Author Topic: What did you pack for lunch today?  (Read 30982 times)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
What did you pack for lunch today?
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:21:33 AM »
I feel like an elementary school badass right now!

2 PB&J's
Cheese
Fig Newtons
Ritz crackers
a small salad
1 peach

I am willing to trade said peach if someone has some chocolate or a rice crispy treat...

seanc0x0

• Bristles
Re: What did you pack for lunch today?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »
Didn't have any leftovers (my usual lunch), so I grabbed a couple frozen home-made burritos out of the deep-freeze to microwave for lunch.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 08:24:43 AM »
Leftover chicken breast in homemade mushroom gravy
Banana
Apple
Peanut Butter
Popcorn

Usually I make a whole wheat peanut butter and banana sandwich, but when there are good leftovers, I take those instead :)

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:25:23 AM »
Baked swai filet (we had these last night so I threw an extra one in the oven for lunch today), cottage cheese, & an orange.  4lb bag of oranges for $1.99, I've been bringing an orange every day for over a week!

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:42:22 AM »
No leftovers, so I brought a frozen french bread pizza (on sale for .88!) some chips, and a banana. Really unhealthy, but it'll do for now.

fiscalphile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
Goat cheese (leftover from some dinner recipes), blackberry jam, crackers, walnuts/almonds (which I buy in bulk), and a couple sweets that I was gifted on Valentine's day.

Fridays are short days at my work so I don't need a huge lunch- I am looking forward to chicken parm tonight at home.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:23:52 AM »
Tuna fish sandwich, applesauce.

Supplemented as necessary by office snacks - currently goldfish crackers and granola bars. These live at the office and are replenished as necessary.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »
Frozen home-made burrito (I made a batch last weekend), some salsa and half an avocado.  An apple and 2 mandarin oranges for snacks.  I also packed breakfast which I ate right after finishing my morning workout and showering at the gym at work - 2 hard boiled eggs, a small can of V8 (clearance item at Aldi) and a banana.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »
A knife, several large plastic garbage bags, duct tape, and a spare change of clothing.  I'm going free range paleo today.  AND solving our homeless problem.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 09:32:42 AM »
Homemade beef vegetable soup and a couple of peanut butter sandwiches (one of the sandwiches was for breakfast).

user43423

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Deep Value
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 10:07:14 AM »
Chicken breast with Harissa/yogurt sauce, and a salad

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 10:10:13 AM »
Tofu/carrots/green onion/zuchinni/bell pepper stir-fry with brown rice. 

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 10:11:36 AM »
This is so funny, because I was just thinking of starting a thread like this, since the most exciting part of work this week has been my lunches. Ha.

By the way, I LOVE FIG NEWTONS, so few people appreciate their dense soft sweet deliciousness.

Today it's pretty boring, a ham sandwich, a clementine, and some carrots. But this week I've had leftover pulled pork sandwiches with pickles and slaw and leftover pad thai. DH found a pad thai recipe and has it down pretty well. I also brought along a clementine and brewed some chai tea to go with the pad thai. Something about those two little additions made me feel like I was dining in the Lap of Luxury.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
pbj (yesterday's leftover breakfast) tuna fish bagelwich, fresh strawberries & a Pepsi. I have a banana for my 3pm snack.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »
White bean and Italian sausage chili, with a big hunk of sourdough bread to dunk in it! Chili is homemade, the sourdough I got for free.

Yesterday though....probably the best lunch concoction I have ever made! Homemade flatbread topped with shredded crockpot chicken, ranch dressing, cheddar cheese, and bacon! Would/may eat every day.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
the most exciting part of work this week has been my lunches. Ha.

Ditto. I've been having roasted portobello sandwiches all week. Marinated in balsamic dressing, with some greens, goat cheese, and carmelized onions. Getting through the mornings has been so tough because I just want to eat my yummy lunch.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »
Call me antimustachian if you want but i go out for lunch on fridays. I bring lunch mon-thurs but i go outon Fridays. Have to get out of the office...

