Are you female or male?

Female
196 (54%)
Male
161 (44.4%)
N/A :-P
6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 343

Author Topic: What gender are you?  (Read 37129 times)

luigi49

• Bristles
Re: What gender are you?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »
I had my adams apple shaved this past weekend. 

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
So this post made me finally add a photo, but while I was doing it I found out that the forum software lets you choose an actor/actress/musician as a photo without uploading one.
I remember pictures better than usernames. Just sayin'. If you want an improved chance of me remembering which lovely commentor you are - get a photo up there! :)
Because of these two things, I sometimes get confused about who is posting.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
Shit.  You guys.  If the numbers do turn out to be a majority women this place is going to go down the tubes.  People will start saying, "Oh, MMM, isn't that some girl thing," and decide that it's stupid.  We need to get some more male votes in if only for appearance's sake.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »

I'm a lady with a wife, so pretty much the whole of the internet assumes I'm a dude.

Well now I see my own bias. I pretty much assumed most people on financial forums are usually political conservatives who don't live in my part of the country (SF bay area).  If this was a bay area forum, there probably would have been even more categories to choose from in the gender options.

Be careful with the quotes - I think you mis-quoted this one to Dragoncar when it was from Samburger. Confused me for a second since I didn't remember Dragoncar posting it above.

jordanread

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »
LOL, I thought of that too, dragoncar, that women are simply more talkative and thus more likely to respond.

I chose my username so I wouldn't keep having to repeat my point of view (female, mom, lotsa kids).  Hmmm, maybe it's time for an avatar, like HappierAtHome

I remember pictures better than usernames. Just sayin'. If you want an improved chance of me remembering which lovely commentor you are - get a photo up there! :)

I read a book awhile back about computer hackers.  It said something like "assume any women you meet online is actually a teenage boy laughing his ass off"

I always thought that everyone you meet online is an FBI agent?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »

I'm a lady with a wife, so pretty much the whole of the internet assumes I'm a dude.

Well now I see my own bias. I pretty much assumed most people on financial forums are usually political conservatives who don't live in my part of the country (SF bay area).  If this was a bay area forum, there probably would have been even more categories to choose from in the gender options.

Be careful with the quotes - I think you mis-quoted this one to Dragoncar when it was from Samburger. Confused me for a second since I didn't remember Dragoncar posting it above.

"Lol I totally missed that.  Just proves anyone can (accidentally) misquote on the internet."

-Ghandi

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »

Sorry. I just removed all names.  The html is messy on the reply mode.  Perhaps I have my settlngs wrong? 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »

I'm going to generalize with great abandon (which means caution: I'm talking outta my ass).  I'd say this forum leans left mostly with another reasonable dose of libertarian types.

I'd assume "I have a wife" means "I'm a dude" ... but that bias is mainly numbers based.  It doesn't mean it bothers me... I could care less.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »

I highly doubt this forum is >50% women as the poll suggests. I would guess more like 20-30%.

Huh?

So is your hypothesis that most people voting are lying (and why would they do that?), or that they don't know their gender, or that the men are too stupid to find the correct button?  Or do you just have trouble reading bar graphs?

The proof is at the top of the thread.  I wouldn't have guessed it was the case, but it seems to be so.  And most other personal finance blog readers (from sites such as GRS and TSD) are women, so it makes sense that this is the case here as well, I just never thought too hard about it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2014, 07:06:15 PM »

So is your hypothesis that most people voting are lying (and why would they do that?), or that they don't know their gender, or that the men are too stupid to find the correct button?  Or do you just have trouble reading bar graphs?

I like the choice that most people are unsure about their gender.  Now that 's something to ponder.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:07:47 PM by meteor »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
I read that as  "Not applicable". And wondered is that a box for transgendered, or does it mean "it doesn't matter which gender I am". 

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:23 PM »

Sorry. I just removed all names.  The html is messy on the reply mode.  Perhaps I have my settlngs wrong? 

I get confused sometimes on what to delete when quoting someone. Sometimes I royally screw it up.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2014, 07:34:16 PM »

"Lol I totally missed that.  Just proves anyone can (accidentally) misquote on the internet."

-Ghandi

You did it again. LOL. But it took me a second to even notice. Nice work.

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2014, 08:39:21 PM »
wow, I am really glad I asked this question!! I am surprised at the results so far and the discussion has been great.  I added a N/A (not applicable) for the people who didn't want to own up to either gender or didn't identify with either, it could also be taken any way someone wanted :-)   This forum is awesome and I am happy to see so many women here, I had a feeling there were more than I thought since I keep getting surprised in threads when the OP clarifies their gender as female.  We will see where the poll ends up but for just a day I see lots of votes so it may be a snapshot of the forum as I hoped it could be.  You guys/gals rock!

