Author Topic: What do you want your post-FI life to look like?  (Read 170818 times)

Saffron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What do you want your post-FI life to look like?
« on: August 15, 2020, 12:41:48 PM »
Something that I've been mulling over for the last couple of weeks is what I really want my life to look like post FI. I'm in my early 30s, in a stable relationship, and debt free working my way towards FI in my early 40s. I put together an rough outline of my idealized life would look like. What I really discovered is that with a hard nosed look, I'm pretty close to where I want to be with the exception of my 9-5, part time travel, government office job.

Some of the things that I want to do are within my grasp if I plan a bit better and try to be more focused on what really matters to me. Perhaps some of the things that I idealize during my post-FI life are not really things that I truly care about and the procrastination is because it isn't my real interest. Perhaps I really don't want to go to the gym and lift 3X and week. Perhaps I wouldn't get more joy from being able to sit down and read a book a week. The expanded possibilities of achieving FI and being able to remove myself from the daily work grind are somewhat frightening.

Anyway here is my somewhat anonymized "ideal Life" outline:

Work
o   “No Travel” job                       -Doable post management opportunity this Fall and Spring  I travel 1-2 times a month with work during non-pandemic times.
o   PT novel proofreading/editing gig      -Doable now. (Why not? Not sure how to get into the biz.)
o   PT Community Theatre volunteer               -Doable with a “no travel” job; Probably not compatible if/when I have young kids. I did this in HS and College and really miss it.
o   PT Bartender                                   -Doable with a “no travel” job; Probably not compatible if/when I have young kids. I love making cocktails at home. have some extrovert tendacies.
o   PT  job with SO's family business              -Doable near FI (Est. 43ish) They make industrial products and I have an science and engineering management background.

Living accommodations
o   Bike Friendly/ Near bike trail         -Requires a local move. I'm currently renting. I really like my neighbors and rental house. Maybe spend the $$ and get a bike rack?
o   Within 1 hr of metro city                 -Done.
o   Yard for Samwise the Corgi                 -Done.
o   Proper seasons                       -Kinda. Would like more winter than Washington DC offers.
o   Mountains/rivers                    -Rivers check. Mountains are a bit far. 

Physical Fitness
o   Bicycling around town                    -Why not? Inconvenient location 
o   Weekend hikes/ biking/ beach              -Can do now. (Why not now? I'm exhausted and busy. I can do this by better planning)
o   Rock Climbing gym (2x weekly, evening)   -After Covid
o   Gym/Running (afternoon,2-3x weekly)   -After Covid

Home life
o   Marriage                               -Working on it. Expect that we'll get engaged in the next year.
o   2 (?) Children                       -LT goal. Aiming for age 35-38. BF is on board with this.
o   Home cooked dinners 5-6 nights/wk       -Done. I'd like to do this with a little more panache though.
o      More homebrewing                                     -I've got one batch of cinnamon-orange mead in secondary, I'd like to have a few things going at once and have a small stockpile.
o   Be nearish to family                    -Done. All immediate family living within an hour currently. Wouldn't want to be more than 2 hr from my mother in her 60s.
o   Board games/ Social night w/ friends 1-2x /month    -After Covid; wasn't doing this before because I got frustrated herding cats. Maybe better advance planning would alleviate?
o   Read books  (Goal: 1 book /week)      -Close enough. 30 so far this year. Audio books while walking Sam the corgi have been great.
o   Time for games (WoW/board games)      -Could be better. I more find that I'm wasting time on reddit or Netflix in the evenings. I think it's from work exhaustion.
o   At least 2 yearly vacations (one US, one foreign)   -Doable with “No Travel” job post Covid
o   Backcountry camping 3-4x /yearly      -Why not? (Exhausted, especially after work travel, lack of pre-planning)

Dreams
o   Hike AT                          -Requires 5 mo sabbatical
o   Hike Via Francigena                    -Requires 3 mo sabbatical

Did I miss anything? Doing this exercise for myself has been really cathartic, especially during pandemic times. I honestly feel a bit energized about working towards doing some of the things I have on the list. I also realize that I may be a bit overly industrious about what one person can do in a day / month / year. 

I'm interested in seeing what other people want to do in their lives both before and after reaching FI too. If you've done something like this, I'd like to see your outline. 

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
Re: What do you want your post-FI life to look like?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »

Travel: With my wife, spend extended time in Latin American Countries and Spain, but be open to other parts of the world as well. 

When Home: Coaching and Teaching tennis where, when, and how I want.

Other Hobbies: Outside of tennis, playing guitar, piano, reading, cycling, swimming, cooking

Wtih DS and DD: Visit them and enjoy their hopefully amazing families, share in their good things in life, and help them when needed. 

Home Base: Either where we live now, or perhaps move if it makes sense with where our kids are at the time.  I'd like it to be a place near a major airport so traveling is simple and inexpensive, but only if it makes sense to do so. 

Philanthropy: Not religious, so I'll have to see what my wife and I see as the biggest needs when that time comes, and support those causes with our time and money.  Right now, our money is generally going towards helping immigrants receive affordable legal services so their rights are upheld.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 05:54:29 PM »
Travelling, gambling, and drinking.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 09:01:07 PM »
Travel: Probably 4-6 weeks yearly (international) and 4-6 weeks yearly (domestic)

When Home: Looking after kids, modding my supercar, playing video games

Other activities: writing, piano, exercise, seeing the parents and in-laws

Home base: something modest and unassuming in a nice suburb. Maybe get a hobby farm or something as well.

Philanthropy: undecided, would like to do something charitable but might do that by way of professional mentoring or something like that

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 05:26:38 AM »
DH and I are pretty much LeanFI right now and I retired in March.

I have no idea what my future will look like because I no longer plan very far ahead, but I can say what the past 5 months have looked like.

Most days I get up very early and do some writing. I have a few projects on the go, but nothing that I've committed to finishing or care if I do. I'm also doing another graduate degree that I don't need, mostly for fun and to keep myself out of trouble.

Most mornings about 8am, I took 2-3 hour long walks along the river while listening to audiobooks, or taking calls with people I professionally advise or mentor.

At home, DH and I live in a small, high-rise apartment with big windows, a huge balcony, and a killer view. This is our dream home, we just bought it last year. DH is working from home now, so when I get back from my walk, we have lunch together, and then lounge on the balcony, talk and take in the view. I do a ton of complicated cooking (former chef), which is a lot of fun. I've done all of the cooking for the last few years, but having more time for it is lovely. The house is also spotless, which is how I like it, and the needy animals love having people home most of the time.

DH and I go for a lot of bike rides and swims in the pool, and we have friends nearby in our Covid bubble whom we see regularly for bike rides, playing basketball of backgammon. We're going to their 6 guest wedding today. I talk regularly, much, much more than I used to with my friends and family.

I have several hours a week of volunteer work, mostly doing counselling/crisis counselling, which is in high demand with Covid. I've talked to A LOT of suicidal people recently. I absolutely love having the appropriate skill set to handle that, it makes me feel very useful.

Overall, it's been fantastic. Between Covid and the graduate degree, it's forced me to slow down, decompress, and really settle into how full a simpler life can feel.

That said, it's all over in just over a week. I'm quitting the graduate degree, and committing to an extremely intense full time project for at least the next 5-7 years, which is going to be absolutely, completely insane and eat up almost all of my energy, but this is not the kind of project you pass on, and it's the *only* thing that could possibly drag me back to full time paid work, which I haven't done in years.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 05:46:19 AM »
That said, it's all over in just over a week. I'm quitting the graduate degree, and committing to an extremely intense full time project for at least the next 5-7 years, which is going to be absolutely, completely insane and eat up almost all of my energy, but this is not the kind of project you pass on, and it's the *only* thing that could possibly drag me back to full time paid work, which I haven't done in years.

Can you share any more about this project? The description is certainly intriguing!

Is it a paid gig?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 06:31:52 AM »

Can you share any more about this project? The description is certainly intriguing!

Is it a paid gig?

I really can't share much, but yes, it's very well paid.

I thought my old role was highly prestigious and well paid, but this makes that look like cute day job.

julia

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 07:22:40 PM »
Living in a remote and desolated place in the mountains or the Scottish coast, in a tiny cottage with a giant vegetable garden, painting the landscape some days, making love with my husband in the swaying grass in the wind other days.

Saffron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 05:53:36 PM »
Living in a remote and desolated place in the mountains or the Scottish coast, in a tiny cottage with a giant vegetable garden, painting the landscape some days, making love with my husband in the swaying grass in the wind other days.

Edit: Nah, scratch that, I think that I want @julia 's plan instead. (Your husband's going to be busy)

I'm with ya'll.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 06:59:43 PM »
Something that I've been mulling over for the last couple of weeks is what I really want my life to look like post FI. I'm in my early 30s, in a stable relationship, and debt free working my way towards FI in my early 40s. I put together an rough outline of my idealized life would look like. What I really discovered is that with a hard nosed look, I'm pretty close to where I want to be with the exception of my 9-5, part time travel, government office job.

