Author Topic: What do you look for in a job?  (Read 6214 times)

retireatbirth

• Bristles
What do you look for in a job?
« on: July 26, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
I've been talking to recruiters and some of them ask me what I am looking for in my new role as far as the role, the company, industry, etc. I find I can't really answer the question at all besides talking about the skills I'll use and salary range. Is this normal? I'm in my mid-30s, makes me wonder if I should have it more figured out by now, but I don't. I see myself as somewhat a mercenary who will do whatever for the money.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
Re: What do you look for in a job?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 05:33:57 PM »
Autonomy. Culture conducive to inspiration and openness. Great people.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:45:20 PM »
I read somewhere that the three things people need to be happy in a job are: autonomy, competence, and meaning. I've used that line in a few interviews, and it's worked well. On competence, I talk about the skills I bring and how the office will help me grow. On meaning, I talk about the mission of the org (probably works best in the public service world).

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Money first and do I believe in my superior/leadership, that's it.

Most places are the same relatively speaking, politics, culture, etc - this has been experience anyway.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »
My answer boils down to: I'm looking for a high-level individual contributor (i.e.: not management) software engineer/architect position, a team who gives a damn, interesting problem to work on, and to be working in a language I want to be (Python in specific but I'd consider others: Ruby, maybe Rust come to mind quickly. I'd generally avoid Java/JavaScript/C/C++. I would not do Perl or ops or dev-ops.). Oh and I don't want to move or travel constantly, so either you're where I am or I am working remotely for you.

FWIW, I'll be 39 in a few days, and I spent some time getting a masters. From that perspective, you should probably have the answer to this question down. This is my 3rd job post-school: BS, MS in CS, 7 years working for a public university as a sysadmin, 5 years as a developer for an internet company, and now 1 year at a startup. I expect if I get to 5 years at the startup I'll probably be looking to FIRE not for another job.

If those tenures seem long, its because us midwesterners don't job-hop like the bay area/silicon valley does.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 07:50:08 PM »
I read somewhere that the three things people need to be happy in a job are: autonomy, competence, and meaning.
Daniel Pink's Drive. He calls it autonomy, mastery and purpose; your words do as well.

We want some freedom in how we do our jobs, who we do them with, and when we do them. We want a sense we're getting better at our work skills. And we want a sense that it's all leading somewhere, we're contributing to something greater than ourselves.

Many people only achieve this in self-employment, to do so as an employee is very fortunate. Of course, sometimes people will have "just a job" that earns them money, as they can also get autonomy, mastery and purpose from a hobby, from their family time, and so on.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:56:29 PM »
Quality of life and a fair wage. Your life outside of work defines who you are. If you spend your life at work then who or what are you? Wife, kids, hobbies, activities all are needed to be healthy. My wife and I place work/life balance above salary. People get pissed at me but I always say money is easy... More work? more money. It is as easy as that. Less work? less money. We know what we need annually to hit the numbers of our goals. We always end up with more, which we invest therefore shortening the term that we have to work. We never let our employers know that we will be done long before retirement age. We take all of our vacation. My wife asked her previous employer to take back a raise in exchange for more time off, they refused for two years in a row... she now has a new employer. The old one was pissed and wanted to know why she left. After we told them they were dumbfounded. More money never equals more happy.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »
Be cautious about "more money never equals more happy" -- that's only true once you're past a certain level of money. Below that level, money = happy because it buys food, shelter, gets debt collectors to quit calling, etc.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 08:13:57 PM »
I look for a chill, low-stress workplace within walking distance of my apartment, with coworkers and supervisors I get along with. That and it needs to fit my lifestyle - sane hours, and they need to be cool with me going traveling regularly. I need to earn enough to retire early, but with my current 13K/year expenses, that's not a very high number.

I honestly don't even care what kind of work I do, if it meets those requirements.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:22:59 PM »
Many things.... I'm glad I've already gotten what I need from my job including my own office with FIRE in 2 to 4 years.  If I decide to work some part time jobs down the road, I will be much more open to jobs I would never consider now.  That will be a whole new ball game.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:03:37 PM by GenXbiker »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »
Good tools, rational people, interesting problems.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 01:36:06 AM »
Personally?

I start with the money, then location and the role (would I enjoy it and find it challenging enough - I hate being bored), and nowadays I'm much more interested in the soft side; the people and checking out the boss (have had a few nightmares overs the years), the culture (what sort of hours do they expect?), flexibility and WFH options.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 02:55:16 AM »
On top of what was already said, working in a business that is growing is much better than one that is mature or slipping. It means budget for new things, fun things and a general optimistic atmosphere. I've been in companies that are shrinking and all spending is very controlled, not much chance for promotion, and there is this vibe of who's next to go out. Also I like working on a product that I believe in. I've had to maintain products that where utter crap. All the complaints about your product also indirectly hit you, as you represent your company.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 06:24:51 AM »
I think most people are better at identifying what they don't want in a job.

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 09:44:58 AM »
I look for a chill, low-stress workplace within walking distance of my apartment, with coworkers and supervisors I get along with. That and it needs to fit my lifestyle - sane hours, and they need to be cool with me going traveling regularly. I need to earn enough to retire early, but with my current 13K/year expenses, that's not a very high number.

I honestly don't even care what kind of work I do, if it meets those requirements.

lol

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 03:14:39 PM »
I think most people are better at identifying what they don't want in a job.

I have found this to be the case for me after a few positions and just recently moving to a new company. 

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »
Good tools, rational people, interesting problems.

Same here.

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
My answer boils down to: I'm looking for a high-level individual contributor (i.e.: not management)

This. It significantly lowers the stress and negative emotions vs management. YMMV, of course, but, on the whole, I think this holds true.

I look for a 'fun' place to work. Light-hearted yet accountable, but not entirely soul-sucking. Total compensation package ties for 1st place.

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:48 PM »
MONEY

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 12:51:57 AM »
The door out! The break room. Water cooler. :)

Actually I am very thankful to all of you that can work a regular job. From the guy working on the road to the waiter/waitress to the people in the cubicles to the warehouse workers and everyone between.... without you, my world would be screwed! I always try to be nice to people working no matter what their job is because I appreciate them. So the next time you are feeling down about your J O B, just remember no matter what it is.... we probably couldn't function without you.

JayhawkRacer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »
MONEY

I can answer that question...for money.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 02:58:47 AM »
Well managed work loads.