Author Topic: What is everyones travel/vacation budget per year?  (Read 32870 times)

EXLIer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What is everyones travel/vacation budget per year?
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:56 AM »
We're lucky as we never pay for hotels and or meals.  We stay at family's house while visiting domestically, and we have our own house in Europe we stay in while my relatives always provide meals for us. 

We most certainly wouldn't travel as much if lodging and meals were a factor.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »
People in this thread spend an astounding amount of money on travel each year.

Now that the mortgage is paid, it is the second largest item on my budget after retirement investing.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2016, 07:04:19 AM »

Because travel rocks, and is worth every penny.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2016, 07:54:26 AM »

It's the money I save by not having cable :)

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »
My only other bills are utilities, taxes, home upkeep and general living expenses.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
Average about $5k
Median about $3k

I made a histogram of the results.  Best I could estimate on some of them.

What is your definition of astounding?

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2016, 12:05:50 PM »
$250 a month, so $3,000 a year. We take lots of small weekend trips instead of the big international trips(mainly due to having a preschool aged child).

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2016, 12:15:40 PM »
I was budgeting like $30/mo for the two annual camping trips (one is a week-long reenactment with a $120 camp space rental fee) and then figuring all spending I did at the reenactment had to come from my regular spending money.

My husband's budget apparently had him putting everything he spends while we're there as "vacation" expenses (craft suppies? vacation. pottery? vacation. archery gear? vacation) instead of trying to track all the cash he spends and divide it into categories. Now that we have a combined budget, it's set at $100/mo, but I don't know how exactly that'll work out when we go next.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »

Now that the mortgage is paid, it is the second largest item on my budget after retirement investing.

I was going to say ditto but then realized Saving > Taxes > Travel > everything else  although due to a recent increase in HOA dues that one's competing with travel.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 05:44:40 AM »
Average about $5k
Median about $3k

I made a histogram of the results.  Best I could estimate on some of them.

What is your definition of astounding?
Cool! I also assume people who have an SO and/or kids are including them in the budget and it's not per person. My travel spending is just for me so may be much higher than a family with seemingly larger expenses. Of course mine is for months at a time rather than weeks so that makes a huge difference. Probably need a per person per day expense breakdown. But really doesn't matter 'cause....travel!

Yes - ours is $100/month per person budgeted. $500/month total. Kids are expensive! :-)

aprilchem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 06:04:12 AM »
Family of 5, gross income about $200k, our travel budget is about $10k per year.  We don't spend that every year, though - I'd say we alternate between 5K/15K because we do a "big" trip every other year.  Last year it was Hawaii, next year it's Japan.  This year we'll just do local trips & such.

And yes, it's a large line item in my budget.  I'm willing to cut in other places to give my children the experience of visiting other places.  As a college professor I see many young adults who have never been outside their local area, and I think those kids are at a disadvantage over those who have seen the world.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 06:11:08 AM »
Family of 6, with a gross income of 215k. We budget about 10k, for one or two big trips per year. This year it's the very unmustachian WDW. But, we are totally spoiled with several family vacation homes, (parents, grandparents) that we frequent, paying just our gas to get there and food costs. We love these trips just as much, to the beach, mountains and two lakes.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 06:57:57 AM »
I think it would be interesting to understand the different drivers people have for recreational travel.   Many are family visits.  Others just need to get away and camping works fine - no need to go far for most of us to experience amazing nature. Others are dazzled by locations or experiences which seem exotic compared to their own home lives.  It's this last category which is dangerous because it can be costly and, at the end of the day, you are just going to where someone else lives!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 07:07:27 AM »
I usually only travel 2 months out of the year day trips mainly when we get third paychecks in a calendar year.  So about $700 since I usually like to take the train go up shop a bit in maybe Baltimore New York or Philadelphia since I adore farmers markets and return home the same day. That amount is usually less when I catch a special and I don't spend $300 per trip.

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 07:17:42 AM »
Family of 5, gross income about $200k, our travel budget is about $10k per year.  We don't spend that every year, though - I'd say we alternate between 5K/15K because we do a "big" trip every other year.  Last year it was Hawaii, next year it's Japan.  This year we'll just do local trips & such.

