Author Topic: What is the deal with all of the PTF responses?  (Read 42145 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: What is the deal with all of the PTF responses?
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2017, 07:13:09 AM »
Mustachians are DIYers not all techy people and should figure stuff out on their own are helpful and encouraging to others who have less knowledge or different skills.

FTFY. Thanks for the explanation! I'll give it a go now.

I’m not a finance person, but I manage my own money, like most MMMers. Not sure it takes a tech person to sort out how to do stuff in a forum.

Sure, but I learned how to manage my money largely through helpful people with more knowledge and experience answering my questions and giving me advice, not through them saying "You should figure this out for yourself!"

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »
Couldn't resist getting in on the excitement! Do you suppose the OP has actually turned on email notifications for this thread? Because if not, they ought to in order experience first hand why PTF is far superior to notify in terms of forum usability.

I want the OP to be very angry.

Pushkina2

• Stubble
  • Proud Member of Prozac Nation
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »
PTF

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »
PTF. of course. OP should probably get a new account after this.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2017, 09:42:25 PM »
Did anyone ever explain what TLA means?   My vote:  Totally Lame Acronym

As in PTF is a TLA.

Still, PTF, cuz I don't take kindly to being told how to use the forum by someone who just got here.

Three Letter Acronym. TLA was widely used as as acronym at my megacorp. We even had a joke TLA file describing all the TLAs for the new hires.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »

Mustachians are DIYers and should figure stuff out on their own. However, here are the instructions:

On any page of the forums, there is a menu at the top with these options: Home, Help, Search, Profile, My Messages, Member, Logout.

Click the word Profile. (Yes, it's a drop-down menu, but it's also a button. Click it.)

You'll be taken to a page with a set of sub-menus: Profile Info, Modify Profile.

Hover over Modify Profile, and choose Notifications.

BOOKMARK/FAVORITE the Notifications page!

NOTE: I have a favorite called "MMM-N" (N for notifications) in my bookmarks/favorites bar. That's the favorite I use almost all the time. (I occasionally look at "Unread posts since last visit", too, as well as new posts in the Post-Fire forum. I almost never look at "New replies to your posts" because if I want to keep track of a thread I posted in, I used the Notify button on that thread, and then it shows up on my Notifications page.)

All you email complainers should probably choose these settings on the Notifications page at the top: 1) uncheck all the checkboxes, and 2) for this setting "For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me:" choose Weekly. (Then just delete the weekly email that shows up, or set up a rule to auto-delete it.)

On the Notifications page, just as on the "unread posts" and "new replies to your posts" pages, there is an orange NEW button next to threads that you should be clicking to see what's new on the threads you're following.

And of course, click the Notify button (near the Reply button) on any thread you want to appear on your notifications page. If you lose interest in a thread, click the Unnotify button.

When you want to visit the MMM forums, use the Notifications page as your starting point.

Dude, these instructions are awesome!  Although you are quite clear on your opinion that forum users should figure these things out for themselves, it never would have occurred to me to even look for something like this.  I like it...a lot.  So thanks for sharing.  You've improved my enjoyment of the forum. 

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »
OMG! I am SO PTFO... oh wait.. different thing.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2017, 06:58:25 PM »

Mustachians are DIYers and should figure stuff out on their own. However, here are the instructions:

On any page of the forums, there is a menu at the top with these options: Home, Help, Search, Profile, My Messages, Member, Logout.

Click the word Profile. (Yes, it's a drop-down menu, but it's also a button. Click it.)

You'll be taken to a page with a set of sub-menus: Profile Info, Modify Profile.

Hover over Modify Profile, and choose Notifications.

BOOKMARK/FAVORITE the Notifications page!

NOTE: I have a favorite called "MMM-N" (N for notifications) in my bookmarks/favorites bar. That's the favorite I use almost all the time. (I occasionally look at "Unread posts since last visit", too, as well as new posts in the Post-Fire forum. I almost never look at "New replies to your posts" because if I want to keep track of a thread I posted in, I used the Notify button on that thread, and then it shows up on my Notifications page.)

