Author Topic: What I learned about myself, politics, and those on the other side.  (Read 22340 times)

Abe

• Magnum Stache
Re: What I learned about myself, politics, and those on the other side.
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2017, 11:35:22 PM »
That's a good way of assessing it. We clearly pay less taxes than most european countries and spend way more of it on defense/offense budget. Depending on your view of how useful that is, the services US citizens are getting is probably not in line relative to taxes paid compared to other nations.

One thought I had was: what if we look at a basic service, such as roads, and see what the cost would be for ourselves if it were not publicly funded. The costs of major toll highways in the US are anywhere from 10-50 cents per mile. Going with the low end, and the average per capita miles driven per year of 15,000, we get at least $1,500 a year if we paid tolls on all our driving. This is up to $7,500 on the high end. That's just for the privilege of driving on that road.

Anyone have other examples?

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads_in_the_United_States
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Beridian

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2017, 08:37:57 AM »
The original poster's comment about most politicians being scum really underscores what I cannot tolerate about conservatives and republicans; when it comes down to it they hate and distrust government.  But yet they want to be in government.  It would be like having a grade school teacher who despises children.  I certainly concede that government can be bad, but I also hope and aspire to having better government and a better fairer society.   I also firmly believe that many politicians are dedicated public servants who sincerely work for a better world.

So I could never see myself as conservative or republican, nor could I support a such a politician so long as their primary stance is to destroy government and usher in pure social Darwinism.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
The original poster's comment about most politicians being scum really underscores what I cannot tolerate about conservatives and republicans; when it comes down to it they hate and distrust government.  But yet they want to be in government.  It would be like having a grade school teacher who despises children.  I certainly concede that government can be bad, but I also hope and aspire to having better government and a better fairer society.   I also firmly believe that many politicians are dedicated public servants who sincerely work for a better world.

So I could never see myself as conservative or republican, nor could I support a such a politician so long as their primary stance is to destroy government and usher in pure social Darwinism.

I'm not a republican so I may be speaking for them incorrectly, but I think this is kind of a straw-man. All but the most fervent anarcho-libertarians believe there isn't 0 need for government.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:26:28 AM by prognastat »

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 11:24:31 AM »

I'm not a republican so I may be speaking for them incorrectly, but I think this is kind of a straw-man. All but the most fervent anarcho-libertarians belief there is 0 need for government.

I'd say that's about right. Government has its roles and uses, but as a large entity subject to porportionate inertia, it is difficult for the government (moreso at federal levels) to provide novel, innovative solutions to problems, to change it's approach, and is more difficult to provide more than a one-size-fits-all solution.
It also does not have market feedback mechanisms to give it a fix-or-die incentive to correct problems, nor is it easy to kill a malignant or obsolete government agency. 

So most republicans at thier core, think along the lines that the government is a absolute, last-ditch place to go for a solution, and should be reserved for when there are clear and intractable market failures. For example, few republicans are against fire departments. They may have an issue with the budget buying a new truck every year for a town of 800, but not with the fire department itself. Private or market solutions should be exhausted first, then the blunt, heavy hammer of a government solution should be considered.

And why do republicans insist on being in government? Well, you can't very well let those who can think of nothing other than government solutions paid for by higher taxes as the only way to solve a problem be in charge, now can you? (Of course, this is a straw man used against the left, but none the less.)

shenlong55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »
And why do republicans insist on being in government? Well, you can't very well let those who can think of nothing other than government solutions paid for by higher taxes as the only way to solve a problem be in charge, now can you? (Of course, this is a straw man used against the left, but none the less.)

Personally, if I felt the government was a poor tool for solving problems then I would be working in the private sector finding solutions to problems.  If I'm able to solve the problem through the private sector then why would anyone try to solve a problem that's already been solved and if not then at least someone else is working on it using different tools.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »

Personally, if I felt the government was a poor tool for solving problems then I would be working in the private sector finding solutions to problems.  If I'm able to solve the problem through the private sector then why would anyone try to solve a problem that's already been solved and if not then at least someone else is working on it using different tools.

It's not a poor tool. It's a tool that should be applied in some circumstances and not in others. There is disagreement on what those circumstances are, so those who want to keep the application of government to a minimum need a presence in the decision making to keep it from being applied in places that, in their opinion, it doesn't belong.

shenlong55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2017, 12:15:07 PM »

It's not a poor tool. It's a tool that should be applied in some circumstances and not in others. There is disagreement on what those circumstances are, so those who want to keep the application of government to a minimum need a presence in the decision making to keep it from being applied in places that, in their opinion, it doesn't belong.

Again, I think solving the problem before the government gets involved would be a better use of their time.  But that's just my opinion.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »
I'm curious, what's an expected income tax amount for someone making $100,000 per year in the USA? Pick a state (since I know state taxes vary). Also, how much would one expect to pay in healthcare insurance? I know it varies, but give me a number, you can include the caveats.

The reason I ask is b/c in Canada (Ontario), someone making $100,000 per year, maxes out RRSP and makes a few donations, pays about $16,000* in income tax. For that, we get health care paid for. I'm fine with paying that amount but wonder how much more it is than someone in the USA pays.

