Author Topic: What is with the toilet paper hoarding?  (Read 21793 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
What is with the toilet paper hoarding?
« on: March 11, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »
Amid the coronavirus panic, stores are running out of toilet paper.  Costco has been absolute insanity the last several weeks, and they've been out of toilet paper every time I go.  I need to buy toilet paper now because it's my regular schedule to restock on toilet paper, and the stores are all out.  I still have enough to last me another month probably, but I like to keep a pack in the basement because I like to be well stocked on basic supplies I use every day.

I guess I just don't get it.  Why toilet paper? Why the run on toilet paper? All these people panicked about coronavirus - did they not anticipate needing toilet paper before this virus? What have they been using literally every day of their life?  How has this virus caused a surge in people needing toilet paper?  My wife seems to think it's people stocking up in anticipation of a quarantine.  She also seems to think most people are not like me and don't "stock up" on items (I would hardly call what I do "stocking up".  I keep a stack of like 6 rolls in one bathroom, and I keep my other bathroom cupboard stocked with rolls.  Beyond that I have a single costco sized pack of toilet paper in the basement, which is enough to restock both bathrooms fully about 1.5 times).   

I have a couple of issues with her reasoning though.  How long do people think they are going to be in quarantine? Are they expecting a government mandated lock down that is going to last months? Or are they anticipating potentially getting sick and needing to self quarantine for 2 weeks? Secondly, how do people not keep a stock of something like toilet paper as a general rule?  What if life gets busy and you can't get to the store for a week or 2?  Do you just stop using toilet paper, or have these people never gotten busy in their lives and constantly go to the store to purchase toilet paper a few day's worth at a time?  Do all these people not keep enough TP in the event they get a regular virus like the flu or food poisoning?

CNM

• Pencil Stache
Re: What is with the toilet paper hoarding?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
I think it's a combination of people anticipating a quarantine for at least 2 weeks (probably more), people anticipating being ill for a few weeks with coronavirus and unable to leave their homes, and plain old panic.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
I don't know. I bought one big pack at Costco 2 weeks ago because that's the pack that we normally buy. I did buy it (and a few other things) a couple weeks earlier than I might have done otherwise because I expected a run on non-perishables once we had a local case, and I know that people in our area are vultures at grocery stores when faced with the prospect of 6 inches of snow. I avoid those panic situations whenever possible. I think I will only need to set foot in Joe Randazzo's on Friday to replace produce, and avoid the rest of the nonsense for a couple of weeks.

I do know that there have been panics in Hong Kong and Japan over toilet paper, and sell-outs in Australia. That's probably crystallized in people's minds as "we're all going to run out of toilet paper and it will be anarchy!"

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 09:56:36 AM »
Peace of mind.  Same with hand sanitizer.  People want to feel like they're taking steps to ensure their well being during this outbreak.

Hand sanitizer is a bit more useful, but with cross contamination it's really not so great.  Also, coronavirus doesn't enter from the hands.  Not touching your face except when your hands are clean is a better strategy imo. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 10:02:37 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but I was building a toilet paper fort.

Why? Is something happening?

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but I was building a toilet paper fort.

Why? Is something happening?

N95 masks are more structurally sound!

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
I'm currently trapped at home indefinitely because an unusually early and ferocious mud season has made all 3 dirt roads out of here impassable. The mud-moat is protecting me from the germ-bringing hordes better than hand sanitizer ever could, and I'm glad I was already hoarding toilet paper before that got all trendy.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »
Didn't you hear?

The only known cure for coronavirus is toilet paper.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 10:28:38 AM »
If it was norovirus or rotavirus I would understand.  I expect in a couple months there will be some great deals on toilet paper.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 10:29:52 AM »
We aren't seeing runs on TP around here but the one thing that is going: bottled water.  Even people who normally use tap water are getting it.

I guess if you normally use bottled water then I guess it makes sense but if not, it's not like the water will stop running. 

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 10:35:15 AM »
The illusion of control is being shattered by the coronavirus, hence people are anxious. Most of us are good consumeristic westerners and we "solve" our problems by buying stuff. So people alleviate their anxieties about loss of control by hoarding things like TP, facemasks, and so on. It's all a sad commentary on the shallowness of our society.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 10:40:40 AM »
I think it's a combination of people anticipating a quarantine for at least 2 weeks (probably more), people anticipating being ill for a few weeks with coronavirus and unable to leave their homes, and plain old panic.
I think it's time to question your life choices if you typically keep less than 14 days of toilet paper on hand.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 10:43:38 AM »
Yes bottled water is going like hot cakes too.  Costco had a limit of 2 cases per person, and they actually had to have an employee standing there pointing at the sign when people were taking more than 2.  The employees seemed pissed like they are totally done with this bullshit.  You get 2 cases of water asshole, you see that big fucking sign that says limit 2 per member? That means there is a limit.  Of 2 cases. Per member.  So put your other 4 cases back you illiterate jackass.  And you want toilet paper? Tough shit! We are all out of kirkland brand! You'll have to buy the more expensive charmin brand...while it lasts!