All you email complainers should probably choose these settings on the Notifications page at the top: 1) uncheck all the checkboxes, and 2) for this setting "For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me:" choose Weekly. (Then just delete the weekly email that shows up, or set up a rule to auto-delete it.)

On the Notifications page, just as on the "unread posts" and "new replies to your posts" pages, there is an orange NEW button next to threads that you should be clicking to see what's new on the threads you're following.

And of course, click the Notify button (near the Reply button) on any thread you want to appear on your notifications page. If you lose interest in a thread, click the Unnotify button.

When you want to visit the MMM forums, use the Notifications page as your starting point.

Dude, these instructions are awesome!  Although you are quite clear on your opinion that forum users should figure these things out for themselves, it never would have occurred to me to even look for something like this.  I like it...a lot.  So thanks for sharing.  You've improved my enjoyment of the forum.

Glad they help. Anything to avoid going to view new posts and seeing the dreaded PTF.

By the way, Mr and Mrs Macoconut share a login. All these posts were written by the gray-haired grandma Macoconut, not gray-haired grandpa Macoconut (so a dudette instead of a dude?). Kind of fun schooling the young folks on “tech” stuff. :D

chris5977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Keep calm and sail.
    • Social Media
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2018, 01:11:58 AM »
Thank you for the thoughtful responses. Why is the notification feature suboptimal? It works for me...

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »
Thank you for the thoughtful responses. Why is the notification feature suboptimal? It works for me...

Sometime you need to read the posts. You must not have gotten that far.

There are others reasons mentioned in the thread, but you might want to start slow. Try reading post #2.

Happy New Year!

chris5977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Keep calm and sail.
    • Social Media
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2018, 10:38:35 AM »
I did read #2 and it doesn't make any sense. I get the notification email, click on the link and it takes me to the thread...

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2018, 10:55:36 AM »
I did read #2 and it doesn't make any sense. I get the notification email, click on the link and it takes me to the thread...

Wait, is post #2 mine, or Primm's?

If post 2 is mine, I was just responding to your hillariously imperious post with a little hillarioty of my own.

chris5977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Keep calm and sail.
    • Social Media
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »
It was faux imperialism intended to spark a conversation. Thanks for taking the bait.

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2018, 11:36:53 AM »
It was faux imperialism intended to spark a conversation. Thanks for taking the bait.

did your FB page receive the click bait you were intending?

chris5977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Keep calm and sail.
    • Social Media
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »
Why would I want traffic on my Facebook page? I'm just a regular dude. I'm not trying to sell anything. I sincerely want want this forum not to suck copious amounts off ass. Because with the majority of the comments being junk it's miserable.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »
Why would I want traffic on my Facebook page? I'm just a regular dude. I'm not trying to sell anything. I sincerely want want this forum not to suck copious amounts off ass. Because with the majority of the comments being junk it's miserable.
I've been wondering about this since the beginning of the thread. WTF? Are you reading some other forum and mistaking it for this one? If you really think the majority of the comments here are "junk", you should really and truly look elsewhere.

chris5977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Keep calm and sail.
    • Social Media
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »
The majority of the comments are "following" and ptf which  are junk. I wouldn't have bothered to say anything if I didn't find value in the real comments.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2018, 05:11:06 PM »
PTF

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
PTF

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »
You can also reply to a thread with PTF (or anything) and then delete your post. It will still show up on your show new replies to your posts page, even after your post is deleted.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »
You can also reply to a thread with PTF (or anything) and then delete your post. It will still show up on your show new replies to your posts page, even after your post is deleted.

But then there’s no way to ever unfollow a thread. That’s why notify/unnotify rules.

chris5977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Keep calm and sail.
    • Social Media
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2018, 07:22:06 PM »
In the email you there is a choice for "unsubscribe from this post." It works...