*it would be even less for those with kids or other deductibles

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2017, 01:45:54 PM »
I'm curious, what's an expected income tax amount for someone making $100,000 per year in the USA? Pick a state (since I know state taxes vary). Also, how much would one expect to pay in healthcare insurance? I know it varies, but give me a number, you can include the caveats.

The reason I ask is b/c in Canada (Ontario), someone making $100,000 per year, maxes out RRSP and makes a few donations, pays about $16,000* in income tax. For that, we get health care paid for. I'm fine with paying that amount but wonder how much more it is than someone in the USA pays.

It's even worse than you think - someone making $100k not only pays comparable income tax, but has to pay for health insurance IN ADDITION to the taxes we pay.  Cause you know, the insurance companies need to make a profit!

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »

Kinda hard to say. Here are the US tax tables:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/federal-income-tax-brackets/
Standard deduction for a single HOH payer is $9300, which you can use to reduce your taxable income down to $90,700.

Based on those brackets, your US federal income tax would be $18,713.75. Illinois now has a 4.95% income tax, so you'll be paying an additional $4950 to the state of Illinois (some of which will be taken out of your US federal income tax if you itemize deductions).

You will be paying an additional 7.65% FICA, which is a payroll tax used to fund SS and Medicare, so that'll be about $7650.

So, maybe a cool $30,000 in income and payroll taxes. I am seeing some odd numbers on healthcare costs, but KFF says average in Illinois is $1100 for a single person through your employer. If you buy an ACA silver plan in Illinois, Tribune says it will set you back $3576 a year.
If you choose to forego insurance, you will pay $2500 (2.5% of your income). It is obviously not intelligent to forego health insurance if your employer offers a plan. From what I hear, the IRS isn't actually enforcing this, though. 

This is for a single-filer.

Married filing jointly can claim a 12,600 standard deduction. FICA and state taxes are generally unaffected. US federal income tax would be $13,402.50, with state and FICA being unaffected by marriage status.
The average cost for a family healthcare plan comes out to $5700 per year per KFF
http://www.kff.org/health-costs/press-release/average-annual-workplace-family-health-premiums-rise-modest-3-to-18142-in-2016-more-workers-enroll-in-high-deductible-plans-with-savings-option-over-past-two-years/

Not quite sure how you're getting a 16% tax rate in le Canada, but I guess it is in large part depending on how much you contribute to your RRSP. That makes the numbers incomparable. US families can also contribute money tax-free to those accounts, but I have no idea how much you're contributing and it would be indelicate to ask such things! For the scenarios above, I am assuming US taxpayers that are contributing Zero to their tax-advantaged retirement accounts.
Are you including the Ontario provincial income taxes? From what I am seeing, Canadian provincial taxes are FAR higher than US income taxes. Ontario province tax is 13%?

Note: I no longer prepare my own income taxes, so I might be way off, particularly with deductions. I have a family member process them for me.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »

How much "more"???  $16,000 is much "less" than I had to pay on a little higher income last year.

Real world example from my 2016 tax forms:   With about $110,000 income, over 90% of it from wages, less than 10% from dividends, and deducting tax advantaged retirement investments of $6000, property tax deduction, health insurance deduction, flex spending deduction, single filing status, itemized (due to state income tax), and personal exemption, I paid about $29K in total fed, state, fica.

As far as health care, I have to pay <$1000 for the entire year and have a $100 yearly deductible.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:02:03 PM by GenXbiker »

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
That's a good way of assessing it. We clearly pay less taxes than most european countries and spend way more of it on defense/offense budget. Depending on your view of how useful that is, the services US citizens are getting is probably not in line relative to taxes paid compared to other nations.

One thought I had was: what if we look at a basic service, such as roads, and see what the cost would be for ourselves if it were not publicly funded. The costs of major toll highways in the US are anywhere from 10-50 cents per mile. Going with the low end, and the average per capita miles driven per year of 15,000, we get at least $1,500 a year if we paid tolls on all our driving. This is up to $7,500 on the high end. That's just for the privilege of driving on that road.

Anyone have other examples?

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads_in_the_United_States
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Libraries. My wife and I read 140-150 books per year together, mostly hardcover, most within a year or two of being published. The Newark Public Library says hardbacks are $27 a pop, while the average library in Maine gives $18, so that's $2,520 to $4,050 without factoring in property/facilities/maintenance, etc.

Sources:
http://www.npl.org/Pages/AboutLibrary/calculator/estimates.html
http://www.maine.gov/msl/services/calexplantion.htm

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2017, 07:13:56 AM »

How much "more"???  $16,000 is much "less" than I had to pay on a little higher income last year.

Real world example from my 2016 tax forms:   With about $110,000 income, over 90% of it from wages, less than 10% from dividends, and deducting tax advantaged retirement investments of $6000, property tax deduction, health insurance deduction, flex spending deduction, single filing status, itemized (due to state income tax), and personal exemption, I paid about $18,000 federal, $3600 state, $7600 FICA.  So, that's $29,200 total.

