Author Topic: What do you do for *mental* exercise?  (Read 7250 times)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
What do you do for *mental* exercise?
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:26:44 AM »
There's a thread for physical exercise, but I'm wondering what community members do to exercise their brains.

I've recently started teaching myself chess (well into my 30s and I'd never played).  It's slow going, but I could probably beat a not-especially-skilled 6 year old at this point, which is progress.

Since I've found out we are moving back to Japan, I've also taken up Japanese studies again.  Last time, I learned more than most of those around me, but  very little in the grand scheme of things.  Working on expanding vocab, learning katakana and some kanji. 

DH and I play problem solving board games.

And I read on average 2-3 books a week (unemployed house-frau life has it's upside). 

I also have several novels in varying stages of completion that I work on in fits and starts. 

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
Re: What do you do for *mental* exercise?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:36:28 AM »
My job has plenty of mental exercise, but I also do crossword puzzles, sudoku, play challenging games with my family, and read.  Looking forward to more of those once I'm done with my full-time job!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:54:50 AM by NeverWasACornflakeGirl »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:43:49 AM »
 I read 2-3 books a week now so thats alot to absorb.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:47:01 AM »
My favorite mental exercise is music.  Analyzing, playing, and memorizing pieces of piano music is fun and challenging. 

I also really enjoy word and number puzzles, board games, reading, and just researching any topic that happens to catch my interest.

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 07:56:14 AM »
Khan Academy

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:01:12 AM »
Read a lot of non-fiction, learning a new musical instrument, crosswords, Sudoku, Word search, and generally trying to think about things instead of just automatically reacting to them. So I try to use my brain instead of just coasting.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 08:08:41 AM »
Ken Ken > Soduku

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 08:11:11 AM »
Reading, games, participating on some forum where I get to have discussions which cause me to actually think about a problem and dissect it into research-able components, general navel gazing, and oddly enough hiking and walking. I know that's physical exercise but if I'm mentally chewing on something I find hiking or walking to be the best way to untangle whatever knot is in my head.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
Learning languages does it for me. There is always the issue how far to take it in terms of writing or conversational skills. One will never reach the level of a native speaker, but attaining a level at which native speakers are at ease during casual conversations is possible. Aiming for that translates into several years of challenging language work and cultural exposure that can't be had any other way.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »
Quilting, knitting, learning how to fix things and oodles of reading. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »
Learning languages does it for me. There is always the issue how far to take it in terms of writing or conversational skills. One will never reach the level of a native speaker, but attaining a level at which native speakers are at ease during casual conversations is possible. Aiming for that translates into several years of challenging language work and cultural exposure that can't be had any other way.

I had the opportunity to hear some brief remarks by the VP of the Navajo nation last week.  He said that he encourages young Navajo students to learn Navajo, another indigenous language, English, Spanish, and another modern language.  Wow!!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
I read a lot of fiction, but otherwise there is no need. My job provides plenty of mental exercise.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:40 PM »
Teaching and research, plus I'm boning up on my largely-forgotten French with DuoLingo.

bekkah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
I read the dictionary. I like to break a mental sweat too.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
Reading, games, fixing things. Teaching my kids.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
<-------  Strategy boardgaming. I played chess a lot as a teen, but I've found there are a lot better games out there these days. Pandemic (also available in the iStore) is a superb form of advanced solitaire that you can play solo or with the significant other. The missus and I have played this game somewhere to the tune of 300-400 times, no exaggeration. It's a truly great game that never gets old for us, just like Sudoku never gets old for others.

Also, stimulating writing on these forums, especially when the topic has no clear cut answer.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
Facebook
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:11:33 PM by Russ »

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »
I'm never at a loss for something to set my mind to.  I'm currently working on learning French and Spanish, and will be starting a B.A. program in the fall to that end. I get a free class per term for free through work (I work at a university), and would like to transition into part-time translation work as I get closer to FIRE.