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2018, 04:36:49 AM »
With OP catastrophising and buying into the discussion, we might get this sucker up to page 4 or even 5. Even the famous test thread only got up to 3 https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/test/msg1123520/#msg1123520. Unless of course folks would like to PTF there and see how far we can go.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2018, 05:17:56 AM »
If you think this forum sucks so much because of some PTF's then there is a method of avoiding it...

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2018, 06:36:05 AM »
I've been wondering about this since the beginning of the thread. WTF? Are you reading some other forum and mistaking it for this one? If you really think the majority of the comments here are "junk", you should really and truly look elsewhere.

I too wonder which forum OP is on...or even what thread? Even with the long-running "episodes" on here, I don't see (m)any "PTF" responses". They're pretty rare, and my brain filters them out regardless. Just seems like an incredibly petty thing to get worked up over regardless.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
I stand corrected.  While there is no last post button, a new button will appear when new posts are available to you.  I could not see this in my testing as I was all caught up on my threads.  Thank you Macoconut.

Ditto - I also have not seen the "NEW" yet, but if that shows up, I can convert to using Notifications, as there are some definite advantages. Also, the information from @macoconut on how to use the post... sure it's good. The post that said "replies are idiotic" or the initial thread basically mocking people for how they're using this form - that's reprehensible, in my opinion. Use your discretion in interacting with other humans. The UI is half-decent at best. The way everyone gravitated to using the software is a result of the UI more than anything else. Educate freely, but criticize sparingly. (Especially in a "best of" thread. This off-topic tangent is very nearly the "worst-of".)

I agree, we are taking this thread off topic.  Let's move the discussion here:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what-is-the-deal-with-all-of-the-ptf-responses/

I may not agree with the way @macoconut worded his responses/comments, but when dealing with people I find it's best to take the best, leave the rest.  You cannot change other people, only your reaction and response to them.

LOL! Remember what forum you’re on. Facepunch! :D

Eckhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2018, 10:02:28 AM »
How to use the notify button

How do you set up your notify threads so that you click to the last read message of the thread?

I do not think this is possible as far as I can tell.

Notify function vs PTF (show new replies to your posts) both have pros and cons.

The only advantage to PTF is that many people use it, and it has become somewhat of a de facto standard on the MMM forums. There is no other advantage.

Click the orange NEW button on a thread to be taken to the first unread post of a thread. The orange new button is present on every page (notifications, unread posts since last visit, new replies to your posts, etc).

The orange NEW button IS a button, and is clickable. It’s not just a flag.

I stand corrected.  While there is no last post button, a new button will appear when new posts are available to you.  I could not see this in my testing as I was all caught up on my threads.  Thank you Macoconut.

I am a convert to notify and like the fact that you can follow or unfollow (notify/unnotify) a thread at any point. 

Another advantage, if I find a thread with good info but doesn't get posted to often, I can notify then always have a "bookmark" of the thread.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »

This isn't true. In fact, deleting your post is a great way to unfollow a thread.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »
We must have different definitions of junk, @chris5977.

I find a lot of unsolicited emails in my inbox to be junk far more than a few PTF posts in some thread that I can easily scroll over.

But I'm a live and let live kind of person, so PTF posts aren't something I get worked up over.

I appreciate the feedback about notify that @macoconut posted, but haven't bothered to try to implement it...I guess because PTF posts don't really bother me too much.