As far as health care, I have to pay $435 (pre-tax) for the entire year and have a $100 yearly deductible.

Effective July 1 of 2017, my state tax rate is 32% higher.  At that rate, last year's total taxes would have been over $30,000.

Are you guys hiring and where are you?!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
^ I know! I'm in Canada, and even I wanted that option! (I spend about $6k per year on health care.)

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2017, 09:04:48 AM »

As far as health care, I have to pay $435 (pre-tax) for the entire year and have a $100 yearly deductible.

Effective July 1 of 2017, my state tax rate is 32% higher.  At that rate, last year's total taxes would have been over $30,000.
Actually is under $40 every two weeks.  Ther are some co-pays also.

By the way, the deductible is for "in network healthcare," and that's the coverage for just me.  +1 and family premiums are much more than double.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:18:15 PM by GenXbiker »

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 09:43:04 AM »
^ I know! I'm in Canada, and even I wanted that option! (I spend about $6k per year on health care.)
Is that for a family?  I just checked, and the family premium for me would be just over $5000 for a year and deductible jumps to $200.  Employee only coverage is what keeps my premium much more reasonable.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:44:50 AM by GenXbiker »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
^ No, that's above the cost of premiums (insurance fees).

So insurance fees are $75/mo for one adult with $42k income and up, then pay directly for everything that's not insured (which in my family's case is most stuff, but we have third party coverage for the first $6k-$12k, then go as frugal as possible on the rest -DIY health care- then about $6k out of pocket. Right now exploring options to preempt a need for a $70k spend for services only available in the US.)

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2017, 01:57:32 PM »

Kinda hard to say. Here are the US tax tables:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/federal-income-tax-brackets/
Standard deduction for a single HOH payer is $9300, which you can use to reduce your taxable income down to $90,700.

Based on those brackets, your US federal income tax would be $18,713.75. Illinois now has a 4.95% income tax, so you'll be paying an additional $4950 to the state of Illinois (some of which will be taken out of your US federal income tax if you itemize deductions).

You will be paying an additional 7.65% FICA, which is a payroll tax used to fund SS and Medicare, so that'll be about $7650.

So, maybe a cool $30,000 in income and payroll taxes. I am seeing some odd numbers on healthcare costs, but KFF says average in Illinois is $1100 for a single person through your employer. If you buy an ACA silver plan in Illinois, Tribune says it will set you back $3576 a year.
If you choose to forego insurance, you will pay $2500 (2.5% of your income). It is obviously not intelligent to forego health insurance if your employer offers a plan. From what I hear, the IRS isn't actually enforcing this, though. 

This is for a single-filer.

Married filing jointly can claim a 12,600 standard deduction. FICA and state taxes are generally unaffected. US federal income tax would be $13,402.50, with state and FICA being unaffected by marriage status.
The average cost for a family healthcare plan comes out to $5700 per year per KFF
http://www.kff.org/health-costs/press-release/average-annual-workplace-family-health-premiums-rise-modest-3-to-18142-in-2016-more-workers-enroll-in-high-deductible-plans-with-savings-option-over-past-two-years/

Not quite sure how you're getting a 16% tax rate in le Canada, but I guess it is in large part depending on how much you contribute to your RRSP. That makes the numbers incomparable. US families can also contribute money tax-free to those accounts, but I have no idea how much you're contributing and it would be indelicate to ask such things! For the scenarios above, I am assuming US taxpayers that are contributing Zero to their tax-advantaged retirement accounts.
Are you including the Ontario provincial income taxes? From what I am seeing, Canadian provincial taxes are FAR higher than US income taxes. Ontario province tax is 13%?

Note: I no longer prepare my own income taxes, so I might be way off, particularly with deductions. I have a family member process them for me.

Let's assume with deductions, taxable income was reduced by a little more than $20k, down to less than $80,000 per year. By the way, anyone looking to jack me, this isn't necessarily me.

Yes, Ontario has 13% provincial tax....for anything over $220k. First $41k is ~5%, next about $41k is ~9%. So under this scenario, the total provincial tax would be less than 7% of the taxable income.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »

Real world example from my 2016 tax forms:   With about $110,000 income, over 90% of it from wages, less than 10% from dividends, and deducting tax advantaged retirement investments of $6000, property tax deduction, health insurance deduction, flex spending deduction, single filing status, itemized (due to state income tax), and personal exemption, I paid about $18,000 federal, $3600 state, $7600 FICA.  So, that's $29,200 total.

As far as health care, I have to pay $943 (pre-tax) for the entire year and have a $100 yearly deductible.

There's no way your premiums are &lt;$1000 for a $100 deductible. How much is your employer paying? That comes out of your salary, you have to count that too

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2017, 09:13:59 PM »

As far as health care, I have to pay $943 (pre-tax) for the entire year and have a $100 yearly deductible.