The employees were not actually using profanity, but from their tone and body language I could tell they absolutely wanted to. 

The water I almost get.  Some people don't drink tap water.  I think they are likely idiots and I don't agree with them, but at least I understand how this panic could cause you to stock up on a couple more cases of water you already buy.  I think it's extremely unlikely that water services will stop, but I suppose I understand people not thinking rationally and wanting to stock up on a couple cases of water "just in case" for some weird reason.  Not my thing, but I can kind of understand the behavior driving it.  But the toilet paper just has me flummoxed.  You all use toilet paper literally everyday.  You are also clearly a member of a bulk warehouse club where you buy your supplies.  How do you not already have toilet paper at all times?!?!?!?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 10:44:46 AM »
I think it's time to question your life choices if you typically keep less than 14 days of toilet paper on hand.

G-String

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 11:07:17 AM »
I've been trying to go to the bathroom more at work lately in order to conserve TP at home. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 11:14:02 AM »
I've been trying to go to the bathroom more at work lately in order to conserve TP at home.
I always do this.  I'm not about to poop on my own time.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 11:14:27 AM »
I'm just confused at the idea in general really. If things go to hell, not being able to wipe my @$$ is pretty low priority.

Do people not have baths/showers/wash clothes? If those solutions don't work, then things are really bad, and I guess I'll just make do like we did for the first 200,000 years of human existence.

Food and water make sense if you're prepping for disaster, but in the event of an apocalypse I'm not trading food for TP.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »
I'm just glad my wasteful roommate has left.  By myself, I use one double roll of TP about every 2 weeks.  With her here, I was putting out a new roll every 3 days!  I expect that she would run out quickly.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »

My reaction to seeing a neighbor bring home a 4-pack of tp yesterday:

G-String

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 11:20:18 AM »
Problem lately is people have been stealing toilet paper form the office bathroom to take home. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
I think people are worrying about being in quarantine for a month.

I usually only buy a 12-pack every 2 weeks.  I have 2 12-packs right now.  I have had a tendency to be on the last roll on a Weds (Sat is shopping day), need to not do that.

If I end up in quarantine at home with my husband and 2 kids, those 24 rolls won't last.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2020, 11:39:16 AM »

Maybe all the people who poop at work have no idea how much TP their family would use if home full time for a couple of weeks.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »
I think it's not exactly hoarding that people are doing.  I think it's a combination of two other things:

1.  I think we have (had?) a finely tuned supply chain for most things.  TP would be at the top of the list in terms of supply chain tuning because it's got a simple supply chain (some trees, some bleach, some plastic wrap), the demand is easily predictable (usually), and it's probably all made here in the US, so lead time isn't even a problem.

With a Virus going around, people decide to stock up buy buying an extra 4/6/12-pack of TP.  Not a big deal to just buy some extra just in case.  But if everyone does it, the finely balanced supply chain that was expecting a constant demand gets hit with a demand shock.

2.  Once part 1 happens, people notice it happening.  This creates media attention and a FOMO-type / "bank run" type of scenario where people are afraid that there won't be TP there when they need it, so they stock up even more, which just exacerbates the problem.

Pretty much the same story with bottled water.

I'm sure the manufacturers' demand planners and manufacturing folks are hard at work trying to figure out if they need to make more product to alleviate the situation, as well as how much more and when.  That is probably hard to predict, although I'm betting that with TP the manufacturers realize that people, in aggregate, probably won't use any more over time, so there will just be an excess inventory in people's bathrooms, and when people realize it's not the End of the World As We Know It, they'll settle down and use up the excess.  So TP manufacturers likely will stay the course, as will bottled water people.  Hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes and such probably will ramp up production as there will probably be above average use of those for a while.

I'd guess that all of these products can be ramped up fairly quickly (weeks), and I personally think the panic will subside soon, so all in all a short-lived phenomenon IMHO.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 12:13:30 PM »
Given that the Sears magazine is no more...
Just pull out the yellow pages
Or the mailed adverts
Tear a page.... crumple it up until soft
Capital

Given that most youthful summers were lived at an old farmstead with no running water...
I can say it is not that bad & takes very little skill or practice to master.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 12:43:25 PM »
Or the mailed adverts
Capital

Given that most youthful summers were lived at an old farmstead with no running water...

I heard that some newspaper (don't remember which one) included a number of blank pages "for emergency use."

