Author Topic: What if there is no money to save?  (Read 61647 times)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What if there is no money to save?
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:11 PM »
Once again, the statement that you must either spend all of your money or you are a hobo.  This thread will never end.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2015, 09:51:44 PM »
With all this in mind please just find a happy balance people!
My family comes from a culture that is generally taught to save, but damn it sometimes you have to live a little. With that being said I don't think I need to buy 4 purses in one month because I didn't buy much during the rest of the [earlier] year, a lesson I plan on not repeating this year bc I would like to keep on trucking towards FIRE. Try and find a balance. I cook in more but I still eat out here and there. I still plan on traveling, but maybe I'll do more cruises since they're cheaper or drive somewhere since gas is [currently] cheap. I don't think you have to be a recluse. Do what works for you, which I believe will most likely be a balance of sorts. Thank you and good luck everyone!

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2015, 04:06:41 PM »
Wow, as someone who just read this entire post in 1 sitting, I feel like Sky High is ignoring everyone and maybe doesn't completely understand the MMM message even.  Sky High, you are picking and choosing the MMM lessons to bring into this thread while saying you agree with the whole MMM FIRE theory.  You clearly contradict MMM ideas many times.  Most notably is how you keep insisting on how a family needs to spend 50k+ to 'just get by' and people have repeatedly given great counter arguments as to how that's not true at all.  This is also what I mean about picking and choosing the MMM ideals you bring into this.  MMM has lived on ~25k/year for his family and has many many posts about how that allows him to absolutely enjoy living life.  Many others have also posted their experiences with this.  The only difference I see is that your article was for a family of 4, but MMM is a family of 3 and I doubt MMM's budget would jump up 15k if he added an extra kid into the mix.  Now if you want to argue that the article was for the average US family then YES! we agree they can't FIRE on that budget while earning the average american income, but that is also one of MMM's points!  That's basically the entire point of this blog: don't spend like the average american and you can FIRE even if you're on an average salary.  So, why are we even considering 50k+ spending for a family of 4?  Obviously you could spend 50k a year and you'd need a higher income to FIRE, but MMM is all about figuring out how you can spend LESS while still being HAPPY and also becoming FIRE'd if you so choose.

I just don't get how this argument is still happening...  MMM clearly is about leaving the average and doing something different to achieve non-average results!

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »
That's basically the entire point of this blog: don't spend like the average american and you can FIRE even if you're on an average salary.  So, why are we even considering 50k+ spending for a family of 4?  Obviously you could spend 50k a year and you'd need a higher income to FIRE, but MMM is all about figuring out how you can spend LESS while still being HAPPY and also becoming FIRE'd if you so choose.

I just don't get how this argument is still happening...  MMM clearly is about leaving the average and doing something different to achieve non-average results!

Best point in the thread :)