Some of the things that I want to do are within my grasp if I plan a bit better and try to be more focused on what really matters to me. Perhaps some of the things that I idealize during my post-FI life are not really things that I truly care about and the procrastination is because it isn't my real interest. Perhaps I really don't want to go to the gym and lift 3X and week. Perhaps I wouldn't get more joy from being able to sit down and read a book a week. The expanded possibilities of achieving FI and being able to remove myself from the daily work grind are somewhat frightening.

Work
o   “No Travel” job                       -Doable post management opportunity this Fall and Spring  I travel 1-2 times a month with work during non-pandemic times.
o   PT novel proofreading/editing gig      -Doable now. (Why not? Not sure how to get into the biz.)
o   PT Community Theatre volunteer               -Doable with a “no travel” job; Probably not compatible if/when I have young kids. I did this in HS and College and really miss it.
o   PT Bartender                                   -Doable with a “no travel” job; Probably not compatible if/when I have young kids. I love making cocktails at home. have some extrovert tendacies.
o   PT  job with SO's family business              -Doable near FI (Est. 43ish) They make industrial products and I have an science and engineering management background.

Living accommodations
o   Bike Friendly/ Near bike trail         -Requires a local move. I'm currently renting. I really like my neighbors and rental house. Maybe spend the $$ and get a bike rack?
o   Within 1 hr of metro city                 -Done.
o   Yard for Samwise the Corgi                 -Done.
o   Proper seasons                       -Kinda. Would like more winter than Washington DC offers.
o   Mountains/rivers                    -Rivers check. Mountains are a bit far. 

Physical Fitness
o   Bicycling around town                    -Why not? Inconvenient location 
o   Weekend hikes/ biking/ beach              -Can do now. (Why not now? I'm exhausted and busy. I can do this by better planning)
o   Rock Climbing gym (2x weekly, evening)   -After Covid
o   Gym/Running (afternoon,2-3x weekly)   -After Covid

Home life
o   Marriage                               -Working on it. Expect that we'll get engaged in the next year.
o   2 (?) Children                       -LT goal. Aiming for age 35-38. BF is on board with this.
o   Home cooked dinners 5-6 nights/wk       -Done. I'd like to do this with a little more panache though.
o      More homebrewing                                     -I've got one batch of cinnamon-orange mead in secondary, I'd like to have a few things going at once and have a small stockpile.
o   Be nearish to family                    -Done. All immediate family living within an hour currently. Wouldn't want to be more than 2 hr from my mother in her 60s.
o   Board games/ Social night w/ friends 1-2x /month    -After Covid; wasn't doing this before because I got frustrated herding cats. Maybe better advance planning would alleviate?
o   Read books  (Goal: 1 book /week)      -Close enough. 30 so far this year. Audio books while walking Sam the corgi have been great.
o   Time for games (WoW/board games)      -Could be better. I more find that I'm wasting time on reddit or Netflix in the evenings. I think it's from work exhaustion.
o   At least 2 yearly vacations (one US, one foreign)   -Doable with “No Travel” job post Covid
o   Backcountry camping 3-4x /yearly      -Why not? (Exhausted, especially after work travel, lack of pre-planning)

Dreams
o   Hike AT                          -Requires 5 mo sabbatical
o   Hike Via Francigena                    -Requires 3 mo sabbatical

Did I miss anything? Doing this exercise for myself has been really cathartic, especially during pandemic times. I honestly feel a bit energized about working towards doing some of the things I have on the list. I also realize that I may be a bit overly industrious about what one person can do in a day / month / year. 

I'm interested in seeing what other people want to do in their lives both before and after reaching FI too. If you've done something like this, I'd like to see your outline.

I really like this idea, and separately, I also really like your list :-) We're moving to the DC area soon, perhaps we should compare notes on which areas have the best bike trail accessibility...

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 07:00:41 PM »
This is a great exercise, thanks for posting!  And I love your dog's name, OP.

Work
o  Part time in person job for socialization and keeping my schedule regular     -Currently WFH, which is more compatible with having a small child for me.
o   PT  Volunteer psychology research               -Have done before and was looking into starting again when COVID hit. 
o   Possibly maintain a rental in our neighborhood             

Living accommodations
o   On the lake with husband's family      -already there, renting
o   Own/Build a home        -working on obtaining land/navigating permits

Physical Fitness
o   Kayak/Rowing Machine                    -Why not?  Hard to find time/take daughter with me.  Also, we don't have room for a rowing machine
o   Walks, swims, gardening             -Do these fairly regularly now.

Home life
o   Maintain Marriage
o   Be available to help/visit daughter       We'll probably be FI around the time she finishes college(or trade school, or whatever), so I like the idea of being available to help her settle into adulthood.
o   Fancy Cooking a couple times a week    -Why not?  Daughter (age 5) won't eat most of what I consider fun to cook. 
o   Make Hard Cider and wine                                     -working on obtaining supplies for hard cider now.  Going to try to learn that first,, then try wine.
o   Be more social          -Most of my friends are from college and all of them live 2-4 hours away.  Something else I'd been slowly working on pre-COVID
o   Read books and maybe write one         -I read quite a bit now, but can't find the time to sit down and concentrate on writing. 
o   Around 3-4 weeks of travel a year        -Mostly time constraints now, DH gets about 2 weeks vacation, which he pretty much has to take most of around Christmas time, since the plant shuts down for maintenance.

Dreams
o   Become a counselor.  If I could do this I'd never retire, but I can't do it now with my mental illness as is.  I work hard on that though, so maybe someday.
o   Make a significant contribution to science.  I've been published, but for minor roles.  I'd like to do something like design and run a study.  Don't know how feasible that is as an individual, but I'll see what can come of volunteering.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 09:22:18 PM »
Work
o   Contract work/consulting in my field if the hours are really flexible
o   Volunteer or some kind of staffing at a high school
o   Teach financial readiness at the local military base           

Living accommodations
o Own a home with solar and other low energy options; possibly get a pet
o We have it narrowed down to two cities in two different states
o One is a farm town a short drive from where all my friends live in a big city and most of DW's family; HCOL, but great weather
o Second choice is a medium sized city with moderate to high COL with DS's favorite cousin; better job prospects if I want/need to work; very cold and snowy winters; easier to be left alone by politics and people in general

Physical Fitness
o  Some weights and a cardio machine of some kind in the house
o  Walking or bike riding

Home life
o   DS will be going into high school when I FIRE. I want to be available to him as much as possible
o  Spend lots of time with friends/family that I've missed over the years

Dreams
o   Nothing fancy. Enjoy a quiet life and do some traveling.
o Grow some vegetables and a fruit tree.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 10:19:48 PM »
I'd still be teaching and writing, and there would be grandchildren.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 07:42:10 PM »
I'm only 18 months from RE (will RE at 44) so I have pretty clear picture:

First 5 years of RE (Hubs will still be working):
1. Do some cool projects in the veggie/ fruit garden
2. Volunteer more with Dress for Success, my local food cupboard and a Tiger rescue facility near me (Carolina Tiger Rescue)- if you ask me about Tiger King, I will cut you- lol.
3. Build my youtube channel
4. Train for an complete my 2nd ultra marathon (50 mile distance)
5. Read all the books I have stockpiled and staring at me from my bedside table
6. Learn Italian
7. maybe take on PT consulting gigs

After 5 years (kids out of the house)
1. Downsize house but up size land to allow for a huge garden
2. slow travel during winter
3. maybe do part time consulting gigs
4. teach ESL to adults because it's fun

I'm a pretty simple person and easily entertained so it's a simple plan

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:50 AM »
It strikes me that most of the things OP (and other posters) list as desires for after FIRE are available now.  That would be true for me as well.  The only thing holding me (and many of you) back is the time and energy to do them all. 

For me, some of the reason I don't do everything I want to do is a personal choice of prioritization and some is just not having enough time to fit working full time in with everything else I want to do.  Another piece is being tired so I veg out in front of the TV more than I should. 

The big attraction of FIRE for me is basically just having more time and energy to do the things I want to do. 

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 03:39:17 PM »
We think we've just about figured it out.  That might mean it's time for us to change our rules again.

Something that I've been mulling over for the last couple of weeks is what I really want my life to look like post FI.

It strikes me that most of the things OP (and other posters) list as desires for after FIRE are available now.  That would be true for me as well.  The only thing holding me (and many of you) back is the time and energy to do them all. 

For me, some of the reason I don't do everything I want to do is a personal choice of prioritization and some is just not having enough time to fit working full time in with everything else I want to do.  Another piece is being tired so I veg out in front of the TV more than I should. 

The big attraction of FIRE for me is basically just having more time and energy to do the things I want to do.
I think the biggest issue with planning for FI is making the time to do the planning... especially with all of the other distractions in the average workweek.