There's no way your premiums are &lt;$1000 for a $100 deductible. How much is your employer paying? That comes out of your salary, you have to count that too
Employer is paying me about $100,000 for a salary.  My salary gross pay and deductions are shown on each pay stub, which I double-checked earlier when posting, and along with the taxes mentioned above coming out of my salary, premiums very low, lower real cost due to being tax advantaged.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:17:00 PM by GenXbiker »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »

Employer is paying me about $100,000 for a salary.  My salary gross pay and deductions are shown on each pay stub, which I double-checked earlier when posting, and along with the taxes mentioned above coming out of my salary, the $36.28 premium comes out bi-weekly, but it's pre-tax, so my "effective" cost for the premium is $22.62 bi-weekly, which is $588/yr.  The deductible is indeed $100 for "in network" services per year, but there are some co-pays for some services as mentioned earlier.  I didn't even need to use the deductible or pay any co-pays last year.  So while still working, my health care / coverage costs are insignificant.
My post got cut off.

How much is your employer paying in premiums, in addition? That comes out of your salary, you have to count that too.

I pay zero in premiums, but my employer pays probably thousands. Making my salary lower by that amount

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
How much is your employer paying in premiums, in addition? That comes out of your salary, you have to count that too.
That's what I was trying to detail above.  I agreed upon a specific salary to accept the position, and if any additional was coming out of my salary for premiums beyond what I stated, I would see it in the breakdown on my paystub.  I know there are additional costs to my employer for my healthcare coverage, but those costs are not coming out of the salary I agreed to, only the amounts mentioned earlier.  I watch those things very closely.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:16:13 PM by GenXbiker »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2017, 06:03:02 AM »

Employer is paying me about $100,000 for a salary.  My salary gross pay and deductions are shown on each pay stub, which I double-checked earlier when posting, and along with the taxes mentioned above coming out of my salary, the $36.28 premium comes out bi-weekly, but it's pre-tax, so my "effective" cost for the premium is $22.62 bi-weekly, which is $588/yr.  The deductible is indeed $100 for "in network" services per year, but there are some co-pays for some services as mentioned earlier.  I didn't even need to use the deductible or pay any co-pays last year.  So while still working, my health care / coverage costs are insignificant.
That's what I was trying to detail above.  I agreed upon a specific salary to accept the position, and if any additional was coming out of my salary for premiums beyond what I stated, I would see it in the breakdown on my paystub.  I know there are additional costs to my employer for my healthcare coverage, but those costs are not coming out of the salary I agreed to, only the amounts mentioned earlier.  I watch those things very closely.

Well that was my point. If you agreed to a $100k salary, by your employer pays $5k in health insurance premiums, that's no different than getting a $105k salary and paying for insurance yourself.

That's why when you say "health insurance only cost me $943" it's not correct if (as I believe is the case) your employer pays thousands more in addition. That's still a "cost" to you, money you don't get. But you could have a claim to if your employer suddenly stopped covering you.
tl;dr: there's no free lunch

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2017, 07:14:52 AM »

Sorry about that, I had taken my bi-weekly $36.28 payment multiplied by a monthly rate of 12 instead of bi-weekly of 26.  For yearly premium cost, that should say $943 (pre-tax), which I corrected, effectively $588 real cost to me due to being tax advantaged.  I think it's still reasonable.  There's also a separate pharmacy deductible and co-pays also (like $10 for a tier one monthly prescription refill), $20 office visit (which co-pay and deductible doesn't apply to a wellness visit.)  I had one visit last year and wasn't charged anything.  The biggest surprise this summer was that there was no increase in our premiums this year (and all coverage remains the same.)

By the way, the deductible is for "in network healthcare," and that's the coverage for just me.  +1 and family premiums are much more than double.

I'm in Illinois (not near Chicago), but we actually cut positions lately and some work hours cut among staff.

How od I multi-quote...

I'm IL near Chicago. Your rates are definitely good. My wife's coverage+1 has a significantly higher deductible and a significantly higher premium cost. She's in the "eds and meds" sector, too...most people get a more bum deal than her.

You can get some pretty nice salaries out of the big cities, if you're an educated professional. My wife was originally making $120,000 with a health plan even better than yours and a 50% match on her 401k up to 12 percent, out in a small Wisconsin town.

Scandium,
Employer-side contributions are not part of your base salary. You cannot claim them on your salary if you choose to forego health-care coverage, for instance. I get paid $60k/year. That's the salary. If I choose to buy health-care coverage, it will cost $1k/year, but it's a $5k/year plan with the employer kicking in $4k/year. I do not get $64k because I choose to use my wife's coverage instead.

I understand that my salary would be higher if the employer chose not to offer healthcare at all and instead returned that all to the employees, but that's just not a factor in the marginal benefits of my career decisions.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »

Sorry about that, I had taken my bi-weekly $36.28 payment multiplied by a monthly rate of 12 instead of bi-weekly of 26.  For yearly premium cost, that should say $943 (pre-tax), which I corrected, effectively $588 real cost to me due to being tax advantaged.  I think it's still reasonable.  There's also a separate pharmacy deductible and co-pays also (like $10 for a tier one monthly prescription refill), $20 office visit (which co-pay and deductible doesn't apply to a wellness visit.)  I had one visit last year and wasn't charged anything.  The biggest surprise this summer was that there was no increase in our premiums this year (and all coverage remains the same.)