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2018, 02:48:54 PM »
I'm actually really grateful I stumbled upon the explanation of how to find (and bookmark) the list of notified posts. I had wondered before at how to unfollow topics I'm no longer interested in, and this works great. Plus it's a good way to be able to find posts I'm interested in even if there's nothing new. I wish the UI was set up so there was a link from the main page (like there is for new replies to your posts) but the bookmark works almost as well. I've never been all that bothered by PTF but I'm glad I stumbled into this conversation since it's going to improve my own forum experience.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2018, 03:29:49 PM »

This isn't true. In fact, deleting your post is a great way to unfollow a thread.
I read somewhere that it worked, but never tried it. Thanks for setting me straight!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2018, 04:07:36 AM »
One advantage of PTF is that it lets the OP know you are intending to read their thread and interested in what they have to say and any ongoing discussion.  Think of it as an alternate "like" button.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2018, 04:20:23 AM »
One advantage of PTF is that it lets the OP know you are intending to read their thread and interested in what they have to say and any ongoing discussion.  Think of it as an alternate "like" button.

Or a way of saying "I'm reading your journal/ thread". Otherwise it's a bit stalker-like.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2018, 05:35:29 AM »
The orange NEW button IS a button, and is clickable. It’s not just a flag.
I was not previously aware of this and it is my new favourite thing. Thanks!

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
Personally I receive and want to receive no emails from the forums after my initial sign up.  When I get a chance to log back in after a day, week or month, I use the show new replies functionality to catch back up.   

Be happy to use notify if it worked with the new reply/post button, but seems like notify does not offer that.

MoneyStacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »
Lighten up, Francis.

LMAO. Funniest response ever.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2018, 12:41:48 PM »
Amazing thread. So insightful. Oh ya...PTF!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2018, 12:57:38 PM »
Sure it was!  Mission accomplished.  You sparked a conversation about how thick-headed it is to take a dump in the middle of a forum you've just joined.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »
Sure it was!  Mission accomplished.  You sparked a conversation about how thick-headed it is to take a dump in the middle of a forum you've just joined.

*cough cough Date Registered: 04 February 2016, 12:48:26 cough*

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »

PTF

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »

He may have registered in 2016, but he's only posted 21 times (as of when I just checked). I'd say that counts as ill mannered. Plus, the original post on this thread was pretty rude. He earned the scorn.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2018, 03:57:32 AM »

He may have registered in 2016, but he's only posted 21 times (as of when I just checked). I'd say that counts as ill mannered. Plus, the original post on this thread was pretty rude. He earned the scorn.

If only he had used PTF all these months, his post count would have been hgher. :P

No one has to “earn” the right to deliver deserved face punches on this forum.

The responses in this thread are some of the most un-mustachian ones I’ve read in the years I’ve been reading this forum...right up there with the Vitamix thread.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2018, 07:34:45 AM »

The responses in this thread are some of the most un-mustachian ones I’ve read in the years I’ve been reading this forum...right up there with the Vitamix thread.
I thought that one tenant of Mustachianism is facing and swallowing the truth, including some hard truths...

mubington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »
I always thought this was deliberate way to encourage more posting and less lurking

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2018, 07:43:45 AM »

I thought that one tenant of Mustachianism is facing and swallowing the truth, including some hard truths...

If there's only one tenant here, how do all these aspiring FIRE-ees have rental income?

PTF.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »

If only he had used PTF all these months, his post count would have been hgher. :P

Thank you for speaking the truth here, Macoconut.

I can't believe that people are actually resorting to postcount-plus-plus style attacks against someone for speaking the truth and hurting people's feelings because they've been called out for doing uncivilized, inappropriate and frankly bannable behaviors on most other forms.

I'm tired of tapdancing around the topic, doing read-between-the-lines posts, afraid of sounding like "that guy", potentially sounding ungrateful, and avoiding ruffling feathers because everyone's gotten so touchy and offend-able lately. I love you all, but it's time to own up to the fact that this community's forum posters are terrible, by extension it makes using the very forum they're in awful, and it's partly the fault of the moderators for not doing their entire jobs and letting this sort of terrible behavior slide for the past six years.

You want to know why the forum search function is broken? It's because of you.

You want to know why it's so hard to navigate and it takes so long to load new replies to your posts? It's because of you.