And yes, it's a large line item in my budget.  I'm willing to cut in other places to give my children the experience of visiting other places.  As a college professor I see many young adults who have never been outside their local area, and I think those kids are at a disadvantage over those who have seen the world.

Kids that have seen the world before college? Do you realize how elitist that sounds? You may "cut" in places in order to have a 10k travel budget - but with your income it's not hard. The majority of parents in this country feel lucky to be able to take their kids on a road trip or camping and I'm sure their kids will turn out just fine.

We spend about 5k per year split up into a few trips. These are road trips to visit family or renting a house on the beach.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
We budget for 1,950$ but, when my spouse is not looking, I secretly buy some sweet sweet VXC.

Hmmmmm... international exposure at it's best.

I disagree with whomever said kids need to see other countries before college... PFFT. Going back one generation, nobody but the child of the very rich went anywhere international for their vacations. Most of them turned out fine.

It is also possible to seep some culture just by doing stuff in your own part of the country.

chubbybunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2016, 09:30:44 AM »
Apparently 1/3 of my spending last month was for travel.  LOL  I guess that's a lot?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2016, 10:18:37 AM »

Kids that have seen the world before college? Do you realize how elitist that sounds? You may "cut" in places in order to have a 10k travel budget - but with your income it's not hard. The majority of parents in this country feel lucky to be able to take their kids on a road trip or camping and I'm sure their kids will turn out just fine.

We spend about 5k per year split up into a few trips. These are road trips to visit family or renting a house on the beach.
I'd never traveled much before college.  I grew up in PA (rural).  When I was 7, we drove to NC to visit an uncle for a week.
The week after I graduated HS, my sister took me on a weekend "vacation" to stay with a friend in OH (she had a pool!)

My first ever plane trip was when I was a freshman in college, 18, with ROTC - all the way to GA.

I think I turned out just fine.

Oh, my mom made $9000 a year in income back then. 

ransom132

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2016, 11:08:54 AM »
We budget for 1,950$ but, when my spouse is not looking, I secretly buy some sweet sweet VXC.

Hmmmmm... international exposure at it's best.

I wish there was a "Like" button.

aprilchem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »

I'd never traveled much before college.  I grew up in PA (rural).  When I was 7, we drove to NC to visit an uncle for a week.
The week after I graduated HS, my sister took me on a weekend "vacation" to stay with a friend in OH (she had a pool!)

My first ever plane trip was when I was a freshman in college, 18, with ROTC - all the way to GA.

Fair enough.  I also grew up in poverty and didn't go on a plane until I was 20, and I turned out just fine as well. But I do believe I, personally,  was at a disadvantage in college and graduate school over my peers who were more worldly. And I do see a difference in my students between those who have experienced other cultures and those who haven't.   My current institution has a $60k yearly price tag, so I'm doubting these students aren't traveling for the same reasons I didn't as a kid.

I'm certainly not asking anyone to agree with me, I've simply structured my life (and our finances) to include these experiences for us.  I don't really see that as being elitist, and I don't think travel is imperative to success in life.  But I do think it's helpful.

POINTS of ER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "Save hard, travel far!"
    • Points of Early Retirement
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2016, 03:18:21 AM »
My significant other and I budget $300 a month for travel expenses. We contribute $150 each into what we call a "Guilt-Free Travel Savings". All funds allocated here go all towards nothing but travel expenses: food, lodging, flights, and activities. We never spend more than what's in this savings as well. We travel quite frequently. Flying at least 1 international trip each year and multiple domestic travel during holidays or just weekend getaways. We are capable of doing it cheap because we're avid travel hackers/credit card churners. Some of our travels which includes hotel, flights, and ground transportation can be as cheap as $35 TOTAL for the both of us. Only other costs we have to worry about is simply food and activities.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:37:51 AM by POINTS of ER »

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2016, 03:47:52 AM »
Me and my girlfriend (total income ca 250k) traveling mostly together but not always spend about 7-8k per year on travel related expenses. Most years it's one long trip far away, one long trip within Europe, 1-3 mini trips (2-4 days) and 2-3 family visits (2 h flight for me).

bkmnky72

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2016, 05:47:24 AM »
$170K+ HHI, no kids.  $2,400 budgeted for this year.  We have stashed about 5 hotel nights and 1 airfare, so hopefully that would help.  Our spending last year was about 2x+ that.  My extended family wants to do a big international trip towards the holidays, so that will definitely blow that budget. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2016, 05:52:25 AM »

That's what I was thinking.