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »
A knife, several large plastic garbage bags, duct tape, and a spare change of clothing.  I'm going free range paleo today.  AND solving our homeless problem.

:D

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 10:56:13 AM »

:D

True frugal badassity. You would get along just fine at our extended family gatherings, GS.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 10:56:43 AM »

Ditto. I've been having roasted portobello sandwiches all week. Marinated in balsamic dressing, with some greens, goat cheese, and carmelized onions. Getting through the mornings has been so tough because I just want to eat my yummy lunch.

Oh my that sounds divine. So you marinate them in the balsamic vinegar, then roast them in the oven? I might have to try this. I bet my vegetarian daughter would love it too.

Smokeydave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 10:58:10 AM »
I cooked a cup of rice with a can of beans and some corn and peas.  2.5lbs of chicken.  5 PB&J's.  Three apples and two oranges.   A bag of nuts and 4packts of oatmeal.  A bag of shredded cheese and some Sirachia for the beans and rice with chicken.  Some fresh green beans carrots and celery.  A frozen burrito and some dark chocolate.  I walked out the door and won't be home for three days.   Keep it all cold in a cooler bag and I won't spend a dime while gone!

sbdebeste

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
White rice, steamed broccoli, and grilled boneless-skinless chicken thighs. Plus a half-avocado.

Gettin' real excited about lunch now...

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
I cooked a cup of rice with a can of beans and some corn and peas.  2.5lbs of chicken.  5 PB&J's.  Three apples and two oranges.   A bag of nuts and 4packts of oatmeal.  A bag of shredded cheese and some Sirachia for the beans and rice with chicken.  Some fresh green beans carrots and celery.  A frozen burrito and some dark chocolate.  I walked out the door and won't be home for three days.   Keep it all cold in a cooler bag and I won't spend a dime while gone!

I salute your badassity, good sir!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »
Nothing. Client is buying me lunch.

-- Vik

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 11:53:13 AM »
Pretty much my standard lunch:  apple, some carrot sticks, hard-boiled egg, almond/walnut mix.  Also some instant miso soup.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 12:27:16 PM »
I brought the last serving of leftover tomato-sausage risotto I made for my weekly dinner party on Tuesday. It's one of the best things I've made in awhile: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/alexs-restaurant/

I don't bring snacks to work because my company provides them. Today I've had oatmeal with a banana, yogurt, and some chocolate/sea salt covered almonds. Yum.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
Taco Bell :-)

Edit - before anyone knocks this decision, I got 880 calories for $2.00+tax and it was better than the best turkey sandwich I've ever had.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:46:59 PM by mak1277 »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 01:29:37 PM »
Brought a smoothie and coffee this morning, then went over and got a $2.99 breakfast burrito (this thing is freshly made and huge) for lunch.  We're running low on fresh food at home since we've got a new fridge being delivered tomorrow.  Yesterday was leftover beef stew and an orange.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »
Split pea soup from freezer
Orange
Carrot sticks
Coleslaw

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
Today I packed some home cooked beans with a little cheese, plan greek yogurt (used like sour cream), sauerkraut and salsa.  I also brought a tortilla and assembled a burrito.  I feel like pre-assembled burritos get a little soggy.  I also had some frozen strawberries and cottage cheese for snacks.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »
Black beans
Cilantro-lime rice
Tilapia
Cucumber mango salsa

3 home-made blueberry muffins

Taco Bell :-)

Edit - before anyone knocks this decision, I got 880 calories for $2.00+tax and it was better than the best turkey sandwich I've ever had.

My meal was under $2 too!

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »

Oh my that sounds divine. So you marinate them in the balsamic vinegar, then roast them in the oven? I might have to try this. I bet my vegetarian daughter would love it too.