Yes, you.

The person who has nothing meaningful to contribute to a thread but empty quoting "+1"? You're the problem. You're a spammer.

The person who ignores properly utilizing the follow topic function and utilizes "PTF" in the thread you have no intent of actually contributing to but only want to read? You're the problem. You're a spammer.

The person who starts a journal to catalog the banalities of their life and thoughts instead of taking it to social media, and racks up multi-thousand post threads in a never-ending popularity contest cycle with others? You're the problem.

These behaviors are the reason why our forum is so broken and unusable.

This forum is insanely unique in a few specific ways, and frankly it needs to stop. We have no postcount limits for threads. We have no user account moderation. We have no community standard or expectation that when someone proceeds to start pounding on their keyboard to post in a thread, they should actually have something useful to say. We just let things slide. We are the problem.

Pete is throwing away ridiculous amounts of money to run the forum because the community he hosts is terrible, from the users to the moderators and everything in between.

You want this place to be more civilized? You want to improve the signal to noise ratio with all the posting? You want the forum to actually be responsive? First of all, stop spamming the forums.

I wonder how much tolerance there would be in the general community for this sort of +1/PTF nonsense there would be if our threads were hard-capped to 1000 messages. You'd want every post to be valuable gold and worth the time to read, wouldn't you?

Here's what really needs to happen: We need to stop ignoring standard forum etiquette if we want this place to stop sucking, and other forums have these policies in place for exactly this reason. We need to cap thread length at between 1000-2000 posts, and lock every currently active thread exceeding that postcount. We need to purge and delete every zero post count user on this forum older than three months that hasn't logged into their account past the first 24 hours of signing up. We need to delete the accounts (not the posts, just the accounts) of anyone permabanned or hasn't logged in for over, say, three years - unless the mods know they're coming back. We need to mark every post read older than 90 days on every active account left after this purge on a regular bases. We need to start discouraging and eventually banning all posts that don't actually contribute any real content to discussions, which means no more PTF and +1 nonsense.

Do this? And I guarantee you that these forums will greatly improve in usability and speed. Do these things in addition to these other things? We'll likely even get search functionality back, because that list basically makes this forum look like a cautionary tale on how not to manage an SMF forum and community. Maintain these practices, and Pete will be able to host the forums on a server that won't cost an arm and a leg just to get it to crawl along. Then he can take the money saved and start paying his moderation team to keep doing their nearly thankless job properly.

Hate me. Report me. Ignore me. I don't care. Things are deeply broken culturally here, and it needs fixed, or the place will simply become unusable for everyone, yourself included.

We are why we can't have nice things... but you don't have to keep adding to the entropy. Make yourselves useful and stop behaving like unruly children when someone has the audacity to point out that you're the reason your own precious toys are broken.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2018, 08:33:48 AM »

Thank you for speaking the truth here, Macoconut.

I can't believe that people are actually resorting to postcount-plus-plus style attacks against someone for speaking the truth and hurting people's feelings because they've been called out for doing uncivilized, inappropriate and frankly bannable behaviors on most other forms.

I'm tired of tapdancing around the topic, doing read-between-the-lines posts, afraid of sounding like "that guy", potentially sounding ungrateful, and avoiding ruffling feathers because everyone's gotten so touchy and offend-able lately. I love you all, but it's time to own up to the fact that this community's forum posters are terrible, by extension it makes using the very forum they're in awful, and it's partly the fault of the moderators for not doing their entire jobs and letting this sort of terrible behavior slide for the past six years.

You want to know why the forum search function is broken? It's because of you.

You want to know why it's so hard to navigate and it takes so long to load new replies to your posts? It's because of you.

Yes, you.

The person who has nothing meaningful to contribute to a thread but empty quoting "+1"? You're the problem. You're a spammer.

The person who ignores properly utilizing the follow topic function and utilizes "PTF" in the thread you have no intent of actually contributing to but only want to read? You're the problem. You're a spammer.