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
Shit.  You guys.  If the numbers do turn out to be a majority women this place is going to go down the tubes.  People will start saying, "Oh, MMM, isn't that some girl thing," and decide that it's stupid.... 

Yikes, dude! Who thinks like that?

The terminator.  Although I think he used the word "girly" (before his fall from grace).

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2014, 09:22:53 PM »
Wasn't quite sure how I wanted to vote, decided female was the best answer for the poll (rather than "N/A :P").

I'm a transwoman at that awkward stage where I still have to deal with the 'stache on my face a bit while I try to grow a financial 'stache.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »
Wasn't quite sure how I wanted to vote, decided female was the best answer for the poll (rather than "N/A :P").

I'm a transwoman at that awkward stage where I still have to deal with the 'stache on my face a bit while I try to grow a financial 'stache.
There's a metaphor here somewhere. 

xenon5

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »
Male here.

This is a really interesting poll!  Most places I hang around on the internet, the ratio is more like 80-99% guys.  It's refreshing :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:20:54 PM by xenon5 »

Peter

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »

I highly doubt this forum is >50% women as the poll suggests. I would guess more like 20-30%.

Huh?

Those are your words, not mine. Stated in hyperbole to try and make the opinion opposite of your seem ridiculous, might I add. Debating 101.

Poll confirms females more likely to answer polls

My hypothesis is that women (in a large number of environments) more actively jump at questions asking for gender identification because they feel that they have something to prove while participating in traditionally "male" activites.

I am positing that men, more than women, don't care about responding to such trivial tallies and wouldn't bother voting.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2014, 08:32:29 AM »
My hypothesis is that women (in a large number of environments) more actively jump at questions asking for gender identification because they feel that they have something to prove while participating in traditionally "male" activites.

I am positing that men, more than women, don't care about responding to such trivial tallies and wouldn't bother voting.

Can we please debate this nicely, rather than resorting to sexist remarks?  Or, at least follow the old adage "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"  No need to post if you find it a trival tally.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2014, 08:41:09 AM »
girl

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »
Yeah, I mean we women love trivial stuff. We have to fill the time between changing our tampons somehow!!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »

ooh I can make up reasons too! men should be more likely to vote because they feel the need to mark their territory... the is finance after all, men's work if there ever was. Obviously there are even more females than this poll suggests!

As another poster pointed out, this poll is a significant %age of the forum's users. I don't see any reason not to trust it. Although if you had a reason backed by something more than personal bias I'd be glad to hear it.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2014, 08:45:03 AM »

Huh?

Those are your words, not mine. Stated in hyperbole to try and make the opinion opposite of your seem ridiculous, might I add. Debating 101.

Poll confirms females more likely to answer polls

Assuming your hypothesis is even remotely accurate and not just some poorly conceived assumption, how is being on a forum a traditionally male activity?

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »
This thread is blowing my mind right now...I don't know why, but most of the people posting, I thought you were guys!

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2014, 09:09:03 AM »
I think Peter's original comment came when there were fewer respondents. So Peter, the real question is now that we have a significant population of the current users voting, have you rejected your hypothesis?

jordanread

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »
My hypothesis is that of the 264 people that voted at the time of this post, 139 said they were female, and 120 said they were male. 5 marked N/A. I think my hypothesis is most likely correct.

SCIENCE!!! :P

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2014, 09:22:38 AM »
This is a really interesting poll!  Most places I hang around on the internet, the ratio is more like 80-99% guys.  It's refreshing :)
The men are men, the women are men, and the kids are cops!

Male as well.
I see the male count has jumped quite a bit during the evening.. Y'know while we're waiting for you ladies to cook dinn- *ducks*

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
LOL, I thought of that too, dragoncar, that women are simply more talkative and thus more likely to respond.

I chose my username so I wouldn't keep having to repeat my point of view (female, mom, lotsa kids).  Hmmm, maybe it's time for an avatar, like HappierAtHome

This hadn't occurred to me before- but it does make sense. Picture added!

grmagne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2014, 09:34:25 AM »
www.alexa.com also shows mrmoneymustache.com as having a 50/50 split of men and women. I have no idea how accurate those Alexa demographics are, but this poll is now corrorborating the same statistic. I'm a bit surprised too -- maybe because any website with "Mr." and "Mustache" in the name is automatically assumed to be a male-dominated site.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »
I read that as  "Not applicable". And wondered is that a box for transgendered, or does it mean "it doesn't matter which gender I am".

