Are you female or male?

Female
196 (54%)
Male
161 (44.4%)
N/A :-P
6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 343

Author Topic: What gender are you?  (Read 37124 times)

engineerjourney

• Bristles
What gender are you?
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:57:22 PM »
Just want to see if this poll can help take a snapshot of the forum.  I know I sometimes assume gender based on user name and have been proven wrong many times!  I am starting to find that there are more and more females than I thought on the forums.  I am sure this poll has been done before but no harm in doing it again (would also love a link to any old ones).  Feel free to post your gender too so we can connect it with your user name.  Probably a surprise to some based on my user name but I am female!!

engineerjourney

• Bristles
Re: What gender are you?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »
oh my, a mystery gender already! :-D

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »
Boobs. I chose a female avatar so that I wouldn't have to tell people I'm a girl.

There are so many posters here who I love reading and have no idea if they're male or female. Some really surprise me when they announce their gender.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:46:55 PM »
Poll confirms females more likely to answer polls

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »

That made me laugh!   And I am a woman who answered this poll!

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:19:57 PM »
hahaha, its almost even now!

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
or:
Poll confirms females more likely to answer polls about gender.
(edit ad lib)

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »
You get one guess

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:41:42 AM »
Female! My user name means noodle head... Hence the avatar of a dog with noodles on its head.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 12:56:25 AM »

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 04:05:13 AM »
Excuse my extreme thickness. There are a few user names that took me far longer than it should have to work out what they were supposed to be:

Apologies to:

wtjb-at-man
are-bel-spy
match-ewed
tooq-k4u-22

yes yes before you start I get them all now. But honestly if one brave punter didn't stick their neck out and actually start a thread asking about ARebelSpy I would still be looking at it wrong.

Gender you can normally tell from writing style. And from the type of advice dished out - I reckon most of the harshest facepunches are delivered by the ladies. But yeah there are a few names and styles that can be ambiguous.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 04:13:49 AM »
I might add, when I first started reading the boards a couple of posters did get me really confused when they referred to their same sex partners.

Ingrained assumption when one refers to a female/male partner is that the poster is male/female. It's not always the case :)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 07:31:05 AM »
Excuse my extreme thickness. There are a few user names that took me far longer than it should have to work out what they were supposed to be:

Apologies to:

wtjb-at-man
are-bel-spy
match-ewed
tooq-k4u-22

yes yes before you start I get them all now. But honestly if one brave punter didn't stick their neck out and actually start a thread asking about ARebelSpy I would still be looking at it wrong.

Gender you can normally tell from writing style. And from the type of advice dished out - I reckon most of the harshest facepunches are delivered by the ladies. But yeah there are a few names and styles that can be ambiguous.

Darn.  With the exception of Arebelspy, I don't get any of the usernames above. 

Also, you can tell gender from writing style?  I can't.  And I used to be a writing tutor.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 07:36:37 AM »

Apologies to:

wtjb-at-man
are-bel-spy
match-ewed
tooq-k4u-22

Actually mine is just one solid name. My grandfather only had one tooth and didn't speak English well (read at all). So he was not used to the English version of Matthew and it'd come out garbled and sounding like "matchewed". Sadly nothing clever at all, just a personal reminder of memories.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 07:38:53 AM »
Obviously I'm a lady type person. But Elaine isn't my real name. Or even part of my real name- named it after Seinfeld, because I'm...timely.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 08:27:16 AM »
Too late. It'll forever be: ahh-re-BEL-spee

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 08:49:06 AM »

Yep, particularly because we know we're a minority here (or I think we are, anyway?)

I might add, when I first started reading the boards a couple of posters did get me really confused when they referred to their same sex partners.

Ingrained assumption when one refers to a female/male partner is that the poster is male/female. It's not always the case :)

I'm a lady with a wife, so pretty much the whole of the internet assumes I'm a dude.

Nancy

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 10:27:07 AM »
Obviously I'm a lady type person. But Elaine isn't my real name. Or even part of my real name- named it after Seinfeld, because I'm...timely.

Similar situation. Female here, but my name is not Nancy, and I actually dislike the name Nancy. ("I'm the whale biologist. Though personally, I hate whales.") I can't remember what possessed me at the time. I think I wanted to sound like an old lady- a regulah ol' broad ovah heah. So there's that.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 10:36:31 AM »
I even have my gender in my signature, but people assume I have a hot dog, instead of a bun.

;)

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 10:42:14 AM »

Similar situation. Female here, but my name is not Nancy, and I actually dislike the name Nancy. ("I'm the whale biologist. Though personally, I hate whales.") I can't remember what possessed me at the time. I think I wanted to sound like an old lady- a regulah ol' broad ovah heah. So there's that.

Especially Mushu!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 10:46:08 AM »
I have Girl in my name, so there you go.  But it's a bit misleading, since I'm 42 and far from my girl days.  I've used that name for a while and still feel and look young.  I suppose I should change that to KulshanMaam or something one of these days.  :/

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »
I answered NA. I am a female who transitioned to male, then transitioned back to female, although I still don't feel like a girl. My partner is a female to male.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »
"I can bring home the bacon,
Fry it up in a pan,
And never let you forget you're a man,
'Cause I'm a wooooooooooman!"