It’s hard enough to dedicate the mental bandwidth to the exercise, let alone to devote a significant amount of effort on it:
https://the-military-guide.com/the-fog-of-work/

I retired from U.S. military active duty in 2002, and I’ve been consistently unemployed for over 18 years.  Here’s a few big-picture perspectives that I’ve learned to appreciate during the last 6658 days:

1.  Your FI timescale moves more slowly than your working years.  Things that you would have blazed through in a week at work may take a month of thoughtful part-time effort during FI.  A month during your working career could be a year during FI.

This is your chance to experiment with different ideas and to develop a new set of habits.  If you rush around during your FI days checking things off your list and then kick back at 5 PM, you might be doing it wrong.

In our FI family we’ve taken the mantra of working on a project for 20 minutes a day.  (If you get into the flow, then a couple hours might be all right.  Or maybe you stop when you begin to sweat.)  Instead of planning for a day of work, we plan for a day of leisure interrupted by popping up from our indolence to do some work.  I start my mornings with the things I enjoy (like writing, surfing, and reading) before tackling the things which have to be done.

2.  When you were a young adult planning the next 10 years of your life, did any of it turn out the way you expected-- let alone on your timeline?

Then why would it work that way during FI?

Sure, make plans.  However reassess those plans every 2-5 years and come up with a new plan. 

I had no idea that I’d enjoy surfing as much as I do.  I knew that we’d want to travel, but I never thought that we’d do it for 4-5 months of the year-- and that we wouldn’t even (*gasp*) bother tracking how much time or money we spent on it.

3.  Everyone’s more physically ambitious about their FI goals.  You’re going to run that marathon, join a Crossfit box, build your home gym, hike the Appalachian Trail, and lose 20 pounds.

Except that during the first month of this plan, you overtrain and then injure yourself.

Refer back to the first point about slowing down a little and taking a more gradual approach.  You still need to do cardio & strength, but start slow/light and give yourself plenty of time to build up.  Pretend that you’re finally recovering from a chronic disease (“workplace stress”) and let your body set the pace without beating yourself up.

Work
Instead of “learn to do a thing and then get better at it”, I’d limit yourself to “try these things.”  If you’re not immediately hooked by something (which derails the rest of your list) then simply move on to the next thing and try it.  As you try stuff, your “Try It” list might actually get longer.

Whatever you’re exploring, you don’t have to be efficient or even very effective at it.  You just have to experience it and enjoy it.  You have plenty of time to decide about committing.  If it’s not a “Heck, yeah!!” response then I’d move on to something else.

If you are hooked by something, then do a deep dive into it on your own terms & timeline.  I’m perpetually amazed by how much I can research from Google queries and YouTube videos.

Volunteer before you sign up for a commitment, and insist on only 1-2 hours a day with 1-2 days a week.  If the people you’re working with want more than that, it’s unfair of you to agree to their terms and then burn out in two months.  You also don’t want to lock yourself into anything when you’ve just become free to explore the entire world. 

Living accommodations
I’ve lived in Hawaii for over half of my life, but we never expected that when we first saw the islands.  (It was just another homeport, and it wasn't even our first pick.)  As far as I can tell, I’m going to spend the rest of my life here for the climate and the culture.  I’ve gone back to my hometown and to the places where my parents spent the rest of their lives, and... nope.  I’m never living back there again.  If anything, my daughter & her spouse (and their baby daughter) are returning to Hawaii.

Every time we visit a new country, we find ourselves asking “Could we live here?”  In most cases the answer is “Yep!”, but it’s not Hawaii.  However we still need to do our due diligence in South America, Asia, and Australia.  Maybe I’ll find a better culture and even a better climate.

Don’t upheave your lifestyle when you first reach FI, but make the time to travel and explore.  If you’re seeking a new place to live, then spend a month or two there like a local instead of a two-week visitor.  If you want to explore a continent in an RV, then first rent one for a month. 

If you build a list of living criteria, then stay open to changing the list after you’ve seen 3-4 places.  You might not need to explore new places-- you might only need a new list.  I’ve really enjoyed starting with TheEarthAwaits and then coming up with new ideas.

You’ll evolve even after FI, and so will your criteria.  The “forever home” is a myth.  (Military families are particularly vulnerable to this fantasy, and it causes tremendous stress.)  If you find a place on your list, it’s all right to stay there for 10-20 years before exploring the rest of the list.  Even if you’ve found the ideal place, it’s all right to change your mind after a few years and go find a new ideal place. 

Physical Fitness
It’s a marathon.  Start by walking it.  Don’t overtrain, and don’t get hurt.

Consider whether you can do that thing for life, or at least have a Plan B.  I still tremendously enjoy taekwondo, but further knee injuries are not worth the price.  If I revert to coaching instead of competing, I’ll still risk hurting myself.  Instead I get enough of the competitive thrill from surfing-- and there’s no commitment to a team or a dojang.

I want to backpack Haleakala Crater again, but I can’t recover from the intensity quickly enough to endure the four-day experience.  (Let along avoid injury and a medevac.)  I’ll have to settle for afternoon hikes and maybe camping (but probably an AirBnB). 

Some days I can only handle an hour of yardwork (and an ibuprofen chaser) without adding an hour of surfing and another hour of repairing an appliance.  Maybe I’ll take a walk, but more likely I’ll spend the rest of the day with a recovery nap, stretching, and reading.

Home life
That seems like a very detailed and busy list.  Pace yourself.

In 2002 my detailed list was broken down into “very short range”, short range (a year), medium range (3-5 years), and “life.” 

Today the first two categories are in a calendar app of recurring items (we check it every month or few) plus milestones like “Sign up for Medicare” and one-time variables like “Start Social Security this year?”  The medium range is updated every few years (as my interests change). 

The life list has items like “Be a good spouse” and “Be a good parent.”  I’ve added “Be a good grandparent.”  I never really saw that one coming when I reached FI with a nine-year-old.

I’ve also added indulgent goals like “Be a good team member without showing leadership.”  (I’m still learning that I don’t have to optimize everything that I get involved in.)  Other goals include “Net worth higher than lifetime earnings”, “collect more pension than salary”, and “join the top ten of our college’s oldest living alumni list.”

A new item is “Get rid of stuff before your caregivers have to get rid of it for you.”

Dreams
Several years ago we traveled with friends who had a copy of the book “1000 Places To See Before You Die.”  We were wandering Italy for six weeks via a cruise ship and trains, and at every stop they checked the list.

That book darn near killed them, if I didn’t kill them first. 

My spouse and I really enjoyed the ship, and we put up with one of the cruise’s eight-hour shore excursions.  We spent way too much of the day being transported from one site to the next, and standing in line.  After enduring that one we opted for itineraries of a morning or an afternoon, or just exploring on our own.

During the train part of our trip we’d arrive at a town, and my spouse and I would want to relax on the beach (after a swim) or explore 1-2 sites.  We’d spend several hours of the day reading, writing, talking, or just watching videos.  We’d have one major goal (“visit the museum”), a few chores (groceries), and maybe a restaurant or pub.  After dinner we’d plan the next day in broad terms.

Our friends would rent a car and buzz all over a 50-mile radius to work the list.  They’d be up at the crack of dawn, grab a cup of coffee on the way out the door, eat three meals on the road, put 150 miles on the car, and get home at 8 PM... then start drinking.  Just being around them was exhausting.

Neither of us couples could understand why the other couple was living such a crazy lifestyle.  After that trip we needed a vacation.

As you’re pursuing a dream, break it down into smaller chunks to repeatedly test whether the dream is worth the work.  Do the parts you enjoy, and don’t feel obligated to endure the sucky parts just to get to the next enjoyable part.  I’d recommend “The Everyday Bucket List Book” by a friend who’s pursuing her own FI:
https://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Bucket-List-Book-Experiences-ebook/dp/B07T7HKB6W/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 03:41:18 PM by Nords »

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 09:28:09 PM »
ptf

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 09:47:20 PM »
We have stages in mind.

We started working to FI because we want to cruise in our sailboat. This will involve some ports and tourism, but we are also looking forward to anchoring in quiet coves and exploring by snorkel, kayak, foot and bike. I have mixed feeling about ocean crossings.

When we get tired of that, we are also interested in traveling by RV.

A third stage is a small home in a LCOL area with a good dance scene and access to lots of outdoor activities.

In reality, we both have chronic pain issues that could put any of this out of reach much sooner than we would hope, but that is one reason to start relatively young. A good dance scene will usually be around a good music scene, so there is always something.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 10:42:53 PM »
Nords what great wisdom as always. Pacing ourselves is important.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2020, 10:58:25 PM »
Thanks!  I think I'm drafting a blog post...

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2020, 11:49:11 PM »

Dreams
Several years ago we traveled with friends who had a copy of the book “1000 Places To See Before You Die.”  We were wandering Italy for six weeks via a cruise ship and trains, and at every stop they checked the list.

That book darn near killed them, if I didn’t kill them first. 

My spouse and I really enjoyed the ship, and we put up with one of the cruise’s eight-hour shore excursions.  We spent way too much of the day being transported from one site to the next, and standing in line.  After enduring that one we opted for itineraries of a morning or an afternoon, or just exploring on our own.