The person who starts a journal to catalog the banalities of their life and thoughts instead of taking it to social media, and racks up multi-thousand post threads in a never-ending popularity contest cycle with others? You're the problem.

These behaviors are the reason why our forum is so broken and unusable.

This forum is insanely unique in a few specific ways, and frankly it needs to stop. We have no postcount limits for threads. We have no user account moderation. We have no community standard or expectation that when someone proceeds to start pounding on their keyboard to post in a thread, they should actually have something useful to say. We just let things slide. We are the problem.

Pete is throwing away ridiculous amounts of money to run the forum because the community he hosts is terrible, from the users to the moderators and everything in between.

You want this place to be more civilized? You want to improve the signal to noise ratio with all the posting? You want the forum to actually be responsive? First of all, stop spamming the forums.

I wonder how much tolerance there would be in the general community for this sort of +1/PTF nonsense there would be if our threads were hard-capped to 1000 messages. You'd want every post to be valuable gold and worth the time to read, wouldn't you?

Here's what really needs to happen: We need to stop ignoring standard forum etiquette if we want this place to stop sucking, and other forums have these policies in place for exactly this reason. We need to cap thread length at between 1000-2000 posts, and lock every currently active thread exceeding that postcount. We need to purge and delete every zero post count user on this forum older than three months that hasn't logged into their account past the first 24 hours of signing up. We need to delete the accounts (not the posts, just the accounts) of anyone permabanned or hasn't logged in for over, say, three years - unless the mods know they're coming back. We need to mark every post read older than 90 days on every active account left after this purge on a regular bases. We need to start discouraging and eventually banning all posts that don't actually contribute any real content to discussions, which means no more PTF and +1 nonsense.

Do this? And I guarantee you that these forums will greatly improve in usability and speed. Do these things in addition to these other things? We'll likely even get search functionality back, because that list basically makes this forum look like a cautionary tale on how not to manage an SMF forum and community. Maintain these practices, and Pete will be able to host the forums on a server that won't cost an arm and a leg just to get it to crawl along. Then he can take the money saved and start paying his moderation team to keep doing their nearly thankless job properly.

Hate me. Report me. Ignore me. I don't care. Things are deeply broken culturally here, and it needs fixed, or the place will simply become unusable for everyone, yourself included.

We are why we can't have nice things... but you don't have to keep adding to the entropy. Make yourselves useful and stop behaving like unruly children when someone has the audacity to point out that you're the reason your own precious toys are broken.
+1/PTF

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2018, 08:39:38 AM »

I agree with everything you just said (well, 1000 post limit sounds really high to me. Most threads stop being original / useful after 100 posts).

By all means call people out for the "postcount-plus-plus style attacks". That is terrible behavior. But my problem with the rest of your post (and chris' tone in the beginning of this thread) is that you are blaming all of the users for poor etiquette  / lack of knowledge, when the primary fault for that lies in the forum FAQ / rules. I have been a member of the forums for years, and this is the first that I've learned that the "New" button is actually a button and not just a flag, for example.

If I go right now to the Forum Information & FAQs section and look at the stickies, there is nothing in the Rules about no "+1" responses. If I read the FAQ, there is no answer for how to follow threads that interest you. If I read the "Show unread replies missing" thread, which only happens to be near the top because it's recent, we get linked back to this exchange:

Along the same lines is there an option to follow a thread without having to comment on it?
No (which is why many people just post a one word "following" reply).

If we want people to abide by these or any rules, the first step must be to state in an official capacity that they are rules and make the information of "how to do this" discoverable in a central location. This thread is not going to cut it by itself. Then and only then can we start getting annoyed at people who use poor forum etiquette or are not following the rules.

You in particular Daley are well trusted and very knowledgeable about tech stuff, so I recommend that you go talk to the mods and tell them what they need to change.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:48:20 AM by sherr »