Other than that, I muck about with electronics and regularly use Morse code to communicate with other nutters around the world who are also into that via amateur radio.

I've got a number of other hobbies as well, including guitar playing and woodworking that I would do a lot more of if I didn't have to go to work every day.

When I FIRE, I will definitely NOT be bored! :)

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »
One will never reach the level of a native speaker, but attaining a level at which native speakers are at ease during casual conversations is possible.

Got to disagree with this, having known several folks in person and online who've done it. Online, examples include the guy from www.alljapaneseallthetime.com and the dudes from www.antimoon.com off the top of my head. Ditto this example from Stephen Krashen's website: http://www.sdkrashen.com/content/articles/what_does_it_take.pdf

Basically, the way you do it is to surround yourself with native materials 24/7, and from there on, it's just a question of logging the hours. A buddy of mine did this and got to the point where he passed the proficiency test for being able to teach in the language (Spanish) as a public school teacher, could speak the language fluently to the point where native speakers had trouble believing he didn't have native parent speakers, and decided to raise his newborn daughter bilingually. And this was all in less than two years of daily work. The guy from AJATT did it with Japanese in about the same amount of time.

It takes a lot of work, though, as well as a rock solid level of dedication. You essentially have to trade everything you do in your native language for everything in the second language, which is not a sacrifice most folks are willing to make. My buddy stopped listening to music except for in Spanish, only listened to the radio in Spanish when driving, and used headphones whenever using his computer at home because he was always listening to online radio in Spanish. He only read books in Spanish (children's books, teenage books, adult novels), and watched several telenovelas (Spanish soap operas hundreds of episodes long) start to finish. In other words, he surrounded himself with the language the way the guys above describe (that's the method he followed). In the end, though, it got him where he wanted to go. And in true Mustachian style, he barely spent any money in the whole process.

I can vouch 100% that it's possible to get to the native level in a second language as an adult, and it's not something that takes the rest of one's life to do. However, just like retiring early, it's something that most people believe is impossible because it involves changes they aren't willing to make.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:46:49 PM by CarSafetyGuy »

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 01:03:04 AM »
... and oddly enough hiking and walking. I know that's physical exercise but if I'm mentally chewing on something I find hiking or walking to be the best way to untangle whatever knot is in my head.
I have experienced the same, but with running. Whenever I had a bad day at work or when I'm struggling with something else, a good run always helps to clear the head.

As for mental exercise:
* I play chess (on redhotpawn.com)
* I read a lot (both fiction and nonfiction)
* I am learning Italian (have been doing so for three years)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 01:04:56 AM »
I read a book a week, in various genres, but mostly sci-fi, fantasy, and history. I did it successfully in 2013. I finished 60 books and left 12 others unfinished, just because they weren't interesting enough to make it worth my time. I'm on track to do the same this year.

I'm looking for a new mentally stimulating hobby now. The ideas in this thread are interesting!

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 06:33:51 AM »
Play poker
read

thinking about starting a website

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
One will never reach the level of a native speaker, but attaining a level at which native speakers are at ease during casual conversations is possible.

Got to disagree with this, having known several folks in person and online who've done it. Online, examples include the guy from www.alljapaneseallthetime.com and the dudes from www.antimoon.com off the top of my head. Ditto this example from Stephen Krashen's website: http://www.sdkrashen.com/content/articles/what_does_it_take.pdf

Basically, the way you do it is to surround yourself with native materials 24/7, and from there on, it's just a question of logging the hours. A buddy of mine did this and got to the point where he passed the proficiency test for being able to teach in the language (Spanish) as a public school teacher, could speak the language fluently to the point where native speakers had trouble believing he didn't have native parent speakers, and decided to raise his newborn daughter bilingually. And this was all in less than two years of daily work. The guy from AJATT did it with Japanese in about the same amount of time.