During the train part of our trip we’d arrive at a town, and my spouse and I would want to relax on the beach (after a swim) or explore 1-2 sites.  We’d spend several hours of the day reading, writing, talking, or just watching videos.  We’d have one major goal (“visit the museum”), a few chores (groceries), and maybe a restaurant or pub.  After dinner we’d plan the next day in broad terms.

Our friends would rent a car and buzz all over a 50-mile radius to work the list.  They’d be up at the crack of dawn, grab a cup of coffee on the way out the door, eat three meals on the road, put 150 miles on the car, and get home at 8 PM... then start drinking.  Just being around them was exhausting.

Neither of us couples could understand why the other couple was living such a crazy lifestyle.  After that trip we needed a vacation.

As you’re pursuing a dream, break it down into smaller chunks to repeatedly test whether the dream is worth the work.  Do the parts you enjoy, and don’t feel obligated to endure the sucky parts just to get to the next enjoyable part.  I’d recommend “The Everyday Bucket List Book” by a friend who’s pursuing her own FI:
https://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Bucket-List-Book-Experiences-ebook/dp/B07T7HKB6W/

I was traveling about 6 months during a sabbatical and would meet people that where doing three countries on five days of vacation. They managed to tick of the most talked about tourist places in those places and get a picture on Instagram but did they see anything? I think they spent most of their days on transportation. I did one tourist thing per day at max and thereafter studied, read, walked, relaxed and sat in coffee shops. If I am on a shorter trip I can do 1-2 things per day, sit in coffee shops, parks and take long meals. That is vacation and not running around trying to check of all the places in the guide book. I did that when I was 20 years and was in Rome for a week. After that I went to Florence and was sick of vacationing.

I also learned that after three months I was somewhat bored of traveling so I rented an apartment and took a pause from being a tourist. So three months of traveling is a good limit and I will never be a digital nomad. It is to exhausting. After about 5,5 months I had enough of traveling so I booked a ticket home. My point is that I could have never learned that the dream of being a digital nomad would not have worked for me if I had not tried. What I will test next time is working from one place abroad during winter.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 11:10:39 AM »
Thanks!  I think I'm drafting a blog post...
I agree.  I saw this on the "best posts" thread.  It makes you think about current life, not even FI life.

Saffron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2020, 12:12:22 PM »

Yeah. That's kind of what I discovered when writing out my list. If I didn't work so many hours and have so much work travel, I'd be a lot happier. And maybe have the mental energy to do some of the other volunteering, side gigs, and other activities I listed out.

We think we've just about figured it out.  That might mean it's time for us to change our rules again.

Sempai noticed me! I think your critiques were pretty fair. A lot of what I've got in the plan can be split between short, middle, and long term. When I rewrite this, I'll probably make those distinctions. And yeah, I wrote a pretty detailed (and exhausting!) list. Some of the things I have listed, especially in the PT work and fitness departments aren't meant to be concurrent or forever goals. I'd break myself, as you mentioned. I also will probably change my mind or change emphasis on things as time goes on.  Thanks for the thoughtful reply. 

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 12:25:40 PM »

Sempai noticed me! I think your critiques were pretty fair. A lot of what I've got in the plan can be split between short, middle, and long term. When I rewrite this, I'll probably make those distinctions. And yeah, I wrote a pretty detailed (and exhausting!) list. Some of the things I have listed, especially in the PT work and fitness departments aren't meant to be concurrent or forever goals. I'd break myself, as you mentioned. I also will probably change my mind or change emphasis on things as time goes on.  Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
You asked great questions!  Thank you for priming the pump on a very useful thread.  These topics help me do some of my best thinking, or at least better writing.

And it's all Travis' fault.  He used the "military" keyword, so eventually I found this thread on a search.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 01:53:05 PM »
Work
o  Take over DW's family farm in the Midwest (corn, soybeans, wheat, hay, cattle)   
        -we already go back and help with harvest and other times when able                   
o  Maybe do some local PT trucking on the side       
        -recently starting driving PT with a local aggregate hauler so I don't lose my CDL skills... would prefer to own my own equipment someday                                                                 
o  Become a PT charter pilot or CFI (have always thought of opening and subsidizing my own flight school since prices are outrageous these days)         
        -already have PPL but haven't flown in a couple years... planning to get current this fall and use GI bill to get my instrument and commercial over the next 5 years

Living accommodations
o  Own a modest custom-built home near the farm
o  Ideally build on at least 5-10 acres (if we kept it small we'd try to buy other land to expand the farm)
o  Build a large shop to house fancier homebrewing setup and tractors

Physical Fitness
o  Cycling
        -already do this, could possibly decrease in RE due to more time for other things
o  Hiking on trips
        -already do this since we live next to Tahoe... the Midwest doesn't offer much hiking so this would be limited to trips during RE

Home life
o  Do more DIY projects (fun ones that aren't necessary)
o  Spend lots of time with family/friends in the area
o  Do lots of local flying and day/weekend trips within a few hr flight
o  Spend lots of time on the farm with DW and FIL

Dreams
o  Own an airplane (preferably a RV-7)
        -ideally this would happen prior to RE
        -would enjoy building an RV-7 in RE
o  Own a cabin in Steamboat Springs, CO
        -spend a couple months skiing during winter and cycling/hiking during summer
o  Travel as much as possible
        -can do a lot while we're still working
        -do multi-day/week cycling tours in Europe, NZ, and NAM (Scotland North coast 500 is at the top of the list!)
        -attend all 4 tennis grand slam events (plan on doing at least one while Federer, Serena, and Nadal are still playing)
o  Own/run a 360 or 410 sprint car occasionally
        -used to race micro sprints and never had the opportunity to move up before adult life took over
        -dirt track racing is arguably my biggest passion
o  Never shave again (retiring from military)

I think the most difficult part is managing these ambitions and anxiety over the next 16 years before I'm eligible for my active duty retirement. We already know we can save modest amounts, coast to FI by that time and have plenty of cash for our long-term goals and dreams, but I'm a natural optimizer and impatient as hell!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »
I've been on a sabbatical for two years and I only recently feel like I have recovered from work. I'm working on changing careers, but I also did a lot of volunteering and realized that it's not for me. I do like traveling (once I get there) but I don't anticipate wanting to travel full time or even part time.

My list now:
Adopt kids (hopefully one of them will have a baby so I can have a grandbaby, but don't tell anyone I said that.)
Adopt a dog
Renovate my kitchen, bathroom, and put in a second bathroom. I'm not sure if I want to do the work or hire out. Just thinking about it makes me feel tired right now.
Rebuild the shed and put in a gazebo (might happen before FIRE)
Continue to learn math. I'm not sure about this one. I'm curious how far I can push myself beyond calculus, but meh.
Do ballet. This is hard to do as a hobby as it takes intense training.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 04:57:58 PM »

You asked great questions!  Thank you for priming the pump on a very useful thread.  These topics help me do some of my best thinking, or at least better writing.

And it's all Travis' fault.  He used the "military" keyword, so eventually I found this thread on a search.

I always wondered how you seem to pop out of the shadows like Batman.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 09:38:31 PM »
My goal is a slow, simple, small life.  I want to be deeply connected to my people and my community.

Work: I'm already FIRE'd from what was my primary occupation as a stay at home mom and homeschooling parent, as my children are now college students.  I'm still a mom, of course, and the main homemaker, but I'm no longer making lesson plans and teaching.  We're somewhere between lean FIRE and moderate FIRE, and DH has decided to continue working.

I do the tasks most of us have to do whether we are FIRE'd or not.  I shop for, cook, and bake food.  I do laundry and other household chores.  The rest of my time is spent reading, knitting, sewing, doing embroidery, hanging out with the dogs, tending plants, etc.  Right now there aren't big things for me to do, because the rest of the household is still busy with work and school.  Post Covid I plan to return to volunteer activities.

Living accommodations:  We own our house outright.  Our area ticks off about 90% of our wants, with the exceptions being extreme summer heat, unhealthy air quality, earthquake risk, and traffic.  But traffic isn't a big deal most of the time, since we don't commute to work and rarely drive into bigger cities.  We are close to the beach/ocean, mountains, and desert.  Our location has a walk score of 84 "very walkable" and a bike score of 93 "biker's paradise" -- almost all errands are doable without a car (except in the extreme heat).  We have a nice yard for the dogs, and while the lots aren't huge, the houses aren't crowded together like many newer neighborhoods.  No homeowners's association.  Single story house which might be important as we age.  No pool because we don't want the upkeep costs or the higher insurance premiums.  We average over 275 sunny days per year (the downside is not enough water).  We live close to several affordable public colleges and universities, while also living in a college town (private university) with all of its cultural amenities.  Important to us, we live in an older, established town with a downtown core.  We have lower that U.S average violent crime, but higher than average property crime.

Really, even though we've considered leaving for cooler summers, we aren't sure the trade offs would be worth it.  And our FIRE plan included living here -- almost any change of location would increase our property taxes, unless we stay in state and make a lateral move at/after age 55.