I marinated them in creamy balsamic dressing and then roasted them in the oven.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »
It's Lent, so I couldn't have any meat, so I packed a slice of leftover homemade plain pizza from the other night with yogurt, applesauce, and a cookie.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
I went home for lunch. Potatoes leftover from last night (I cooked extra) and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Static Void

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 02:39:59 PM »
Yesterday spent the day at the MLK public library in San Jose. Breathtaking views, and plenty of power strips & wifi, which is to say, perfect environment for writing code. (Open til 9pm, too.) Packed lunch of:

* Banana
* Multigrain english muffin sandwich with hunks of chicken (we roast one a week) & swiss cheese
* Handful of almonds

Should be... well, < $3 anyway.
But then doubled that with an espresso downstairs. Note to self, try a thermos next time!

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »
WAIT!  There is something other than peanut butter that's good for lunch?

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »
an apple and a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread.  Thats my lunch at least 4 days a week.

mancityfan

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 05:21:57 PM »
Peanut butter sandwich. A banana, and a mandarin orange.

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »
Farro, chickpeas and kale salad. Walnuts, raisins and a banana for snack. 

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2015, 08:34:48 PM »
My daily lunch is a bit odd, but it is: sunflower kernels, 2 sticks of string cheese, a protein granola bar, crackers and usually some Mio drink.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 08:39:09 PM »
PB&J, plus a banana.  Pulled pork salad with beans and corn earlier this week

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »
Okay, I'll play. Dear, dear, DH will eat the same thing every day without complaint, so here's what goes into his lunchbox every day:

Sliced chicken breast on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato and pepper jack. (I poach organic chicken once or twice a week. No processed meats.)
Applesauce
Mandarin Oranges
Sliced Hothouse Cucumbers
Blanched veggies (french green beans, sugar snap peas, or pea pods)
Hummus or Greek Yogurt Dip
Grapes
Snack-size Tillamook Cheddar
Sun Chips
Small pudding or Jello

You'd think he'd be big as a house, but he has an active job. He's 6', weighs 175 and wears size 32 trousers, so I think he's okay. We started this lunch assortment when he had braces and never changed when they finally came off. I do this every day at 5:00am, plus breakfast. Man, I'm glad I'm RE, so I have time to do this every day;-). He eats breakfast while I finish making his lunch and then we walk to (his) work together. It's our favorite time of day. Sorry if that was TMI, but thanks for letting me play.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 02:22:28 AM »
Had to hike out to the main road in ice and snow because there was too much ice to get even the Jeep up to the house (my little car was trapped up here). So I didn't bother packing and hauling a lunch, just ate some oatmeal from my desk drawer with added PB and raisins. Yum. Good for warming up, too.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 05:47:49 AM »
My go-to is deli meat atop soft&smeared avocado on an open-face sandwich, and then a couple of oranges (right now--getting to the end of the season, so I'll have to find my new fruit of choice soon). Throw in lots of tap water and some coffee from the office coffeemaker, and I'm very satisfied with my lunch+snacking!

SurlyTroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 06:07:38 AM »
Ramen with sauteed tofu and mixed vegetables, a half cup of raw almonds, and an orange.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:20:29 AM by gbharrisiv »

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 07:17:52 AM »
A protein bar, banana, two small oranges, and a grapefruit.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 07:26:27 AM »
How many calories does everyone here eat in a normal day?  I'm reading some of these lunches and I would be so hungry (and grumpy) if this was all I ate for lunch every day.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »
Today is Ham and Cheese sandwich, 1 banana and 1 apple.

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »
How many calories does everyone here eat in a normal day?  I'm reading some of these lunches and I would be so hungry (and grumpy) if this was all I ate for lunch every day.

My husband and I both have really high metabolisms and work out a lot... I don't count calories but I bet it would be a lot.

Today I packed leftover broccoli cheddar soup, some nut thins, cheese and salami, and an apple (packed my husband the same lunch, but gave him more soup than I took). Also threw a pot roast in the slow cooker for dinner :).

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 08:38:09 AM »
Orange, Apple, whole wheat pita, some lettuce and tuna salad, 2 cheese sticks.  Lunch and snacks.