I guess though most people spending so much on travel make like 3x or more what our household income is, so it's easier to spend $10k+ on travel...

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2016, 06:08:37 AM »
I'm looking to seriously cut back this year. Went to patagonia last winter and new zealand this winter. There was another trip in August to the sierra that was supposed to be cheap but my rental car got trapped behind a forest fire and I had to pay a fortune to get it out. the car was great for drving around on my own but next time I'll take a bus to the eastern side.

I know people can find cheap flights but our dates are always set in stone and I personally prefer to pay more for flights that don't involve four connections it's just too easy to get left stranded. I think we will stick to short local road trips and hiking trips.

I spent more last year on travel than rent, and my rent isn't cheap!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2016, 07:25:24 AM »
Travel is mostly a luxury, no doubt about that. If our financial situation were to seriously deteriorate long distance travel would be the first thing to scale back.

For us travel is mostly a way to enjoy life to the fullest. We live in a modest two bedroom apartment downtown, have no kids and own no car, but we do have high incomes (ca 14,000 $/month after taxes, pension fund etc.) and 5-7 weeks of vacation every year.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2016, 08:02:21 AM »
Family income of about 135K.  Low cost of living area, one child.

I'd guesstimate maybe 5 or 6K on travel this year.  We are going on a cruise in a few weeks (I know, probably not very "mustachian" but I love cruising).  We got a great deal on NCL, child sails free and our balcony cabin was only $2,100 before gratuities. 

We are also hoping to visit a national park this summer, probably Rocky Mountain again because flights to Denver are usually cheap. 

My wife is not big on travel.  I go back country packing by myself in Michigan which costs me virtually nothing.  Also, I travel for work nationally so I sometimes tack on a day or two of vacation and try to see a national park or see some sites - as cheaply as I possibly can.  To keep this cheap I use Hotwire (booking hotels that offer free breakfast can be a great deal if you pocket a few apples and snacks to also supply your lunch).

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2016, 08:03:42 AM »
About $2500-$3000 per year. Two adults no kids. ($5000 for someplace really special but that is rare.)

We want to see as much of this world and the people there as we can. There will come a time when we won't be able to travel as easily...

Don't wait until you are "retired" to do the things that you want to do.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2016, 09:10:52 AM »
I take one major vacation every two years.  Less about money, more about the fact that it's impossible for me to get away from work for two weeks, and I think two weeks is necessary to justify the cost and literal, physical pain associated with travel (airplanes and airport layovers are the worst).  We tend to spend around $5k-6k on such vacations.  In the years my spouse and I have been together, we've done three such trips.

freeat57

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2016, 03:06:08 PM »
I never realized it before but we don't have a travel budget. We just make frugal travel choices. I churn about a dozen credit cards for sign-up bonuses and miles, so travel and lodging is often free (free + booking fees), but our largest travel expense is having to pay for boarding for our pets. I have yet to figure out a good way to frugalize overnight pet boarding.

For many years, I had a greenhouse full of orchids, almost like having pets.  Fortunately I had a friend who also had a greenhouse.  We traded off greenhouse sitting duty for travel.  (Really necessary in the winter!) It worked out really well, because we tended to travel about the same amount each year, but on a different schedule.  You could find a fellow pet owner, or even start an informal pet sitting exchange among several friends.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2016, 10:36:17 PM »
$14000.  By far our highest line item in budget.

risky4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2016, 11:11:59 PM »
     We use 10K for the travel budget. That's usually a minor(domestic quickie) trip and a major(foreign country). Wife loves traveling more than I so she takes trips more often than I and I stay and take care of the house and fuzzball.
     Since I have quit working full time, I just don't have the need to disconnect that I used to have when performing a stressful job. Another factor is we are in the interior of Alaska and it's really a good idea to get out during the dark, cold months. Our airfare, even to Australia or Italy, are usually purchased with travel mile rewards so the main expense is hotels and dining. It's one of our largest budget items but it's is an easy budget item to adjust if times require tightening the belt a tad.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »
For the last few years, while we lived in Europe, it was insane. We don't really track spending by category, nor do we budget in the traditional sense, but I estimate it was probably $12-15k/yr.  (We went to 32 countries, some of them multiple times, in 3 years, so we really did travel a *lot*.)  Now that will probably go down to about $1800-$3000, which will consist of one trip back to the States from Asia every other year and some local travel (train fare and lodgings), plus perhaps another plane ticket Stateside for me if I accompany DH to the States or elsewhere when he travels for work.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2016, 07:36:52 AM »
This year we are going on