Physical fitness: there are many local hills and mountains to bike in, as well as nature trails for walking/hiking.  Our neighborhood is safe to walk in.  We join a neighborhood pool each summer.  Stretching and bodyweight exercises can be done at home.

Community/Social: We belong to a local faith community (walking distance) and in the absence of Covid are quite involved in church community gatherings.  We know many of our neighbors.  We have a biking community.  We have extended family in the area (30 - 60 minutes from us).  Right now our main group is the four of us, and we enjoy movie nights, game nights, music nights, and more.

Hobbies: We've both developed hobbies we can do at home, his leaning toward music and tinkering with electronics, mine leaning toward the gentle domestic arts.  We both love to read.  We enjoy hanging out together on the front porch or back patio.  We like to walk together and with the dogs.  We attend outdoor concerts and local symphony performances.  We take day trips to the beach, mountains, and desert.

Travel: We're looking forward to seeing more of this country and continent, but don't have a major travel bug.  We like our travel to be low cost and slow -- we'd rather rent a place for a week or two at the beach or in the mountains than take tours and jump form place to place.  We did a cruise once, but it wasn't our thing.  We've taken many camping trips and have visited a dozen or so national parks, but in FIRE we think we'll skip the camping and stay in lodges.

I guess we really just want a life that's a little slower than average.  A great day for us is waking when we feel like it, sharing breakfast on the front porch, walking the dogs together, spending some time doing our own hobbies, sharing lunch, reading in companionable silence, making dinner together, perhaps watching a movie, playing a card or board game, or playing guitar and singing.  We might walk to the library.  If we're lucky there might be a choral performance we can attend (we love evensong).  On vacation we'd do many of the same things, just in another location, and we'd be sure to add in a few restaurant meals.

Dreams/Goals:  I'd love to raise another puppy while my oldest is still living at home.  I'd like to train a dog in agility.  I want to visit as many state parks as we can.  I want to get to know some of our neighbors better (easier post Covid).  There are friends in other states I want to visit.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2020, 11:01:36 PM »
I started a similar exercise earlier this year in the form of drafting a Get-A-Life tree. When the "present" section was the shortest and the "future" section was so long that I ran out of room, I knew that I probably won't struggle with boredom in FIRE.

Here's an abridged version that's organized by theme rather than by time --

Domestic bliss

- Clean and organize my house thoroughly. And actually KEEP it that way, dammit.
- Ditto with the landscaping. Actually grow some herbs and veggies rather than just think/talk about it.
- Experiment with fun or fancy food/cooking recipes again. Hand-pulled noodles? Yes please!
- Do more labor-intensive volunteering with the local Humane Society. We already do foster care, but I'd love to tackle orphaned newborn kittens.

Self-development

- Marathon training at higher mileages. Start working on that six-star medal (although Boston will probably remain a pipe dream unless I get a gene transplant).
- Regularly practice my musical instruments (piano, guitar), record songs, maybe write some original music.
- Learn useful DIY skills like sewing, bike maintenance, and minor household repair jobs.
- Study meteorology, economics, women's studies, and political science.

Fun experiences

- Read books, particularly scifi/fantasy again.
- Reacquaint myself with musical theater.
- Actually catch up on some pop culture.
- Play time-sink video games, just because I can.
- Learn how to dance. I'm interested in salsa, ballroom, and tap.
- Learn photography, and more creative arts in general.
- Learn to horseback ride, scuba dive, and maybe hike the Appalachian trail (these might be too hardcore for my blood).

I've always sucked at work/life balance because I go all-in, and when I'm working, work always wins out. I like my work, but feeling of FOMO is definitely growing as time passes. One of the aspects of FIRE that really appeal to me is the ability to slow down, immerse oneself in even mundane experiences, and be genuinely self-reflective, without the pressure of only having a limited amount of time before the day/weekend/holiday/arbitrary-time-limit ends. To that end, just doing the domestic list would be enough. To actually enjoy entertainment for its own sake, rather than for the unwinding that it offers from the stresses of the full-time job, would be a nice bonus.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 06:03:45 AM »
I just want no conference calls.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2020, 07:04:29 AM »
Similar to my current life, but without working

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »
Location: a custom-built place more or less in the boondocks but within 30-45 mins of the city.  Bigger yard so my current/future dogs can run freely.  House would have screened in porch, mature trees, but no bigger than ~1800 sqft.  Solar power with battery bank.  I am a weather nerd and love that we get basically every type of weather phenomenon here except hurricanes, so I don't think I'd move far.  Maybe I'll be singing a different tune in my 50s since it gets both bitterly cold in the winter and steamy hot and humid in the summer here.

Work: I have ideas but nothing really specific.  Maybe get back in to flying airplanes and volunteer that way.  We have a severe lack of personal financial education in the US; I would want to help change that in some way.

Hobbies: I've gotten into building and flying FPV freestyle drones over the last several years.  At least half the fun is planning and building them.  This has had the side effect that I've gotten pretty good at soldering and wiring together various printed circuit boards, as well as a better understanding of electronics in general.  I'd say I'm an average freestyle pilot, but currently am pushing myself to improve via competitions.  Not sure if FPV drones will still be a thing when I FIRE, but I'll find something to tinker with.

Physical fitness:  Currently I lift about two days a week with equipment at home, and do lots of walking (having an active dog helps).  Ideally I want to increase lifting to about 4 days a week.  I've discovered I really don't like running much, and have seen much greater physical changes from lifting vs. exhausting cardio.  Biking is fun though.

New skills:  I want to not suck at swimming.  I like to blame the fact that I'm a shorter guy with decent muscle mass so I just sink like a rock...but that's just an excuse.  Also I want to become fluent in Spanish; currently I can read and understand most written Spanish but I struggle with spoken Spanish.  So, some trips to Central America wouldn't hurt! 
I want to get better at training dogs as well.  I've had a blast training our current dog since she was a wee little puppy.  So fun to see them learn and grow.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2020, 09:44:47 AM »

Physical fitness:  Currently I lift about two days a week with equipment at home, and do lots of walking (having an active dog helps).  Ideally I want to increase lifting to about 4 days a week.  I've discovered I really don't like running much, and have seen much greater physical changes from lifting vs. exhausting cardio.  Biking is fun though.

New skills:  I want to not suck at swimming.  I like to blame the fact that I'm a shorter guy with decent muscle mass so I just sink like a rock...but that's just an excuse.
Also I want to become fluent in Spanish; currently I can read and understand most written Spanish but I struggle with spoken Spanish.  So, some trips to Central America wouldn't hurt! 
I want to get better at training dogs as well.  I've had a blast training our current dog since she was a wee little puppy.  So fun to see them learn and grow.

My husband has just taken up regular swimming and struggles with the same 'density' and lack of buoyancy (in fresh water, his 'float' point is about a foot below the surface).  His stroke is pretty good, and I've given him some coaching so that it is more efficient and smooth, but it seems to be mostly a matter of pure conditioning and kicking strength. 

The problem is, people who are very non-floaty need 3 elements in place to be able to swim well and comfortably for any amount of time: 1) A fairly high level of cardiovascular conditioning; 2) A really strong kick to drive them and help increase buoyancy; and 3) A very efficient and smooth stroke with good breathing technique b/c they naturally tend to burn more energy when swimming than 'floaty' types and thus need more air.  And it's hard when you start out with none or only one of these; my husband had decent technique when he started, but 50 yds of swimming would absolutely exhaust him. 

He's stubborn, so his cardio conditioning improved fast.  In the course of about 20 swims he went from being able to complete only 8 laps in 30 minutes to being able to complete 30 laps in 40 minutes.  At first, simple cardio improvement was his main focus, but as he's gained condition he has been able to focus more on technique and efficiency.

My next goal for him (if I can persuade him) is for him to really start strengthening his kick.  I want to get him into fins for this purpose (they also help with flotation), but we haven't had the chance to get them yet.

It's really fun to see his progress.  It's also interesting for me to help along someone who struggles with very different swimming challenges than I do (mine are all conditioning/strength related...I already have a super-efficient stroke and am perfectly 'floaty').

When we swim side by side, I naturally use a type of freestyle (hip-driven) that includes a second or two of glide and I take about 2/3rds as many strokes as he does (despite me being much shorter).  I swim a little faster than he does at standard cruising speed, but I can swim 40 minutes straight with no break at all. That would literally kill him, so he never does more than 2 consecutive laps, but instead does interval training with 20-30 seconds rest at the end of every lap.  He naturally has to swim with a different freestyle technique (shoulder-driven) than mine b/c he can't stay 'afloat' long enough to get the glide. 

Very interesting for sure.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 01:29:04 AM »
For the swimming issues, put on a swimming wetsuit. That will give updrift. Might not look great in a swimming pool, but you can use it in lakes.

I have been FIREd for half a year. That half year had some chaotic elements like house sale and moving to a rental house. Also a husband who had health issues. And Covid and travel restrictions.