It takes a lot of work, though, as well as a rock solid level of dedication. You essentially have to trade everything you do in your native language for everything in the second language, which is not a sacrifice most folks are willing to make. My buddy stopped listening to music except for in Spanish, only listened to the radio in Spanish when driving, and used headphones whenever using his computer at home because he was always listening to online radio in Spanish. He only read books in Spanish (children's books, teenage books, adult novels), and watched several telenovelas (Spanish soap operas hundreds of episodes long) start to finish. In other words, he surrounded himself with the language the way the guys above describe (that's the method he followed). In the end, though, it got him where he wanted to go. And in true Mustachian style, he barely spent any money in the whole process.

I can vouch 100% that it's possible to get to the native level in a second language as an adult, and it's not something that takes the rest of one's life to do. However, just like retiring early, it's something that most people believe is impossible because it involves changes they aren't willing to make.

I think what you are referring to as native level is what I mean with a level at which native speakers are at ease. At that level, many native speakers won't recognize that they are dealing with a non-native speaker and they make no adjustments in their speech when talking or writing to you - even the ones recognizing that you are a non-native speaker. You'll also be 100% functional in a professional or other formal setting.
I do speak a second language at the near native level, but I'm still aware of subtle differences in my own experience when speaking the second language compared to my native language. That's not necessarily something others can perceive but I am conscious of it.
All the other things you are mentioning pretty much cover what one needs to do to become proficient in a language at a high level. And it's true, it doesn't cost much at all.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 09:13:08 AM »
Blog, read, play video games, solve technical issues at work.

Also, because being active improves your capacity to think, physical exercise makes this list, too.  Blam!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
Starting a blog has been excellent for that.  I am not a computer savvy type, so it has been some mental exercise for me!  Also, writing blog posts (essentially short essays) has been good for me.  I haven't had to write since getting out of school years ago, so it is good for me.  I want to write better - funnier, more concise, better topics.  And I need to include more technical stuff.  I am still writing a lot of fluff. 
Reading, fiction and non-fiction.  I surround myself with very smart people - it rubs off!  Work (occasional stimulation.). Periodically choosing a new skill to learn.  In the last few years I have taken 12 credits at the community college on RE investing, Joined the master gardener program in my county, taken classes on herbalism and wildcrafting.  I eventually want to learn Spanish.  I have said that for about 20 years.  Probably won't get started until I am retired.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »
Read voraciously, do crosswords, cryptoquotes, and logic puzzles.

Hijinks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 01:06:56 PM »

I think what you are referring to as native level is what I mean with a level at which native speakers are at ease. At that level, many native speakers won't recognize that they are dealing with a non-native speaker and they make no adjustments in their speech when talking or writing to you - even the ones recognizing that you are a non-native speaker. You'll also be 100% functional in a professional or other formal setting.
I do speak a second language at the near native level, but I'm still aware of subtle differences in my own experience when speaking the second language compared to my native language. That's not necessarily something others can perceive but I am conscious of it.
All the other things you are mentioning pretty much cover what one needs to do to become proficient in a language at a high level. And it's true, it doesn't cost much at all.

I think it also depends on the language in question. Perhaps it would be possible for a non-native speaker to reach a near native level in Spanish or French, although I don't think a truly native level can ever be reached. I know someone who has lived in Paris for many years and is extremely fluent in French, but gets busted for being a non-native when she mixes up the odd "le" and "la."

I don't think it would be possible for a non-native speaker to approach a native level in most tonal languages. For example, Cantonese has about nine different tones (that number varies a bit depending on who you ask), and even non-native speakers who have lived in Hong Kong for decades still have noticeable accents. That's not to say their language and vocabulary skills aren't impressive - they certainly are - but they would never be mistaken for a native.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:17:42 PM by A&R »

momo5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »
I'm homeschooling so I'm constantly trying to stay ahead of my kids questions and learning all sorts of things that I'd never gravitate towards on my own. I also have a hobby-addiction which means I'm learning a little about alot of things but never really get good at any one thing. I just started learning a bit of french with duolingo, I doubt I'll ever be fluent, but its a start.