I'm in Illinois (not near Chicago), but we actually cut positions lately and some work hours cut among staff.

How od I multi-quote...

I'm IL near Chicago. Your rates are definitely good. My wife's coverage+1 has a significantly higher deductible and a significantly higher premium cost. She's in the "eds and meds" sector, too...most people get a more bum deal than her.

You can get some pretty nice salaries out of the big cities, if you're an educated professional. My wife was originally making $120,000 with a health plan even better than yours and a 50% match on her 401k up to 12 percent, out in a small Wisconsin town.
After quoting the first reply, you can scroll down to previous posts and click "insert quote."  I'm going to do that in this reply.

I have 100% match but only to 4%.  If we have a spouse that can get coverage through their own employer, they can't add them to the policy through us.   Several years back, we didn't have deductible at all, but they haven't raised it since they initially added it.  I'm hoping to FIRE, at least part time, in 2 years or 4 max based on the current trajectory of things.  I'm still not sure what I'll do then....  move to the big city, leave IL, travel around in an RV, or what.

Well that was my point. If you agreed to a $100k salary, by your employer pays $5k in health insurance premiums, that's no different than getting a $105k salary and paying for insurance yourself.

That's why when you say "health insurance only cost me $943" it's not correct if (as I believe is the case) your employer pays thousands more in addition.
I see what you're saying.  I just look at the employer's cost to my health care coverage as a benefit that I get "in addition to my salary" vs. "coming out of my salary."  My salary is $100,000, but the $5000 employer cost would be added rather than subtracted from it.  I can't imagine them taking away that benefit, at least not during my 2 to 4 years until FIRE.  They didn't even increase my premium this year (they specifically stated the healthcare costs had dropped.)

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2017, 02:46:55 PM »
This post has been a success for my goals.  By writing it and declaring I will spend less time on the forum I have actually spent less time on this forum.  I believe this is the 3rd comment I have made since its creation. Thanks jooniFLORisploo for your support. I think your comment really helped.

Another success proved my point that some people are so deluded by their preconceived political biases that you can never have a reasonable discussion with them.  Unless you fully 100% agree with their stance you are evil and there is no seeing the issue from every angle. Golden1 and DeanHedlund proved my point exactly.  Just because what I learned doesn't agree with you does not mean I learned nothing.  One thing I learned is that having a discussion with someone so polarized is a complete waste of my time because all they see is left vs right, good vs evil, republican vs democrat and the world is far more nuanced than that.

Scantee, there are plenty of amazing hard working public servants who are hired and paid for by government. My derogatory statements are geared towards career elected officials who will cater to those funding their next election as opposed to the people. Here is a recent example if you don't mind.  My parents live in a town outside of a big city.  Most people will commute by a railroad to the city for work. In their town the parking situation outside of the rail system is atrocious and becoming a real problem for the commuters.  My parents being engineers came to the mayor and showed him plans for a very inexpensive solution to the problem which they were willing to provide free to the town. The Mayor's response was "what is in it for me?"  That is an exact quote by that dirtbag. Oh and 2 years later the problem is getting worse.

rbuck, I really agree with you. It reminds me a little of communist countries where they have elections but your are voting for a communist or another communist. No matter what they pontificate when they campaign the final result is usually a person with the interest of their lobbyists and themselves in mind. You either get someone who caters towards military spending, favoritism for the banking system and then some other big business vs someone who caters to increased military spending, favoritism to the banking industry and a different group of big business.  Both sound pretty similar to me.

Scandium, I'm not sure what the right percentage of taxation is. Can we accept another 1% more or should we all pay an extra 10%. I do know at some point it is too much. Currently the wealthy in California, NY, NJ, Connecticut and Illinios pay close to 50% on their income after a certain income level.  Is that enough?  BTW, those states are some of the worst off fiscally in the country. https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings So yes, we in America are pretty well off.  Even the poor in this country are better off compared to most of the population in the world. And yes, we spend way too much on Military.  I would be more than happy to cut our defense budget drastically and use that money to help pay down our debt so that in the long run we wouldn't need to raise taxes and maybe even lower some taxes on the middle class.

Bucksandreds, I guess we are friends now despite all those rude comments before.  Don't worry, I'm cool with it ;)

The only way this will ever change is by changing the voting system to one where multiple parties are viable, but since such a change would require the cooperation of the people who directly benefit from the status quo it will never happen (just like campaign finance reform or congressional term limits).  I am at the point where I am mostly checked out on political issues, I have pretty much given up hope that the system can ever be changed.  I think the politicians will continue to loot and pillage until they finally kill the country, it seems unstoppable at this point.  The most I can do is try to move from the labor class to the capital class so I can at least reap some of the benefits that Congress gives business.