How many remember that tv ad?  ;-)

I should make that a sig.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
I even have my gender in my signature, but people assume I have a hot dog, instead of a bun.

;)

Ha! Hot dog for me.

Timely post as I've been reading a lot of posts where people are "ass"uming male posters based on some arbitrary info in the post, or some pre-conceived notion of gender roles. Hopefully this will open a few people's eyes a bit.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »
I answered NA. I am a female who transitioned to male, then transitioned back to female, although I still don't feel like a girl. My partner is a female to male.

I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing - how long were you in stage?

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
Do guys like to represent themselves with cute Paper Mario avatars? Probably not. :D

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »

;)

Ha! Hot dog for me.

Timely post as I've been reading a lot of posts where people are "ass"uming male posters based on some arbitrary info in the post, or some pre-conceived notion of gender roles. Hopefully this will open a few people's eyes a bit.

I just looked down and thought...tater tots. Haha, sorry everyone.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
I also thought this forum was 90% men because the posters often assume I am the husband (and not the wife).  Also, the discussions often invoke male-themed examples (cars, sports) instead of female (jewelry, kitchens) but maybe that is sexist.  I'm a NFL fan myself and don't wear jewelry.  And I actually don't like cooking that much.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
Crazy the high ratio of women on here.  I don't feel like I know any in the real world like you aggressively frugal minded ladies.  Even more mind blowing is the kind of progress we could make if my wife was one of you. 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »
I also thought this forum was 90% men because the posters often assume I am the husband (and not the wife).  Also, the discussions often invoke male-themed examples (cars, sports) instead of female (jewelry, kitchens) but maybe that is sexist.  I'm a NFL fan myself and don't wear jewelry.  And I actually don't like cooking that much.

Agree, I thought it was mostly male based on the themes.  More power to women then, in learning many traditional cross-gender fixes for homes, cars etc.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »
To be fair I'm not sure the polls are closed yet. I'm a little surprised to see the number of women so far, but only 180 votes right now so who knows where this will end up.

Even more mind blowing is the kind of progress we could make if my wife was one of you. 

+1 - I agree. Love my wife, and we balance each other out in many areas, but man it would be amazing to see what we could do financially if we were both truly frugal.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »

Agree, I thought it was mostly male based on the themes.  More power to women then, in learning many traditional cross-gender fixes for homes, cars etc.

I am actually bored by all of the above: cars, sports, jewelry, and kitchens.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »
LOL, I thought of that too, dragoncar, that women are simply more talkative and thus more likely to respond.

I chose my username so I wouldn't keep having to repeat my point of view (female, mom, lotsa kids).  Hmmm, maybe it's time for an avatar, like HappierAtHome

I remember pictures better than usernames. Just sayin'. If you want an improved chance of me remembering which lovely commentor you are - get a photo up there! :)

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »
I wonder if it seems more male here than it is because a lot of the women on here don't fit into a lot of female stereotypes? I could see that being the case. Same with the men, it's not a typical group. There's a lot less woman hate/sexism from the guys here than on your average forum- maybe because we're all more independent thinkers/people who question things?

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 12:07:52 PM »
My baseline opinion of anyone posting on these forums is instant respect.  We can work up or down from there, but "the cause" is unique and unifying to me so I tend to view this set of anonymous strangers through a more optimistic prism.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »
LOL, I thought of that too, dragoncar, that women are simply more talkative and thus more likely to respond.

I chose my username so I wouldn't keep having to repeat my point of view (female, mom, lotsa kids).  Hmmm, maybe it's time for an avatar, like HappierAtHome

I remember pictures better than usernames. Just sayin'. If you want an improved chance of me remembering which lovely commentor you are - get a photo up there! :)

I read a book awhile back about computer hackers.  It said something like "assume any women you meet online is actually a teenage boy laughing his ass off"

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
I wonder if it seems more male here than it is because a lot of the women on here don't fit into a lot of female stereotypes? I could see that being the case. Same with the men, it's not a typical group. There's a lot less woman hate/sexism from the guys here than on your average forum- maybe because we're all more independent thinkers/people who question things?

^ This. There is still some hate/sexism, but I think this is a pretty open-minded, free thinking group.

My baseline opinion of anyone posting on these forums is instant respect.  We can work up or down from there, but "the cause" is unique and unifying to me so I tend to view this set of anonymous strangers through a more optimistic prism.

^ And this. Even when we disagree, most of the time it's very respectful and people tend to see the other side of the argument.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 01:10:37 PM »

I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing - how long were you in stage?

5 years.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 02:19:50 PM »

About a month ago, I was changing out a bathroom faucet cartridge (accompanied by the toolbox - we call it "the" toolbox, but I picked it out so it's a lime green and it's got all my tools in it that I brought into the marriage) and the husband was doing the laundry and mentioned he needed to dust and vacuum... and he commented that it's a good thing that we don't have any gender-specific chore hang-ups... and then we both started laughing.