One of my goals is to be able to travel and be in the right place at the right time for once. Like being at our cabin in the best skiing time for several weeks. This year, we were forbidden by law to visit our cabin in the best skiing time because of (nonsense) covid restrictions. For the rest I would like to be able to forage mushrooms, meaning you need to go where it rained. I would also like to go on many hiking trips. This year, we had some trips, but not quite as I thought.

I also have the hope to be able to recognize many more mushrooms than I do today, as I should have more time to look them up. I also learned to microscope them last year. In our current house, I have a seperate room for microscoping and I am already using it. Still, I often feel like there are not enough hours in a day. I also like to read amd do so a lot when I am on trips. But my goal is to read a lot at home too.

In the future, next year or two, I want a house near the coast,in a more quiet part of the country. With a big vegetable garden and access to clean fresh water (a stream or river). On walking or cycle distance from a town with grocery shops and library. And a great view and a forest on 5 min walking distance. And not too far travelling from places where I can meet others from my mushroom club occasionally.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:35:16 AM by Linea_Norway »

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2020, 06:41:51 AM »

New skills:  I want to not suck at swimming.  I like to blame the fact that I'm a shorter guy with decent muscle mass so I just sink like a rock...but that's just an excuse.
Also I want to become fluent in Spanish; currently I can read and understand most written Spanish but I struggle with spoken Spanish.  So, some trips to Central America wouldn't hurt! 

My husband has just taken up regular swimming and struggles with the same 'density' and lack of buoyancy (in fresh water, his 'float' point is about a foot below the surface).  His stroke is pretty good, and I've given him some coaching so that it is more efficient and smooth, but it seems to be mostly a matter of pure conditioning and kicking strength. 

The problem is, people who are very non-floaty need 3 elements in place to be able to swim well and comfortably for any amount of time: 1) A fairly high level of cardiovascular conditioning; 2) A really strong kick to drive them and help increase buoyancy; and 3) A very efficient and smooth stroke with good breathing technique b/c they naturally tend to burn more energy when swimming than 'floaty' types and thus need more air.  And it's hard when you start out with none or only one of these; my husband had decent technique when he started, but 50 yds of swimming would absolutely exhaust him. 

He's stubborn, so his cardio conditioning improved fast.  In the course of about 20 swims he went from being able to complete only 8 laps in 30 minutes to being able to complete 30 laps in 40 minutes.  At first, simple cardio improvement was his main focus, but as he's gained condition he has been able to focus more on technique and efficiency.

My next goal for him (if I can persuade him) is for him to really start strengthening his kick.  I want to get him into fins for this purpose (they also help with flotation), but we haven't had the chance to get them yet.

It's really fun to see his progress.  It's also interesting for me to help along someone who struggles with very different swimming challenges than I do (mine are all conditioning/strength related...I already have a super-efficient stroke and am perfectly 'floaty').

When we swim side by side, I naturally use a type of freestyle (hip-driven) that includes a second or two of glide and I take about 2/3rds as many strokes as he does (despite me being much shorter).  I swim a little faster than he does at standard cruising speed, but I can swim 40 minutes straight with no break at all. That would literally kill him, so he never does more than 2 consecutive laps, but instead does interval training with 20-30 seconds rest at the end of every lap.  He naturally has to swim with a different freestyle technique (shoulder-driven) than mine b/c he can't stay 'afloat' long enough to get the glide. 

That is very interesting.  I did take swimming lessons as a kid and always struggled with the simple back floats; I just didn't float well (or maybe my form was bad, not sure). 

A past girlfriend gave me some pointers once while swimming in the lake.  She was not even in that great of shape but effortlessly floated/swam through the water.  I did the side stroke (since I can't get the breathing rhythm down for the freestyle stroke), and was exhausted after about 20-30 yards.  I feel your husband's pain.

Interesting that I may have to "power through" my lack of buoyancy with conditioning.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2020, 09:59:11 AM »
Learning to breath correctly(to the side, without lifting your head up) in freestyle is crucial to pretty much everything going well.  If you breathe incorrectly, you can't really functionally even do the stroke correctly. And the inverse is also true.  If your stroke isn't basically correct, you won't be able to breath correctly b/c your timing will be all screwed up.  So professional coaching for a half dozen lessons might get you past that hurdle.  Usually the reason people aren't breathing correctly is they keep lifting their chin/head, looking forward, and not rotating their torso sufficiently from side to side. Once you fix that, the rest is mostly 'fine points' for efficiency.

You might try swimming with fins, which will increase flotation and allow you to slow your stroke down while you are learning, which can be useful for people who struggle with breathing and tend to panic for lack of air and throw their rhythm off. Or you could swim with a snorkel at first, so you aren't tempted to constantly lift your head into incorrect position to breathe.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 10:04:27 AM by wenchsenior »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2020, 10:35:36 AM »

That is very interesting.  I did take swimming lessons as a kid and always struggled with the simple back floats; I just didn't float well (or maybe my form was bad, not sure). 
Interesting that I may have to "power through" my lack of buoyancy with conditioning.
If it's any consolation, this is common among men with low body fat.  It can happen from race, from genetics, or from physical conditioning.  If you have all three in your background then you may be negatively buoyant.

I graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1982, and among our class of 1047 we had about 20 men who simply had very little reserve buoyancy.  The Navy feels pretty strongly that its servicemembers should be able to swim (or at least float), and one graduation requirement was treading water for 40 minutes in your khaki uniform (without shoes).  If you failed that test during your senior year (for whatever reason) then you joined the Rock Squad for additional after-hours practice.  It didn't matter how smart you were or whether you'd spend your entire military career in a desert-- you had to pass that test.

Many of these men were nationally-ranked athletes:  football, lacrosse, hockey, track & field, and crew.  Some were huge and others were short & scrawny, but they all had a very low percentage of bodyfat.   

One of my roommates was a Marine who rowed on the crew team and was in outstanding condition.  If he was swimming in fresh water he could take a deep breath, stop moving, and slowly sink to the bottom.  (He was neutrally buoyant in salt water.)  If he wanted to tread water then he had to constantly stay in motion by kicking and sweeping his arms, and he could do that for long enough to pass the 40-minute test-- but the instructors weren't happy with the level of effort he had to exert.

During his enlisted Marine combat swimmer training before USNA, one evolution required wearing a full utility uniform in the water (including boots).  After a few minutes of proving that they could tread water, they'd do it again with their ankles tied together.  After a few minutes of that, they'd also tie their hands behind their backs.  (By this point the students were getting pretty tired, which was the whole point of the evolution.)  Surviving the final part required constant dolphin-kicking with deep breaths of air when they surfaced.  My roommate explained that he wouldn't float under those conditions, and the instructors listened to him, and then they ordered "Enter the water, Marine."  He took a deep breath, hopped in, and promptly sank to the bottom.  (He said he was grateful that he landed on his feet.)  He tried jumping & kicking for the surface, but he couldn't get shallow enough.  After a couple attempts he just stood there, looking up at the surface, holding his breath and waiting for rescue. 

After about a year minute, he saw an instructor's hand reach down from above ("It was like seeing the hand of God") and try to get a grip on his hair.  Of course my roommate had a shaved head, so the instructor had to reach down further and grab his collar to haul him to the surface.

Once my roommate caught his breath he knew better than to say "I told you so!" but the sergeant was skeptical.  They brought over a gunny sergeant and repeated the evolution.  They did it five times (with an ever-larger and more senior instructor audience) until they all agreed that he couldn't float.  However he showed that he could get across the pool by hopping on the bottom, so they passed him.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »

I grew up in the desert and only really know enough to not drown. This summer, I started swimming at our HOA pool for exercise, and I learned everything I know from a short Youtube video on swimming. After watching additional videos, I realize that my form sucks, but I don't really care, as I'm only interested in being able to get a good workout. It turns out that my form wears me out quicker, which seems like a nice benefit, because my time is limited.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »

I grew up in the desert and only really know enough to not drown. This summer, I started swimming at our HOA pool for exercise, and I learned everything I know from a short Youtube video on swimming. After watching additional videos, I realize that my form sucks, but I don't really care, as I'm only interested in being able to get a good workout. It turns out that my form wears me out quicker, which seems like a nice benefit, because my time is limited.

That is what I used to tell my husband! Lately I have actually been working on form, but what was the point of that for a workout in a small pool??

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »

Is it a paid gig?

I really can't share much, but yes, it's very well paid.

I thought my old role was highly prestigious and well paid, but this makes that look like cute day job.
Still, sounds very exciting, though your March to August gig sounded downright heavenly.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2020, 02:35:11 PM »

If it's any consolation, this is common among men with low body fat.  It can happen from race, from genetics, or from physical conditioning.  If you have all three in your background then you may be negatively buoyant.

I graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1982, and among our class of 1047 we had about 20 men who simply had very little reserve buoyancy.  The Navy feels pretty strongly that its servicemembers should be able to swim (or at least float), and one graduation requirement was treading water for 40 minutes in your khaki uniform (without shoes).  If you failed that test during your senior year (for whatever reason) then you joined the Rock Squad for additional after-hours practice.  It didn't matter how smart you were or whether you'd spend your entire military career in a desert-- you had to pass that test.