I had to quote this because it is so perfect.  The system is so corrupt I just don't see much future in it.  I hoped that social media through transparency would force some honesty unto our politicians but they have figured out how to manipulate that as well. I really want to check out as well, but I keep getting sucked in.

Eludia, I am no macro economist, but economics is something I find very interesting and a bit of a hobby of mine.  I can tell you for a fact that money is not infinite. Yes money is created out of thin air by the Fed. Money is also created out of thin our by our banking system via fractional reserve lending.  But, the value of money is based on how much is in circulation.  If we put too much money into circulation we will have hyperinflation and the value of the money you have saved will disappear. The reason why we did not have hyperinflation from the trillions the federal reserve printed after the financial crisis is because there was no increase in the money supply.  Much of the new money that was printed was used to buy government debt which did not enter circulation.  Then all the money that was created through mortgage lending disappeared in bankruptcy decreasing cash in circulation. Therefor the actual money supply remained relatively constant and we have had minimal inflation over the last 8 years. What some extremely fiscally conservative people don't understand is that spending money on the poor actually benefits themselves. If the poor are desperate many will turn to crime to by food and shelter and who could blame them. Those who are better off financially should spend some of their money on making sure the poor are not destitute. Revolutions occur when the people are starving. As for single payer. I am not totally against it but I am a little skeptical of it being successful in the US based on the already expensive cost of providing healthcare on top of a system that I don't see as very efficient. I would love to see a state adopt single payer and prove me wrong. It looks like California set out on that path only to realize it will be too expensive and appears to have scuttled it.

Fuzzy Math, You are correct I am self employed and choose to be self employed because of the massive tax advantages I get through owning my own business. Company 401k $18k per year max vs Solo 401k $54k max is just one example. Also, I have no problem providing free care to those who do not abuse the system. I figure it is the least I can do. I hate providing free care for drug seekers, and demanding people who think I owe them something.

Vivian, very nice comment about the differences in perspective. I agree with much of what you said. Helping those less fortunate to have the basics is a good idea. The question I ask you and everyone else; how much should we provide and what are the basics that everyone should have? As jeninco posted and I paraphrase "food, shelter, basic education, and basic healthcare needs."  I do not think we should be providing cell phones and big screen TVs. I think basic health care does not mean using the newest and most expensive drugs, it doesn't mean private rooms in the hospital, and it doesn't mean immediate treatment unless life threatening. In the hospital we tend to get very biased views. We see some people (not everyone) on Medicaid drive in relatively nice cars using the latest iPhone or Samsung phones. We wonder if our taxes are subsidizing those luxuries.

One big problem with cutting Medicaid is that it provides the funds for the majority of people in nursing homes and long term care facilities (about 70% of those people rely on Medicaid). So far, half the aging relatives in my family ended up relying on it.

I'm going to say it and it will be unpopular.  There are too many people with no quality of life, bedridden with almost no brain function living in nursing homes who should stop getting medical procedures and medical care to sustain that horrible existence. Maybe cutting that out of medicaid is a good idea so that we can use those funds to expand funding for the poor that actually can benefit from it.

I think most people in the US outside of a few diehard anarchists believe that government is necessary to provide certain functions in society. A capitalist government should provide an infrastructure so that we can exchange in commerce and be able to achieve prosperity.  That includes roads, bridges, sewer system, etc. Lets just ignore military, environment, and reproductive rights for just a moment. I think we can agree that most people want the same thing and yes republicans included would also agree that as a society we should not let people starve in the streets and should have some way of helping those that can't help themselves. I see the big disagreement really is how much?  How much should we tax to fund those social programs? How much should we spend on them? What should be given for free and what needs to be paid for? Who deserves those tax funded services? This is the gray area that needs elucidating and the point of most contention between the left and the right. Those who are far left think tax everyone who makes more than them and give it to everybody else and there is no talking sense into them. Like money grows on trees and we can just spend spend spend. Those on the far right will say no more taxes, most people are moochers and taxation is theft and there is no talking sense into them either.  Everyone else is right there in the middle having a real discussion about it and would love to see the best possible solution for everybody. I just wish our elected politicians were like that also.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:07:35 PM by EnjoyIt »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »
The challenge with polarized stances is that it limits conversation to the same false questions, usually unnecessarily binary ones. This comes up in the forum's nondiscussions on vaccinations, for example.

Step 1: Bring up the topic.
Step 2: Declare a position.
Step 3: Call those with a different view stupid until everyone stops talking.

Sigh.

This process for preempting conversation occurs in so many topics, unfortunately. And it stops us from getting to the third space: creative, collaboration solutions to get us all to the next level, from which we can collectively ask questions that are more relevant. That's the process I'm often eagerly seeking (in any topic), but not everyone's willing to engage in it.

In terms of wasted medical care (a resource I see as precious and critically important), I would start with a few steps:

1. Take out the middle man. If I don't need a medical doctor, eliminate the medical doctor from the process. I'm capable of requesting, picking up, and reading blood test results. Don't demand two medical appointments -in a severely stretched system- for me to do that. If I'd like to pay for a pap smear once a year, let me pop over to a tech who can do that. Don't have me go to a doctor, to refer me to a different doctor...