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/health/toilet-paper-shortages-novel-coronavirus-trnd/index.html
Reason 1 People resort to extremes when they hear conflicting messages
Reason 2 Some are reacting to the lack of a clear direction from officials
Reason 3 Panic buying begets panic buying
Reason 4 It's natural to want to overprepare
Reason 5 It allows some to feel a sense of control

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 01:04:37 PM »
Or the mailed adverts
Capital

I heard that some newspaper (don't remember which one) included a number of blank pages "for emergency use."

How ironic it will be if someone  quickly depletes their hoard of TP because they caught a bug when purchasing it at a  store crammed with other TP hoarders.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:11:37 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2020, 01:07:54 PM »
I guess I just don't get it.  Why toilet paper? Why the run on toilet paper?

I mean, have you tried it? It's cheaper than dollar bills and way softer too.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 01:10:47 PM »

Hahahahahaha . . .

My wife was like "You always keep two large Costco packs of TP in the cold room in the basement . . . that's the only thing I never have to worry about stocking up!"

:P

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »

Enjoy it while you can!  I quit in December and I use SO MUCH MORE TOILET PAPER now (and water, too).  And now this tp crisis...  Rethinking all my life decisions at this point...

The stores I frequent have plenty of TP on the shelves for now.  I bought a pack yesterday - I like to have one unopened (12/24/whatever pack) on hand while I work my way through the open one.  I didn't want to contribute to the panic, but I had a coupon to use and an extra 10% off at Target, so I bought one.

I've heard some people cite supply chain issues for the panic buying, which makes the most sense to me.  Though I know nothing about tp supply chains.

My BF regularly has to make emergency runs to the store for TP.  It's, like, the main reason I won't be living with him - I cannot deal with (what seems to me like) his complete unwillingness to think ahead.

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »

Maybe all the people who poop at work have no idea how much TP their family would use if home full time for a couple of weeks.

That's as good an explanation as any

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »
I just don't remember this whole TP thing happening with swine flu, and the warnings about it were just as scary at the time, but this weird TP insanity didn't happen.

I had H1N1 and self quarantined for a few weeks, and it was super miserable, but I can't remember thinking even once about toilet paper.

I do remember having absolutely no food stockpile and my family and friends dropping off food outside my door for me, which was good because I was floor-bound for over a week because I couldn't stand up. No way I would have been able to cook even if I had eight thousand pounds of pasta.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »
IDK

seems this is more a Kleenex illness than a TP illness

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2020, 02:11:01 PM »
Those smug assholes (pun intended) with bidets are laughing so hard right now.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2020, 02:22:37 PM »
I went to Costco first thing this past Sunday morning to pick up a thing for my house I needed for a project I wanted to do that same day.  I got there 5 minutes before the store opened and holy shitballs it was insane with the people lined up.  I sighed, grabbed one of those flat bed carts and got in line.  Once in store while everyone else was hightailing it to the back where the paper goods are stored, I went in another direction and loaded up my big box.  I stopped and checked my phone for my Costco shopping list, and damn it, I needed paper towels. 

I worked my way to the back of the store and the frenzy was insane.  I decided to park my cart three aisles over and went in.  I dodged through the carts and grabbed my paper towels, and as I danced my way back out of the fray I had to pass the TP so I grabbed a pack of that and got the hell out of there.  Did I need TP right now?  No, I still have half a Costco pack in my cupboard.  Why did I pick it up then?  Because after seeing that, there is no f'ing way I am going back to Costco for a long time because this shit is insane.

The hilarious thing was overhearing people saying "but we actually need it".  Like everyone wants to make sure they are properly identified in their camp - crazy hoarders vs. your average person who needs to wipe their ass.  Buying TP has become a source of embarrassment for the sane. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2020, 02:35:16 PM »
The hilarious thing was overhearing people saying "but we actually need it".  Like everyone wants to make sure they are properly identified in their camp - crazy hoarders vs. your average person who needs to wipe their ass.  Buying TP has become a source of embarrassment for the sane.

I recall a similar experience on 9/11 (and the day after) with gas stations. It was a terrible time to actually need gas, since the lines were going down the street.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2020, 03:06:31 PM »

I recall a similar experience on 9/11 (and the day after) with gas stations. It was a terrible time to actually need gas, since the lines were going down the street.

Oh yes I drove home from school on fumes that day. The stations in my town had jacked the price up to $5 per gallon and cars were lined up. Next day it was back to  $2 or whatever the normal price was at the time.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 03:12:14 PM »
I heard a rumor that this all actually started in China. That the Chinese were afraid that the government was going to turn toilet paper factories into mask factories and it sparked a run that went...well...viral...across the globe.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »
My local Costco was all sold out, as was my nearest Aldi.

Might have to queue up at the supermarket at 6am to ensure I get some after the shelves are stocked :p

Worst case I could hoard junk mail and use it. I wonder how many plumbers would get extra business from people flushing all types of toilet paper substitutes down the john?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 08:57:58 PM »
People overreact to everything.