So yeah, I'd kind of agree with that. We look like a typical guy/gal couple, but we're hang-up free and pretty broad minded people.

I mostly don't assume anyone is anything - I think I'm weird in that unless there's an obvious tell like having a pic of themselves or something in their name or posting, I sort of don't read into them being a specific gender. Ya'll could all be highly articulate plant life for all I know. :)

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »
About a month ago, I was changing out a bathroom faucet cartridge (accompanied by the toolbox - we call it "the" toolbox, but I picked it out so it's a lime green and it's got all my tools in it that I brought into the marriage) and the husband was doing the laundry and mentioned he needed to dust and vacuum... and he commented that it's a good thing that we don't have any gender-specific chore hang-ups... and then we both started laughing.

So yeah, I'd kind of agree with that. We look like a typical guy/gal couple, but we're hang-up free and pretty broad minded people.

I mostly don't assume anyone is anything - I think I'm weird in that unless there's an obvious tell like having a pic of themselves or something in their name or posting, I sort of don't read into them being a specific gender. Ya'll could all be highly articulate plant life for all I know. :)

Haha reminds me of some chores between my wife and I (I'm a hot dog). A lot of them are traditional roles (I do home improvements, she loves cooking) but I do the sewing and ironing, she deals with bugs. I hate bugs!

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »
To be fair, it's 2014, I can't imagine a lot of people who are in Generation Y having a ton of issues with "gender roles". My girlfriend and I both work full time and split bills evenly. She recently tightened down the bathroom faucet handle and installed a new toilet seat I bought. We both enjoy cooking and share cooking duties pretty evenly.

She also "let's" me take out the trash and recycling, do whatever car work/maintenance is done, and do any dirty work in the yard. While she always does the laundry, does most of the cleaning, and spends too much money on clothes and at Bath and Body Works while I've effectively cut my discretionary and fun budget to close to $0.

So I guess some things change, some things stay the same. ;)

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »

So this post made me finally add a photo, but while I was doing it I found out that the forum software lets you choose an actor/actress/musician as a photo without uploading one. I'm very disappointed to learn that some of the people I thought had posted pictures of themselves were actually impersonating musicians!!! Here I was thinking we are all such an attractive bunch! ;-)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 02:41:15 PM »

Haha reminds me of some chores between my wife and I (I'm a hot dog). A lot of them are traditional roles (I do home improvements, she loves cooking) but I do the sewing and ironing, she deals with bugs. I hate bugs!

lol.  We're reasonably traditional gender roles (in part because until marrying DH, I didn't really own a car or home to fix, in part because I like crafting, sewing, and in part because left to his own devices it'd be takeout every meal), but I had to clean up the recent "present" his cat left us.  Back end of a mouse, bits & pieces of the rest, and the part that the cat ate that didn't agree with her...  This despite the fact that DH has a grad degree where he had to play with lab mice for 7 years!  Apparently he's terribly grossed out by wild mice.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »

Ya'll could all be highly articulate plant life for all I know. :)

I got a real belly laugh out of that one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:06:53 PM by meteor »

Peter

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 02:52:13 PM »
I highly doubt this forum is >50% women as the poll suggests. I would guess more like 20-30%.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »

I'm a lady with a wife, so pretty much the whole of the internet assumes I'm a dude.

Well now I see my own bias. I pretty much assumed most people on financial forums are usually political conservatives who don't live in my part of the country (SF bay area).  If this was a bay area forum, there probably would have been even more categories to choose from in the gender options. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:35:10 PM by meteor »

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »
... I had to clean up the recent "present" his cat left us.  Back end of a mouse, bits & pieces of the rest, and the part that the cat ate that didn't agree with her...  This despite the fact that DH has a grad degree where he had to play with lab mice for 7 years!  Apparently he's terribly grossed out by wild mice.

The agreement in our house is DW deals with insects, I deal with mammals. Heaven forbid there is ever a reptile somewhere in our house! We'll probably just keep hitting each other yelling "You deal with it!" until it leaves because of the noise.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »

The agreement in our house is DW deals with insects, I deal with mammals. Heaven forbid there is ever a reptile somewhere in our house! We'll probably just keep hitting each other yelling "You deal with it!" until it leaves because of the noise.

I (the wife) usually buries all dead animals (possums, coons,squirrels, cats, birds, etc) because my husband knows I used to work on the state highway and clean dead animals off the road and bury them.  (That was actually one of my favorite jobs.  You get to drive around all day and help animals find a place to rest in peace.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:24:22 PM by meteor »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »
I highly doubt this forum is >50% women as the poll suggests. I would guess more like 20-30%.

Considering 212 members have responded, and we only have 454 members who have posted more than 100 times (just using it as a quick and dirty for the significant members, not saying people who have less than 100 posts aren't, it's just useful as a line in the sand) it is entirely possible to have significant results.

Also if you're gonna go off of a guess wouldn't you just use global (or US) percentages as your guess? Making it about 50% which our results aren't far from.