2. Let everyone who hopes for assisted suicide have that. Sure, have criteria and due process. But to force people to continue living even against their wishes, just because we have the high tech to keep them alive? Ugh. For my part, I was very willing to let my dad go in that situation and am fairly confident I will choose the same for myself. I don't wish to divert a disporportionate amount of resources when that means others will suffer from easily remedied issues.

3. After that, consider new questions, from a new societal situation.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2017, 08:37:36 PM »
Thanks, EnjoyIt and JooniFLORisploo, for the long and short versions of the "why bother even having this conversation" explanation. I've found this to be a generally constructive discussion, and I appreciate that you set it up, and that most respondents have been thoughtful and considerate about participating. And that there's been very little name-calling and talking past each other.

I might be pretty far left (I'd call myself a "Progressive"), but I'm happy to tax myself, not just people who make more than I do. And, as a mathematician, I'm way in favor of monitoring the effect of programs to see what works. (And no, that doesn't make me very popular in some circles. Oops!)

I'm also fairly small-c "conservative" in my family's use of healthcare -- I have two teenaged boys, and while we ought to have a punchcard at our local non-emergency urgent care office (I've actually lost track of broken/sprained wrists), we have almost never been to the ER. I support both of your call for assisted suicide (with protections, of course, and in re-reading this it annoys me that I think it's necessary to put that qualification in) and in limiting care for the extremely old to treatments that will actually improve quality of life. That's what I want for myself! (And I can say this with some confidence, as we had a next-door neighbor do hospice for late-stage stomach cancer, and while it wasn't all rainbows and roses, it's absolutely what I'd want for myself and my loved ones given the circumstances.)

Maybe it would help  to regard medical care like food and other resources: someone had to go to a lot of work to get this on your table, take what you need, and don't waste it! (On the other hand, re: the newest and best drugs, if you've got Hep C and you could take a drug and not have it ... that's a tough one to rationalize not providing. So sometimes the new thing might actually be the best!) Which brings this nicely back around to official "mustachianism": healthcare is a resource! Don't waste resources! And take care of the resources you have, including your own self!

I actually like my representatives, and feels that they're mostly in sync with my values. On the other hand, I live in an incredibly wealthy enclave, so there are some hard decisions that don't have to be made in the same way as places with more limited resources.

Anyhow, thanks for setting up the thread. It's been an interesting read!

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »
What's the value of a human life? It's definitely not infinite, so someone has to put a $ value on it at some point.

Obviously said from someone who doesn't have or know anyone using Medicaid. Way easier to talk about this in numbers than actually assigning a living breathing human to it. And therein is the difference right now that I see between Democrats and Republicans, big money notwithstanding.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2017, 08:49:31 PM »
What's the value of a human life? It's definitely not infinite, so someone has to put a $ value on it at some point.

Obviously said from someone who doesn't have or know anyone using Medicaid. Way easier to talk about this in numbers than actually assigning a living breathing human to it. And therein is the difference right now that I see between Democrats and Republicans, big money notwithstanding.
Just because emotional entanglements make the topic harder to consider doesn't mean we should throw out basic logical conclusions. Often human lives are considered in a statistical manner, meaning we're not talking about Aunt Bertha but the odds, for example, that $X spent on a safety measure saving Y lives is worth it. Without such a value on human life, there is no rational way to consider trade-offs.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2017, 10:27:03 PM »

Just because emotional entanglements make the topic harder to consider doesn't mean we should throw out basic logical conclusions. Often human lives are considered in a statistical manner, meaning we're not talking about Aunt Bertha but the odds, for example, that $X spent on a safety measure saving Y lives is worth it. Without such a value on human life, there is no rational way to consider trade-offs.

What was the logical conclusion that I missed? We're absolutely talking about people anytime we throw down some random numbers pulled from the internet's ass. I'll double down- you don't know what Medicaid does either. Lucky that you don't have to deal with it, but I will tell you it does a lot of good for a lot of people pretty cheaply. These laws, this funding affects people on the individual level, including Aunt Bertha, or even Joe the Plumber. We're talking about letting the old, sick and poor die because they can't afford care, or having families go either bankrupt or severely rearrange themselves to take care of somebody. Yeah we can throw some brain dead vented peeps in there for arguments sake but it's a pretty slippery place to be in despite those, pardon, emotional entanglements. Always fails to explain the so-called "pro-life" agenda though.

But then again....The Time of Renewal looks pretty cool a la Logan's Run...until it's your turn I guess. Maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSnLU9nyFSA

Bills Hicks had a better idea, "Put 'em in the movies!"
https://youtu.be/6jSGTk7iPXk?t=48

Don't get me started about those who don't want to provide funds to pay for scientific/medical research. Or basic preventative care. Don't want to teach kids how to use a condom since it might make people feel emotionally awkward to talk about vaginas and penises. That abstinence only education has worked so well all the while attempting to slash benefits for those who can't afford to eat once we squirt out that precious baby life. And those sexy "death panels" bring up those emotionally difficult topics nobody wants to talk about while they're still alive.

