Author Topic: What hobby do you have now, that you plan to continue enjoying post-FIRE?  (Read 7899 times)

alewpanda

• Bristles
Painting --- which I can do reasonably cheaply if I'm careful, reuse, and use sales.

walking/hiking -- would have way more time for if I were FIRE!

Husband does tons of programming, raspberry pi, and some woodworking projects.  Those will certainly have to be budgeted for...lol.  Sometimes he can do them for just his time -- several small organizations that are non-profit have recruited him to work on projects he believes in, and will cover costs and occasionally pay a bit.  He also has an LLC that allows him to do some consult work and projects for several local businesses in his free time. 

I also love reading, volunteering, and sometimes I enjoy cooking, when I'm not rushed....

We do love travel too...so that would also have to be budgeted for!

Rimu05

• Bristles
Won't FIRE in like twenty years, but I hope, I at least speak five languages fluently by then. Currently at three and learning a fourth.

With my language learning, I hope to travel and teach in other countries.

Reading too, I quite like doing.

I hope to learn an instrument too.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Won't FIRE in like twenty years, but I hope, I at least speak five languages fluently by then. Currently at three and learning a fourth.

With my language learning, I hope to travel and teach in other countries.

Reading too, I quite like doing.

That's really awesome. I'm struggling with language #2.

steviesterno

• Bristles
Hope to get deeper into woodworking, metal work, knife making, hiking, maybe camping but probably RV at the minimum, and shooting.

I'm a competitive shooter, but I'm transitioning towards building rifles and making ammo. It's slow and meticulous but pretty enjoyable. I'm looking forward to building a shop and a range, popping a few rounds off the back porch and then relaxing on the deck.

Also want to get into hunting, but I mostly plan on just hiking while carrying a rifle/napping in the woods.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
Art/illustration
Urban and travel sketching
Reading
cooking
Socializing more than now
Spending more time with pets than now.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
Quilting-- I got into it last summer and I just love it.  More time=more time for quilting.  And I'll probably be able to live off my stash by then, so minimal expense (yeah, right, lol).

Photography-- I've been into photography since I was a kid, it's something I will probably do forever.

Woodworking-- also a hobby since I was young.  My property has a slab for what will become a very large shop (over 40' square).  I want to make my own furniture, picnic tables, outdoor chairs, etc.

Travel-- Once I no longer feel like dealing with airlines and foreign travel, my plan is to get a dog and a camper/camper van/small trailer. 

Walking in the woods-- property is all treed, as is the surrounding area.

Crochet/knit-- I can do some very basic crochet right now, but my mom is going to teach me to knit so that I can make my own socks.  I might add spinning to this section as well.  My sister-in-law spins her own yarn and loves it.

Reading-- I love to read, but I'm slow.  Will be nice when I no longer have to get to bed at a decent time to get up for work.  I can get lost into a book for hours and not want to put it down.  I have spent more than one night without sleep because I was really into a good book.

Feeding my inner pyro-- fire!  Bonfire, campfire, outdoor fire oven...  Lots of time to just sit and watch a fire.

Cooking/baking/food preservation--although I'll have to go easy on this if I don't have someone to share the food with!

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
I raise moths as a hobby (yes, it puts the lotion on its skin).  Nothing has shaped my life more than my love of lepidoptera.  I have no idea why, but as long as I'm breathing and can walk on two legs I'll be looking forward to rearing my caterpillars every spring...getting up in the middle of the night in May-June to check on the moths....cursing having to work outside in the hot August sun changing leaves for two hours a day...singing praise to jesus come September, completely sick of summer activities and finally winding down and the weather cools....only to start lusting after the whole thing again by February. 

The hobby makes me a few hundred bucks a year now, but in FIRE I think it'll be good for 2-3k.  But I do it for the love, no doubt.

ETA - and other hobbies I plan on continuing include - landscaping, gardening, bodybuilding (though scaled back as age progresses), motorcycling, backpacking, mountain climbing...ugh so many expensive hobbies and so little time.  But nothing trumps the moths.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:55:27 PM by big_owl »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache

Good idea!  I remember flirting with the idea of picking up an instrument a few years ago, but abandoned it as I don't have the time or will while working full-time.  However, this would be a great option for the post-FIRE years. (If I ever get there :))