thank you. No offense to Floridians but I've been a few times and didn't like it.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #780 on: December 23, 2019, 03:37:35 PM »
My latest reason is the constant distractions at work.  I'm never given the time I need to sit down and actually focus on a task/project long enough to complete it.  I bet I'm interrupted at least 15 times per day.  Every time there's an interruption, I lose focus and it takes a while to figure out where I was when I come back to whatever I was working on.  I find this kind of work environment to be extremely exhausting.  It's hurting my ability to focus on anything, and when I get home my nerves are totally frazzled.  I'm mentally tired all the time now.

lv2glrfy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #781 on: January 03, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
I don't think that -50 F windchills are ever OK. I hate that it was only in the 50s (ABOVE zero, haha) this year on the freaking summer solstice. (My tomato and pepper plants hated it too.)

Gosh, that...doesn't sound nice. I'm sorry. I'd like that more what we have here, but that's admittedly not even close to "ideal" for me. Still...wanna switch? :)

2sk22

• Bristles
« Reply #782 on: January 09, 2020, 05:14:35 AM »
My latest reason is the constant distractions at work.  I'm never given the time I need to sit down and actually focus on a task/project long enough to complete it.  I bet I'm interrupted at least 15 times per day.  Every time there's an interruption, I lose focus and it takes a while to figure out where I was when I come back to whatever I was working on.  I find this kind of work environment to be extremely exhausting.  It's hurting my ability to focus on anything, and when I get home my nerves are totally frazzled.  I'm mentally tired all the time now.

This is exactly why I quit my previous job. There were endless scrum calls, planning meetings, review meetings, all-hands - gah! Nobody ever got any work done in that company.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #783 on: January 09, 2020, 09:48:29 PM »
Petty shit I don’t miss that pushed me to FIRE:
- Useless weekly staff meetings that were not about meaningful communication or project planning.
- Having an office next to the employee entrance and watching the boss drag his ass in everyday with the enthusiasm of a sloth
- Listening to personal dramas of co-workers
- Hearing the English language abused by co-workers (“I seen”) who admonished others for not speaking decent English
- As financial manager, by default and for no apparent reason, having to deal with employees’ broken cell phones, damage to work vehicles, DUIs...

By the end I was so over.  It.  All.  I still don’t know how I lasted.

teacherwithamustache

• Stubble
« Reply #784 on: January 10, 2020, 10:34:59 AM »
Go to the bathroom whenever I need too
Being able to drink beer whenever I wish

I want to laugh at all of the spendy pants teachers I know who have no idea how to save money, and no desire to save money.  Continue to fail at life and hate working every day. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #785 on: January 10, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
- Hearing the English language abused by co-workers (“I seen”) who admonished others for not speaking decent English

Oooo, this happens all the time at my workplace. Is yours always barely-educated native speakers claiming they can't understand anyone with a foreign accent? 'Cause that's what happens here.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #786 on: January 10, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »

Oooo, this happens all the time at my workplace. Is yours always barely-educated native speakers claiming they can't understand anyone with a foreign accent? 'Cause that's what happens here.

Yup.  This was usually followed by talking to them loudly — you know, to make English more clear — and getting pissed off the minute the customers left.