1. A spring break drive to Kentucky / Indiana, approx $1,500
2.  A long weekend at Madeline Island, camping, probably $500
3.  A few camping weekends, about $300 - $500 each.

That will put us around $5,000, which is about 4% of our household annual income.  We are putting a hitch on our van and buying a 5-bike trailer this year.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »
As a child our family would drive to visit and stay with relatives several times a year.  I went on two actual 'go somewhere far away vacations' during my entire childhood . . . We spent a week in Puerto Vallarta when I was 13, and we spent a two weeks driving around the east coast of Canada (Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia) when I was 16.

I'm incredibly grateful that my parents did not instill a love of travel in me, or normalize travel spending.  Apparently this gift has saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars every year.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »
About $2500/year for me- single, ~$60k income. Last year, this amount included a week visiting my brother in California (did some hiking and some nice restaurants but a lot of it was just hanging out with him), a 10-day fishing trip in Canada, and a few 3-day weekend trips a few hours away.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »
What's a vacation? I vaguely recall  taking my kids to DisneyWorld back in 2001.
Since then, no vacation, went to see my mother, which was 4 to 7 days off.
But that was not a vacation, guess it was for the kids.
This year I will start a permanent vacation, I'm 61 and I am ready.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2016, 05:44:33 PM »
Relatives have a lake house, so spending time on the lake with family is my once a year big event vacation. Costs a few hundred in gas+food to spend a couple weeks skiing and imbibing. Aside from that having a boat is a vacation on the water every weekend in the warmer months for about $100/mo operating cost. So a few weeks on the lake plus every weekend in the warm months costs me $150/mo. Add another $100/mo if I amortize the cost of the boat over how long I've owned it. So somewhere between $50/mo and $250/mo and decreasing every year?

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2016, 05:59:35 PM »
It's about 20% of our annual spending.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2016, 06:16:12 PM »
As a child our family would drive to visit and stay with relatives several times a year.  I went on two actual 'go somewhere far away vacations' during my entire childhood . . . We spent a week in Puerto Vallarta when I was 13, and we spent a two weeks driving around the east coast of Canada (Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia) when I was 16.

I'm incredibly grateful that my parents did not instill a love of travel in me, or normalize travel spending.  Apparently this gift has saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars every year.

I don't think your parents necessarily deserve credit.  As a kid, we went to see grandparents every couple of years.  That was it, until I was about 11, when we did go on a Mexican cruise.  My parents started traveling later (when I was in college), but even then, they mostly preferred to go to the same places over and over. 

So my travel bug is all my own, not something inherited. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »
A lot, but really about 5% of my annual income. I hit my savings goals, and after mortgage, travel is pretty much my largest expense. I have family in Europe and am trying to take the kids every-other-year to keep them connected because they are third generation. I love to travel and get itchy feet. I usually have one BIG trip per year w/ the kids (sometimes every-other-year) and a smaller get away w/ them that might be 2 nights at the beach, 5 days or so in the winter with BF to tropics most years, and a couple weekend get a ways. It is a big morale booster for me. I don't want to camp or sleep bad or deal with anything on most vacations -  I need some recovery time and laying on the beach and having someone bring me food and adult beverages helps * a lot*. I don't shop for a hobby. I don't busy expensive tools or car parts for a hobby. I don't eat out extravagantly. I don't buy jewelry. I don't buy expensive handbags or shoes. I don't pay hundred of dollars to get my hair colored. I keep my heat turned down in the winter. I do buy travel.

My job is so stressful and I am lucky enough to have fairly generous leave and a 4-day AWS so I can swing long weekends a few times per year. Desperately in need of an escape right now as a matter of fact....