The logical conclusions I can come up with right now: Shit costs money. No wait...Good Shit Costs Money. (I looked it up- abbreviation already taken) History has not been kind to those societies who don't treat their weakest well. But pay no attention. I'm just a money-grows-on-trees-tax-and-spend-generalized type of guy.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »

What was the logical conclusion that I missed? We're absolutely talking about people anytime we throw down some random numbers pulled from the internet's ass. I'll double down- you don't know what Medicaid does either. Lucky that you don't have to deal with it, but I will tell you it does a lot of good for a lot of people pretty cheaply. These laws, this funding affects people on the individual level, including Aunt Bertha, or even Joe the Plumber. We're talking about letting the old, sick and poor die because they can't afford care, or having families go either bankrupt or severely rearrange themselves to take care of somebody. Yeah we can throw some brain dead vented peeps in there for arguments sake but it's a pretty slippery place to be in despite those, pardon, emotional entanglements. Always fails to explain the so-called "pro-life" agenda though.

But then again....The Time of Renewal looks pretty cool a la Logan's Run...until it's your turn I guess. Maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSnLU9nyFSA

Bills Hicks had a better idea, "Put 'em in the movies!"
https://youtu.be/6jSGTk7iPXk?t=48

Don't get me started about those who don't want to provide funds to pay for scientific/medical research. Or basic preventative care. Don't want to teach kids how to use a condom since it might make people feel emotionally awkward to talk about vaginas and penises. That abstinence only education has worked so well all the while attempting to slash benefits for those who can't afford to eat once we squirt out that precious baby life. And those sexy "death panels" bring up those emotionally difficult topics nobody wants to talk about while they're still alive.

The logical conclusions I can come up with right now: Shit costs money. No wait...Good Shit Costs Money. (I looked it up- abbreviation already taken) History has not been kind to those societies who don't treat their weakest well. But pay no attention. I'm just a money-grows-on-trees-tax-and-spend-generalized type of guy.

Quoted in full, because I think there's some stuff getting conflated here:

Assigning value to lives allows us to make decisions about how to allocate a limited (at some level) amount of resources (in this case, Health Care) to where it can be most effective. As a society, do we put higher value on a few more months of around-the-clock care for a 90-year-old with dementia than providing well-child screenings for dozens (or hundreds) of poor children?  Because that's what the current system facilitates. (I'm phrasing this as a rhetorical question, but I'd answer that this is a completely ass-backwards way to allocate resources.)

I'm in support of more Medicaid -- in fact, I'd support a single-payer system like the one in Germany. I'm in favor of preventative and front-line care for everyone. And I've had relatives who could've saved the system $$ hundreds of thousands (or more) if they hadn't had the last month of their lives stretched out in a damn hospital bed with tubes everywhere and no quality of life whatsoever. If Aunt Bertha can reasonably expect a life that has meaning for her after some medically-legitimate procedure, I'm not arguing that. If Granny is already an unhealthy 95 (we live a long time in my family), could we please not subject her to expensive treatment that will only make her more uncomfortable and miserable in her final days?

I realize this is a tough conversation: I have the "advantage" of having watched some neighbors and family die in a variety of ways and places, and I'm helping support a family member with chronic conditions. I'm also not arguing with you about vaccinations, sex education, and reproductive rights (for shit's sake, can we please just teach kids how their parts work, how to be safe and respectful, and let people control their own fertility?  I'm fairly appalled that this part of the conversation even needs to happen, honestly.)  I want to live in a society that takes care of its weakest members, but sometimes that's still going to require making hard decisions.  Assigning value to lives allows us one way to think about it -- it shouldn't be the only way, but it's one. 

And the most expensive treatment isn't always (or often) the best -- and we also need a way to assess "reasonability."  Vaccinations for children = Totally cost effective! Surgery for lower back pain = not looking like such a good idea. Physical therapy is often more effective and costs less. (http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/physical-therapy-as-good-as-surgery-and-less-risky-for-one-type-of-lower-back-pain-201504097863)

I don't think we're mostly disagreeing here.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2017, 09:40:44 AM »
To second jeninco, putting a value on a life isn't asking to spend or not to spend, it's a question of value. This is a core concept of mustachianism.

When deciding if you should send your kid to super awesome space camp where they will have a once in a lifetime experience that they'll never forget and will undoubtedly improve them as a person, you should do it right?

What if it costs $100,000 dollars and that means you need to work 3 more years in which you won't be able to spend that time with your kid. There's a tradeoff. So the only rational thing to do is make your best attempt at determining the value of your options and making a decision. Hence, we put a value on human life. It sounds cold to the emotional mind but to the rational mind denying preventative care to many people that will certainly improve their quality of life so that 1 person has a chance to be saved, that is coldhearted.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »

I don't see how a nation of 300 million people with an $18.5 trillion economy has any useful discussion that is not dominated by numbers. You cannot even emotionally picture 300 million people. We probably can't even emotionally picture just 300 people. It's way, way, way above the Dunbar number.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!