Author Topic: What do think is the estimated consumption of electricity in a 247sqf apartment?  (Read 2381 times)

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi guys,

I've just moved to Leipzig (Germany) and I'm settling down in the town. I've rented a tiny apartment (23 sqm / 247 sqf) with only one room for everything (at the same time it's the kitchen (small fridge, small vitroceramic), the living room and the bedroom. And then apart is the bathroom.

One of the first things I have to do is to contract another electricity provider, because if I don't, they automatically "contract for you" the most expensive one.

And now I'm comparing tariffs and I have to enter an estimated consumption. With this estimated consumption, they charge you the same amount every month, and after one year, they read the real consumptions. If you have paid more, they either return money to you, or they make a discount in your next invoices. If you have paid less, they reclaim their money.

My plan is to stay in this country for 1 year more or less, so I don't want to deal with having to send them a letter (in German) telling that I want a refund of my money.

I do not know if 600 per YEAR kWh will be fine for this tiny apartment. What do you think? I just have one computer but I don't have any TV or router...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:27:53 AM by Diego »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
600kWh would be what I use in a hot summer month with a ton of air conditioning. I use more like 100kWh in months with no A/C (I don't pay for heat). That's for one person in a ~500 sq ft apt.

Is heating or cooling included in your electric bill? That makes a big difference.

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No, it isn't included. There is no air conditioning and the heating is paid separately.

px4shooter

• Stubble
You can't figure out who the last provider was and obtain an estimate?

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
For comparison, we have a 1600 square foot house with a/c, and don't use 600KWH per month.   We are usually below 400KWH (with an old fridge, freezer, multiple computers, washer, dryer, tv, etc.), so I think you are vastly overestimating what you will use.

Dollar Slice's estimate of 100KWH sounds more likely to me.   Could you ask neighbours with the same size apartments what they pay?

DaveSch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dave's Homemade Radios
I live in a 672 sqf or about 62 sqm house. I am alone and I don't go many places. I use 175KWH per month. My furnace, stove, water heater and dryer run on natural gas. My computer is on while I am awake but I built it to consume little energy. All 26 lights are LED. I run my tv for an hour or so a day. I have a full sized fridge that I bought in 2009 and was the best for energy efficiency for the size in 2009. I have a house full of Google Home speakers, and about 15 smart plugs which are powered all the time. I don't use a/c, but have several ceiling fans. In the winter I use a humidifier, so the usage of motor devices evens out.
I hope that helps. Viel Glück!

PS In 2009 I bought a new fridge, new tv set and built a new computer. Before I bought, the usage was about 250KWH per month. At my rates, the savings over the 9 years has paid for all 3 devices!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Look at the amps that the fridge draws (or look up the model to see how efficient it is). Is the oven electric or gas? Are you running a bitcoin server?

Besides AC and resistive heating, the fridge is the biggest energy draw.

200 kwh should be plenty. If you don't want a refund, opt for 100-150.

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thank you for your responses :)

The only point here (I have edited the first post), is that this consumption is per YEAR. I can't ask neighbours about the past because the flat is new. We are the first people living in it.

I don't have an oven, just a small electric vitroceramic and a small fridge A+. Like these ones:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:32:04 AM by Diego »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Gotcha. In that case I think 600 is probably a reasonable guess.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
I wrote a big reply yesterday, but the server vaporizes it.

If you don't cook (much) and use LEDs, then 600kWh should be sufficient. Of course it also depends on how much and for what you use that computer.

Fridges should have an estimated energy use per year on their big sign, but I guess you don't have it anymore. Since it is "only" A+ I think 300kWh is an okay estimate.

For your energy provider you may use e.g. verivox for comparison, but the German may be a problem.

What are you doing in Germany? If you are a student, then there should be someone able to help you with that stuff (in English).

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
If you underestimate by too much, is there any sort of penalty?

You could just choose a very low number with the intention of paying most of the bill at the end of the year.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
How much power does the computer draw? A high end computer can burn through ~1400 kWh per yer.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelkanellos/2015/09/07/the-big-surprise-in-home-energy-consumption-gaming-pcs/#2bee8c291bff

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thank all of you for your replies.

@LennStar, I'm working here, and I'm going with Google Translate for these kind of things.
@Dabnasty that's the problem, I don't really know it. Since the contract is in German and I have to translate it, I don't want to underestimate too much because I really don't know if I will have to pay a penalty.
@YttriumNitrate my computer is a MBP 2016 which I'm not going to use a lot (only in the mornings before going to work, and maybe some evenings). After all, I don't have internet connection (and no plans of having it).

Yesterday I bought a new LED bulb which consumes 5W (the original one was 45W), and I have disconnected unnecessary lights. So my only bulbs are gonna be the bulb in the main room (5W), and one in the bathroom (4.7W).

In fact, I'm thinking about buying some battery powered candles to light up the main room. With this I don't pretend to be cheap, it's just I think the room could have a better light environment with candles.

barbaz

• Stubble
Reviving this older thread...

My plan is to stay in this country for 1 year more or less, so I don't want to deal with having to send them a letter (in German) telling that I want a refund of my money.
The refund should happen automatically, worst case they will send you a letter asking for an IBAN to send the money to.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!