Many of these men were nationally-ranked athletes:  football, lacrosse, hockey, track & field, and crew.  Some were huge and others were short & scrawny, but they all had a very low percentage of bodyfat.   

One of my roommates was a Marine who rowed on the crew team and was in outstanding condition.  If he was swimming in fresh water he could take a deep breath, stop moving, and slowly sink to the bottom.  (He was neutrally buoyant in salt water.)  If he wanted to tread water then he had to constantly stay in motion by kicking and sweeping his arms, and he could do that for long enough to pass the 40-minute test-- but the instructors weren't happy with the level of effort he had to exert.

During his enlisted Marine combat swimmer training before USNA, one evolution required wearing a full utility uniform in the water (including boots).  After a few minutes of proving that they could tread water, they'd do it again with their ankles tied together.  After a few minutes of that, they'd also tie their hands behind their backs.  (By this point the students were getting pretty tired, which was the whole point of the evolution.)  Surviving the final part required constant dolphin-kicking with deep breaths of air when they surfaced.  My roommate explained that he wouldn't float under those conditions, and the instructors listened to him, and then they ordered "Enter the water, Marine."  He took a deep breath, hopped in, and promptly sank to the bottom.  (He said he was grateful that he landed on his feet.)  He tried jumping & kicking for the surface, but he couldn't get shallow enough.  After a couple attempts he just stood there, looking up at the surface, holding his breath and waiting for rescue. 

After about a year minute, he saw an instructor's hand reach down from above ("It was like seeing the hand of God") and try to get a grip on his hair.  Of course my roommate had a shaved head, so the instructor had to reach down further and grab his collar to haul him to the surface.

Once my roommate caught his breath he knew better than to say "I told you so!" but the sergeant was skeptical.  They brought over a gunny sergeant and repeated the evolution.  They did it five times (with an ever-larger and more senior instructor audience) until they all agreed that he couldn't float.  However he showed that he could get across the pool by hopping on the bottom, so they passed him.
This literally made me LOL.

Long ago and far away, as a young ROTC midshipman, I had to take a swim test.   I didn't really know how to swim, so naturally I failed.  There were exactly 3 of us who failed the swim test that year.  (We all later passed, barely, by the end of freshman year.)
1.  KB - a track and cross country star.  Solid muscle, he sank like a rock.
2.  BS - I'm not exactly sure why he failed.  He was probably muscular, but it was more that he couldn't swim.
3.  Me - Female, didn't exactly know how to swim, but also sank like a rock.  I was 110 lbs of almost solid muscle.  I could literally jump in and sit on the bottom of the pool.  If I filled my lungs, my resting point was a bit below the surface of the water.

To pass this test (which was literally the first test ... I think swim two lengths and stay treading water for the rest of 5 minutes.  Maybe it was 10?) I had to:
1.  Have a swimmer ROTC friend teach me how to tread water.  If I leaned my head back and kicked, I could just barely keep my mouth out of the water.
2.  Gain 10 lbs (yay for the freshman 10!)
3.  Take a semester swim class.  I still remember the instructor telling me, after 3 weeks of trying to "get" the breaststroke: "you aren't getting it, we need to move on".  Well, okay then.

I still am not awesome or fast, and haven't swum since March.  But when I was 40, a friend talked me into a triathlon and taught me the basics of the freestyle.  Learning to swim, as terrible as I am (at my fastest: 30 laps in 40 minutes without stopping), is one of my most proud accomplishments.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »
Sorry, I realize I'm doing a partial thread hijack here, but I have to brag somewhere. Today, at age 49, I have finally learned how to swim like Michael Phelps!       

I've been intrigued for years by that weird, uneven 'galloping' freestyle that the middle distance Olympians often use, but the descriptions and instructional videos never clicked for me in the past, so I was an uncoordinated mess when I would attempt it and soon gave up.  But I've been doing the same swim workout for the past 5 months and I got very bored, so yesterday I looked up yet more tip videos and something about it clicked this time, and today I just went galumphing up and down the pool just like a champ LOL.  It feels very different to my regular hip-driven freestyle, almost like doing a completely new stroke, so it wasn't confusing once it 'clicked'.  It's also faster (obviously).  Funnily, it didn't feel very tiring when I was doing it (just a little more effort b/c of the increase in stroke rate), but then weirdly about 5 minutes after I got done with my swim, my legs started shaking LOL.

Chris@TTL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early retirement mid-pandemic
    • TicTocLife - Transitioning into Early Retirement
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2020, 09:33:40 PM »
Lots of great responses here.

I think the most important takeaway, beyond the details of everyone's desires, is that we need to strive for FI or retire TO SOMETHING.

We can't focus our lives around FI, reach it, and then begin to wonder what sort of life we're going to build.

Build the life you want, then save for it.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2020, 08:03:54 AM »
Sorry I wrote a book here, I just ended up using this as a space for my own personal meditation...

This is a great idea.  I think everyone should do this exercise to make sure they understand what they are working towards and why.  I've thought this through, and either it's reflection of lack of vision or a statement that I like my life, but my FIRE life doesn't seem all that much different from my life now.  I think some of it is that with kids and buying a house near where I grew up, we've basically made the big decisions already and built a life here that I don't want to hit reset on.  I also think I love certain activities (hiking, beach, etc.) but I am OK as long as I get them a few times a year and don't need to literally build my life around them.  Also, at this point I have a certain high-level skill set in a relatively profitable and interesting niche, and so doing something totally new would involve starting at the bottom and I'd rather keep gaining "adjacent" skills in my domain of expertise rather than just hitting reset.  Anyways it's useful to know you are on a good path and reflect on that and be grateful sometimes. 

1.  I'd like to stay involved in commercial real estate, but to do it more on my own terms.  I like my job now as a learning experience and way of making money, but I don't want to be here for 30 years due to internal politics, pay cap and that like 50% of my job is really interesting and 50% is just boring stuff I need to do.  A fair amount of that is actually non-legal administrative type crap that I need to do because of organizational dysfunction, while I outsource and supervise complex legal work simultaneously because of volume.  Example, yesterday afternoon I e-mailed a bunch of things to a partner at a law firm to do for me while I chased down replacement signature pages because our admin printed things wrong and left early for the day.  That stuff is just constant.  Anyways, annoyances are constant but if I am picking my own work I should be able to be closer to 75% enjoy and 25% annoy. 

2.  I'd like to be less involved with the logistics of closings and more time on higher level issues and expand from legal analysis into financial analysis and overall strategy and joining deals as an investor or principal.  It's possible I can find this fit with another employer, but I am also potentially willing to roll the dice and start my own thing, with FIRE or near-FIRE as a backup.  Now, if I started my own thing I'd probably be starting "at the bottom" (doing smaller deals than I do now, and more simple contracts, etc.) and need to work up but I'd still have 25 years to build up what I wanted and have the challenge of building my own thing and doing it my own way.  I really crave autonomy in my work, which I have now (with a weird setup where my boss is too busy to talk to me so I more or less just work and then occasionally try to chase him down for a five minute talk like once a month) except for corporate BS (mandatory meetings, random assignments thrown on my desk from other departments).  I will say that I get frustrated that my legal skills pigeonhole me into doing certain types of things on the deal, and so as a result there are other valuable things I would like to work on that I can't in a large corporate structure, even though it is obvious that I am very smart and good at my job and would have no problem adding value in other domains.  I also just have way too much volume in things I am good at to justify taking a ton of time to participate in other things, but then that keeps me from learning, which is frustrating because everyone knows I want to become more involved in those things. 

Big picture in terms of career arc is that basically the idea that I should be sidelined from reviewing financial projections or involved in core business negotiations because I have a (top notch) JD instead of an MBA is patently ridiculous given my background and accomplishments, and at some point I'm going to break out of this just by re-framing my career on my own terms, and those that want to work with me on those terms will and those that don't can jump in a lake.  I'm a big believer in people setting their own course for their career / life and not just letting fate decide what they will do, and so my FIRE aspirations and my desire to start my own business are wrapped together in making sure I do that fully. 

3.  I'd like my own home office and wouldn't mind popping in there at nights from time to time.  (This will happen soon, when baby is bigger and joins the other kids downstairs).  In return, I'd like more flexibility than I have now.  I'd like to take more than one vacation a year (maybe one big two week one, and another week one, and then several long weekends) and have the ability to kick off in the middle of the day to go for a run or networking meeting.  I struggle with the former right now (I technically have the time, but I don't use it all and my vacation budget is tight) and I do have the latter but not without guilt.  My current setup is not really conducive to working nights and weekends, so I just jam everything into the work day.  Anyways, if I just work all the time and take short vacations then I am not living my best life.  I hope FIRE will give me the confidence to take real breaks when I need and want them, but for me those breaks won't be permanent until I'm much older. 