I took it to mean transgendered or don't want to be your gender. Which is why I picked it.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2014, 09:57:38 AM »
www.alexa.com also shows mrmoneymustache.com as having a 50/50 split of men and women. I have no idea how accurate those Alexa demographics are, but this poll is now corrorborating the same statistic. I'm a bit surprised too -- maybe because any website with "Mr." and "Mustache" in the name is automatically assumed to be a male-dominated site.

What does alexa base their information on?  I for one, always register as a male online (even tho' I'm female) to avoid possible harassment.  Also, I have a blog in an industry that is 90% women, yet my blog stats show many more men visitors.  No one will ever convince a majority of my readers are men.  I'm thinking all my blog readers have also registered as men (but are really women).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:59:19 AM by meteor »

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
I'd be very curious to see the poll weighted by number of posts a person has made. I wonder if that might show more of the male bias many people were expecting to see in this poll? I'm not saying the current poll isn't useful or awesome, just curious where the bias that many people (myself included) had may have come from.

Seeing as most if not all of the moderators are male and they legitimately post more than most other users, would that bias our impressions of the gender split?

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »
I'd be very curious to see the poll weighted by number of posts a person has made. I wonder if that might show more of the male bias many people were expecting to see in this poll? I'm not saying the current poll isn't useful or awesome, just curious where the bias that many people (myself included) had may have come from.

Seeing as most if not all of the moderators are male and they legitimately post more than most other users, would that bias our impressions of the gender split?

Excellent point. That could be exactly what is going on.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »
I just assumed it was my own ingrained bias.  I default to assuming male unless there are specific clues in the picture, name or post to indicate otherwise.  As many other's have mentioned I've been surprised before, however, I haven't necessarily gone back and reread every thread to see how many responses I had the impression were from men were actually from women, so my overall bias that what I read was posted by men hasn't been specifically challenged.

It's a personal bias that is a little disconcerting, and that I'm trying to work on.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2014, 11:24:54 AM »

There's a metaphor here somewhere.

Better living through transitivity? I don't know. Bonus points if anyone can work the fragment "assity" in to this.

I just assumed it was my own ingrained bias.  I default to assuming male unless there are specific clues in the picture, name or post to indicate otherwise.  As many other's have mentioned I've been surprised before, however, I haven't necessarily gone back and reread every thread to see how many responses I had the impression were from men were actually from women, so my overall bias that what I read was posted by men hasn't been specifically challenged.

It's a personal bias that is a little disconcerting, and that I'm trying to work on.

In regards to assuming male by default, even I catch myself doing that from time to time despite my transgendered status. There is still that undercurrent of misogyny (and other irrationalities) from society, even if our conscious selves know better, that our lizard brains still pick up on.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »
I am not a fugly dude with big ears.  But I find that picture amusing because it contrasts with the substance of what I write.

The internet is the one place in my life where I genuinely don't care what gender someone is.  Humans are divided into genders for the purpose of facilitating each individual's procreative efforts, and we've created cultural roles around that otherwise arbitrary division.  I'm not going to procreate with strangers on the internet, so gender seems irrelevant.  Strike that, it seems ridiculous.

Ideas should stand on their merit, not the perceived cultural status of the originator.  How about we all put our age/race/sex in our sig files so that no one has to actually read our posts, and can instead prejudge the merits of their content based on our own prejudices?  Or even better, how about we all put our current net worth in there, so we can have a nice numeric scale for evaluating your value as a human being, because we all know that dollars are the only way to measure value?

Please don't tell  me your gender, or age, or political affiliation, of feelings about petunias.  The free exchange of ideas that the internet is supposed to enable thrives on the relative anonymity of participants in discussions like these.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
Sol: We can all see your age.

UNLESS ITS A LIE.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »
I am not a fugly dude with big ears.  But I find that picture amusing because it contrasts with the substance of what I write.

The internet is the one place in my life where I genuinely don't care what gender someone is.  Humans are divided into genders for the purpose of facilitating each individual's procreative efforts, and we've created cultural roles around that otherwise arbitrary division.  I'm not going to procreate with strangers on the internet, so gender seems irrelevant.  Strike that, it seems ridiculous.

