Are you female or male?

Female
196 (54%)
Male
161 (44.4%)
N/A :-P
6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 343

Author Topic: What gender are you?  (Read 37125 times)

Kaminoge

• Bristles
Re: What gender are you?
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2014, 04:44:50 AM »
I'm female. But not an engineer. We do exist!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2014, 05:53:40 AM »
I'm female. But not an engineer. But I come from a long line of engineers. Still Happy :)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »
Male type dude here.

Like Sol, I'm not really interested in your gender for good discussions. 

Everything in Moderation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
sheepstache:  Senior Mustachian
"Shit.  You guys.  If the numbers do turn out to be a majority women this place is going to go down the tubes.  People will start saying, "Oh, MMM, isn't that some girl thing," and decide that it's stupid.  We need to get some more male votes in if only for appearance's sake."

Disturbing, on so many levels.  I hope this guy does not have a mother, sister, or any daughters.  The level of respect for girls and women is terrible. 

Thanks to all the level headed men and women on this blog who are not ignorant!   The best teams are made up of people with different strengths (Basketball: fast point guard, large center).  Diversity is what makes this forum so interesting.  If we were all the same, conversation would be really boring. 

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »
I took sheepstache's comment to be supa-dupa sarcastic.

Everything in Moderation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
I hope you are right, and I am wrong. 

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2014, 09:58:01 AM »

I did too but the feedback for sheepstache that the comment came off way wrong to some people is still helpful.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:28 AM »

It was.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »
Yeah, about that assumption that everyone on the internet is male...

Sarcastic might not be the right word, perhaps hyperbole because I don't imagine it would really happen here.  But I wasn't kidding, because my observation is that it's a real thing.  I was kidding about the suggestion that we fudge the numbers to prevent it.  Hope that clears things up.

*Ah, perhaps the confusion: I wasn't saying it would go down the tubes because of a majority of women.  I was saying that the ensuing _perception_ that it was "a girl thing" would lead to its being de-valued, leading to a lower quality of contributions.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
I'm guessing you mean that in an "exists to serve only one gender"?  As in "a guy thing" would be equally negative?

I don't know any guys who use Pinterest, for example.  I'm sure they are out there, but my assumption is "female website".

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
I was saying that the ensuing _perception_ that it was "a girl thing" would lead to its being de-valued, leading to a lower quality of contributions.

I would hope a perception like that wouldn't be a negative thing.

If true, goes to show you some sad things about people.

The pinterest example is a good one.  It's mostly girls, but I don't think less of the website because of it - it has neat ideas, posts, etc.  I know someone who got a tattoo based on a picture they found on Pintrest.  I know people who make recipies, and decorations, and such, based on stuff they've found there.  I think it's an awesome DIY site with great arts and crafts projects.

The fact that the majority of the user base is women doesn't even cross my mind or matter to me in the slightest.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
Did anyone do an age survey?  Or did I miss that post?  I'm wondering if the high number of women is a generational thing.

frugal-one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Single female Systems Engineer.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
I'm guessing you mean that in an "exists to serve only one gender"?  As in "a guy thing" would be equally negative?

I don't know any guys who use Pinterest, for example.  I'm sure they are out there, but my assumption is "female website".

No, I think calling something a "guy thing" isn't considered as negative.  Possibly it might be used for something seen as male to the point of being exclusionary, but even then that might be viewed positively, that it is in a sense elite.  But it's much less common for women to dismiss something for being a "guy thing" as it is for people of both genders to dismiss something as a "girl thing" and "girl thing" almost always means less valuable, less rigorous, more easily achievable.

Of course, there's a lot of nuance and counter examples so it's hard to make a broad statement without spending five paragraphs qualifying it so it's unassailably accurate.  Hopefully that gets the idea across.

jexy103

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
I am female. Not an engineer. ;-) I'm actually in a female-dominated profession at the moment, until I finish my MBA and can find a job that I will enjoy more and better suits my skillset.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »
Female. I'd assume that was obvious from my writing style, but who knows...

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2014, 09:35:12 PM »
I think I closed the voting so the poll can be a snapshot of the forum at this time.  Mods if I didn't, can you please do it or tell me how?  Thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2014, 07:49:15 AM »
I think I closed the voting so the poll can be a snapshot of the forum at this time.  Mods if I didn't, can you please do it or tell me how?  Thanks!

Okay.  Voting is locked.

If anyone is interested in a year or two, they can do a new poll then and link back to this one to see if anything has changed.

Thanks for the interesting thread.

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »
Okay.  Voting is locked.

If anyone is interested in a year or two, they can do a new poll then and link back to this one to see if anything has changed.

Thanks for the interesting thread.

Good idea!  It would be interesting to compare in a year or two! Glad I thought of it, definitely changed my assumptions about who is posting :-)

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »
There's nothing wrong with Pinterest being 90% female, but I definitely lost interest in the app after about a week. I'm sure it has as much to do with me not being the artistic type as being a guy. My girlfriend finds the best recipes on there though, so I'm happy it exists.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »
They say no man is an island, but every man has a peninsula.

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2014, 10:36:43 PM »
They say no man is an island, but every man has a peninsula.
hahahahahaha, thanks for this