When kids are older, more travel and eventually more sabbatical type breaks (hiking the PCT, slow travel).  I think this can work with my career arc, because by the time kids are older I'll have fully scratched the career itch and hopefully have way too much money so I'll just need to be disciplined enough to know when is "enough."

4.  I'd like to make sure I carve out dedicated regular time for exercise, cooking, friends, spirituality, reading, hobbies, etc.  I can do most of this now with more discipline from cutting out distractions (like internet news and lurking as people have stupid political arguments).  However, there will always been tension with this and trying to compete at a high level in the commercial real estate industry, so I'll have to navigate this continually.  This used to frustrate me but it no longer does -- it is great that I have more interesting things I want to do than time in the day, it is a sign of a rich life. 

5.  If all goes as planned, I'll still be working past when I need money, just on things I like and on my own terms.  So I'll have extra money.  I'll plan to donate some of it, so will need to think through what organizations I support and maybe participate in them on charitable boards.  I also have ivy league preschool syndrome and like nice things, so I don't mind spending that money on unnecessary fluff, as long as I am doing it from a position of strength (with enough FIRE money to cover base living expenses at all times, plus at least a few years of whatever fluff expenses I've chosen, so working is optional and fluff expenses are not golden handcuffs). 

6.  Commuting long distances and working for micro-managing people with big egos and unrealistic expectations about work-life balance blows and I don't do that anymore and never will again. 

My current setup, which I worked extremely hard to obtain (lots of training, lots of blood, sweat and tears in jobs I didn't like, lots of saving, multiple job switches, some testy conversations) gives me a lot of the raw material to live my best life right now, as I prepare for things that are even better.  It's just up to me to do it! 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:19:10 AM by LWYRUP »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2020, 09:01:51 AM »
This is a great thought exercise. It is similar to, what if I had a million dollars, what would I do? And then realize most of those things I don't need to wait until I have a million dollars to do. I might make a similar outline, because something I've been thinking about more seriously, what I want the rest of my life to look like.

Might have been mentioned before the only thing I'd do is push up earlier when you have the kids. You simply have more energy and reserves to deal with, enjoy ,and do with passion kids + job + whatever else you may be doing when you are young, than when you are older. And simply being more available (alive, able) to spend time with them when they get older possibly have family of their own. Other considerations are fertility issues which can start as early as early 30's. I know at least 1 woman who planned to have a child in her mid thirties but couldn't (too late). 

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:05:00 AM by partgypsy »

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2020, 09:17:54 AM »
Might have been mentioned before the only thing I'd do is push up earlier when you have the kids. You simply have more energy and reserves to deal with, enjoy ,and do with passion kids + job + whatever else you may be doing when you are young, than when you are older. And simply being more available (alive, able) to spend time with them when they get older possibly have family of their own. Other considerations are fertility issues which can start as early as early 30's. I know at least 1 woman who planned to have a child in her mid thirties but couldn't (too late).

Yeah, we had kids at 29, 31, 34 (me) and 31, 34, 37 (DW).  In our city that seemed very young among our friend group, but I'm really happy we did.  They take all my energy now, I couldn't imagine chasing after three little ones in my 40s.  And we know friends with fertility issues who started just two or three years after us.  Also age of father matters, and also lower chance of birth defects if you have kids younger.  Not politically correct to mention all that but people should know for planning purposes. 

I think people should be encouraged to start "acting like an adult" earlier in their 20s so they can lay the groundwork for kids in late 20s or early 30s.  And you don't need the perfect dream home with nursery first.  Our second had his crib in our walk-in closet in our apartment.  I'm happy to have a house now, but it was fine.  You adapt. 

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2020, 09:38:43 AM »
Work

Part-time seasonal work - maybe as a snowboard instructor? Whatever the minimum hours needed to get a free season pass. Will keep me active, make sure I get on my board a couple times a week, and help maintain a social circle.

I am sure for a portion of early FIRE (40's & 50's) I will work for myself - likely as a landlord / property manager / renovating property. A hobby I would like to start sooner than later and take more seriously as time goes on. Intend on doing this until kids are out of college and parents are passed - the extra income post-FI to make sure my parents are comfortable and my kids start life without debt. Also to keep me from going crazy - As much as I love the idea of FIRE, I don't think I have the personality required to never make money ever again.

Living Accommodations

Would like to design & build my own home - Right now I have dreams of building a ~1500 sf 3bd/1.5ba that is earth sheltered & ultra-modern (concrete, steel, glass). One of my hobbies is drawing these houses up in AutoCAD. Ideally it would have (2) 1bd/1ba suites in the walkout basement for my parents and in-laws. Together but separate.

Location - rural, 5+ acres, within biking distance (3 miles) to a grocery store & Main Street, tall trees, mountain views, and tillable land with fruit trees, berries, chickens, and a large vegetable garden. Less than 1hr to a ski area, and less than 1hr to a Chinese supermarket. Within 1hr to a university, and within 2hrs to a major metropolitan area. Good schools for the kid. Right now I am targeting Hadley, MA as a potential candidate.

Idea being that as the kid gets older they can live at home and attend university (if they want to stay local). When the kid graduates they have Tier-1 job markets that aren't too far away, so we can still visit and help them raise the grand kids - of course none of that is guaranteed. Parents can age at home and we can care for them and keep them out of a nursing home as long as possible.

Fitness

Stay fit - keep rock climbing, weight training, yoga, snowboarding, skateboarding, and backpacking.
Probably keep a rock climbing membership and take longer trips on the AT.
Main improvement when FIRE would be the longer trips on the AT. Going out for 1-2 weeks would be much more feasible.

Weight training, snowboarding, and skateboarding - mostly maintenance, no aspirations to greatly improve at this point, my knees are shot. I would like to improve at yoga and rock climbing.

New hobbies I would like to start - surfing, river kayaking, hunting.

Home Life

Keep the house clean and organized, cook from the garden, and build a lush, edible, and attractive landscape.

Watch a sunrise and sunset everyday - ideally with a cup of coffee in the morning and an adult beverage in the evenings.

Build and sit by a fire often - either inside by my fireplace, or outside by the fire pit, weather permitting.

Kids will be in middle school by then - will like to be really involved with academics and ensure camping/skiing/other adventures happen frequently.

Parents part of our daily life - they will be in their late 60's & early 70's. Have dinner with them, help them in the gardens, ensure they have great medical care and have high quality food.

Travel

Thought this deserves its own category.

Ideally I would take a 1-2 month trip to China every year to visit DW's parents (they wouldn't live with us full time), this might include some travel abroad as a group since they are avid travelers. I would also like to travel to Colorado for 1-2 weeks twice a year for camping & skiing trips with my friends out there. If my Grand Parents are still alive I will travel to Florida to visit them 1-2 times a year for a week or so. Would also like to get out on the AT (or other trail) for 1-2 weeks 2-3 time per year.

Sounds like a lot of time away from the house - not sure who will feed the hypothetical chickens. Hope my neighbors are cool.

Maybe in our 60's when the kids are out of the house I will want to focus more on slow traveling the world. Rent a house for a month in a major city or cultural area, then day trip around. Rinse and repeat.

Dreams

Get out on some open track days at Lime Rock Park raceway
Build a tuner car and go to meet ups
Complete all sections of the AT (maybe not all at once?)
Get decent at surfing - (likely in China when I am there)
Snowboard in Chili, the Alps, Alaska, and Japan at least once
Make more working for myself than I did working for other people for at least a year
Build a mini-ramp
Slow travel the world
Have kids that are respectful and value our relationship, want to be part of our lives as we age

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2020, 09:52:39 AM »

Yeah, we had kids at 29, 31, 34 (me) and 31, 34, 37 (DW).  In our city that seemed very young among our friend group, but I'm really happy we did.  They take all my energy now, I couldn't imagine chasing after three little ones in my 40s.  And we know friends with fertility issues who started just two or three years after us.  Also age of father matters, and also lower chance of birth defects if you have kids younger.  Not politically correct to mention all that but people should know for planning purposes. 

I think people should be encouraged to start "acting like an adult" earlier in their 20s so they can lay the groundwork for kids in late 20s or early 30s.  And you don't need the perfect dream home with nursery first.  Our second had his crib in our walk-in closet in our apartment.  I'm happy to have a house now, but it was fine.  You adapt.

The bolded above is so true. Our toddler has a whole room. The only things that it is used for are sleeping and diaper changes. If his crib were in a closet, things would be just fine.

I would love to have a smaller house, but those are hard to find around here! 2200 square feet seemed to be on the lower end of all the houses we saw when we were looking. I was hoping for closer to 1800.

Saffron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2020, 11:36:56 AM »

Oh boy do I feel the pressure already, probably more than most at my age. I did write a very long and overly personal and derailing comment, but I'm going to pass on posting that to this thread.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2020, 10:55:48 PM »

This is such a hard choice to make, especially with FIRE, because you have this tradeoff of health/more time with your kids later in life, vs. if you wait a few more years you'll have more resources and be able to spend more time with them by not working.

Biology + compounding returns (both of the stock market, and compounding returns to career development) are a real one-two punch.