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2016, 07:06:36 AM »
I go on holiday every 2 years and total costs around £800.  This year I am going to Corfu, to lie on a beach and wander around the Grecian ruins, on my own.  While I do have debt, I need these breaks.  I tend to stay at home for the other 3 weeks per year, and it's only about 0.3% of my gross annual income, so I am not sweating about it.  I'm sooo looking forward to August!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2016, 12:44:57 PM »

Fair enough.  I also grew up in poverty and didn't go on a plane until I was 20, and I turned out just fine as well. But I do believe I, personally,  was at a disadvantage in college and graduate school over my peers who were more worldly. And I do see a difference in my students between those who have experienced other cultures and those who haven't.   My current institution has a $60k yearly price tag, so I'm doubting these students aren't traveling for the same reasons I didn't as a kid.

I'm certainly not asking anyone to agree with me, I've simply structured my life (and our finances) to include these experiences for us.  I don't really see that as being elitist, and I don't think travel is imperative to success in life.  But I do think it's helpful.
I almost feel like not being worldly was to my advantage in college.

I attended a college that is now $60k, so it was one of the most expensive colleges when I attended.  I had a fair # of classmates who were wealthy.

They had computers (back when it wasn't a thing, most people used the computer labs), cars (there were very few parking spaces on campus for students, maybe only 10), vacations and trips, etc.

What they didn't have was fire and grit.  One of these boys said to me, just before graduation - "Doesn't it suck that we are all going to be making at least $38k and you will be making half that in the military?"  Honestly, I said "man, I'm just lucky to be here and to get this opportunity".  Sure, some of those rich kids are fine - like the guy who was #2 and went on to medical school.  This guy was a C- student, so him?  Not so much.  He was already jaded and entitled at 22. 

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2016, 10:49:51 PM »
Asking someone their budget of anything is like asking someone what brand of underwear they wear.

We spend 10% of annual budget on travel.  Hanes.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2016, 11:26:13 PM »
Asking someone their budget of anything is like asking someone what brand of underwear they wear.

We spend 10% of annual budget on travel.  Hanes.

I don't go on vacations. Conclude from that what you will.

Spoiler: show
Not actually true. In reality, I believe I've spent an amortized ~ $1000/year over the last 5 years, with one major international trip.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2016, 04:22:17 AM »
We don't have a travel budget.

We have a savings and investment budget.

Once the bills are paid and the savings and investment budget is filled, we spend what's left without tracking it. :)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2016, 01:14:51 PM »
Travel is one of my great loves and biggest indulgences, but recently, I've done my best to minimize cost for the sake of long-term prosperity.

Primary challenge: DW is Argentinian and something unforgettable (family wedding, etc) has come up at least once a year since we got together 5 years ago. We would like to dial it back to every 2 years or even less, and just take longer trips to compensate. Now that the last sibling is getting married, we may actually pull it off. We paid for next month's trip months ago, ~$3500 for the 2 of us. Once we're there we spend less than we would at home, staying at her mom's house and mostly eating in. In 1-2 years we both plan to go part-time, so we should be able to implement our plan (and spend less on tickets via more flexible travel dates).

Other than that, we don't spend much. Both went to DC for a 3-day weekend, stayed with friends, etc, total cost ~$600. Might do one more similar trip this year, TBD.

So, out of $140k gross (and rising) we're blowing 5-6k total. Could be worse.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2016, 11:28:25 AM »
Fellow TO'er here was thinking the exact same thing.

Maybe if my family or my GF family was in another province/country, as is everyone is within 1hr of us which is super convenient.

As for travel... don't care and don't budget for it.  We'll go here and there... nothing too extravagant.  Won't be like a $10-20k trip or anything... we both are in agreement we don't really care to "see the world".  Canada, heck even Ontario is nice enough with enough nature for our lifetime.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2019, 05:27:17 PM »
We budget $2,500 per year, but we are spending $5K this year which includes traveling to Puerta Vallarta for a wedding this month.  We had a bunch of excess rolling over from last year, so we shouldn't bust the budget too badly.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »
We generally spend around $9,500/year, but to be fair, that gets us a LOT of travel - we typically go to Asia in the winter, Europe in the summer, and maybe five or six other shorter trips around Canada and the US. Meh. It's a lot, but we still save 60-70% and will be retired by 35, so we don't really care.