Ideas should stand on their merit, not the perceived cultural status of the originator.  How about we all put our age/race/sex in our sig files so that no one has to actually read our posts, and can instead prejudge the merits of their content based on our own prejudices?  Or even better, how about we all put our current net worth in there, so we can have a nice numeric scale for evaluating your value as a human being, because we all know that dollars are the only way to measure value?

Please don't tell  me your gender, or age, or political affiliation, of feelings about petunias.  The free exchange of ideas that the internet is supposed to enable thrives on the relative anonymity of participants in discussions like these.

This sounds like something a guy would say (sorry, couldn't resist) :)

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »
A part of why I made this poll is because of this blog post http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09/17/a-one-question-survey-who-are-the-mustachians/

It showed that a lot of people were in engineering/science/software/computer jobs that are preconcieved as primarely male dominated industries. (I work in an engineering field and there are 4 women in my department of 42 engineers.. thats only 9.5%)

In going through the forum in the last couple months (I haven't been here long), I was frequently surprised to find more woman than the above would indicate.  I think its pretty cool that the poll is showing the forum is closer to world population ratios. 

As for the posting count, I wouldn't be surprised if more and more woman are joining up compared to in the beginning (though I could be wrong).  I frequenently hang out in the journals section and there are a ton of woman there!

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »
So we can exchange all ideas, except for petunia affiliation (I'm against)?  FWIW, I don't think I judge ideological merit based on gender, which is why it is so odd that I always want to assign a default gender.  I even assign gender to numbers and letters in my head, maybe I should have been born into a society where the language also assumes gender for inanimate objects.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2014, 01:16:30 PM »

On this forum at least social conservatives are pretty heavily outnumbered by liberals, while fiscal conservatives dominate.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/mustachian-voting/

I live and work in a fairly politically red area, and the notion that liberals are all tax-and-spend types that cannot balance a checkbook runs pretty deep here.  In my experience however that hasn't been the truth of it.  Neither side has a monopoly on fiscal irresponsibility, and when faced with a balanced budget amendment (as we have on the state level in Virginia) both sides color between the lines fairly well.  The last one who did not, James Gilmore (R), wrecked the budget by cutting taxes just before a long-overdue recession arrived.  It took a Democrat - Mark Warner - to clean up his sizable mess.  Republicans did not gain the Governor's mansion again until "Bob's for Jobs" McDonnell won in 2009, and, um, he's been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:18:11 PM by hybrid »

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
A part of why I made this poll is because of this blog post http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09/17/a-one-question-survey-who-are-the-mustachians/

It showed that a lot of people were in engineering/science/software/computer jobs that are preconcieved as primarely male dominated industries. (I work in an engineering field and there are 4 women in my department of 42 engineers.. thats only 9.5%)
*snip*

I am another woman in a male-dominated role.  I think we are somewhere near 10% women now in my role, but it it growing.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »

*snip*

I am another woman in a male-dominated role.  I think we are somewhere near 10% women now in my role, but it it growing.

I have a PhD in electrical engineering.   'nuff said.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »

*snip*

I'm beginning to wonder if all the female engineers are here. :-)

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »

*snip*

Sure seems like it!  Sweet deal! :-D

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »

Sure seems like it!  Sweet deal! :-D

I'm a geologist.  In my province, I actually belong to the same professional association as the engineers though.

Female geologists are common enough throughout the province, but in my particular role (field work on the rigs) we are at somewhere between 10-20% (I actually discussed this with my co-worker last night, and he thought I was actually underestimating our numbers).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
I must be the only one not overly surprised by this.

In my experience, the 20s and 30s demographic fairly overwhelmingly has women taking a lot more responsibility for their lives than men. I don't know what the age/gender breakdown looks like, but my uneducated opinion would be this is part of the cause.

You don't just accidentally end up living a MMM type lifestyle or having those goals. Given the men/women I know in their 20s and 30s I would say women are more likely to "get behind" this sort of lifestyle.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
Male..

The name simply comes from me loving to watch all 4 of my kids play soccer. When we got married my wife and i said since we were both in sports (Myself a pro-am basketball player and Wife D-1 Volleyball) that we would introduce them to all sports and not push them into what we played BUT NO MATTER WHAT WE WILL NOT BE SOCCER PARENTS....long and short of it Never say Never! heard that before. I can say we appreciate it alot more than if they would of played what we did because 1) we learned the sport with them and 2) don't have expectations that alot of parents due that push there kids into what they want to live their lives through.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2014, 02:59:59 AM »
"I don't get why you are casting this in terms of a gender battle, but ya, I'm with beards over babies too!"