I am decently worried about supplies that are actually needed by medical folks being hoarded by idiots.

markram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • One Shot Finance
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2020, 09:01:51 PM »
I think it's just an easily "hoardable" item, and once people are in that mindset they don't stop and use logic.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2020, 09:02:40 PM »
I think it's just an easily "hoardable" item, and once people are in that mindset they don't stop and use logic.

People also like to feel in control.

Buying a bunch of TP for no practical benefit still gives them that feeling.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2020, 09:44:45 PM »
So this is how Demolition Man's 3 seashells is implemented... the great TP shortage of 2020.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2020, 02:17:31 AM »
So this is how Demolition Man's 3 seashells is implemented... the great TP shortage of 2020.
Love it. LOL

But seriously people, just consider a switch to cloth. After years of using my own homemade stuff (by which I mean an old towel cut up into squares) I splurged last year on a set from Cheeky Wipes. No connection to them other than being a satisfied customer. I heard of them because my sister got a set when she had her twins a couple of years ago and she heard of them because a good friend got them when she had a baby. When my set arrived there was damage to part of the container and they sent me a replacement part immediately. I think it took the owner less than an hour to reply to my email.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2020, 02:49:53 AM »
Love it. LOL

But seriously people, just consider a switch to cloth. After years of using my own homemade stuff (by which I mean an old towel cut up into squares) I splurged last year on a set from Cheeky Wipes. No connection to them other than being a satisfied customer. I heard of them because my sister got a set when she had her twins a couple of years ago and she heard of them because a good friend got them when she had a baby. When my set arrived there was damage to part of the container and they sent me a replacement part immediately. I think it took the owner less than an hour to reply to my email.

I think getting a bidet attachment and something like these reusable cloths to dry is the way to go.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2020, 08:17:13 AM »
I remember reading articles about rushes on toilet paper in other countries. This was back when the US only had around 12 identified CoV cases. I was a bit scared of the whole thing, but I went out and stocked up on some key items, not because I'm at high risk with this corona virus thing, but because people DO panic over these things, and I was more concerned about not being able to buy those things once people got crazy (and my concerns were well-founded when the next week marked the beginning of the craziness here in Colorado). My tp supply was already on the lean side, and I thought, "Well, at least this toilet paper will actually get used". So I bought a 30 pack. Nothing super giant, and definitely not multiple packs. I don't really pay attention to how much I use, but it isn't much. 30 rolls will last a very long time :)

However, I'm not the only person who thought this. If everyone is afraid of everyone else rushing on something, they are likely to buy some just-in-case, and as mentioned before, that just screws up the supply chain, as the demand suddenly outstrips the supply. It will probably level-off soon. I think the media, once again, is just highlighting the cases where some dude grabbed 3 or 4 costco packs, which is probably not the amount most people are buying. Reminds me of game theory, and one of those economics lessons about two criminals being incentivized the rat each other out. The disadvantage of not being able to buy tp far exceeds the disadvantage of looking like a moron. Something like that :D

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2020, 08:35:21 AM »
I don't think everyone *is* hoarding toilet paper.  You've got your handful of nutcases who probably are, but when the word gets out that people are hoarding toilet paper, everybody else goes, "hmm, I've only got a week's worth, better buy a pack," or "I guess I should grab an extra pack when I'm at the store, if it's going to be sold out."  And when all the "normal" people buy ONE pack of toilet paper that they weren't otherwise planning on buying, you suddenly have a situation that the supply chain was not prepared for. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »
There was literally no TP at any store I've stopped at in 4 days.  Costco, Home Depot, Trader Joe's, target, staples.

I decided to order some in bulk from Staples. We'll see if they actually have it and can deliver it.

If not, there are alternatives.  We probably have enough for #2, just not for the one female (me) if I'm stuck at home.
I was remembering the post-birth peri bottle option...and air dry.  I can make that happen.
Also "family cloth", if it comes to that.  (Or kula cloth).

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2020, 02:18:46 PM »
just came here to say it's...

for when the shit hits the fan.

But seriously, I'm with OP. I usually have 'what I'm using plus one'. When my ketchup is empty, I pull out the 'plus one', and put ketchup on the grocery list. I've also accidentally thought I was almost out of TP twice in the past so I have an overstock.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2020, 02:26:47 PM »
There was literally no TP at any store I've stopped at in 4 days.  Costco, Home Depot, Trader Joe's, target, staples.

I decided to order some in bulk from Staples. We'll see if they actually have it and can deliver it.

If not, there are alternatives.  We probably have enough for #2, just not for the one female (me) if I'm stuck at home.
I was remembering the post-birth peri bottle option...and air dry.  I can make that happen.
Also "family cloth", if it comes to that.  (Or kula cloth).

Good idea. I just ordered some from Staples too. They say it will be delivered tomorrow.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!